Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    @aricarai
    That view is WONDERFUL :smiley:
    Ooh, what a pretty blue! Interesting how it looks like a completely different color on the two sides.

To be honest I am having a hard time deciding on the roofing because some shots show the front (darker shade of blue) while others show the back (lighter shade).

Would it be too much trouble to see a front & back view for each roof choice?
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Love the greens and blues Addy. It turned out so awesome. Really great job. Those rounded turret sections look great.

I like the white roof best. I wonder which Addy will choose.
    edited April 2017
    @aricarai

Build update:
    • Updated landscaping!
    • Added goodies! Remember to look in bookcases and chests.
    • Thoroughly tested everything!

All that is left to do is figuring out a name.
    Any/all suggestions are welcome. :smiley:

More pictures (including some action shots):
    Yes, this does look better!
    Screenshot_zpsjswjlxzb.jpg

This little lady sure likes all the cat-friendly items.
    Screenshot-7_zps9ns4wpbw.jpg
    Screenshot-12_zpsueziev6e.jpg

Addy Sim painted something that happened to go quite nicely with the color palette.
    Screenshot-11_zpsi7vbz4mi.jpg

Hopefully our fairy friend is flattered by talk of wings.
    Screenshot-6_zpslxe9ili9.jpg

Ah! So peaceful.
    Screenshot-8_zpsd0qrl720.jpg

** squish squish **
    Screenshot-2_zpslrrnhcgh.jpg

Addy Sim is dedicated to making sure that all fruit receives attention!
    Screenshot-3_zpssq6hduwg.jpg

Her efforts have been labeled "Bottled Sunshine" and she's sure you'll like this particular blend.
    Screenshot-10_zpsrx6nubst.jpg

The alchemy section wasn't forgotten.
    Screenshot-9_zpsrvbwezc0.jpg

Thanks for your valuable insight, @creativemetaphor
    I planned to add a painting, but definitely took your decor ideas into consideration & finished the space with a usable chest.

What might look like a birdbath in the landscaping is actually a moondial.
    Post edited by ADWilson on
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @ADWilson Oh that painting is marvelous!!!

And... is your Sim meditating?? How did you get that?
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member

Martial arts, level.. 3, I think? Either that or level 5. When you meditate long enough, you can teleport. Very useful in tombs, if you just HAVE to get past some silly traps. :lol:
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    @ADWilson - wowza I didn't realise the difference the lighting makes.
    First: Golden Thatch Roof
    Screenshot_501.jpg
    Screenshot_502.jpg

Second: Black Metal Roof
    Screenshot_503.jpg
    Screenshot_504.jpg

Third: Distressed Shingle Roof
    Screenshot_505.jpg
    Screenshot_506.jpg

Fourth: Green Metal Roof
    Screenshot_507.jpg
    Screenshot_508.jpg

Fifth: Ivory Steel Roof
    Screenshot_509.jpg
    Screenshot_510.jpg

Sixth: Pale Thatch Roof
    Screenshot_511.jpg
    Screenshot_512.jpg

Seventh: Steel Scalloped Roof
    Screenshot_513.jpg
    Screenshot_514.jpg

Eighth: Silver Slate Roof
    Screenshot_515.jpg
    Screenshot_516.jpg

I think I've got all the ones that are on the previous page...I stupidly didn't take note of the names before. *facepalm*

Also yay or nay on the orange doors?

Thanks! I'm glad she painted it because it's one of my favorite medium sized ones.
    Yes, she is. Once your sim reaches 5th level in the martial arts skills he/she can meditate. Eventually your sim will get a green glow around them and can zeneport elsewhere.

Like so ...
    Zeneporting video on YouTube
    ADWilson wrote: »
    @aricarai

Build update:
    • Updated landscaping!
    • Added goodies! Remember to look in bookcases and chests.
    • Thoroughly tested everything!

All that is left to do is figuring out a name.
    Any/all suggestions are welcome. :smiley:

More pictures (including some action shots):
    Yes, this does look better!
    Screenshot_zpsjswjlxzb.jpg

This little lady sure likes all the cat-friendly items.
    Screenshot-7_zps9ns4wpbw.jpg
    Screenshot-12_zpsueziev6e.jpg

Addy Sim painted something that happened to go quite nicely with the color palette.
    Screenshot-11_zpsi7vbz4mi.jpg

Hopefully our fairy friend is flattered by talk of wings.
    Screenshot-6_zpslxe9ili9.jpg

Ah! So peaceful.
    Screenshot-8_zpsd0qrl720.jpg

** squish squish **
    Screenshot-2_zpslrrnhcgh.jpg

Addy Sim is dedicated to making sure that all fruit receives attention!
    Screenshot-3_zpssq6hduwg.jpg

Her efforts have been labeled "Bottled Sunshine" and she's sure you'll like this particular blend.
    Screenshot-10_zpsrx6nubst.jpg

The alchemy section wasn't forgotten.
    Screenshot-9_zpsrvbwezc0.jpg

Thanks for your valuable insight, @creativemetaphor
    I planned to add a painting, but definitely took your decor ideas into consideration & finished the space with a usable chest.

What might look like a birdbath in the landscaping is actually a moondial.

OHEMGEE! I absolutely love it! Love, love, luuuuuuuurve!
    I love the meditation area and did I spy a ballet bar?! Awesome! That means my little witch can keep in shape!
    There's so many fun things that I can explore in this house - ALCHEMY!!! I've never tried it before :mrgreen:

I love the little inside garden area too; that's very clever! How did you know my witch prefers the indoors to the outdoors :wink:

I love the little action shots especially that one of falling in the nectar bucket! I'm so excited to use that; I never have! Oooh and bottle sunshine...love it!

What's the kitty's name? Do they come with the house? :wink::mrgreen:

Beautiful job m'dear!
    @aricarai
    Thank YOU for sorting the pictures, it really helped!

I'm in between
    No. 1 Golden Thatch
    No. 5 Ivory Steel
    No. 6 Pale Thatch
    so it's pretty obvious that I like the paler tones :lol:
    Thatched definitely gives it a tropical feel, but I do like hearing rain on a metal roof so any of these three would suit. Thanks.

My only nit-pick in regards to the roofing (sorry!) is that I don't like the color of the ramshackle wood shingle on the front ~ too dark ~ but like it on the back where it seems lighter in shade. Maybe lighten the front a little bit in order to "mimic" what the back looks like.

The orange is nice but I'm not sure about it against the blue/turquoise. Perhaps taking the hex code for the blue here => ColorCodeHex <= might provide a good color complement. Just a thought.
    edited April 2017
    Everyone:
    So, we haven't heard from Hannah in several weeks. It's likely that her surgery recovery is taking more of her time and energy than she had probably expected. It seems we are going to be short a participant for the next two rounds.

I've discussed it with everyone privately, and for this round, I am simply going to slip into Hannah's place. I was supposed to be building for Hannah, and she was going to be building for CreativeMetaphor, so I will build for CM instead. Neither I nor CM have any problems with this. :)

I would like to ask for volunteers for the final round, if any of the lurkers are interested. In that round, Hannah would have been building for Ciane, and Kgaff would have been building for Hannah. In this case, whoever volunteers will build for Ciane, and Kgaff will build for you. Either way, you're going to win. You'll get a great build from Kgaff, and you'll probably learn a lot from Ciane. I did, at least. :)

Just remember, anyone who is interested will have a few weeks to think about it, because that's not until round 5, and it's round 4 that is starting tomorrow.

And since round 4 IS starting tomorrow...
    @CreativeMetaphor: Is there anything in particular you would be interested in from me? Another DV revamp? Or something completely different?

Edit: Just in case people need an update on who is building for who this coming round:

Round 4:
    • MiaSkywalker => hannahc1023
    • ADWilson => Kgaff
    • creativemetaphor => Mia Skywalker
    • ciane => ADWilson
    • hannahc1023 => CreativeMetaphor
    • Kgaff => Ciane

Edit 2: @aricarai & @ADWilson: Don't worry that you guys aren't finished yet. You two started late, and hadn't had a chance to discuss things before Ari jumped in, so take as long as you need to finish yours. Addy, you'll still need to build for Kgaff, but I'm sure you can handle it. :)
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Love the little step up winery! And that painting is awesome there. Perfect colors!
    aricarai wrote: »
    OHEMGEE! I absolutely love it! Love, love, luuuuuuuurve!
    I love the meditation area and did I spy a ballet bar?! Awesome! That means my little witch can keep in shape!
    There's so many fun things that I can explore in this house - ALCHEMY!!! I've never tried it before :mrgreen:

I love the little inside garden area too; that's very clever! How did you know my witch prefers the indoors to the outdoors :wink:

I love the little action shots especially that one of falling in the nectar bucket! I'm so excited to use that; I never have! Oooh and bottle sunshine...love it!

What's the kitty's name? Do they come with the house? :wink::mrgreen:

Beautiful job m'dear!

Yes, you did indeed spy the ballet barre along the mirrored wall. While building with your witch in mind, I thought that she would want to keep in shape mentally (spells & alchemy) and physically (ballet & martial arts, but she can easily workout with the stereo). somehow I didn't think the treadmill or exercise machine were quite her thing so I opted for other equipment.

Glad you like the little inside garden spot. I wanted to do a zen meditation garden, but quickly realized that terrain paints are only for the terrain so no raked sand inside and thus a smaller space was created for a bit of greenery. I didn't place a door but you could easily do that if you wanted one. It was more for the visual appeal than anything else.

I obviously have fun naming different nectar combinations as well as titles for written works. ;)

The kitty is named Cornflower and while she would enjoy visiting your witch, she isn't a creation of mine ~ a gift from @Shannen and can be found => here <= with her fairy friend.

Thank you, thank you ... going with the name "Moonlight Magic" and will upload the house soon!!!
    @ADWilson - I went with Ivy Steel...tropical rains on metal woul be very comforting I think.

Ahh..the shingle siding at the front? Let me lighten it up for you and see what happens.

I've just gone to that website - how awesome is that, btw - I kid you not, the complementary color is an orange...but it could be a different shade...let me get a pic for you!

Build update:
    That is such a cute little house! It would fit very well in any of the towns like Riverview or Sunlit Tides, but I think it would look best in Aurora Skies. Maybe that's just me, though. :)

Ari, you've never played with nectar, alchemy and witches? Then you're missing out on some of the best cheats in the game! :lol:

Seriously, some really good nectar can give you some great buffs, and the elixirs (and spells) can help you in tomb diving more than you would believe. I carry at least a dozen Potent Invigorating elixirs on my witch, and I'm constantly using the motive charm spells on herself, and she never has to eat, sleep, talk to anyone, or go to the bathroom.

The only cheats that I like maybe a little better than all of those are the dragons. The neat thing about THOSE is that all you have to do is pull out the green dragon, and BAM! Your hunger and bladder motive get filled almost instantly. (He auto-casts a charm that fills them, and makes it so they won't even start to drain for a couple of hours.) The purple dragon will do the same to your social and... I think the fun motive. I don't remember which motives the black and red dragons fill, since I rarely use them. And the dragons are cute, to boot! :)

It's really funny how many legitimate cheats this game has in it. :)
    Ok...is anyone else having troubles with photobucket? It's driving me mental!

@ADWilson - here's the original door color vs the complementary color of the siding:

Screenshot_523.jpg
    Screenshot_524.jpg

In the second picture, I've put the new complementary color on the door to the basement, so you can see what it looks like against the siding.

Here are some pictures of the laboratory - just layout...let me know what you think?

There's a lab area and then there's an office area just off it for writing up reports and other science-y things!
    Screenshot_522.jpg

Screenshot_517.jpg

Screenshot_518.jpg

Screenshot_519.jpg

Screenshot_520.jpg

Screenshot_521.jpg

Anything else you'd want to see in there? Or get rid of anything?
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @kgaff MOUNT VERNON!

There may have been some minor changes to rooms after these shots were taken, but I'll just let those be little surprises for you to find :)

@MiaSkywalker My entry post is entirely updated with link and pictures!!

@kgaff I compiled all the pictures into one post, and added the last couple of rooms I hadn't shown individually yet. Man, I LOVED this build!!!
    Also Addy, just realised that the bar that's in the basement, you can't practice making drinks. Do you want your nectar maker to be able to gain skill points from the bar?

If so, I think these are the only two options (obviously not in these colors)...

Screenshot_525.jpg
    @MiaSkywalker - Nope, never played with any of those things. In fact, I probably haven't played with most of content that I have. In the grand scheme of things for TS3, I probably know very little about the gameplay compared to building and decorating!

If I do play, it's mostly families. One is a police officer and the other is in the cooking career. I have done the firefighter and the interior designer, but most other careers, I probably haven't completed or visited in ages. I'm a very boring player as I spend most of the time creating, so Addy's Moonlight Magic will get me away from the usual, which I'm really looking forward to!
    edited April 2017
    @aricarai
    Photobucket was down for maintenance a day or so ago, but appears to be working fine for me today.
    ** knocks on wood **

The toned-down orange is a nice contrast to the blue/turquoise. I like!

Oooh ... now THAT'S what I call a science lab!!! I like!
    Want a laugh?
    As soon as I finished peeking at the lab pictures, I saw the cloning machine in the window but didn't notice it before looking at the pics. :lol:

Yes to having a bar that increases the mixology skill. I think it would be fun for my nectar-maker to know all the ins and outs of making & creating different drinks. I like the sleeker looking one on the left for this home. Thanks for thinking of it!

ETA:
    Now Photobucket is being plain mean!
    Haha! That is funny. If you look back even further at older pictures you may see some science-y stuff in the windows.

So glad you like the lab! I've had fun laying items down as that's another career I've never really explored. What do you think for the wall colors? Do we want a sterile science environment or maybe a little more eccentric?

I still need to work on the shingles...I'm afraid that with different times throughout the day, the shadows will change the color again. I'll play with the times of day and see what happens with different color shingles.
    Haha! That is funny. If you look back even further at older pictures you may see some science-y stuff in the windows.

So glad you like the lab! I've had fun laying items down as that's another career I've never really explored. What do you think for the wall colors? Do we want a sterile science environment or maybe a little more eccentric?

I still need to work on the shingles...I'm afraid that with different times throughout the day, the shadows will change the color again. I'll play with the times of day and see what happens with different color shingles.

I briefly played the rabbit-hole career but haven't fully explored the science skill so pairing those should be fun!

I really like that grey! The blue is a nice change of pace for the smaller area. Easy to see either sterile science or eccentric so how about I let you surprise me on this one ... you are always creative & have such wonderful ideas so let them flow in whatever direction they go!

Don't spend too much time fussing with the shingle color because there is no sense in letting my nit pick drive you bonkers. If you can find a happy medium, go with it.
  • KaytayRoallKaytayRoall Posts: 923 Member
    *unlurks* Hi there!

I've been following this thread for a while. I love the idea and have been hoping that if another round happens that I could get in on it. I just saw that you are looking for someone to fill a vacancy for a round, though. Depending on the time frame, I would be happy to volunteer.

I am a little concerned about time, though... I'm in school until mid-May and homework keeps me busy. I don't get to play every day. But maybe if I could get started early, or have a bit more flexibility like Aricarai and Addy have for the current round?
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @creativemetaphor Good news!! :) The build is done!!! I still have some tweaks to do in the dungeon but I managed to have a sim navigate the entire thing with not too many problems, a switch here, a key there. I will get it straightened out tomorrow and with any luck have it uploaded by Monday.

I think you may have to place it where I built it so I will post the address with a location picture. I'm so excited now, I think it came out pretty good :)

PS I never did find the layout of the second floor of Monticello. Do you realize there are like 34 room in that place?!?!? I think I'll have to skip some of them to get it to fit on a normal sized lot. I love the sleeping alcoves too!

I briefly played the rabbit-hole career but haven't fully explored the science skill so pairing those should be fun!

I really like that grey! The blue is a nice change of pace for the smaller area. Easy to see either sterile science or eccentric so how about I let you surprise me on this one ... you are always creative & have such wonderful ideas so let them flow in whatever direction they go!

Don't spend too much time fussing with the shingle color because there is no sense in letting my nit pick drive you bonkers. If you can find a happy medium, go with it.

That grey is just the normal walls without any covering on it. Hmmm...let me play with both kind of ideas!

I'll fiddle with the shingles!

We're nearing the finish line yay!
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member

Ooohhh I forgot about mediation, when they get in the "zen" they hoover above the ground! I haven't done that in a long time.