Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @MiaSkywalker If you don't have a single central square, remove the 4 and you can then even use the rounded pool edges to make it a circle :)
  • Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited May 2017
    @MiaSkywalker Ooh! I have an idea! Remove the center square of the pool and make that floor - so it's on the right 'floor' and add the fountain to that square so it looks like that is part of the fountain. Then it should show up correctly.
    @MiaSkywalker If you don't have a single central square, remove the 4 and you can then even use the rounded pool edges to make it a circle :)
    Hm... those are things to try. I hadn't thought of that.

I noticed, interestingly, that when in build mode if I went to the floor below (where it appears) and then came back to the floor where it's supposed to be, it DOES appear. I couldn't check live mode while in DV, so I'll check it in my test world.

If all else fails, and your current suggestions don't work (I'll try those), but if going between floors "fixes" it, I may just let it ride, and figure that only if a player looks at the lowest level (where the tomb is - which would be initially invisible - and the pool itself is), then he'll get to see the fountain effect in the pool. Oh well. :)

Edit: Can't do it. Can't undo the pool area in the middle of the pool in order to put the flooring in. Apparently the pool is a little too small. I could try to enlarge it, but as it is there isn't a lot of walking area around it, so I didn't want to make it any bigger. Apparently I have to forget about using the fountain effects. I was wrong, and the fountain effects won't appear by going to the lower floor first.
  • Options
    @Creativemetaphor:

Whoot! Finished at last! My final testing run had no bugs in it, and everything worked perfectly. Huzzah! :smiley:

I've decided not to worry about the fountain thing. I've found that if you go into build mode, click on it, then hit escape, it miraculously pops to the correct floor. I have NO idea why it does that, but then if you place the lot again, it goes back to being on the wrong floor. This means any player placing the lot would have to do this the first time. I'm just not going to worry about the vagaries of fountain objects. :persevere:

Now I just need to get some ads that actually WORK, so I can get you the Gothique Library, because I think you would really like that set. (For some reason all the ads I'm getting right now are blank, and have that "play, answer" thing at the top, but no actual ad. It's a bit irritating. Wish they would fix that.)
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I tried to put a fountain in my build for CreativeMetaphor that wouldn't sit at the level I wanted. I think I wanted it in the water at the foundation's base and shooting up through the foundation level (which was deleted in the center). BUT, it always wanted to be a level up (at the top of the foundation). So, I put the foundation in and added the short fence around it. Then I painted the top of the foundation blue to mimic water. Some things just make no sense to us, but I'm sure they made sense to someone (or maybe not).

I'm glad you got it all worked out.

My computer guy said he couldn't get the computer to boot either, so he was going to pull off what he could from my hard drive.
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker Oh no you don't!!! You've been far more generous than you ought to have :mrgreen: I have now snagged the library myself! (So I can add the spellbook to that little room!)
  • Options
    ciane wrote: »
    My computer guy said he couldn't get the computer to boot either, so he was going to pull off what he could from my hard drive.
    Oh, no! Sounds like the CPU got fried. If part of the OS got corrupted, surely he could have fixed it. You CAN replace the CPU without replacing the motherboard... but it's usually not worth it. Especially if you're not a tech geek like I am, and willing to build your own computer. I love getting inside the innards of a computer and fixing things, but not everyone does.

If the hard drive itself can run, you can always put it in an external case, and hook it up to your laptop (or whatever computer you're using now) as an external, and pull off the data yourself. Whatever he does, he's going to have to put it onto another hard drive, to get you that information. I'm assuming he's going to get at least the Documents directory, and that will give you back your save files, at least. But it sounds like your current computer can't handle all the EPs and SPs, and that's a shame for a builder like you!
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker Got more to show tonight! Some came out a tad dark,will have to add a bit more lighting.

The 'round table' counsel chambers
    CounselChamber%201_zpshbpp7kol.jpg
    CounselChamber%203_zps9zekgtta.jpg
    CounselChamber%202_zps8y6q1wni.jpg

library
    Library%203_zpsgumuttjd.jpg
    Library%204_zpsv7b9wfc5.jpg

a small sitting/toilet room off the great hall
    Hall%20Bath_zpsonukujqd.jpg

upstairs bedroom halls
    Hall%201_zpsygdepade.jpg
    Hall%202_zpszrfljthu.jpg

bedroom 2 and bath
    Bed2%203_zpsdrovlted.jpg
    Bed2%202_zpsbcndfevg.jpg
    Bed2%201_zpsinrvot0j.jpg
    Bath2%201_zpsus2pqjcl.jpg
    Bath2%202_zpsqgfzmob2.jpg

bedroom 3 and shared bath
    Bed3%202_zpsj6vzjbca.jpg
    Bed3%201_zpsle0ys4lj.jpg
    Bath3%201_zpsksoymjha.jpg
    Bath3%202_zpsvm3ktrdz.jpg

bedroom 4
    Bed4%202_zpsr7awiw7i.jpg
    Bed4%201_zpsvquwvrrj.jpg
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker Oh no you don't!!! You've been far more generous than you ought to have :mrgreen: I have now snagged the library myself! (So I can add the spellbook to that little room!)
    Hehe! Well, one of the reasons I was going to get it for you is that it doesn't have CYS, so I might as well. But if it showed up on the DD, it would be cheaper for you. With Hidden Springs, I KNOW you couldn't have gotten it cheaper than I could for you, because it doesn't show up on either the Sale page or the DD. And I'm glad you have it, so you can get the full effects of the gym I made for you. :)

I can't even log in to the store site right now though, nor can I log in through the launcher, so not only can I not get ads, I can't upload or download. This is a problem, if I can't upload that lot I just finished. I may have to upload it elsewhere for you, and then post it to the Exchange at a later date.

Hey, since you got the library, have you checked the Enchanted Bundle? You may have a green download button on it. If not, then when it shows up on the DD, you might have that green download button. (Just checked - it shows up on June 9.) Or at least it should be really cheap. And with that set, you might have a green download on More Magic, or at least you might when that shows up on the DD. (That one shows up a couple of times.) Then that - along with the Greenhouse (which I know you have) - you might have a green download on Best of 2012. I think I did, although it's possible I had one or two of the other sets as well.

Gosh, I remember doing those cascades and getting those green downloads when trying to own the store. And even before I wanted to own it all, when I was just going for parts of it. It was always so exciting, waiting up for those deals! And when I finished, I was so let down at not having anything to do... that I logged on to my best friend's account, and did it all for her, too! :p (I kid you not. I got her to own the store without ever buying her a single simpoint. Just ads, and time, and determination.)
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker Got more to show tonight! Some came out a tad dark,will have to add a bit more lighting.

The 'round table' counsel chambers
    Oh, I really love some of the patterns you used! Where did you get the one that looks like it has Celtic knots? It's in the 7th and 8th pictures you posted. I don't think I've ever seen it, or if I have, didn't realize what it was. Did you use a pattern within a wall covering?

Everything you've done looks SO medieval and so... castle-y! Maybe it's the way you CASt things, although I've noticed that you do clever things like MOO that candle in to the podium, which I would have never thought to do. (I put a podium in the library I made, but I didn't think to do that!)

I like the use of drapery you've done in various places. That really helps to give the right feel, I think. :)

Don't you wish we had more choices in tapestries? We have those four (I think they came with DV), but it would be nice to have a few more, too. You can't CASt them, so when I was placing them in my own build, I started to feel like I was getting a bit repetitive. If we could recolor them, it would give more variety. Alas, we can't, just like we can't CASt the paintings.
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker I think that's one of the paneling patterns that came with Pets, maybe? The little icon of it is all one color so the pattern doesn't stand out until you start CASting it. If I recall, it's down toward the bottom of the paneling list.

And yeah, it baffles me some of the things they didn't allow to be CASted. Or things like an item has like 12 possible preset patterns, and another has one, when it would make more sense for that one to have a lot! Like the shields and banners! But then I'm a heraldry geek as well so it really bugs me that I can't do any kind of proper heraldry to speak of. Though I got semi-close with a few of the geometric patterns. Still not happy about it, though.
  • Options
    Looking great @creativemetaphor. The good thing is that modders have made it possible to remove stencils (thanks to Velocity's mod at mts) and add in a different patterns as you say.

The great news is that I got my PC back today, though I'm planning to buy an external hard drive to back up everything before I start playing on it again.

The computer guy was able to run the disk repair from one of his computers and restore mine to an earlier point. But he thinks the hard drive should be backed up totally so I don't lose anything should something else happen. I must say that I agree. So I'm starting my search for a good external hard drive now.

HOPEFULLY the restore didn't mess with the build folder, and the lots I already made will be there. I'll finish up the ones I'm currently working on and upload them all in order, with Mia's first. Yay! VERY happy about that!!!
  • Options
    @Ciane THAT'S WONDERFUL!!! I don't *think* restores affect save files like that, only system files? Will keep fingers crossed!
  • Options
    It's not suppose to, but I have lost files before when restoring, so I won't be sure until I actually look in all the files. (Thanks for crossing your fingers for me!)
  • Options
    It's not suppose to, but I have lost files before when restoring, so I won't be sure until I actually look in all the files. (Thanks for crossing your fingers for me!)
    It can if there's actual disk damage of any sort. If the header bit of a file is lost, the whole file is lost. Well, technically the file is THERE, but the computer doesn't know it's there. There are programs that can restore those files, but since it doesn't happen often, most people don't bother having those programs. It's better just to do backups on a regular basis. I backup certain files every day, like my Sims saves.

I don't know that I'm going to be able to upload anyone's for a while. I still can't stay logged in to the store, and I can't log in to the launcher at all. NO idea what's going on there; I've deleted my IE and Edge browser caches and cookies multiple times, and it doesn't help. (I don't USE either of those browsers, they're just what the launcher uses.) I don't think it's at my end, since I can't stay logged in at the site using Chrome, either. It happens on both of my computers, which tells me it MUST be at their end.

It's a bit frustrating. I've seen other people posting about it as well, so it's not just me. Hopefully they'll get it fixed soon, but if they don't, I'll post the builds somewhere else for you guys, and then post them to the Exchange as soon as I can.
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker Sorry to hear of the frustration but I'm not terribly worried about getting the build late so at least there's one less headache, I hope?

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Mia, ccleaner is a good free registry and general clean up program that usually get me make in when the launcher is throwing fits.

Other things affecting the launcher besides the internet browser clutter is downloads and screenshots and other things actually in your launcher. I move out my screenshots folder (when my computer lets me) and my downloads folder is also in the Electronic Arts folder rather than the sims 3 folder.

My computer is having hiccups. Some programs are locking up on me. I tried to move screenshots to my desktop and already had a screenshots folder there. So I tried to move the screenshots folder from Sims 3 into the one on my desktop and it froze up. I couldn't get the task manager up either! I tried to just replace the EA photos to upload, but while that program opened and showed the lots, clicking on replace to replace the pics did nothing.

I had a sims 3 folder that was missing lots of files and folders inside and then a sims 3(38) folder that looks like it has everything in it.

I THINK my build folder is okay, but I haven't tried to load my game yet.

I did switch to the build folder and upload both the pond and the LL build as they sit in my export folder. I am not sure that they were the last builds, but I am uploading AS IS, so I don't lose them.

Mia's is here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9083711
    (But based on the description, it's not the latest build; so I'll try to get into the sims later and look around.)
    Here's the pool link on my word press:
    https://iamciane.wordpress.com/builds/pool

Addy's LL build (the original one) is here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9083712
    https://iamciane.wordpress.com/builds/addy/for-addy is the link for Addy's pics.

The continuing saga is that another computer guy thinks my mother board is going out and I shouldn't use it any more than necessary. I'll still get the data off the hard drive, but not for maybe another week. I'm having a new computer built. It'll be so much better than my last one and hubby is buying it for me for my birthday (early). It'll have a SSD and a backup hard drive. The downside is that I have to join the Win 10 camp. The upside is that they'll turn off all the stuff they can when they install it so it won't be able to track and target ads for me. And, for a bit extra they'll copy over everything on my old hard drive for me. I should have the new computer within a week, so then I can relook at the lots and get pics up with him (hopefully).

Thanks for crossing your fingers for me, @creativemetaphor. I'm fairly certain I'll be able to access everything later, but I will be missing some EP/SPs. That means the old saves won't load, but I should be able to grab the library files and put them in a new folder. I'm glad I backed up all my last install on thumb/flash drive. I'll find out if that will transfer over okay soon.

I'm really sorry I hadn't already attached the photos to the exports before my computer went down, but at least I had lots of pics already on my word press.
    Post edited by ciane on
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @ciane sorry to hear about all your computer problems. Ain't technology great! Yeah when it works!!

Yay for a new computer, too bad about Windows 10 although I've heard it's not all that bad. I'm still on 7 until I have to replace it.

I took a break from building to finish up my quilt. Yes, I'm still working on it. I'm on the last step, binding the edges and it will be done!! YAY!

I'll get back the build since it's going to rain here for the next 2 days and will get it all finished up. I only have the basement to do and few finishing touches here and there.

Question, do you want any kids activities in the yard. I was thinking a trampoline but I don't know if kids can use them. Do you know?
    I was also thinking about a small bbq area on the patio off the kitchen. I don't know how much landscaping you like in the back and side of a house.

BYW, has anyone heard from @ADWilson? She has been very quiet so far this round. I hope she is okay. Happy thoughts :)
  • Options
    How exciting to be almost done with your quilt! A trampoline would be fun. It's been a long time since I've played with one. I think kids can play on them. A small BBQ area sounds perfect! I think that the landscaping you've already done in front and down the side will be enough.

I haven't heard much from Addy. I do hope everything is okay with her. I'll send out some happy thoughts for her too.
  • Options
    Mia, ccleaner is a good free registry and general clean up program that usually get me make in when the launcher is throwing fits.

Other things affecting the launcher besides the internet browser clutter is downloads and screenshots and other things actually in your launcher. I move out my screenshots folder (when my computer lets me) and my downloads folder is also in the Electronic Arts folder rather than the sims 3 folder.
    I don't think so. I think it's at their database. It happens on multiple computers with multiple browsers. The fact that it happens in my launcher AND in the game AND on the site is another point in that. Yet if I click "I forgot my password" and get sent to EA's direct site, and type in the EXACT SAME PASSWORD, it works fine.

I clear out my screenshots, downloads, and saves folders every day that I play. It's the way I do my backups. Since I don't like overlap, once I've copied the saves/screenshots to my E: drive, I clear my screenshots folder completely, and then delete the extra saves I don't need from my C: drive. I always clear out my Downloads folder as soon as I've installed a lot; it's how I keep track of what I've installed and what I haven't, and I hate having a messy launcher. I also have both Edge and IE set to clear the cache and browsing data when I close those browsers, so those are always clear. (Even though I don't use either of them regularly; I always use Chrome.) But even with Chrome I can't log in to the store site.

I believe that it's at their end, and specifically at the store site. I have no problem logging on to Origin, so I know my password is correct. But the launcher, and the game, are specifically connecting to the store site, and THAT is the only place where I have the problem. Other people are reporting the same problem, and EA has had this problem intermittently for years.

I vaguely remember having this problem a year or two ago and then trying something REALLY weird and it apparently fixed it. It could have been coincidence, but I still wish I could remember what it was so I could try it again.

I think I'm going to do some further file cleanup, though. Like get rid of the stuff in the DCBackup folder (other than the ccmerged file), and things like that. I don't generally bother with that folder. I just can't think of what else to try. I also just noticed that there are .dbc files in my DCCache folder, and there shouldn't be. I think I'll remove those as well. Can't hurt, and I do not want to have any CC in this install, anyway. I might think this is a Windows problem, except that it is happening on multiple computers. I have difficulty believing it would be abruptly occurring on multiple computers if it were at my end.
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    @Kgaff
    Sorry that I've been quieter than a mouse this round, family has kept me busy (figures!) plus ... this build has been 1 step forward & 2 back.

I think I have most of the problems/challenges sorted out and hope to share pictures by Friday.
    Ultimately, I have decided that MOO is a friend (and a forgiving one) but CFE certainly is not!
  • Options
    Mia, sometimes store content installs as .dbc files. Things like venues have installed in my game with a cc icon instead of a store one. I think the game sees a lot and tags it cc instead of store at times. It seems random. I don't know if that was before I started installing in small batches or afterwards as well. It has happened to others too.

Sometimes just clearing the caches doesn't help the launcher. The other thing to try as a last resort is resetting IE back to its default setting and then restarting your system. That seems to finally reset the launcher.

You might want to just copy the dcbackup folder out of the sims 3 folder and then delete all but the ccmerged file. That way you have the files in case you need them. I don't seem to need them to get lots or sims to retain their store content, but I believe it's better to have a backup just in case.

Sorry you are being super challenged on your build, @ADWilson. And yes, the worst thing that happens with MOO is usually missing and/or floating tiles and objects at the edge of the lot. CFE often gives you hidden challenges to try to resolve later with weird routing and of course the obvious wonky floor levels that don't always undo. With CFE, the rule is save often - after every apparent success. AND, turn it off immediately. Don't leave it on to just do one little thing before needing it again. Sometimes things will look a bit wonky until your go to edit town and return. Then things settle to the way they should look (somewhat like a reset lot).
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Sometimes just clearing the caches doesn't help the launcher. The other thing to try as a last resort is resetting IE back to its default setting and then restarting your system. That seems to finally reset the launcher.
    Well, tried that (Googled how to do it), figuring that was a very good idea, but that didn't fix it. Finally in desperation I changed my password again, and suddenly I'm able to log in and stay in.

Have NO idea why. I've been using that other password for years and it has worked fine, and suddenly it didn't. I'm just relieved that at least for now I SEEM to be able to stay logged in. Thank goodness! I was beginning to feel a bit desperate about it. :relieved::sweat_smile:
  • Options
    I'm glad that that is working for you right now. That is one thing that is so frustrating about updates and patches. They often mess up something else that was working. Everyone seems to be affected differently and what didn't work before will suddenly work later after something else was changed (or not).
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @creativemetaphor:

Ok, so... some of the items in the build turned into other things after I removed those dbc files. The massage table turned into couches. Really ugly couches. I think I've encountered that with the massage table before. There was another upload I tried to do with the massage table, and it showed up as being CC. I've reinstalled the massage table as a separate item, and I'm going to re-place all of them, and hopefully it will show up normally this time. Strangely, a couple of wall hangings had turned into more modern works of art, so I've changed those out. I don't even remember what was there before. A few deco flowers I had on the bistro level also got swapped for really odd things. I'm guessing I must have had a couple of CC items in my game that I didn't remember putting in. Either that, or Ciane is right (and she probably is) that the store installed a few items into dbc files so they're no longer showing up in my game.

I'm going to go ahead and post the pictures I'm taking later today. I would like you to look at them, and if there is ANYTHING you don't have, let me know. I can either replace it, or gift you that item. (Now that I can actually get points again, that's once again possible.) I know you have MOST of the items, at least the important ones. The windows are from Pets, and the doors are from Hidden Springs. (I hadn't realized that before, so it's one more reason I'm glad I gifted you that world.)

I am also going to take a picture of the things I've used in the tomb in a separate image (I don't want you to see the tomb layout), so you can tell me if you're missing any of them. I won't bother with the WA items since obviously you have those. I just need to know about store items, since it's not always easy to tell what set an item is from.

Also, if you want the fountain effect in the underground pool, then after you place the lot go into build mode in it, go down to the lowest pool level, delete the fountain object, then do an undo. After that it will appear correctly on the proper floor. That's the only fix I can give you for it. It appears to be something you have to do after placing the lot (I don't THINK you have to do it each time you load the game - I certainly HOPE not), so nothing I do now can keep it fixed for the player. I will put a reminder about that in my image post, just so that when you do the download you will remember, and hopefully I can let other people who download it be aware of it. (I always include a link to the image post in the upload description.)

Anyway, doing my final images now, and I will do the upload later today. It's a little early, but I have to admit to a bit of paranoia that I will lose my chance by being unable to log in again later. :)
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    @Kgaff Good Morning :smiley:

Here are a couple of pictures showing off a bit of the exterior.
    Screenshot-3_zps4loxmg3p.jpg
    Screenshot_zpsoeeplq7l.jpg
    Do you like the color scheme?

Children's play area is still under construction.
    2nd floor is getting a re-vamp because I decided a Jack-and-Jill bathroom would be better than one that gets shared among the siblings.

More updates will be shared later!