Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Willingly Writing Reading Circle (On Hiatus)

Comments

• AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    @AdamsEve1231 I spent the last day or so trying to come up with questions, which is usually something I struggle with. Reminds me too much of high school English class, I think. LOL. Anyway, the major feedback I was looking for on Spectres I managed to get from the Feedback thread when I resurrected the story and started writing it again - whether it flowed from the old chapters to the new chapter. I'm pretty satisfied that it does. I meant to get to writing another chapter in the last few days, but I just haven't had time to. It will probably be another week until I can get to it, too, with the testing schedule for my challenge that I'm currently still working on. Updates will come quicker after I finish the last two parts of that challenge's testing in May. Other than that, I had trouble coming up with questions that didn't spoil where I want to go with the story.. but I did manage to figure out a few.
    1. What do you think of Katie's character? Who do you think she is, at heart?
    2. What do you think might have happened to the town's residents?
    3. What are your overall impressions of the story so far?
    4. I am likely to find there are "boring" stretches of play where it's a lot of skilling for Katie, and very little actual story going on. How do you handle these times when writing a story? This is a concern mostly because as I'm doing a journal style story, and I'm not entirely how to handle these stretches of time. Should I do a time jump in the story, or what? When I conceptualized the story, I figured I'd do it day by day and continue through the boring parts, but that was before I decided to make it story-driven rather than game-driven. I'm just not sure how to handle it in the writing.

@IllusoryThrall Oh no. It's not meant to feel like high school English or an assignment, just a way to leap start a conversation. Or guide discussion if you're looking for specific feedback. You can always do free-form discussion. :)
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited April 2017
    @xJojox, @Simcraft81, @Dancer-freak, @IllusoryThrall, @DreamsInPixels, @Arrowleaf, and @Yushika

Hope you're having a good weekend. Just a reminder discussion on Spectres of the Past starts Monday. @IllusoryThrall gave us questions back a page too. :)

Here's a few questions to think about...

1) What were your initial thoughts?
    2) What are some predictions for the story?
    3) How would you describe the main character?
    4) What was your favorite moment?

Thanks everyone. Happy Simming!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Simcraft81Simcraft81 Posts: 499 Member
    edited April 2017
    Happy Easter, Happy Sunday, Happy Simming!
    eg.jpg

Happy Easter everyone. Have a beautiful day!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • xJojoxxJojox Posts: 6,878 Member
    Happy Easter Liz :)

Actually happy Easter Everyone!!!
  • ArrowleafArrowleaf Posts: 3,871 Member
    edited April 2017
    Happy late Easter everyone! <3
    I thought it was a sorta Silent Hill take on the Sims, and was instantly curious to find out more.

Time travel! Since she went to the library and got some books on the subject, plus she is an inventor, I am going to make that assumption. :smiley:

Brave (she travels out into a world she knows... but doesn't know), determined and pragmatic (from the first chapter we see that she has a drive to survive and she goes about collecting food and supplies)

When she invented Norman. :smile:
      [*] What do you think of Katie's character? Who do you think she is, at heart?
      Katie seems like she would be a meek, bookish type individual had her world not fallen apart. Given the 'event', her stronger sides have come out, but she is becoming depressed. I hope the creation of Norman can eventually help with her isolation.

[*] What do you think might have happened to the town's residents?
      Since she never sees any dead bodies, I believe that they did just disappear. Either that, or Katie was transported to a different dimension.

[*] What are your overall impressions of the story so far?
      It has this sorta eerie quality that I really like. So far, everything is still very much a mystery and we don't know anything about what happened - except that at night there seems to be monster/animal sounds.

[*] I am likely to find there are "boring" stretches of play where it's a lot of skilling for Katie, and very little actual story going on. How do you handle these times when writing a story? This is a concern mostly because as I'm doing a journal style story, and I'm not entirely how to handle these stretches of time. Should I do a time jump in the story, or what? When I conceptualized the story, I figured I'd do it day by day and continue through the boring parts, but that was before I decided to make it story-driven rather than game-driven. I'm just not sure how to handle it in the writing.
      Well, a lot of people don't write in their journal every single day anyway. You could either go that route. I honestly don't mind reading about the skilling currently, so if you kept it in a similar vain I would be fine reading about it.

4s8gctV.png
      The Landon Legacy Wordpress // Forums|
      Chasing Rainbows: Wordpress // Forums
    1. AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
      @IllusoryThrall
      I had seen the Silent Hill world advertised before, and I liked the concept of a post-apocalyptic world story. I was curious about what caused the the roar, and how Katie would survive.

I wonder if Katie will find more people who survived the Roar. Also I like @Arrowleaf's time travel prediction... maybe dystopian future? or a utopian future but she can't stay there... and it's here dream-world escape?

She's resourceful with getting all the things that she needs, and brave to face this world alone, so far.

Ditto what @Arrowleaf said... I liked the creation of Norman.

5) What do you think of Katie's character? Who do you think she is, at heart?
      Like I already said, Katie is resourceful and brave. I like how she pauses to think about things, because I feel like I would too if I were in her shoes, like stealing from the grocery store, etc. I think her reading will really come in handy during her survival, plus it'll help keep her sane.

6) What do you think might have happened to the town's residents?
      Alien abduction? Or they escaped to another town? Or teleported? Maybe they all time traveled to the future or something. I like @Arrowleaf's idea of another dimension, possibly.

7) What are your overall impressions of the story so far?
      The story has an otherworldly and yet familiar feel to it. Everything is shrouded in eerie fog and mystery. Does Katie even know what caused the roar and everyone to disappear? I hope to see how she continues to survive this world and new life, and if she'll meet or find other people, or figure out what happened to the world and everyone in it.

8) I am likely to find there are "boring" stretches of play where it's a lot of skilling for Katie, and very little actual story going on. How do you handle these times when writing a story? This is a concern mostly because as I'm doing a journal style story, and I'm not entirely how to handle these stretches of time. Should I do a time jump in the story, or what? When I conceptualized the story, I figured I'd do it day by day and continue through the boring parts, but that was before I decided to make it story-driven rather than game-driven. I'm just not sure how to handle it in the writing.

Since it's a journal-style, she doesn't have to write in it every day, or she doesn't have to include every detail, if she doesn't want to. I do a mix of game-driven and story-driven in my stories, but I'm more the latter, so if something is lagging in game, I try to set-up parts I need vs. documenting everything that happens. Sometimes I'll include additional content, story blurbs, pictures I liked, funnies or goofs or outtakes, if you will, on my Simblr or in another post. Perhaps, you, as the omniscient writer, could include little bits of the mystery revealed in each entry, a hint here, a clue there, a flashback or memory that might trigger some recognition that might help Katie out in her daily life or figure out what happened. That way you can write the everyday stuff, but include something to keep the plot moving. Great question!

Find me elsewhere:
      My Worldbuilding Blog
      Simblr
      My Sims Pinterest
    2. NymphieaNymphiea Posts: 254 Member
      Happy late Easter!
      Gen1.png
      Come check out my Sims 4 legacy story! We're on generation one currently.
      It's Just Another Story
    3. AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
      @IllusoryThrall, @xJojox, @DreamsinPixels, @Simcraft81, @Yushika, @Dancer-freak, @Arrowleaf

I've got a few more questions to keep our discussion going about Spectres of the Past.

For the Readers
      1) Favorite Katie outfit?
      2) Favorite story picture?
      3) A place in town you'd like to see Katie visit?

For the Author:
      1) How did you decide to do the challenge?
      2) Was there anything that surprised you as you were gaming/writing?
      3) What is your favorite thing about Katie or the story in general?

Find me elsewhere:
      My Worldbuilding Blog
      Simblr
      My Sims Pinterest
    4. xJojoxxJojox Posts: 6,878 Member
      :( I feel really guilty. Its like 2am and its probably my last bit of free time before my computer goes into a box and i pack up to move on the 21st (aussie time is a day ahead) so its like 36 hours away. OMG it came around sooooo quickly!!! I wont have internet for a possible week to 10 days. I apologise to my fellow readers :( I will read your story @IllusoryThrall If i have success on my phone and can answer questions i promise i will. But cleaning un packing and organising may not allow me to do it. Sorry in advance!

I have finished my photos to pump out another update for my readers tomorrow to hopefully tie them over til i'm gone. But without internet, i will have unlimited time to spend in game making poses for a mega update when i have access again :)

So i'm just taking the time now to say bye bye to you all til the end of the month, happy reading xx
    5. AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
      Good luck with your move, @xJojox. I hope everything goes smoothly. Congratulations again on your new home. I totally understand here so no worries. Take your time and we'll welcome you back after your move. :)

Find me elsewhere:
      My Worldbuilding Blog
      Simblr
      My Sims Pinterest
    6. UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
      I'm sorry I haven't been around. Between spring chores and holidays, and long distance house building...I've been super busy. Which is why I wrote in bulk and queued the chapters. I hadn't really played much since the beginning of the month.
      Anyway, @AdamsEve1231 knows about my save corruption, so I'm not sure if I should leave the circle. Or just go on a hiatus until I either salvage this save, or have a new story. Whichever is preferable for all of you.
      ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
    7. Simcraft81Simcraft81 Posts: 499 Member
      edited April 2017
      @IllusoryThrall
      1. What do you think of Katie's character? Who do you think she is, at heart?

I think Katie is strong and probably hasn't realized this until the time of this story. That's the vibe I feel. She's a survivor and has morals. she knows she has no choice but to take things to live but she feels guilty doing it even when there's nobody around to steal it from.
      2. What do you think might have happened to the town's residents?

My first thought is probably what many other readers may assume (apocalypse etc.) but I have feel this story will have a new take on what's expected and go in a new direction. It feels like there is going to be a surprise of some sort.
      3. What are your overall impressions of the story so far?

A mysterious plot that will slowly uncover something big as we read on.
      4. I am likely to find there are "boring" stretches of play where it's a lot of skilling for Katie, and very little actual story going on. How do you handle these times when writing a story? This is a concern mostly because as I'm doing a journal style story, and I'm not entirely how to handle these stretches of time. Should I do a time jump in the story, or what? When I conceptualized the story, I figured I'd do it day by day and continue through the boring parts, but that was before I decided to make it story-driven rather than game-driven. I'm just not sure how to handle it in the writing.

Challenge yourself to make the parts that you feel may be 'boring' into something more. I don't know if you're a fan of spinoffs but that could be time to develop characters or flashbacks. It depends on what you have planned for this story.

8. AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
      @DreamsinPixels You are welcome to stick around and participate in discussions/readings. We are flexible. Take all the time you need to revamp/figure out your story. No rush here. If you feel you need to take a hiatus, I'd understand, but I'd love for you to stay. :)

Find me elsewhere:
      My Worldbuilding Blog
      Simblr
      My Sims Pinterest
    9. AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
      @Arrowleaf Just a reminder, we start reading/discussion on the Landon Legacy the day after tomorrow - the 21st. :) Let us know if there's any particular chapters you want us to read.

Find me elsewhere:
      My Worldbuilding Blog
      Simblr
      My Sims Pinterest
    10. ArrowleafArrowleaf Posts: 3,871 Member
      I'm sorry I haven't been around. Between spring chores and holidays, and long distance house building...I've been super busy. Which is why I wrote in bulk and queued the chapters. I hadn't really played much since the beginning of the month.
      Anyway, @AdamsEve1231 knows about my save corruption, so I'm not sure if I should leave the circle. Or just go on a hiatus until I either salvage this save, or have a new story. Whichever is preferable for all of you.

Dusk and Dawn's save file got corrupted? ;_; That's so sad. I hadn't caught up, but I was slowly making my way through and it is really well written. I also do not mind if you stick around while you wait to fix the save/start a new story. Whatever makes you happy. ^_^
      4s8gctV.png
    11. ArrowleafArrowleaf Posts: 3,871 Member
      edited April 2017

For the Readers
      1) Favorite Katie outfit?

That blue dress she wears sometimes. She's all dressed up with no where to go. :smile:

2) Favorite story picture?
      I like the one where she is on her a bike, going through the thick fog.

Hmmm. Maybe the graveyard? That would be spooky, though I am not sure why she would go there. :O

4s8gctV.png
    12. UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
      Arrowleaf wrote: »

Dusk and Dawn's save file got corrupted? ;_; That's so sad. I hadn't caught up, but I was slowly making my way through and it is really well written. I also do not mind if you stick around while you wait to fix the save/start a new story. Whatever makes you happy. ^_^

Yeah. It got corrupted after the last patch =/ I hadn't played it in a long time. There will be an ending, I just gotta figure out how to do it lol. I refuse to let another one of my stories go unfinished.
    13. IllusoryThrallIllusoryThrall Posts: 1,335 Member

@AdamsEve1231 For the Author:

1) How did you decide to do the challenge?
      Honestly, this story came about because I saw the world, and immediately thought of the story idea. The world really just seemed to lend itself to an apocalypse scenario. The "Nothing is Free" part of the challenge was my personal favorite challenge for Sims 3. Trying to combine the two was just a natural progression for me. Originally, I had planned to make it a game-driven story, but as I played, I realized that game-driven was just not going to work because I needed to be able to control some of the game variables for the story to progress. I have notes and a save from weeks after where the story is, but I'm taking an early save because what the story needed to have happen just didn't happen in the game.

2) Was there anything that surprised you as you were gaming/writing?
      The difficulty in getting the game to do "random" things when I needed it to happen. That's the main reason I changed the story to story-driven so I could get the story to progress the way I wanted it to.

3) What is your favorite thing about Katie?
      Her random outfits. I never know what she's going to wear when I send her out to do something. Sometimes she's in her formal wear, sometimes swimwear. I just never know and it cracks me up all the time.
      Arrowleaf wrote: »
      Hmmm. Maybe the graveyard? That would be spooky, though I am not sure why she would go there. :open_mouth:

@Arrowleaf Just a hint: she will be going to the graveyard in the story, so that should be appropriately spooky. =)

@DreamsInPixels That's so horrible that your story's save got corrupted. :frowning: You should totally stay in the group, though!

I'll respond to the questions you guys answered tomorrow. Don't have much time tonight, but I wanted to get those author questions answered before I forgot again!
    14. AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
      Hey everyone, got a little behind. I'll answer my own questions shortly and guide us into the start of @Arrowleaf' s story probably tonight (Friday evening). My mom is in town and we've been traveling around a bit.

In the meantime, thanks to @mastressalita, I discovered today (Friday) is national British tea day. In honor of this discussion coming to a close and the start of a new one, I'm bringing virtual blueberry and green teas for us to share and scones (because they are yummy).

What are your favorite teas?

Find me elsewhere:
      My Worldbuilding Blog
      Simblr
      My Sims Pinterest
    15. ArrowleafArrowleaf Posts: 3,871 Member
      edited April 2017
      As for which chapter I want you guys to read - just read as far as you can. :] I'm only on chapter 7 of the first generation, but I know life can get really busy so I don't want to force anyone to read up to that point if they don't have the time.

My favorite tea is Green Tea :O
      4s8gctV.png
    16. UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
      I've been working diligently to get my new blog up. Here's the link for my new story. I still have some setting up to do before I start the actual story...

I have a wedding to go to tonight, but when I get home I'll be catching up on everything from here.
    17. AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
      I've been working diligently to get my new blog up. Here's the link for my new story. I still have some setting up to do before I start the actual story...

I have a wedding to go to tonight, but when I get home I'll be catching up on everything from here.

@DreamsinPixels This looks awesome.

Find me elsewhere:
      My Worldbuilding Blog
      Simblr
      My Sims Pinterest