Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can i leave a child home with a toddler?

I want to play a super challenging file with a single mom, child, and toddler. The mom will not be able to afford a babysitter (I have mods that make jobs pay minimum wage & take out income tax) so i need a way for her to go to work without babysitter being required.

I was planning to have the mom stay home with the toddler while the child is at school, and then the child comes home and mom goes to work..

But it won't allow me to leave the toddler in the care of the child right? Is there a mod for this?

I know alternatively i can take the toddler to the work lot and leave her outside but that is obviously even less realistic than the original idea (which isnt very realistic lol)

I was thinking i could "pretend" the workplace has free daycare and leave the toddler on the lot pretending shes inside at the daycare lol. But that makes it less challenging.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• rosey1579rosey1579 Posts: 6,252 Member
    I won't lie, I got a fright when I read the title of this thread. If this was anywhere but the Sims forums...
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    I don't think you can leave a child home with a toddler or a baby. The babysitter might show up anyway or possibly the social worker. @igazor input
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    Inactives can be allowed to leave toddlers and babies home alone with a setting on the NRaas GoHere mod because the game will take care of the young ones' most basic needs for them. I don't think there is a way to do this for the actively being played household though. Although there are now child-toddler interaction mods and toddler nap mats that didn't exist before, it was never really envisioned that a child could take care of a toddler properly on their own.

Maybe the Mom should engage in some sort of open lot or work at home type of career if possible until the kids are old enough to take care of themselves?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    You need 1 skill to register as a painter than mom can work at home until the child becomes a teen or you could add another adult to the household to watch the kids while mom is at work in a rabbithole somewhere
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    That would be a tad scary to leave a child incharge of a toddler
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
    Depends on the kids, though. It might be the child who ends up traumatized by the entire scenario. :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    You can't take a toddler to a rabbithole lot and leave them outside. As soon as your adult sim goes inside, the game notifies you that you can't leave a toddler alone, and asks if you want to hire a babysitter to take the toddler home. If you chose no, the adult will come back outside.

One thing you could do though, with NRaas Master Controller, is to have the adult simply "visit" the lot, instead of actually going to work. They can take the toddler inside for a visit. Then use MC to give them the amount of money they would have earned if they had actually gone to work. I did that with my singer sim, who I wanted to have a part time job until she started getting paid gigs. I kept sending her back in to visit again, until she had put in the number of hours I wanted her to work.

What I would do myself in that situation, though is to have the mother make money from a skill until the toddler ages up. I actually had a game like that, a single mom with a child and twin toddlers. She painted to earn money while the toddlers were small, but she also had to train them. I put a few buydebug plants on her lot, and pretended they were wild apples, grapes, lettuce, onions, and garlic, because those do grow in the wild where I live. So she was able to harvest them for food, until the toddlers got older. She lived in a tiny, run-down log cabin with an "outhouse."
  • 1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    I am currently playing a witch, Emily, with a toddler, Emma, in Dragon Valley. She was persecuted and her husband was killed. She fled for her life with her baby, Emma, and was grateful to find a haven with the Elves. She works as a painter. That was all she could do because she couldn't afford a babysitter - or any more costly gear for sculpting or writing. She didn't know how to cook and the stove burned up. For a while all she could eat was salad and peanut butter sandwiches. Eventually she sold a painting that covered a babysitter for a day. She went straight to the dumpsters and collected garbage for hours. The few items she managed to restore, she sold for books for the baby. It was so hard, but Emma is in grade school now and doing well. With greater freedom, Emily has managed to become quite the gem collector - she found a tiberium - and can finally give Emma all she deserves. They built a loft up in the roof just for Emma to have her own bedroom, and they expanded the old root cellar so Emily can finally get back to brewing potions like her mom taught her. They even have a broom riding ring in the back yard!

Emma will eventually go away to college and discover the dangers and the prejudice and fear people have - she is a witch, too. There is a good chance she will move to a more modern town to start her own family. Because of this, Emily's life long wish is to come up with a permanent cure for the curse of the supernatural. She will cure Emma before she comes into her own powers. Then it will be Emma's choice if she wants to reclaim that heritage with another brew. Time will tell...
  • notetoself00xnotetoself00x Posts: 499 Member
    rosey1579 wrote: »
    I won't lie, I got a fright when I read the title of this thread. If this was anywhere but the Sims forums...

HAHA right?! The huuuge difference between my life and the life of my sims... totally scary!
    I don't think you can leave a child home with a toddler or a baby. The babysitter might show up anyway or possibly the social worker. @igazor input

Gotcha! Thats what I figured :/ thank you!
    igazor wrote: »
    Inactives can be allowed to leave toddlers and babies home alone with a setting on the NRaas GoHere mod because the game will take care of the young ones' most basic needs for them. I don't think there is a way to do this for the actively being played household though. Although there are now child-toddler interaction mods and toddler nap mats that didn't exist before, it was never really envisioned that a child could take care of a toddler properly on their own.

Maybe the Mom should engage in some sort of open lot or work at home type of career if possible until the kids are old enough to take care of themselves?

Interesting!! I figured it was a stretch if someone made that possible in a mod because it is definitely not something that people ever hear of (hopefully) in real life! Work at home sounds like a good idea though!! Thank you:)
    You need 1 skill to register as a painter than mom can work at home until the child becomes a teen or you could add another adult to the household to watch the kids while mom is at work in a rabbithole somewhere

I'm considering having a second adult. I love painter sims but i want to stay away from any income other than rabbithole working with my minimum wage mod! Lol i really like big challenges :P but i was thinking maybe a grandmom or something!

Totally true!!! I would be too afraid to come home in the sims, let alone rl... hopefully none of us would ever do that in real life! Dont worry guys, i am only crazy/evil with my sims... lol
    igazor wrote: »
    Depends on the kids, though. It might be the child who ends up traumatized by the entire scenario. :p

Hahaha very true!
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    You can't take a toddler to a rabbithole lot and leave them outside. As soon as your adult sim goes inside, the game notifies you that you can't leave a toddler alone, and asks if you want to hire a babysitter to take the toddler home. If you chose no, the adult will come back outside.

One thing you could do though, with NRaas Master Controller, is to have the adult simply "visit" the lot, instead of actually going to work. They can take the toddler inside for a visit. Then use MC to give them the amount of money they would have earned if they had actually gone to work. I did that with my singer sim, who I wanted to have a part time job until she started getting paid gigs. I kept sending her back in to visit again, until she had put in the number of hours I wanted her to work.

What I would do myself in that situation, though is to have the mother make money from a skill until the toddler ages up. I actually had a game like that, a single mom with a child and twin toddlers. She painted to earn money while the toddlers were small, but she also had to train them. I put a few buydebug plants on her lot, and pretended they were wild apples, grapes, lettuce, onions, and garlic, because those do grow in the wild where I live. So she was able to harvest them for food, until the toddlers got older. She lived in a tiny, run-down log cabin with an "outhouse."

Oh i didnt know that! I havent tried it but i assumed only because ive had adult sims grocery shop and what not while the child stays outside lol. And i have done that before, with keeping them on the lot & manually paying them! Good idea..the only thing about bringing the toddler to the lot during "work" though is that it isnt quite realistic to bring your kid to work lol thats why im trying to come up with some sort of realistic child care situation (well.. a child caring for a toddler is NOT realistic hahaha) but you know what i mean! Also your game sounds super fun/challenging! I just dont want her earning that much from painting... hmm! Thank you for your ideas!! All something to think about!
    I am currently playing a witch, Emily, with a toddler, Emma, in Dragon Valley. She was persecuted and her husband was killed. She fled for her life with her baby, Emma, and was grateful to find a haven with the Elves. She works as a painter. That was all she could do because she couldn't afford a babysitter - or any more costly gear for sculpting or writing. She didn't know how to cook and the stove burned up. For a while all she could eat was salad and peanut butter sandwiches. Eventually she sold a painting that covered a babysitter for a day. She went straight to the dumpsters and collected garbage for hours. The few items she managed to restore, she sold for books for the baby. It was so hard, but Emma is in grade school now and doing well. With greater freedom, Emily has managed to become quite the gem collector - she found a tiberium - and can finally give Emma all she deserves. They built a loft up in the roof just for Emma to have her own bedroom, and they expanded the old root cellar so Emily can finally get back to brewing potions like her mom taught her. They even have a broom riding ring in the back yard!

Emma will eventually go away to college and discover the dangers and the prejudice and fear people have - she is a witch, too. There is a good chance she will move to a more modern town to start her own family. Because of this, Emily's life long wish is to come up with a permanent cure for the curse of the supernatural. She will cure Emma before she comes into her own powers. Then it will be Emma's choice if she wants to reclaim that heritage with another brew. Time will tell...

Wow!!! Such a cool story! I love it :D and that sounds like a super fun challenge... i am just a little hesitant because ive done similar challenges with painting collecting etc and it brings in money too easily IMO! I like super realistic games usually so I feel like in a real situation working some minimum wage job would be her only option with no skills.. but maybe i will set limits or something on how much she can paint.. idk!! Thank you for your input!!
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited May 2017
    IreneSwift wrote: »

Oh i didnt know that! I havent tried it but i assumed only because ive had adult sims grocery shop and what not while the child stays outside lol. And i have done that before, with keeping them on the lot & manually paying them! Good idea..the only thing about bringing the toddler to the lot during "work" though is that it isnt quite realistic to bring your kid to work lol thats why im trying to come up with some sort of realistic child care situation (well.. a child caring for a toddler is NOT realistic hahaha) but you know what i mean! Also your game sounds super fun/challenging! I just dont want her earning that much from painting... hmm! Thank you for your ideas!! All something to think about!

Although it isn't common, there are businesses that have on-site daycare for the employees' children. You could pretend her employer provided that.

What made that game extra challenging is that the mother couldn't leave the lot at all, because there was no way she could take both toddlers with her, without hiring a babysitter, which she had no money for. While they were still toddlers, she wasn't able to earn much, because it takes a lot of time to take care of toddlers and train them. So she didn't get much painting done at all until they were fully trained. And at the lower skill levels, they don't get much for their paintings anyway.
  • SoraLiatzuSoraLiatzu Posts: 6 New Member
    My child and toddlers always stay home together without a babysitter. No mods either. Is it just me???
  • xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    SoraLiatzu wrote: »
    My child and toddlers always stay home together without a babysitter. No mods either. Is it just me???

same, however you could say that it is quite scary and you would not do it in real life!
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • SimsyGirl123SimsyGirl123 Posts: 11 New Member
    This is not really a relivant question but I've just started the 100 baby challenge. My sim has a man that she has the children with but they are not dating or married. Four days ago my sim invited him to stay the night. Since then he has not left and the "Ask to Leave" option has disabled on him. He cleans the house and sometimes cooks, but he is horrible for my sim toddler, Tia. (I just started the challenge) He leaves her unattended in the highchair with no food while the mom is at work. He does not even come back to check on her as she screams and cries. Since he is not a part of my household, I can't make him let her out. So I have to send my sim home from work just to let Tia out of her highchair. The worst part is he doesn't even have a job. Although the reasonable choice would to make him become my boyfriend, he has the noncommital trait and becomes tense wen my sim suggests dating. I just want him out of my house already! With another baby on the way, I don't want him to be taking care of my sim's next child. Please help!
    edited May 2017
    This is not really a relivant question but I've just started the 100 baby challenge. My sim has a man that she has the children with but they are not dating or married. Four days ago my sim invited him to stay the night. Since then he has not left and the "Ask to Leave" option has disabled on him. He cleans the house and sometimes cooks, but he is horrible for my sim toddler, Tia. (I just started the challenge) He leaves her unattended in the highchair with no food while the mom is at work. He does not even come back to check on her as she screams and cries. Since he is not a part of my household, I can't make him let her out. So I have to send my sim home from work just to let Tia out of her highchair. The worst part is he doesn't even have a job. Although the reasonable choice would to make him become my boyfriend, he has the noncommital trait and becomes tense wen my sim suggests dating. I just want him out of my house already! With another baby on the way, I don't want him to be taking care of my sim's next child. Please help!
    Glancing at your posting history here, before offering a solution I have to ask -- are you playing TS3 or TS4? This is the TS3 section of the forum, the way to proceed will not be the same as the games are very different from each other.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Get a plumbot with the robonanny chip, and you'll have no issues leaving the toddler and child home alone with it. But you did say this mom has no money, so......

Its just one suggestion.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • AsunaSama10AsunaSama10 Posts: 30 New Member
    The title scared me so much
  • myselfiesimsmyselfiesims Posts: 16 New Member
    [quote="notetoself00x;d-918329"]I want to play a super challenging file with a single mom, child, and toddler. The mom will not be able to afford a babysitter (I have mods that make jobs pay minimum wage & take out income tax) so i need a way for her to go to work without babysitter being required.

I was planning to have the mom stay home with the toddler while the child is at school, and then the child comes home and mom goes to work..

But it won't allow me to leave the toddler in the care of the child right? Is there a mod for this?

I know alternatively i can take the toddler to the work lot and leave her outside but that is obviously even less realistic than the original idea (which isnt very realistic lol)

I was thinking i could "pretend" the workplace has free daycare and leave the toddler on the lot pretending shes inside at the daycare lol. But that makes it less challenging.

Any thoughts?[/quote]

I found a fix/loophole if you have the teleport any sim mod then if you click on a sim it gives you the option "Just go away!" If you press the immediately leave the lot. Then your and toddler will be home alone...

Or if you have MC command center then in the section "MC Cheats" it will have the option to "Make Sim Leave" if you press that if will also make them immediately leave the lot. Now it may say you can't leave them alone but just hire another and they will not show up...

Hope this helped(I know it's a little late but)
    edited November 2017
    I found a fix/loophole if you have the teleport any sim mod then if you click on a sim it gives you the option "Just go away!" If you press the immediately leave the lot. Then your and toddler will be home alone...

Or if you have MC command center then in the section "MC Cheats" it will have the option to "Make Sim Leave" if you press that if will also make them immediately leave the lot. Now it may say you can't leave them alone but just hire another and they will not show up...

Hope this helped(I know it's a little late but)
    While I am sure your advice is sound and proper, it's for TS4. There could be some confusion there as other players read this, there is no such option on the TS3 kind of MC. You are I believe referring to the MC Command Center, which is not an NRaas mod.

This thread and the original question are on the TS3 section of the forum. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!