Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Parenting trailer

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Icewolf wrote: »
    This looks really interesting!

But, I'm kind of worried about one particular thing. I haven't seen any new hairstyles or clothes for toddlers while all the other age groups got new stuff. Or am I blind?

I think I've seen at least one new toddler outfit -- may have been in the quarterly teaser but not sure. I'm positive there's going to me more toddler content.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited May 2017
    Linking it for those that want the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lfeLagBUME

It actually looks good! My worry going into it was that if the team was uncreative, we would just see 5 different flavors of "if u refined dis skill ur sams r better at making frens n if u didnt then they bad at it hurrdurrr" with no variation on what the individual categories actually do, but traits like responsible imply there's more to it. We haven't seen a whole lot, but assuming there's at least ~6 traits and we won't see another like Bad Manners or Compassionate (those two seemingly being relationship boosts/hits; one of each is fine, we just don't want 12 seperate traits that are functionally the same from a gameplay perspective), then I'm now more optimistic.

A lot of people act like the GP team has never created something disappointing. Sorry, but I'm not into revisionist history. I still have no clue what on earth Spa Day was supposed to be aside from a glorified stuff pack, and Dine Out/Outdoor Retreat function as brief little distractions, but that's about all they can offer; they're by no means amazing.

However, Vampires was solid and easily the best pack of Sims 4 thusfar imo, and of course Vampires spawns a hope that the GP team had a little "epiphany" of sorts where they decided to start trying to incorporate more Gameplay into their packs and that Game Packs will be solid from here on out. Vampires was nice because it offered ways to customize and differentiate various vampires from one another, and this likewise looks nice because the traits seem diverse enough to again incorporate gameplay into the family playstyle.

I'm interested in seeing more now. Hopefully we learn some good news about these traits on Friday. (and good news about a patch focused on reducing lag and time distortion caused by family play...)

I feel like you're in the minority if you think the gamepacks were Meh, but more power to you.

Vampires definitely has a ton of gAmeplay compared to spa day though.

I have never been dissapointed in a game pack, but expansion packs and stuff packs let me down a lot.

I'd say as they're getting more accustomed to the game pack format and focusing attention on a single aspect, the GPs have steadily improved.

Exactly, and that's what there is to be excited about. Both for this pack and for what's to come. Vampires already had me looking forward to Witches since it's conceivable they could produce similar quality when using a similar pack style (plus Witches and Alchemy have always been super expansive and interesting), but Parenthood has me believing they're looking to try and incorporate gameplay into all aspects of development, regardless of theme. That's precisely what I want.

You can get up to 5 new traits per Sim based on parenting. Let that sink in: when you enter CAS to make your first sim, you get to pick 3 traits. This gamepack can singlehandedly provide a raised child Sim with 60% of their personality. To be fair we don't know the exact mechanics of these traits so we don't know if they're more passive like reward traits or active like Slob or Dance Machine, but still, 5 traits is nothing to sneeze at.

"Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    You know @DeservedCriticism sometimes people just want to be excited ;)

And having faith in the GP team isn't a bad thing. A lot of simmers lo-ho-ove Spa Day. I think both SP and OR are a little meh, too, but I realise there's tons of people who feel differently. Kinda like your friend isn't excited about a whole pack dedicated to a theme he/she's not into. It happens. Same with all the hate on CL. You may not like CL, but there's plenty of people that do - like me. I can't play TS4 without CL anymore, I don't even want to imagine it. CL added a lot for me. So do Parenthood, Vampires & the VG SP (yes, an SP). For others it's OR, SD & Kidsroom SP. For your friend perhaps only seasons will do. And then there's a ton of people who want pets for reasons that are, then again, beyond me.

What I'm trying to say is: sometimes, criticism and scepticism are necessary, and sometimes .. you can just let people be excited without starting an argument.

What argument am I starting...?
    You are always negative and bring others down saying the pack won't be any good. You can let everyone decide for themselves if its worth it to them.

@DeservedCriticism is not always negative. And if what he says brings others down, that's on them, not him, he doesn't control how others feel or respond to what he says. If everyone can decide if the pack is worth it to them, then they can decide if they agree or disagree with him on their own. It sounds to me that you are the one who has been brought down by his comments which means you aren't strong enough to make your own decisions and his comments hurt your feelings. "Life is pain, just keep going."
    I could careless what he says because I don't listen to people on the forums anyways unless I need help in my game about buying a game.

Awesome, then you won't mind refraining from commenting on my demeanor and we can get back to the thread topic and, yknow, discuss the pack! \o/
    I am on topic its you that is being the negative one. If you don't like the game why do you even have it?

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    sunman502 wrote: »
    dancenow13 wrote: »
    sunman502 wrote: »
    I saw three new unlockable traits at the end of the new Parenthood trailer. Those new traits are, responsible, bad manners, and compassionate. The narrator also said, ' And more' at the end. So I'm assuming that there are more than three new unlockable traits coming in Parenthood.

I think there are ten (5 negative and 5 positive, aka 2 for each character value) according to a tweet I just saw.
    I heard that too, but I don't remember where. I think that this was brought up in the Q & A about Parenthood though.

It's right there in the blog: "There are five different Character Values, each with a positive and negative outcome. The five Character Values are Manners, Responsibility, Conflict Resolution, Empathy, and Emotional Control." So all in all we get 10 (!!!) new traits as a result of the parenting system. How cool is that?!

So you could have a Sim grow up to be empathetic with good manners, but irresponsible with poor conflict resolution and emotional control. Or in other words, me. :D
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    You know @DeservedCriticism sometimes people just want to be excited ;)

And having faith in the GP team isn't a bad thing. A lot of simmers lo-ho-ove Spa Day. I think both SP and OR are a little meh, too, but I realise there's tons of people who feel differently. Kinda like your friend isn't excited about a whole pack dedicated to a theme he/she's not into. It happens. Same with all the hate on CL. You may not like CL, but there's plenty of people that do - like me. I can't play TS4 without CL anymore, I don't even want to imagine it. CL added a lot for me. So do Parenthood, Vampires & the VG SP (yes, an SP). For others it's OR, SD & Kidsroom SP. For your friend perhaps only seasons will do. And then there's a ton of people who want pets for reasons that are, then again, beyond me.

What I'm trying to say is: sometimes, criticism and scepticism are necessary, and sometimes .. you can just let people be excited without starting an argument.

What argument am I starting...?
    You are always negative and bring others down saying the pack won't be any good. You can let everyone decide for themselves if its worth it to them.

@DeservedCriticism is not always negative. And if what he says brings others down, that's on them, not him, he doesn't control how others feel or respond to what he says. If everyone can decide if the pack is worth it to them, then they can decide if they agree or disagree with him on their own. It sounds to me that you are the one who has been brought down by his comments which means you aren't strong enough to make your own decisions and his comments hurt your feelings. "Life is pain, just keep going."
    I could careless what he says because I don't listen to people on the forums anyways unless I need help in my game about buying a game.

Awesome, then you won't mind refraining from commenting on my demeanor and we can get back to the thread topic and, yknow, discuss the pack! \o/
    I am on topic its you that is being the negative one. If you don't like the game why do you even have it?

If you don't like other peoples responses, why do you come to the forums?
  • Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    @DeservedCriticism In the blog post they kind of hint at how the traits work. For example, "a child will gain the Bad Manners Trait. This will unlock new socials, like Point Out Flaws, for one. The Sim will have Whims to Swear, indicating their personal desires to act with bad manners. They’ll also change their autonomous behavior, such as preferring Rude interactions, or failing to clean the dishes."

Don't know if that helps a bit. But it seems like these traits do a whole lot more than the ones we currently have.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    @DeservedCriticism In the blog post they kind of hint at how the traits work. For example, "a child will gain the Bad Manners Trait. This will unlock new socials, like Point Out Flaws, for one. The Sim will have Whims to Swear, indicating their personal desires to act with bad manners. They’ll also change their autonomous behavior, such as preferring Rude interactions, or failing to clean the dishes."

Don't know if that helps a bit. But it seems like these traits do a whole lot more than the ones we currently have.

Right, but it could be an outlier. Responsible for example. That one I can imagine increasing their work performance automatically, and that's a nice passive, but I'm not sure how meaningful it would be on the social aspect.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being passive, either. Some of the best and most meaningful vampire powers/weaknesses are all passive. I just meant that if the vast majority are passive then ok, we won't neccesarily see our Sims acting outrageously different due to these new traits. Honestly though, that may not be a bad thing, because if they were all active and affected their persona, then as I said 60% of their persona is now governed by 10 traits. If they're all active in some way, then I expect increasing amounts of complaints about the personality traits we do have for being too weak and too few. (not that I mind that either; a trait overhaul would be great)
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited May 2017
    A whim to swear in the game. This is making me chuckle because I trying to imagine a noble vampire swearing with every other word that comes out of their mouth in the game. But then again, the swearing in the game might not be that heavy. But it sure does sound hilarious, and might have been hilarious to witness in the game. :)
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    No other iteration has had how they're raised affect their personality and adulthood so much, I'm very impressed. This will be one of my fave GPs.
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    Of COURSE there's bickering in a thread like this *rolls eyes*

Let's just be EXCITED. This is what a lot of people have been asking for and I am so beyond excited! They've answered our family play wishes and then some! And I firmly believe this won't be the last quality content related to family play!

*squeals louder than a pig*
  • Options
    IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    JimG72 wrote: »
    Icewolf wrote: »
    Let's hope so! Oh, those were new? Gotta look through the trailer again :smiley:

@Icewolf Yep. Here you go. First two are versions of the same type of new outfit. Last one is the new overalls outfit.

6tx5CCK.jpg

Aha, there they are! Thank you :smiley:
  • Options
    All this bickering over what each of us posts on here reminds me of another body of people. But I won't say what that body of people is on here because we can not go there here.
  • Options
    alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    The pack looks amazing! The character traits sound a bit like the old personality points from TS1 and TS2. <3
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    "I am on topic its you that is being the negative one. If you don't like the game why do you even have it?"

I think you're being a bit cantankerous.
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    edited May 2017
    Could we drop the pettiness and focus on the pack? The more I hear the more excited I get!

*typos
    Post edited by LolaLuvsSims on
  • Options
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    Could we drop the pettiness and focus on the pack? The more I heard the more excited I get!
    I agree 100% with the dropping of the petty bickering over Parenthood. Seriously what has all this petty bickering over Parenthood has gotten us? Absolutely zilch. So lets change the beat, shall we?
    I'll start. I thought the toddler making a mess on the floor with the paint in the trailer was cute, and she made me smile. But I'm left with wondering what else that toddlers will get to do that's new Parenthood, besides standing there and making a big mess on the floor and biting ankles. I wonder if toddlers will get to mark up the walls with paint or crayons with Parenthood. :)
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I can't stop watching the new trailer!
  • Options
    TubbieHeadTubbieHead Posts: 48 Member
    This is looking amazing!! I've pretty much loved all the game packs so far (just not interested in Vampires) but, this one might be my new fav, along with Dine Out!
  • Options
    I'll watch that trailer over and over again just to watch that cute little toddler make a big mess on the floor with the paint. She is absolutely adorable, and looks like she's having really good time doing that.
  • Options
    For some reason I feel like the only disappointment will be a lack of toddler content. We've seen no new hair, biting, shoving and mess making. I hope I am wrong because I already love this pack
  • Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    Actually, the trailer shows new clothes, mess making and biting.
  • Options
    Actually, the trailer shows new clothes, mess making and biting.

I forgot to mention the new clothes, which are really cute
  • Options
    uo_aaronjduo_aaronjd Posts: 425 Member
    So excited!!!!!
    Cant help but notice the huge improvement since a certain someone resigned for greener pastures. First toddlers, then Vamps, (even if you dont like them, the in depth vamp trait system is just wow!), and now THIS!
    Ever since the release of Sims 4 I've been on a huge roller-coaster ride. I went from being a fan-boy to a critic to pure loathing, frustration and "ma fetch me my gun", to loveing and fan-boy once again
    I cant wait to see how Pets and Seasons are handled!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
  • Options
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    For some reason I feel like the only disappointment will be a lack of toddler content. We've seen no new hair, biting, shoving and mess making. I hope I am wrong because I already love this pack
    Yeah, I too had noticed that there wasn't much shown about toddlers. Via that a trailer or a render for Parenthood.
    To any SimGuru that might listening. If there is more to toddlers stuff or toddler interactions coming in Parenthood that wasn't shown so far. May we please see them? Via short video clip or a render, I don't mind.
    And also, that cute little toddler that shown making a mess on the floor with the paints in the trailers. Will she and her family be uploaded to the Gallery? If not, could you please upload her and her family to the Gallery so that they may be downloaded to the game. She is just to adorable not to have in the game.