Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    This round sure has had it's share of problems for all of us!!
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Thank you ladies for solutions. Ahhh CFE and hills, yikes! I'll do whatever @ADWilson would like as it's her build. :mrgreen:
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    @ADWilson - hmmm...not sure what to do! The basement needs to stay because of the nectar making.

I was just about to start on the laboratory and science career Sims bedrooms.

If I move to another world, is there a different career that would go with a different world? I feel like I'd need to change the exterior to suit the world.

Starting over wouldn't be so bad but only if the basement tool works instead of a walk out.

What do you think? It's your build and I want it to suit what you want. I feel like the build as it is would look out of place in another world.

So options:
    1. Start over if the basement tool works
    2. Revamp the exterior for a different world
    3. Revamp exterior and choose a different career other than science

@aricarai
    13688-Pooh-Bear-Think.gif?1

I <3 this house and really don't want to have to let it go!
    How about moving it to Sunlit Tides? I think this Scandinavian/modern style would look nice there. I'm not sure what size lot you are working with but am perfectly fine with the removal of any of the empty houses if you find a plot that suits better than one of the already empty lots.

The two careers (nectar-making and science) could still be done.
    As for the exterior of the house, how about placing it and then seeing if the color suits or not.
    @ADWilson; I think that would work very, very well!
    Let me have a look at the houses there and see what would fit for the exterior. I think the current red-orange might be too loud?
    Also, it seems that the basement tool works at keeping water out. I'll post pictures once photobucket quits playing up!
    Here are the two different styles of basements in Aurora Skies.

Walkout

Screenshot-489_zpsqfddqmg9.jpg

vs

Basement tool

Screenshot-490_zpsy8m3zr6j.jpg
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited April 2017
    Yay! Basement tool to the rescue!

Mia, since I had to redo this without WA and any other EP, I went a different route with it. I do hope to upload the other lot if I can, so this one is repurposed. The story is that there was a feud. Some called it a fishing hole and others called it a swimming hole. Sims didn't want other sims swimming where they were fishing and some sims didn't want to swim with fish. Imagine that getting out of control and sims choosing sides over the issue. It was resolved in the age old way. A line was drawn down the middle and marked with a bridge. And, of course, the clans were united by blood via a marriage ceremony. To this day, sims still go there to fish, swim, grill, play chess, paint, learn and cast spells, and even marry. :mrgreen:

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9077610
    overview
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Views around the lot:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Views inside:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

More pics in my media section in my studio.
    Post edited by ciane on
    @aricarai
    I'm about to take a lunch break (late lunch for me!) but wanted to stop by and give a quick update on your build. Sorry, no further pictures at this time (soon, very soon!).

Almost done with the top floor and then time to move outside and do something about the lack of landscaping. With some further testing, upgrading and picture-taking I hope to have this ready by sometime tomorrow! Hopefully.
    @creativemetaphor :(

I'm at my wits end, I can't make the prison work. I tried moving the doorway out, back, deleted it totally, changed doors, deleted the entire front column and rebuilt it, did the CFE thing. Nothing worked, there are no working doors on the entire lot. :'(

Removing the basements did something very strange and I have no clue what it is.

I can rebuild the prison this weekend, I think it will go pretty fast since I can just copy what I already did. I don't know what else to try. I'm so sorry not to have it ready this week.
    ADWilson wrote: »
    @aricarai
    I'm about to take a lunch break (late lunch for me!) but wanted to stop by and give a quick update on your build. Sorry, no further pictures at this time (soon, very soon!).

Almost done with the top floor and then time to move outside and do something about the lack of landscaping. With some further testing, upgrading and picture-taking I hope to have this ready by sometime tomorrow! Hopefully.

Enjoy your lunch. I was about to post some pictures of the exterior in Sunlit Tides but photobucket is being a real pain and crashed after I posted the basement pictures. Grrrr...hopefully they'll be here when you get back. :mrgreen:
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Hugs Arica and kgaff! I finally got my redo done. It's not as special as the original, but I do hope to retrieve that file and post it later.
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @kgaff Oh hon! Don't fret - this (and a few other things) are literally taking ALL of my free time so I wouldn't have been able to play it anyway! Not until this whole Round Robin thing is over! So take just as much time as you need.

I'm so sorry that it isn't working, I am utterly stumped as to what could be causing it. Do you have any saves with the dungeon you can use? I can just not use the dungeon as a puzzle and just leave it as a decorative feature? Then at least the whole rest of the build worked and you don't have to start over!
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    Kgaff wrote: »
    @creativemetaphor :(

I'm at my wits end, I can't make the prison work. I tried moving the doorway out, back, deleted it totally, changed doors, deleted the entire front column and rebuilt it, did the CFE thing. Nothing worked, there are no working doors on the entire lot. :'(

Removing the basements did something very strange and I have no clue what it is.

I can rebuild the prison this weekend, I think it will go pretty fast since I can just copy what I already did. I don't know what else to try. I'm so sorry not to have it ready this week.
    Oh my, this round has certainly been one for difficulties! I guess I've been lucky, since I haven't had any problems.

I hope all of these difficulties get straightened out! I absolutely love that prison you were building, and totally intend to steal borrow it for my own games. I really hope you can fix it?

(Remind me again: Why did you remove the basements? Were there some difficulties with it? I'm not recalling any atm.)

Oh, hey! Did you consider putting a front door on the second floor? I've never personally done that before, but I've seen builds like that. Maybe that could work here.
    @creativemetaphor and @MiaSkywalker

All is not lost!!

I managed to find a previous save with most of the dungeon so I just ran with that. The doors all work!!! The dungeon is done and partially tested!!!

There are a few mistakes so far but nothing that I can't get fixed. It will take a day or two to fully test and then, hopefully, photobucket the launcher will behave.

There is an end in sight :)
    edited April 2017
    @aricarai
    It's done, done, DONE!

e5ee788e-8b80-4449-ab8b-b578c025b96a_zpsnryf94bz.jpg

Download Link: Moonlight Magic
    No CAP or 3PCC.
    Custard-checked, clean. o:)
    Perfect quality plants! Upgraded appliances! And more!

Exterior:
    Screenshot_zpsjswjlxzb.jpg

Park your broom & step inside.
    Screenshot-52_zpsivk91pqh.jpg

Main Floor:
    247d7876-1117-49a8-90cc-de9862e052b0_zpstixd7wiy.jpg

Living/Dining/Kitchen
    Screenshot-54_zpsc5bj0gql.jpg
    Screenshot-55_zpshey55p6k.jpg
    Screenshot-56_zpsypmpshkl.jpg
    Screenshot-57_zps3vppia6u.jpg

Down the hall, door on the left ~ Bedroom
    Screenshot-59_zpsfiv9tc7s.jpg
    Screenshot-60_zpshrmzxhz2.jpg

Last door on the right ~ Laundry
    Screenshot-61_zpspmvygxn0.jpg
    Screenshot-62_zpscysw7uvq.jpg

First door on the right ~ Bathroom
    Screenshot-64_zpsouy41yut.jpg
    Screenshot-65_zpsqtfjrctp.jpg

Let's go downstairs ...
    Screenshot-58_zpslfpglnji.jpg
    Screenshot-66_zpslfoliw52.jpg

Basement:
    7bb75596-c555-4faf-999d-ca78a3efd72c_zps4camjrxc.jpg

Alchemy section
    Screenshot-69_zpsli6gtddk.jpg
    Screenshot-68_zps3txdj6is.jpg

Screenshot-70_zpsqxnp8ahy.jpg

Door nearest the fencing ~ Bathroom
    Screenshot-73_zpsyknvwoxs.jpg

Screenshot-74_zpsrvvzwq6v.jpg
    Screenshot-75_zpsla3gkhij.jpg

Door across from the fencing ~ Nectar Cellar
    Screenshot-72_zpsa5lqayi5.jpg

Nectar-Making section
    Screenshot-71_zps6zfvukk3.jpg
    Once Addy Sim has your approval, she'll get busy with the next phase of this fun project!

In the meantime, let's peek upstairs

Top Floor:
    e3e5d3a4-57c4-4c95-8355-3c02eeaa90be_zpsbezcrfww.jpg

Mirror, mirror standing tall
    Crystal ball make clear to all
    Spells need reciting so they don't fall
    Screenshot-41_zps0hogzwq2.jpg

Decide to stir up trouble or make a sim's day
    Sip tea because the leaves have something to say
    Screenshot-42_zps3dbkeffu.jpg

Research new spells ~ keep track of success ~ find new clients
    Screenshot-43_zpsmdpi8v1y.jpg

Door nearest the globe ~ Half Bathroom
    Screenshot-44_zpszbphzybz.jpg

A bit stressed?
    Perhaps a bit of reflection while looking here might help
    Screenshot-48_zpswsduoncr.jpg

Or perhaps stepping out here for a spell (sorry, I couldn't resist!)
    Screenshot-51_zpszg7t7vxv.jpg

Or maybe work out some of that tension
    Screenshot-49_zpsr3qkmli0.jpg
    Screenshot-50_zpsior7n8uv.jpg

The door nearest the ballet barre ~ Bathroom
    Screenshot-47_zpsxdi0lghq.jpg
    Screenshot-46_zpsiub71fp7.jpg
    Screenshot-45_zps2lqihapt.jpg

ETA: a few more pictures and action shots can be found => HERE <=
    then
    ETA: Finishing touches so everything can be found in one handy-dandy location!
    Post edited by ADWilson on
    Oh Addy! It looks beautiful! I love it. My unnamed witch and her kitty cat will be so very happy there.

You've done a fabulous job! Maybe a little more landscaping in the back if you're up to it. I have seen your skills in that department. You are amazing!

Photobucket is still playing up for me but hopefully the maintenance will be over by tomorrow and I can share more pictures.
    edited April 2017
    @ADWilson That really turned out beautifully! I love that... is it a birdbath? In the landscaping. and OMG I love the 'grow lights' in the basement!!! (at least, I assume that's what they are??) As well as all the bold colors inside! Very Victorian-esque :)

One comment only from an architectural point of view - on the main floor, the hallway to the bedroom, bath, and laundry is a little awkward in that it's sort of a hallway to nowhere. I mean obviously you need to get to all the rooms somehow, but hallways are generally considered dead space and minimized when possible.

A way to address it is to make a feature of the end of the hall. A window, a table with curios or accent pieces, maybe a cozy chair? It turns the hallway into a sort of transition room, instead of dead space it's now functional to some degree as a nook or display area.

Another way is to extend the last room all the way across so the last half of the hallway space becomes room space. In this case, it would be the laundry room extending, but since there's no real need to have that so much larger, you could switch it with the bathroom and extend the bathroom across, making it larger and maybe having a door directly off the bedroom?

I'm not suggesting you make any changes to your build, just using your build as an example of how spaces can be utilized differently. :)

@kgaff YAY! I'm glad it wasn't a total loss/rebuild! *happy dance*
    Post edited by creativemetaphor on
    @aricarai Also, just a caution - I haven't tried it with a basement tool yet, but I did notice that my first builds in Aurora Skies with a walk-out basement didn't flood right away, not until I had I think exited the world at least and gone back in, so just keep an eye on your basement.
    Kgaff wrote: »
    @creativemetaphor and @MiaSkywalker

All is not lost!!

I managed to find a previous save with most of the dungeon so I just ran with that. The doors all work!!! The dungeon is done and partially tested!!!

There are a few mistakes so far but nothing that I can't get fixed. It will take a day or two to fully test and then, hopefully, photobucket the launcher will behave.

There is an end in sight :)
    I'm VERY glad! It's such a wonderful build, and rebuilding is just so frustrating!

@Ciane: I'm sorry you've had to rebuild yours, but the new one is very nice! I love the backstory on it. It almost never occurs to me to think up a backstory, but when there is one, it's fun! It's hard to believe you manged to do that with no expansions! I guess the store items carried you over, but it really is very pretty! (And now I'll get TWO lots to play with, once you get your computer back!)
    @kgaff so when this is all over, I think one of the next builds on my list will be Monticello, which was Jefferson's home! It looks a lot trickier than Mount Vernon, but one thing I'm absolutely going gaga over is all the bedrooms put the beds in little curtained nooks!! Even Jefferson's main bedroom, the bed is in this double-sided nook between the bedroom and his office, it's so cool! Definitely going to build it!
    @kgaff so when this is all over, I think one of the next builds on my list will be Monticello, which was Jefferson's home! It looks a lot trickier than Mount Vernon, but one thing I'm absolutely going gaga over is all the bedrooms put the beds in little curtained nooks!! Even Jefferson's main bedroom, the bed is in this double-sided nook between the bedroom and his office, it's so cool! Definitely going to build it!

Is there a page like the Mt Vernon one? That would be fun. I'd like to try it too.
    @Kgaff

Oh man, I went round and round on that site for probably two very frustrating hours trying to find the second bloody floor!!! lol But I did get it sketched up at work today at last :) Definitely trickier than Mount Vernon was. I did find Hamilton's house as well, which was very straight forward, maybe I'll leave Monticello to you and I'll do the Grange :mrgreen:
    edited April 2017
    @Kgaff

Oh man, I went round and round on that site for probably two very frustrating hours trying to find the second bloody floor!!! lol But I did get it sketched up at work today at last :) Definitely trickier than Mount Vernon was. I did find Hamilton's house as well, which was very straight forward, maybe I'll leave Monticello to you and I'll do the Grange :mrgreen:

Oh, more floor plans! Monticello is so grand! Just like Mt. Vernon. Wow, you're really getting into the historical stuff. Our Sims are lucky to be able to live in places like these. :)

I don't think I've ever seen what Hamilton's place looked like. Is it as grand as these two?

Oh man, those roofs on Monticello look like they'll be a bear to try to recreate!
    edited April 2017
    @ADWilson - We've picked up and moved to Sunlit Tides

Let's start with the view:

2i6ccc6.jpg

And finally we have the exterior (what do you think of it?) and different roof choices.

Screenshot_492.jpg

Screenshot_493.jpg

Screenshot_494.jpg

Screenshot_495.jpg

Screenshot_496.jpg

Screenshot_497.jpg

Screenshot_498.jpg

Screenshot_499.jpg

I will be changing the door colors again, just wanted you to take a look at the exterior which I think fits with the world!