Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Have You Stopped Playing Sims 4?

Comments

• LaellaLaella Posts: 519 Member
    This will likely be a little rambling but bear with me. I came back to the sims 4 this week to try to play it again, and while I did buy the expansions on their half price sale I admit I'd still never buy a pack for sims 4 at full price. In my opinion not worth it. Before this week, I hadn't played the sims 4 since 2 weeks after it was first released, I cannot for the likes of me remember how long it's been sitting uninstalled. It is likely if Origin hadn't had a 50% off for expansions I wouldn't have even bothered trying to play such an overpriced game again (the sims 4).

As I can only speak for my personal experiences and reactions in comparing why I liked other installments better, and why because of those changes / missing things I have trouble enjoying the sims 4. So should get a few things clear:

- I find it absolutely fine comparing games of the same franchise, especially when each had so many differences.
    - the sims 3 and I get along very well, only time it lags and has a major performance hit for me is on the Island Paradise world.
    - sims 3 story progression worked, most of the time, though I know it flunked out on a lot of players, like the performance issues did.
    - I had no issue with the sims 2 and it's loading screens between certain areas. And I also loved that sims 3 had none, but no preference over either style except when trying to visit a neighbour across the hall.

My more detailed (ok just rambling) negatives against the sims 4 and a few positives, which explain why I'm likely not playing it for much longer. Again.

#1 : this is about both forced rotation play, and story progression - I despise rotational playing, I do not like it. Not one bit. So I don't play that way. Sadly this means I have run into a brick wall in the sims 4 unless there's a no-cheating, no-mod way (very serious, I do not add mods or cc to my sims games) for families I don't control to have kids and the kids grow up for my family's kids to meet that I couldn't find but short of creating a new sim for my current generation main sim, I'm stuck.. maybe there's a tourist somewhere I can bag? The sims 3 had a constantly evolving town and sims families for me, which was my preferred style of play, I did not need to constantly go and make sure townie family number 6 and 10 had at least one kid, didn't need to intervene anywhere. I could focus solely on the one household, how I prefer. it's so I don't need to go through hoops to find another sim to start the next generation of my family with, but feels weird when those other sims don't age either or.. well, anything. I'm not interested in those families (the stories either), I'm only interested in the brand new sims they create and if I want said sim to join my family if they are a great match for whatever sim my family has that is lonely and looking for friends/lovers etc. I don't want to play some other household, or change sims clothes or looks or families, I only want to worry about MINE and mine alone.

#2 : without micromanaging my sims they seemed to love drinking water . all autonomous conversations were happy go lucky, pleasant etc. While I still remember a sims 2 sim having an entire nightclub hate him because his jokes were unfunny and he smelled, and sims 3 sim that drove all the way across a world to get into a fight... twice ... with some random sim he met 2 nights before and chose to dislike without any input from me. where-as sims 4 they forget so quickly all that stuff, all the failed interactions. My sims 4 sim threw water in her boyfriend's face and yelled at him etc... one in game hour later they were happy, loving and snuggled on the couch watching a movie with no hit to the relationship bar.

#3 : each day felt so boring, the festivals were at first a nice distraction from the career day to day but were very repetitive. changing the world i played on up from the desert place, to the apartments city was .. ok, best part was having my sim household get into a noise war with their neighbours, oh they really disliked each other. I then decided to try and fix it and all it took was inviting the guy over and chatting for like 2-3 in game hours and they were fine. like, why was it so fast? after that it was back to same old but without the nightly excitement. visiting other lots did nothing for that either. there was no surprise, no suspense, promotions were far too easy, all my sims were exactly the same when making them have high needs bars, not how I think sims should be. just me though.

#4 : along with #3, the "vacation" at granite falls, this attempt at a change up to the day-to-day failed miserably for me, it's at this point I'm done with sims 4. I am sure many people loved it, or just liked it , but I was spoiled with the sims 3 expansion, and sims 2 one, obviously and I honestly don't think a world travel/adventures expansion can save it, all the 3 expansions I purchased were so tiny in content in comparison in my opinion, haven't enjoyed any. Except that noisy neighbour fight. Never visited the guy though, loading screen to do so? no thanks it's across the hall. Yes this is no vacation expansion, but if you add it to a playable game, don't half-do it.. seriously. All I could do was hike, or wander around picking herbs.

#5 : I should never, ever, find myself saying "oh it'll probably get better with the next expansion" or "they might bring that out eventually" . No. If the game already supplied is not entertaining and grabbing my attention I will not hope or have faith the missing issues will get added or fixed. Noone should. Games should leave you wanting more each time due to how well they do the content already released, not fulfilling the most basic stuff and make you hope they'll fix what's broken or majorly missing (yup, the sims franchise is horrible at this, I know. But this is the worst it's gotten in my opinion). Sims 2 and Sims 3 were awesome for me in that regard, each one added stuff I didn't know I wanted. rather then holding out waiting for it to get better. Big difference in comparison to sims 4 that still 3 expansions in feels lacklustre in comparison to both sims 2 and sims 3 and their first three expansions. Let's see, first sims 2 expansions by release date were Universities, Nightlife and Open for Business. my favourite 3 for that installment of the series. Sims 3 expansions were World Adventures, Ambitions and Late Night . which contains 2 of my favourites for that installment. Sims 4 with Get to Work, Get Together and City living. out of those so far only Get To Work felt like an expansion size to me, however I am biased since as I've said before, the business and interactive jobs one's each installment are my favs and they rolled ambitions and open for business into one expansion it feels). Point is really, sims 4 I find myself hoping they add this, that or whatever, change this, that or whatever.. but for the previous two installments I never did. I wanted pets and universities for sims 3 I know, but I loved the game before they were even announced as well, I didn't need them to make it great, they added to it what it didn't need, but made a good game better just because it was more stuff, not because of specific stuff.

#6 : Sims 4 has some things going for it for me, no challenge, very few long term goals, no struggle to achieve said goals. it is a casual game, play only one sim and do everything fine, easily, no challenge and no depth. why a positive? everyone needs a laid back casual, easy game to play now and then. When they don't want any challenges at all. But I don't always like that in the sims games, so back to TS2 and/or 3 it is for me, sadly, after I try and get some more hours in. I and clubs both hate and like each other. kind of fun hanging with a group of uncontrollable sims on a lot actually, but downside was they only ever called my sims to hang out when they were at work or heading to work. So I couldn't experience much of that, but I doubt it'd be very different either time.

Yup I base my judgment off how long the game holds me, and what I managed to see in it based on if it entertained me enough to see stuff, not off how many hours I log playing. I have no interest in maxing every job and skill, because the game just can't hold my attention long enough to do so. I maxxed secret agent, politics, and author jobs, attempted to go on vacation, attempted to do the retail thing and more, over 5 sim generations (by this point i ran out of new sims to meet and add to the family hence my brick wall comment earlier).

Oh almost forgot, sims 3 was a perfect spot for me because I love creatively building, sculpting and decorating my sim's houses and land. I don't even want to comment any more on the abysmal sims 4 in this regard...
    I never understood the "pudding face" description of sims 3 sims, since they were fine personally, in looks and differences in such if I took the time to try. Mine that I played never looked all the same. where-as my sims 4 sims keep changing what they look like based on some rather exaggerated expressions (this isn't a big issue for me, but a good laugh instead).

Also, sims 3 I spent more money on gifting stuff from the store to other players then I ever did on myself . Couldn't help myself, there were a lot of wonderful people around the forums back then. I never touched the sims 2 store, but sims 3 total spends would definitely have bought me 3 more full copies of the game, stuff and expansions... I actually had a job through that time period so it wasn't a financial issue.

If I haven't mentioned something there, that others may have, it likely isn't a problem for me. I am trying to get more time out of playing sims 4 but I am quickly losing interest for a second time, already.

Sorry for the long rambling, I'll go back to my hidey corner I've been in the past few years. xD

Disclaimer: I have absolutely nothing against those who enjoy the game, and am glad that they do. This is my personal opinion, I speak for noone but myself. I don't even understand why I must point this out these days either, obviously if i type it it's just my opinion, man. I have as much right to dislike a game as anyone does to like one.
  • mhuinker1mhuinker1 Posts: 55 Member
    I'm finding mixed answers on a problem I am suddenly having with Sims 4 now! I KNOW for a fact that I used to have the camera tilt option when playing Sims 4 on my PC by using the wheel on my mouse. However, now when I try ot play, that is GONE! It's a nightmare to me because I used the camera tilt ALL THE TIME, especially in build mode!

Does anyone know of a fixt for this problem? I have not changed my mouse and my game is updated/patched to the current patch (which may be the problem, I dunno). I do not run ANY CC or mods!

Please tell me there is a fix for this! I hate playing the game now without the camera tilt!
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    mhuinker1 wrote: »
    I'm finding mixed answers on a problem I am suddenly having with Sims 4 now! I KNOW for a fact that I used to have the camera tilt option when playing Sims 4 on my PC by using the wheel on my mouse. However, now when I try ot play, that is GONE! It's a nightmare to me because I used the camera tilt ALL THE TIME, especially in build mode!

Does anyone know of a fixt for this problem? I have not changed my mouse and my game is updated/patched to the current patch (which may be the problem, I dunno). I do not run ANY CC or mods!

Please tell me there is a fix for this! I hate playing the game now without the camera tilt!
    Did you change the camera setting to Sims 3 accidently?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member

Hold down the control button on your keyboard and left-click your mouse. If that doesn't work. Try right-clicking. Been a long time since I used a mouse so a bit rusty on which button it is. But holding the control button does work.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Hold Ctrl + Shift + Tab at the same time and your game should switch back to Sims 3 camera mode. It's otherwise located in the game settings under game camera.
    The tilting with the mouse is Sims 4 mode though.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

To my knowledge the Sims 4 camera is at a fixed angle that changes as you zoom in and out. There is no camera tilt option with it unless they have changed it since launch.

To my knowledge the Sims 4 camera is at a fixed angle that changes as you zoom in and out. There is no camera tilt option with it unless they have changed it since launch.
    I'd have to try it to be absolutely sure - handling the camera always is sort of an automatism - but I'm quite positive I can tilt the camera in 4 by using the mouse wheel... And the reason I gave up on the Sims 3 camera mode in the game was because I couldn't tilt.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited April 2017
    Yup. Just tested it. You can tilt the camera in S3 mode by holding down the ctrl key on your keyboard and using the right-click button on your mouse. Works like a charm. Like it's worked for the previous iterations. On a Mac, the key is spelled out as Control. On the PC, its Ctrl. Good luck.
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited April 2017
    MingYangYo wrote: »
    It culled some sims. One of my favorite sims too !!! So I decided enough is enough I'm tired of this game stressing me out :disappointed: I get anxiety over little things like that. Haven't played since before Thanksgiving and I got rid of the CC so I know it's a done deal. Until they can release quality games like they did in the past...Cough cough... I won't put up with it. :neutral:

The culling was one of the things that never set well with me either.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
    edited April 2017
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Yup. Just tested it. You can tilt the camera in S3 mode by holding down the ctrl key on your keyboard and using the right-click button on your mouse. Works like a charm. Like it's worked for the previous iterations. On a Mac, the key is spelled out as Control. On the PC, its Ctrl. Good luck.
    You mean you can tilt the camera like that in Sims 2 :o:o:o Thanks! (always struggling with the camera in that game ;)) I'm also going to try it in 3 btw because tilting with the mouse feels a bit more fluent to me than tilting by clicking on the arrows.
    5JZ57S6.png

I'd have to try it to be absolutely sure - handling the camera always is sort of an automatism - but I'm quite positive I can tilt the camera in 4 by using the mouse wheel... And the reason I gave up on the Sims 3 camera mode in the game was because I couldn't tilt.

Holding down the scroll wheel and moving the mouse will tilt and turn the camera in Sims 3 mode, that button pans the camera around in Sims 4 mode.
    edited April 2017
    *drops whatever she was doing to try*`

edit: @kremesch73 @drake_mccarty Weeeee, it indeed works, both your suggestions! Love this, thanks.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    The problem is other games exist lol. I am busy playing those other games atm.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

I don't think it's necessarily a problem of the other games being complete. I think the main issue is that TS4 doesn't make a strong enough case for one to stick to it over the other ones though.

Even with three full iterations of The Sims, if TS4 had completely changed up the formula or gameplay in a way that was actually beneficial and fun for the series, I'd likely stick to it. Instead, the systems which it adds (e.g skilling, aspirations, emotions, etc.) don't feel engaging nor innovative enough for one to stick with the game long term. I'd say this is simply more so The Sims 4's fault than TS3's or TS2's.
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

I don't think it's necessarily a problem of the other games being complete. I think the main issue is that TS4 doesn't make a strong enough case for one to stick to it over the other ones though.

Even with three full iterations of The Sims, if TS4 had completely changed up the formula or gameplay in a way that was actually beneficial and fun for the series, I'd likely stick to it. Instead, the systems which it adds (e.g skilling, aspirations, emotions, etc.) don't feel engaging nor innovative enough for one to stick with the game long term. I'd say this is simply more so The Sims 4's fault than TS3's or TS2's.

I have always moved on, I went from 1 to 2 to 3, as soon as that iteration was released, never went back. Sims 4 is the first time I have gone back to playing a previous version instead. It has nothing for me, nothing new, nothing innovative and certainly not the things I was used to in Sims 3. There aren't even terrain tools and you cannot edit the town. Add in no open world and no create-a-style and I can't even get myself into the mood to play it.

Sims 4 is the first time I have only the base game, no SP's or EP's or the Game Packs. I am so disappointed.

@JoAnne65 you're welcome. I've always been a keyboard user for the games. Don't think I could ever play without that option.

The Sims 4 is a game that was created by people who had no idea what a 'Sims' game was supposed to do, nor did they apparently realize that what they were developing followed three other highly successful 'Sims' games. That's the only conclusion I can reach, because there is no excuse for such a poor 'Sims' title. Theres way too many things they cut out of the game, and barely anything was added let alone improved upon to make up for the tremendous losses.

The Sims 4 is just a superficial game that has gone absolutely nowhere in the 2.5 years it's been on the market. Taking a step back, it's absolutely appalling how little the game has expanded. No one should be proud of the progress they are not making on this game. However, they consider even the smallest of insignificant additions a major breakthrough. They forget that we have seen actual progression from the base game through expansions(where the game grows and gets new tools/features/content/etc), some of us have seen it three times now, The Sims 4 has yet to expand very much, and given how poorly integrated their expansion packs are it's unlikely to ever see The Sims 4 move anywhere past the mediocre spot it's sat since 2014.
  • anonmysteryanonmystery Posts: 135 Member
    edited April 2017
    @drake_mccarty

I can't help thinking some of this might be resolved if they shifted their intellectual capital away from Stuff Packs. We already have 11 stuff packs for the sims 4, the sims 2 had 10 for it's entire run.

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited April 2017

The Sims 4 is a game that was created by people who had no idea what a 'Sims' game was supposed to do, nor did they apparently realize that what they were developing followed three other highly successful 'Sims' games. That's the only conclusion I can reach, because there is no excuse for such a poor 'Sims' title. Theres way too many things they cut out of the game, and barely anything was added let alone improved upon to make up for the tremendous losses.

The Sims 4 is just a superficial game that has gone absolutely nowhere in the 2.5 years it's been on the market. Taking a step back, it's absolutely appalling how little the game has expanded. No one should be proud of the progress they are not making on this game. However, they consider even the smallest of insignificant additions a major breakthrough. They forget that we have seen actual progression from the base game through expansions(where the game grows and gets new tools/features/content/etc), some of us have seen it three times now, The Sims 4 has yet to expand very much, and given how poorly integrated their expansion packs are it's unlikely to ever see The Sims 4 move anywhere past the mediocre spot it's sat since 2014.
    You just forget that the developers only can create what they are told by EA to create and that EA only makes games to earn money. When EA discovered that SPs were much more profitable to make because people just bought them even though that hadn't any new gameplay then EA realized that even though new gameplay was the much more expensive to add than just stuff. So EA did the only logical thing to do: EA told the developers to cut down on gameplay and to concentrate on stuff instead. This almost certainly also meant that EA reduced the budget for both the basegame and for each EP and that EA told the developers to replace half of the EPs by smaller GPs - and to release about 5 SPs each year.

So if you have to blame somebody then you should just blame all those simmers who bought all the stuff and SPs to tell EA that EA should concentrate on stuff instead of gameplay. EA knows exactly what they are doing even though I sure don't like it more than you do.

People have used their wallets to vote for more stuff instead of more gameplay and there just isn't a thing that we can do about it.
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Erpe wrote: »

You just forget that the developers only can create what they are told by EA to create and that EA only makes games to earn money. When EA discovered that SPs were much more profitable to make because people just bought them even though that hadn't any new gameplay then EA realized that even though new gameplay was the much more expensive to add than just stuff. So EA did the only logical thing to do: EA told the developers to cut down on gameplay and to concentrate on stuff instead. This almost certainly also meant that EA reduced the budget for both the basegame and for each EP and that EA told the developers to replace half of the EPs by smaller GPs - and to release about 5 SPs each year.

So if you have to blame somebody then you should just blame all those simmers who bought all the stuff and SPs to tell EA that EA should concentrate on stuff instead of gameplay. EA knows exactly what they are doing even though I sure don't like it more than you do.

People have used their wallets to vote for more stuff instead of more gameplay and there just isn't a thing that we can do about it.

I think people buy stuff-and-fluff because there's no substance. Too bad that sends a message - the wrong message.

• HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    I think this idea that the present state of the game is due to simmers buying SPs is way too simplistic. I bought pretty much all the extra content for TS2 and TS3 because I liked the games and the EPs were chock full of content. Give me a good game, and I will buy the content you produce, EA!

Now if EA saw all my purchases and interpreted it to mean they could get away with just producing fluff and no game play and they would still have a successful game, then that is on them and not my fault. If TS4 is not as successful as past Sims games they have no one to blame but themselves. I finally gave up on it and refuse to buy any more content for it, and I know I'm not the only one. So I went from buying nearly everything for the previous three Sims games to no longer playing this version so I'm obviously not purchasing any content for it.

The sad thing is, they apparently have enough people buying enough of the paltry content to keep making the blasted thing. For me the game is nothing short of an insult to my intelligence but for others it's apparently the best thing since sliced bread. What can you say? There's no accounting for taste.

Now the people who are not happy with the game but keep buying because they think it's going to improve, that's a whole other issue that they will have to resolve on their own time. It took me two years to wake up and smell the coffee while others pretty much knew after the first time they tried to play it; the base is flawed and no amount of any content or favorite game play is going to fix that.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I never stop to play TS4. In fact, when I didn't go in forums and youtube, I liked TS4. It's just when I'm coming in forums and when I saw all this angry people that I saying myself TS4 is damson. But TS4 is not damson, if we take the time to play and appreciate the game, this game is really cool, even if TS4 missing some options. When we don't like TS4, it's because we don't stop to compare TS4 with TS3. I'm not saying it don't have to compare, but TS4 has good options too. I love TS4 because he looks more like TS2, but TS4 needs more work for animations, don't rush just take time to deepen the game like toddlers.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited April 2017
    But maybe it's a good thing that TS4 as not sold like TS3, like that EA can see their mistake, and don't make this for TS5.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited April 2017
    I go back and forth but almost always I stop because I just am not able to create the way I want to for my stories (building in particular)