Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Builders Need More Representation

ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
Does EA invite builders, other than speed builders from YouTube, to events anymore? When I was invited to EA events, I always went with the idea of sharing information that pertains to builders here on the forums. I always tried to provide information related to anything about building by providing pictures of build/buy objects, describing how any new tools introduced worked, etc., etc. We don't get that from any participants anymore (at least here on the forums). It's all about game play in the reviews. When I went to TS4 Creator's Camp, I tried to post every picture of the buy objects in the game! This helps builders to plan ahead and get excited about what was coming. We don't see any builders doing that anymore, so I am wondering, are builders being represented as well as they should be. Building, I would say, is half this game! Give it the representation it deserves!!!
Please do not think that I am plugging this for myself. I have had my turn to participate in events through the years, and there are many great builders out there that deserve a chance to represent us builders. Please give a builder a chance who frequents the forums more than other social media. There is little to no information about up coming content pertaining to builders here on the forum. It would be nice to have someone who would post information on the forums, rather than Facebook, Twitter, etc. I know a lot of people use those services, but not all of us do. It would be nice to see more information posted here, in addition to there, so that those of us who like to use the forums exclusively are not left out of new information and reviews.
fkgck4xkargo.png
"If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams

Comments

• MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    True.
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited May 2017
    I see that this thread was moved from General Discussion to Speculation and Rumors. I fail to see how I speculated anything in my post. What I stated was simply an observation, no rumors or guessing going on here. If I am wrong, could someone please explain why?

It seems for some reason I am not allowed to post in General Discussion! :/
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    Whoops! I see it says "Speculation and Rumors " in quotes at the top, but right under it it says General Discussion! I don't get it! :blush:
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    speculations and rumors is a category within general discussion :)
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    speculations and rumors is a category within general discussion :)

Okay, didn't realize that. Thanks. :)
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • wynwyn Posts: 901 Member
    You can tell they don't care about the forums, you don't even seen Gurus here, they' mostly just post on twitter, so I always miss stuff because I refuse to make a twitter account.
    Origin ID: WyntirLily
  • SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    But yeah it seems like YouTube is all the rage these days when it comes to sims anyway. All the popular kids are on youtube
    But yeah it seems like YouTube is all the rage these days when it comes to sims anyway. All the popular kids are on youtube

I agree that there are MANY people that enjoy alternative forms of social media to the forums, but there are MANY people who only use the forums, too! Please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to knock YouTube, but it just seems that we are being ignored here on the forums. :( At least builders wise.

fkgck4xkargo.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,703 Member
    edited May 2017
    I think this may have been moved to the wrong category? It's not about feedback for the forum.

I'm not a builder which is why I so appreciate what the building community does. I do hope you get more representation in the game.
    I think this may have been moved to the wrong category? It's not about feedback for the forum.

I'm not a builder which is why I so appreciate what the building community does. I do hope you get more representation in the game.

I think EA is playing mind games with me, that or they're trying to bury this thread into obscurity! :/
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited May 2017
    It looks like it has been moved again since I saw this last.

I agree, @ehaught58 This is not speculation or rumour. Maybe they haven't got used to the new forum layout themselves!

I've got a bit bored with the same old stuff and my attention has wandered to the opposition. (I've just downloaded 3 packs of C .Skylines for £17.45 (uk) just now so off trying that out until 30th May and Parenthood.

I still like Sims4 but builders are neglected.
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    ehaught58 wrote: »

I think EA is playing mind games with me, that or they're trying to bury this thread into obscurity! :/

They came for the early dissenters, burying the posts in speculation and feedback, and now they're coming for the fans, because talking about building representation in the EA community at large is totally forum feedback... totally... smh.

Dunh dunh dunh... who's next? Anyone still longing for that colour wheel? Open world? :smirk:

Anyway, on a serious note, I'd have to say that I don't think EA is off the mark in their move to use "influencers" from the youtube community and to ignore forum users. In one of my class studies we actually went over "influencers" and how users were no longer being marketed to but rather their social network was the intention of marketing. So it's not about whether or not the speed builders even represent builders, they have a visible, measurable number of followers who EA can market to and that is the target audience. This forum does not spread EA information, it's just a feeding pool for existing fans and potential spam bots. Communities aren't about the fans any more, it's just maths. And marketing to existing fans with an unknown network doesn't add up. This isn't an EA thing, it's a business in general thing and it's working. For me it's just an example of consumer hive mind... :unamused:

There are some gurus who still visit the forum who demonstrate personality, so you're not just getting corporate schlock posts, but someone involved with the project is communicating with you. Also, you do know that they are making an SP based solely on user feedback and there is a thread that you can post ideas on, yeah? Outside of that, I reckon if you find one of those gurus who's interested in building--if there happen to be any of the ones who still occasionally drop by--you can start up a back-n-forth post with them--like some players do concerning mods and the game technical details. That way you (or some other builder fan) can represent other builders in this forum sharing ideas and learning tips? I dunno... Anyway, good luck, and I hope you can continue to enjoy your building whether you get representation or not.

They came for the early dissenters, burying the posts in speculation and feedback, and now they're coming for the fans, because talking about building representation in the EA community at large is totally forum feedback... totally... smh.

Dunh dunh dunh... who's next? Anyone still longing for that colour wheel? Open world? :smirk:

Anyway, on a serious note, I'd have to say that I don't think EA is off the mark in their move to use "influencers" from the youtube community and to ignore forum users. In one of my class studies we actually went over "influencers" and how users were no longer being marketed to but rather their social network was the intention of marketing. So it's not about whether or not the speed builders even represent builders, they have a visible, measurable number of followers who EA can market to and that is the target audience. This forum does not spread EA information, it's just a feeding pool for existing fans and potential spam bots. Communities aren't about the fans any more, it's just maths. And marketing to existing fans with an unknown network doesn't add up. This isn't an EA thing, it's a business in general thing and it's working. For me it's just an example of consumer hive mind... :unamused:

There are some gurus who still visit the forum who demonstrate personality, so you're not just getting corporate schlock posts, but someone involved with the project is communicating with you. Also, you do know that they are making an SP based solely on user feedback and there is a thread that you can post ideas on, yeah? Outside of that, I reckon if you find one of those gurus who's interested in building--if there happen to be any of the ones who still occasionally drop by--you can start up a back-n-forth post with them--like some players do concerning mods and the game technical details. That way you (or some other builder fan) can represent other builders in this forum sharing ideas and learning tips? I dunno... Anyway, good luck, and I hope you can continue to enjoy your building whether you get representation or not.

Yeah, you're probably right. I just don't think we are going to see any of the building tools that we have been asking for. I really think that the game engine is severely limited in what it can do, as far as building is concerned. We are probably halfway through TS4s run, and I would have thought that we would have had them by now. Sad... :(
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    edited May 2017
    More complaining that's what we need so don't give up.

I don't mind if they copy all of Sims 2. 3 stuff into Sims 4. It doesn't matter to me as long as we get more. :'(
  • plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    Maybe they retracted into their shell over building? Are hobbyist builders better than them?

I remember berating them a few months back over shoddy builds in TS4. Window placement in particular - schoolboy errors - ie windows being placed too high for a Sim to see out of the windows. Willow Creek is a good place to notice this - some front windows are at a correct height and yet side and rear windows are placed a stage higher - but unrealistic to a Sim.

It is down to us to manually correct this stuff. I got fed up of re-positioning windows, then realised it was widespread in TS4 when I started to play different houses.

I am not a house-builder, but it was really, really obvious that those windows were shoddy - once you see it, you will not be able to unsee it.

I literally had to explain that, when building a house, put a Sim inside the house so that you can position windows correctly. Must have hit a raw nerve.

Anyway, if anyone does get invited to EA, then remind them about the window placement - suggest placing a Sim inside the house as a reference point.
    edited May 2017
    Have EA/Maxis given up caring for builders in their concentration on emotions and play?

A representative from us also should push them to do something about stairs placed next to an outside wall with wallpapers affecting both inside and outside of that wall and affecting upstairs floors and ceilings -and the inability to put curtains up on both of two adjacent corner windows.

It always seems to me that someone was made redundant or moved on before they finished what they were doing.

It would be helpful to have two threads of "play" bugs and "build" bugs if these are dealt with by different people as these things perpetually annoy especially to me who likes to make small British type houses and not the American mansion types with central stairways.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    Does EA invite builders, other than speed builders from YouTube, to events anymore? When I was invited to EA events, I always went with the idea of sharing information that pertains to builders here on the forums. I always tried to provide information related to anything about building by providing pictures of build/buy objects, describing how any new tools introduced worked, etc., etc. We don't get that from any participants anymore (at least here on the forums). It's all about game play in the reviews. When I went to TS4 Creator's Camp, I tried to post every picture of the buy objects in the game! This helps builders to plan ahead and get excited about what was coming. We don't see any builders doing that anymore, so I am wondering, are builders being represented as well as they should be. Building, I would say, is half this game! Give it the representation it deserves!!!
    Please do not think that I am plugging this for myself. I have had my turn to participate in events through the years, and there are many great builders out there that deserve a chance to represent us builders. Please give a builder a chance who frequents the forums more than other social media. There is little to no information about up coming content pertaining to builders here on the forum. It would be nice to have someone who would post information on the forums, rather than Facebook, Twitter, etc. I know a lot of people use those services, but not all of us do. It would be nice to see more information posted here, in addition to there, so that those of us who like to use the forums exclusively are not left out of new information and reviews.

I like this post. I didn't know that EA had builders events in the past. That is a pretty neat idea. I hate to say it, but the sims is not what it used to be. It seems to have lost the sense of pride it had. But I won't go into that now.

It would be pretty neat if new cities came with these houses that were created at these events. There is a good amount of people that despise house building, but that is half of the reason why I love this game. It lets you be creative! I love building a house and designing it. I feel like TS4 took a lot away from the build mode compared against TS2 and 3. For example you can't terraform nor make a basement using the foundation. Also no house phones and cars/garages? Really?
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    wyn wrote: »
    You can tell they don't care about the forums, you don't even seen Gurus here, they' mostly just post on twitter, so I always miss stuff because I refuse to make a twitter account.

I feel like newcommers need to be encouraged to come to the forum. Maybe for some kind of sims store reward. I have re-discovered the forums a month ago and I love it.