Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Parenting trailer

Comments

• Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    dancenow13 wrote: »
    sunman502 wrote: »
    I saw three new unlockable traits at the end of the new Parenthood trailer. Those new traits are, responsible, bad manners, and compassionate. The narrator also said, ' And more' at the end. So I'm assuming that there are more than three new unlockable traits coming in Parenthood.

I think there are ten (5 negative and 5 positive, aka 2 for each character value) according to a tweet I just saw.
    I heard that too, but I don't remember where. I think that this was brought up in the Q & A about Parenthood though.
  • Options
    simmer_whoviansimmer_whovian Posts: 275 Member
    I saw three new unlockable traits at the end of the new Parenthood trailer. Those new traits are, responsible, bad manners, and compassionate. The narrator also said, ' And more' at the end. So I'm assuming that there are more than three new unlockable traits coming in Parenthood.

I think there are ten (5 negative and 5 positive, aka 2 for each character value) according to a tweet I just saw.
    I heard that too, but I don't remember where. I think that this was brought up in the Q & A about Parenthood though.

It's right there in the blog: "There are five different Character Values, each with a positive and negative outcome. The five Character Values are Manners, Responsibility, Conflict Resolution, Empathy, and Emotional Control." So all in all we get 10 (!!!) new traits as a result of the parenting system. How cool is that?!

• Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    I still have no clue what on earth Spa Day was supposed to be aside from a glorified stuff pack

For me Spa Day is easily the best game pack. Name one venue type from TS1/2/3/4 that's as fleshed out as the spa from Spa Day. I enjoy The Sims very much for its simulation and prefer watching Sims doing their own things than controlling them. Spa in TS4 offers some of the most true-to-life simulation of a real life public place and it's just amazingly done.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options

It's right there in the blog: "There are five different Character Values, each with a positive and negative outcome. The five Character Values are Manners, Responsibility, Conflict Resolution, Empathy, and Emotional Control." So all in all we get 10 (!!!) new traits as a result of the parenting system. How cool is that?!
    I knew that I read that somewhere before, but I just couldn't remember where. Thank you for reminding me of where I read that from. ;):)
    So we now know what two of these new good traits, and one of the bad traits are called. Thanks to the new parenting trailer. :)
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    I still have no clue what on earth Spa Day was supposed to be aside from a glorified stuff pack

For me Spa Day is easily the best game pack. Name one venue type from TS1/2/3/4 that's as fleshed out as the spa from Spa Day. I enjoy The Sims very much for its simulation and prefer watching Sims doing their own things than controlling them. Spa in TS4 offers some of the most true-to-life simulation of a real life public place and it's just amazingly done.

Same here! This pack is also very calming actually. If you have one sim on top of a high place doing some yoga and listening to that new-age channel it brings so much harmony and peace to you, if I really need to relax I let my sims do that. They enjoy it and I do to. The only pack I would actually pay 40 bucks for if i'm being even more honest. Payed 20 for City life but gameplay wise these two should be switched for me.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    edited May 2017

10 new traits are possible to earn!
    I got that. Thank you for filling us in on that SimGuruNinja. :)
    ETA: I don't know if you can answer this or not SimGuruNinja. But I have just one question about these new traits. Will they be divided equally, say like 5 good traits and 5 bad traits or not? :)
  • Options
    SimGuruNinjaSimGuruNinja Posts: 992 SimGuru

ETA: I don't know if you can answer this or not SimGuruNinja. But I have just one question about these new traits. Will they be divided equally, say like 5 good traits and 5 bad traits or not? :)

There's 5 good traits and 5 bad ones.
    Your sims can receive 0 to 5 traits based on how they were raised.
    These could be all good, all bad, or a combo of both.
  • Options

Awesome, thank you for answering SimGuruNinja. :)
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member

If it's possible to answer one more question, i'd like to have an answer to something. So there are 5 good and 5 bad traits, but do all sims recieve those full 5 traits, or is it possible to only end up with three traits for your children. Because if they earn five i'm wondering if those five traits replace the traits you normally choose for them in CAS (where you can pick three). I hope you understand what I mean :D
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    lyralyra Posts: 420 Member
    I am so excited for this. I'm wondering if you can add character traits in CAS to YAs/Adults who were aged up before the gamepack was installed?
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited May 2017
    Skobee wrote: »

If it's possible to answer one more question, i'd like to have an answer to something. So there are 5 good and 5 bad traits, but do all sims recieve those full 5 traits, or is it possible to only end up with three traits for your children. Because if they earn five i'm wondering if those five traits replace the traits you normally choose for them in CAS (where you can pick three). I hope you understand what I mean :D

From SGNinja's answer I think not all sims will receive all 5 character values traits. Some sims could receive only 1 and some could even not receive any at all. And I think those character values traits are in addition to your sims' regular 3 traits...I'm not sure though?
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited May 2017

My interpretation is that the new traits function like reward traits, except we earn them through gameplay rather than buying them with points.

Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

According to simguruninja, you can earn 0 to 5 good ones, 0 to 5 bad ones, or any combination of 0 to 5.
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited May 2017
    Icewolf wrote: »
    But, I'm kind of worried about one particular thing. I haven't seen any new hairstyles or clothes for toddlers while all the other age groups got new stuff. Or am I blind?

@Icewolf We haven't seen any new toddler hairstyles yet....although I'm sure the livestream will show all the new CAS so we'll find out for sure there. But we've definitely seen 2 new toddler outfits in the trailers. There's the tracksuit looking piece of clothing that one toddler wears in the trailers. It's pink with off-white sleeves and hood. Then, there's another toddler gathered around the table during a science project who's wearing an overall set with long pants on the overalls and long sleeves. Both those are new.

• Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited May 2017
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    You know @DeservedCriticism sometimes people just want to be excited ;)

And having faith in the GP team isn't a bad thing. A lot of simmers lo-ho-ove Spa Day. I think both SP and OR are a little meh, too, but I realise there's tons of people who feel differently. Kinda like your friend isn't excited about a whole pack dedicated to a theme he/she's not into. It happens. Same with all the hate on CL. You may not like CL, but there's plenty of people that do - like me. I can't play TS4 without CL anymore, I don't even want to imagine it. CL added a lot for me. So do Parenthood, Vampires & the VG SP (yes, an SP). For others it's OR, SD & Kidsroom SP. For your friend perhaps only seasons will do. And then there's a ton of people who want pets for reasons that are, then again, beyond me.

What I'm trying to say is: sometimes, criticism and scepticism are necessary, and sometimes .. you can just let people be excited without starting an argument.

What argument am I starting...?
    You are always negative and bring others down saying the pack won't be any good. You can let everyone decide for themselves if its worth it to them.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    JimG72 wrote: »
    But, I'm kind of worried about one particular thing. I haven't seen any new hairstyles or clothes for toddlers while all the other age groups got new stuff. Or am I blind?

@Icewolf We haven't seen any new toddler hairstyles yet....although I'm sure the livestream will show all the new CAS so we'll find out for sure there. But we've definitely seen 2 new toddler outfits in the trailers. There's the tracksuit looking piece of clothing that one toddler wears in the trailers. It's pink with off-white sleeves and hood. Then, there's another toddler gathered around the table during a science project who's wearing an overall set with long pants on the overalls and long sleeves. Both those are new.

Let's hope so! Oh, those were new? Gotta look through the trailer again :smiley:
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member

My interpretation is that the new traits function like reward traits, except we earn them through gameplay rather than buying them with points.

That's what I think too. So a sim could potentially have 3 regular traits + up to 5 character value traits + whatever reward traits you buy them
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Let's hope so! Oh, those were new? Gotta look through the trailer again :smiley:

@Icewolf Yep. Here you go. First two are versions of the same type of new outfit. Last one is the new overalls outfit.

6tx5CCK.jpg

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

And having faith in the GP team isn't a bad thing. A lot of simmers lo-ho-ove Spa Day. I think both SP and OR are a little meh, too, but I realise there's tons of people who feel differently. Kinda like your friend isn't excited about a whole pack dedicated to a theme he/she's not into. It happens. Same with all the hate on CL. You may not like CL, but there's plenty of people that do - like me. I can't play TS4 without CL anymore, I don't even want to imagine it. CL added a lot for me. So do Parenthood, Vampires & the VG SP (yes, an SP). For others it's OR, SD & Kidsroom SP. For your friend perhaps only seasons will do. And then there's a ton of people who want pets for reasons that are, then again, beyond me.

What I'm trying to say is: sometimes, criticism and scepticism are necessary, and sometimes .. you can just let people be excited without starting an argument.

You are always negative and bring others down saying the pack won't be any good. You can let everyone decide for themselves if its worth it to them.

@DeservedCriticism is not always negative. And if what he says brings others down, that's on them, not him, he doesn't control how others feel or respond to what he says. If everyone can decide if the pack is worth it to them, then they can decide if they agree or disagree with him on their own. It sounds to me that you are the one who has been brought down by his comments which means you aren't strong enough to make your own decisions and his comments hurt your feelings. "Life is pain, just keep going."
  • Options

I believe that I can answer that. In SimGuruNinja's response to my post. He stated that your sim can receive 0 to 5 traits. And they can either be all good, all bad, or a combination of both good and bad. Meaning that your sim can receive no traits up to 5 traits, and that they can be all good traits, all bad traits, or a mixture of both.
    But now this has raised a new question about these new traits in my mind. Will there be traits that will conflict with one another among these new traits or will they be all neutral to one another?
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited May 2017
    Aw it's just how you keep pointing out in nearly every thread that people shouldn't praise the GP team too much, or that they're too loyal, or unable to understand development (at least that's what it sounds like), and so on. Anyway, I don't want to argue over this point either, just .. you know, telling you that there's no harm in letting a happy community be happy for a while.

I posted in threads wanting to pre-order or thanking the GP team when we had a 1 minute trailer. How is it unreasonable to advise people to wait and not to put the cart (praising the pack and thanking the team) before the horse? (playing it or waiting to see more in-depth looks at the features)

I posted in those same threads that perhaps when you're putting the cart before the horse, it's a sign of too much loyalty. How is that an unreasonable possibility?

In this thread, I praised the Game Pack team for what I consider to be evidence they're moving in a direction I consider healthy for gameplay, and that I look forward to more of their work. Instead of acknowledging that, you call me out as "starting an argument" because...because I dared compare these recent packs to their former work that I was less impressed with? That is the very definition of constructive criticism: point out work you didn't like and work that you did. The only way I could make it better is to explain why I didn't like Spa Day, which I don't want to do because I don't want to distract from the thread topic and more importantly, I see no purpose on dwelling on my complaints about Spa Day when those very same problems don't seem to be repeating themselves ever again; why complain about something that's already been "fixed?" I'd gladly bring up detailed complaints about "mistakes" or unliked features I see repeated over and over, but that one hasn't been repeated, so no purpose in dwelling on it.

If I cannot post the slightest bit of criticism within what's largely overall a glowing compliment without you viewing this as me "starting an argument," then that's on you.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

@DeservedCriticism is not always negative. And if what he says brings others down, that's on them, not him, he doesn't control how others feel or respond to what he says. If everyone can decide if the pack is worth it to them, then they can decide if they agree or disagree with him on their own. It sounds to me that you are the one who has been brought down by his comments which means you aren't strong enough to make your own decisions and his comments hurt your feelings. "Life is pain, just keep going."
    I could careless what he says because I don't listen to people on the forums anyways unless I need help in my game about buying a game. I would buy it because I want it not because someone said it was bad I will be the judge if I like it or not its my game.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

I could careless what he says because I don't listen to people on the forums anyways unless I need help in my game about buying a game.

Awesome, then you won't mind refraining from commenting on my demeanor and we can get back to the thread topic and, yknow, discuss the pack! \o/
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Linking it for those that want the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lfeLagBUME

It actually looks good! My worry going into it was that if the team was uncreative, we would just see 5 different flavors of "if u refined dis skill ur sams r better at making frens n if u didnt then they bad at it hurrdurrr" with no variation on what the individual categories actually do, but traits like responsible imply there's more to it. We haven't seen a whole lot, but assuming there's at least ~6 traits and we won't see another like Bad Manners or Compassionate (those two seemingly being relationship boosts/hits; one of each is fine, we just don't want 12 seperate traits that are functionally the same from a gameplay perspective), then I'm now more optimistic.

A lot of people act like the GP team has never created something disappointing. Sorry, but I'm not into revisionist history. I still have no clue what on earth Spa Day was supposed to be aside from a glorified stuff pack, and Dine Out/Outdoor Retreat function as brief little distractions, but that's about all they can offer; they're by no means amazing.

However, Vampires was solid and easily the best pack of Sims 4 thusfar imo, and of course Vampires spawns a hope that the GP team had a little "epiphany" of sorts where they decided to start trying to incorporate more Gameplay into their packs and that Game Packs will be solid from here on out. Vampires was nice because it offered ways to customize and differentiate various vampires from one another, and this likewise looks nice because the traits seem diverse enough to again incorporate gameplay into the family playstyle.

I'm interested in seeing more now. Hopefully we learn some good news about these traits on Friday. (and good news about a patch focused on reducing lag and time distortion caused by family play...)

I feel like you're in the minority if you think the gamepacks were Meh, but more power to you.

Vampires definitely has a ton of gAmeplay compared to spa day though.

I have never been dissapointed in a game pack, but expansion packs and stuff packs let me down a lot.

Outdoor Retreat is probably the weakest, but since it was the first GP ever they may have still been feeling out what they can include in a GP overall and still keep it focused. I enjoy it for what it is -- I use it for honeymoons if my Sims have time for one, and also for artist's retreats for my painters and photographers.

I like Dine Out but I'm not interested in owning/managing restaurants so I use them for sending my Sims out to eat. I like that you don't have to own the restaurant to set the menu, so I have a restaurant in San Myshuno that has all the food cart foods so it'll be easy for my Sims to find them.

I'd say as they're getting more accustomed to the game pack format and focusing attention on a single aspect, the GPs have steadily improved.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)