Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will my macbbok air 13" one day not be able to run the sims?

The only reasons i ask is because i have already noticided loading screens are a lot longer. I just got the Sims 4 for christmas and im worried i wont be able to play until the end of year. I do plan to have all EP and GP. I know the game is eventually not going to work so i plan to buy a PC either late thiss year or early next year. I have created a thread here:
http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/909409/need-a-gaming-laptop-asap#latest
Here are my specs:
u3bKtyz.png
Origin id: ActuallySammy
If you want to respond to me please make sure to @ me.

Comments

• WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    As fas as i know about specs and all that, it seems like your laptop wont get through much longer. I believe your specs are under minimum for sims 4 so you should think about getting a new laptop or desktop as soon as you can (: good luck
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Cant say how long your Mac will last but I doubt it will survive the game as it adds more and more. @BluebellFlora or @Tremayne4260 can advise you. For future reference, this is PC tech. If you need Mac Help post here http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-on-mac-discussions
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Your MacBook Air meets all minimum system requirements but they really are not designed for gaming at all which is why you are already experiencing lag and slow gameplay. They are perfect for what they are designed for - stable and speedy portability for emailing, web surfing, light photo and video editing, office apps etc. but are simply not powerful enough for gaming. It may help if you put all your graphics settings to the lowest possible but as you add more packs to the base game, the slower it will become.
    apple-signature.png
  • the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    I have the MacBook Air 13", and I'm able to play the game on medium settings. I haven't experienced any problems running it (ok the fan get get a tad bit noisy) but apart from that, I'd say that the MacBook Air 13" is fine :smile: I hope that helps!
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Pay attention to the noisy fan. It is telling you that your Mac is straining to run whatever you are playing. Please make sure you are playing with it elevated and or a cooling pad to keep the fans from running at high speeds.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • simalicious357simalicious357 Posts: 12 New Member
    I've been wondering the same thing. I have a MacBook Pro and I played the Sims 3 and 4 on it. Currently I only have the Sims 4 on it and one expansion pack. I want to get some stuff packs though but I'm not sure if my computer can handle more. This is the info.

MacBook Pro 13 inch Early 2011
    Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
    Software Lion OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)
  • ActuallySammyActuallySammy Posts: 299 Member
    @simalims357 You can get a few. My specs are lower and i own all EP and 3GP and 1SP.
    Origin id: ActuallySammy
    If you want to respond to me please make sure to @ me.
  • simalicious357simalicious357 Posts: 12 New Member
    Thanks!!
  • klairabellaklairabella Posts: 13 New Member
    I have the same Macbook Air as you but I'm running on El Capitan. I have no issues what so ever, no loud fan noises or anything :smile:
  • AllieSootieAllieSootie Posts: 450 Member
    I know this old: I haven't personally noticed any problems, have all the expansion packs, all the game packs except for Vampires and about 4 stuff packs. Am I just lucky so far?
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    I know this old: I haven't personally noticed any problems, have all the expansion packs, all the game packs except for Vampires and about 4 stuff packs. Am I just lucky so far?

Depends what Mac you have, what your graphics settings are and your gameplay style, amongst other things.

apple-signature.png
  • burzmxburzmx Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi! Ive recently installed origin on my Mac 13 i5 intel 4000 and the game have been running great until I changed the settings and couldn't open the game anymore..so I've uninstalled my game and origin and installed it again and that worked and I could play again without problems until the late origin update that broke my game again and now I can't fix it ..a message pops up about my video card and unable to start! Tried everything...disabling origin in game, windowed mode, deleting option.ini etc...and nothing works...please..can someone help me???
    nformación del hardware:

Nombre del modelo: MacBook Pro
    Identificador del modelo: MacBookPro9,2
    Nombre del procesador: Intel Core i5
    Velocidad del procesador: 2.5 GHz
    Cantidad de procesadores: 1
    Cantidad total de núcleos: 2
    Caché de nivel 2 (por núcleo): 256 KB
    Caché de nivel 3: 3 MB
    Memoria: 4 GB
    Versión de la ROM de arranque: MBP91.00D3.B15
    Versión SMC (sistema): 2.2f44
    Número de serie (sistema): C02JG1H1DTY3
    UUID de hardware: A2BAF572-CD9E-532A-9E86-F79454CB4E0F
    Sensor de movimiento repentino:
    Estado: Activado
    Please edit your post to remove your UUID as that is very sensitive information about your Mac. We also need to know what kind of video card you have.
  • burzmxburzmx Posts: 4 New Member
    How do i edit it?
    Click on your original post. There should be an icon in the upper right hand corner that appears. Move your mouse pointer to hover over it and the option "Edit" should appear. Click on that and the original post should open back up and allow you to edit.
  • LottiesimsLottiesims Posts: 57 Member
    This is old now but if anyone else is looking i play TS4 on my MacBook Air, early 2015 model and everything runs fine! the loading screens don't seem long to me at all and so far i haven't had any glitches or crashes. Also the only thing is my laptop gets pretty hot and the fans get noisy but that doesn't affect anything, i just make sure my laptop is lifted up so it can cool down :)
  • BethanyShoneBethanyShone Posts: 310 Member
    I have a MacBook Air at home (not sure which exact model) that I've had for about 18 months and I did a bit of research in the beginning because I noticed the fans were very loud and it got hot very quickly. I basically found out that they're not the designed for gaming however it does play. I have all of the EP's and GP's (except from 2) and run my game with all the settings on low and it works fine, it's still much quicker than my old windows laptop ever was and has never crashed. I do have a cooling pad which helps a LOT and I would definitely recommend one if you're going to be playing on the Mac and I try not to play for long periods of time if I feel it's getting too hot.
  • LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    @BethanyShone Yeah my 13-inch Macbook Pro (early 2015) works well for the Sims it seems but sometimes the laptop gets really hot and the fan gets loud. It drains the power quickly too. I try to elevate my laptop on a plate that curves up a bit so there's a bit of circulation underneath the laptop. If my laptop gets really hot and noisy I'll save my game and close the laptop for a bit. It gives me a video game break, and it allows my laptop to cool down a bit. :)

I keep all my graphics on low or off (except for long-distance view and reflections) and I only have the base + parenthood but I will probably get another pack or two in the future. The game runs pretty smoothly for me. :)
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited July 2017
    Click on your original post. There should be an icon in the upper right hand corner that appears. Move your mouse pointer to hover over it and the option "Edit" should appear. Click on that and the original post should open back up and allow you to edit.

I don't know that new accounts here can edit posts. You may have to ask a Guru to edit the post
  • kardizzlekardizzle Posts: 54 Member
    @BethanyShone what cooling pad do you use? I've been looking into getting one I play on a 2014 MacBook Air 13inch model I have everything released so far except the fitness stuff pack.
  • BethanyShoneBethanyShone Posts: 310 Member
    kardizzle wrote: »
    @BethanyShone what cooling pad do you use? I've been looking into getting one I play on a 2014 MacBook Air 13inch model I have everything released so far except the fitness stuff pack.

I'm not too sure, I got it from Curry's PC World a few years ago now. It was only £15.00 so it's nothing fancy but it does the job. I just asked a sales assistant :blush:
  • CheesySimsLoverCheesySimsLover Posts: 258 Member
    I know this thread is old, but it's been very helpful to me. I've always had PCs, but shifted to a MacBook Air in late 2015. I love my Mac for writing, and I want to use Sims to help me "visualize" my characters (I spent most of my teens playing the Sims). I know my computer isn't designed for gaming; I'm considering buying a desktop PC in the future if I decide to game hardcore again. For now, my MacBook Air loads the game with no lag. I only have the base game, though, and the free holiday pack from EA. I'd like a couple EPs or expansions, but I'm content with the game now since it's been forever since I've played the Sims actively, and TS4 is a whole new experience. My laptop does get hot, so I bought a cooling pad yesterday and plan to try it out this evening.
    Also remember to elevate it when you play as that helps to keep you Mac cool as well as the cooling pad. Happy simming. :)
  • serenadogserenadog Posts: 3 New Member
    I recently tried to download my old Sims 3 disks on my new (2017 MacBook Pro) computer and I re-downloaded and un-installed and tried two different disks and nothing worked. I get past the launch screen but it either goes black and then returns to the launch screen or gets stuck on the blue screen with the green icon. Is there no way to make it work, because I'm really disappointed that it doesn't work and have no other way to use the disks, and I'll probably end up having to get rid of them :/ if anyone knows a way to fix this please let me know!
    First of all, this is The Sims 4 section and there is an active Sims 3 section. :) However, it is best that you register your disk CD keys with Origin and follow the instructions that have been written out on the Sims 3 forum to download Sims 3 to your computer. Happy Simming.