Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 launches with sound, but no picture

So I have downloaded and installed all my Sims 3 base game and expansions to my external drive for my macbook pro 2014 with retina display. The first time I launched the game it was working perfectly. While creating my character my game froze and crashed. When i tried relaunching the game, the launcher shows up I click play, the big sims diamond shows up as usual, but no black screen opens to launch the game. However I can hear the music of the game playing. The app itself is open, but I can't see anything! Helppp!

Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB

There is nothing wrong with my external drive as it has always been dedicated for games and has a capacity of 2TB with more than half remaining.

Comments

• tmetheitmethei Posts: 4 New Member
    The game may have set the unsupported resolution. I had such a case. To solve the problem, you may try to look for the Electronic Arts/Sims 3 folder in the Documents folder in Finder, then find the Options.ini file and open it in TextEdit. There, look for the "resolution" line. It then has the three numbers after the word "resolution", corresponding to the automatically set resolution. I personally recommend to change it to 1440 900 0, as it's good for higher performance. Try this tip!)
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Welcome to the Mac Forums. Did you read the first page of this thread to find links to the most common problems with Sims 3 on a Mac?

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/748338/a-mac-users-best-friend-please-read-before-posting-any-new-problem-threads#latest

If not, there are really helpful tips and tricks to keep your game running smoothly.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 513 Member
    Hi there!

I had a similar problem before and I fixed it by deleted the 'Options.ini' file.

The file will regenerate when you start your game and it will set your game settings (such as game resolution etc.) to default.

Hopefully it works! Good luck!
  • TawhidishTawhidish Posts: 2 New Member
    Thank you all. I had the same problem and this thread helped me. Thanks :smile:
  • rindigorindigo Posts: 1 New Member
    > @tmethei said:
    > The game may have set the unsupported resolution. I had such a case. To solve the problem, you may try to look for the Electronic Arts/Sims 3 folder in the Documents folder in Finder, then find the Options.ini file and open it in TextEdit. There, look for the "resolution" line. It then has the three numbers after the word "resolution", corresponding to the automatically set resolution. I personally recommend to change it to 1440 900 0, as it's good for higher performance. Try this tip!)

Thank you thank you thank you! This is exactly the problem with my game!
  • pinavinadapinavinada Posts: 1 New Member
    Thank you very much! Same problem and apparently it's the resolution. However, it's not working when I edit the resolution on option.ini and works when I deleted the file amd restart the game. Thanks a lot!
  • JayFJayF Posts: 1 New Member
    This even worked for me running High Sierra in 2020 😁Thank so much Munchy
  • xviviansaidzxxviviansaidzx Posts: 555 Member
    JayF wrote: »

Where did you find the Options.ini file?
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    JayF wrote: »

Where did you find the Options.ini file?
    The file is on the top level of the TS3 user game folder in Documents. The game must have been successfully launched at least once in order to have one.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net