Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    edited April 2017
    @kgaff OKAY! I hadn't actually intended to have any more screenshots until tomorrow but I'm actually just so excited I have to share! :lol:

I know, I'm a dork, but I was really kind of fretting over this art room since there wasn't much I could think of to put in it other than the easels. Without a specific room to emulate, I was a little lost for this one. I didn't want to put the sculpting bench here since I intended that for the basement, and well I was just going to put the easels, a table with the paints, and a few chairs here and there which was going to be totally boring and leave the room looking sadly empty - when I was hit with a sudden burst if inspiration and I put a whole little 'staged' scene for sitting for portraits! Super nice chair, lux curtains, plush rug, etc. I'm so happy with how this turned out!! I hope you are too :mrgreen:

I give you, the attic art room!
    Attic%20Art%201_zpsh0puqmx5.jpg
    Attic%20Art%202_zpsr7nxajut.jpg

For painting portraits
    Attic%20Art%203_zpsudfeecpa.jpg

For sitting for portraits
    Attic%20Art%204_zpsb3ibdhuu.jpg

For painting still-lifes
    Attic%20Art%205_zpsonr5jpxy.jpg

For sketching
    Attic%20Art%206_zpsm5oznlhc.jpg
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    Yeah, you know, one of the things we were talking about was resetting it as a Sim leaves. I've come to the conclusion that I might do that for a few traps, but not everything, because I DO use keystones for parts of my dungeons.

The one I had made and have scrapped, I'm still going to use puzzle ideas from. One of the things I did to intrigue the player was to leave an obvious place his Sim would have to go (a keystone panel), but no way to access it yet. My dungeon was, in some ways, very non-linear, but essentially became linear. You had to do every room in a particular order; you couldn't skip one room and come back to it later, because that room led to the next.

The keystone panel I mentioned is at the end of a long corridor. On the other side of that corridor was an obvious door. (I make my secret doors Undiscoverable, so the player cannot find them by inspection.) They would go through that obvious door, and complete one side of the dungeon. In the last room on that side, they would get several keystones, one of which would allow them to open that door (that they couldn't see) that they had passed in that long corridor.

It's part of the puzzle. I'm getting a lot of my ideas from games I've played, like D&D and Final Fantasy. (I've played every FF game except FF8, and that was because I couldn't stand the hero in that game and kept wanting him to just die. Loved Laguna, though. They should have made him the hero of that game.)

So, I do need keystones. There's no other way to do the kinds of things I want to do in my dungeons. I was hoping Keystones were reusable, but unfortunately they aren't.

Btw, you have to be careful that you never have two keystones of the same Name (the Named keystones, not the generic heart, star, and crescent, I mean) in the same world. When I was testing my dungeon, I wanted to have one copy of it on my world, so I could edit a non-activated dungeon when I discovered problems in the one I was running. Unfortunately, I used a Named key, and as soon as I placed the second copy, CRASH! went my game. Oooops! :blush: So, can't do that. :) So either I can never use a Named key, or I have to specify which country that dungeon can NOT be placed in.

Btw, one of the walkthroughs was incorrect in the very first paragraph. It said you can only make dungeons in the WA worlds. WRONG. You not only can create dungeons anywhere (I was using a build world), but you can set it to the type "Landmark Tomb". Hm... otoh, my build world DOES have a base camp lot on it. Maybe that's why.

Tl;dr: You're best off just bulldozing and replacing the dungeon lot once you're done with it, rather than resetting it. That's up to the player, of course. If he just wants the renewable treasure gotten easily (do you know how often the treasure respawns? I haven't checked that yet), then of course, he's welcome to do that.

@MiaSkywalker

I've just read through the IGN The Sims 3: World Adventures Building Tombs found here - http://www.ign.com/wikis/the-sims-3-world-adventures/Building_Tombs. It has tons of good help but does have the error you pointed out about only building in WA worlds. I am building in Dragon Valley and it works there and in all other worlds as well.

They made mention of the "named keys" and alluded to but didn't specially say to use named keys from other worlds if you use them at all.

I love your puzzle idea, I had something like that in mind but I haven't fully integrated it in my dungeon yet. I've a devious little plan up my sleeve.

I don't know if you knew you could set up treasure chests to have a one time treasure (the good stuff) and then subsequent treasures for return visits. Here's how from the IGN page-

CTRL + Shift + Click on the treasure chest, and we select "Treasure Component..."

Two options come up: "Set One Time Treasure Info" and "Set Regular Treasure Info."
    The former is for the first time a Sim checks out the chest; the latter for all subsequent times the Sim checks it out. There's nothing stopping you from setting these identically, if you want to make sure your explorer gets a consistent reward.

The one-time treasures are best, in our opinion, for the final treasure box of a given tomb: this way, the Sim gets a major reward for his first trip through a tomb, but then only gets minor rewards from the same chest after that so he doesn't exploit it too badly.

As far as how often a treasure spawns I can find no information on it.
  • Options
    @kgaff OKAY! I hadn't actually intended to have any more screenshots until tomorrow but I'm actually just so excited I have to share! :lol:

I know, I'm a dork, but I was really kind of fretting over this art room since there wasn't much I could think of to put in it other than the easels. Without a specific room to emulate, I was a little lost for this one. I didn't want to put the sculpting bench here since I intended that for the basement, and well I was just going to put the easels, a table with the paints, and a few chairs here and there which was going to be totally boring and leave the room looking sadly empty - when I was hit with a sudden burst if inspiration and I put a whole little 'staged' scene for sitting for portraits! Super nice chair, lux curtains, plush rug, etc. I'm so happy with how this turned out!! I hope you are too :mrgreen:

I give you, the attic art room!

For painting portraits

For sitting for portraits

For painting still-lifes

For sketching

That's a fun room!! Good idea on the portrait set!

I have been working diligently on the dungeon and I think I made good progress today so maybe, just maybe I can do it all in one upload. I hope it doesn't crash peoples computers, it's a big lot.

• Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited April 2017
    Kgaff wrote: »
    I don't know if you knew you could set up treasure chests to have a one time treasure (the good stuff) and then subsequent treasures for return visits. Here's how from the IGN page-

CTRL + Shift + Click on the treasure chest, and we select "Treasure Component..."

Two options come up: "Set One Time Treasure Info" and "Set Regular Treasure Info."
    The former is for the first time a Sim checks out the chest; the latter for all subsequent times the Sim checks it out. There's nothing stopping you from setting these identically, if you want to make sure your explorer gets a consistent reward.

The one-time treasures are best, in our opinion, for the final treasure box of a given tomb: this way, the Sim gets a major reward for his first trip through a tomb, but then only gets minor rewards from the same chest after that so he doesn't exploit it too badly.

As far as how often a treasure spawns I can find no information on it.
    Yup! I've been setting those, probably a little too generously. :p If you set the Treasure Info to 3, for instance, you only get 1 of the one-time treasure, and 2 of the repeatable.

I don't know how often the repeatable spawns; several game-days after my Sim had completed the dungeon I had placed under my revamped community garden, she went back to the chests but they were still empty. There's no info on time interval to work with. Or maybe it's after you exit and re-enter the game? Dunno, but maybe I'll check again when I launch the game today.

So, what I decided to do was copy every single one of the tombs in each of the worlds into my library. Now I can go into them to my heart's content, because I can always bulldoze the tomb after I've done it, and re-place it. :p Although you DO have to turn EnableLotLocking to True, and then unlock the little padlock icon for the lot, in order to do that. I learned that last night, when I was replacing some of the default buildings in Shang Simla. (The base camps are just awful. I found several nice replacements of various WA places by @Ciane and @luckyheather {I hope it's the same LuckyHeather here as on the old site} and am using those now. Huzzah!)

Anyway, back to treasures... we all love those, right? ;) Of course, some of the treasures I've been putting in the dungeons under buildings in DV have more to do with stuff in my testing Sims' inventories. Like potions, perfect fruits, genie lamps, that sort of thing. You know, nothing TOO big. :mrgreen: But I was also playing with testing some of the options, so I had it so every chest (in the garden one, there are 18 chests, I think) offered one Tomb Collection item (because I was curious what those were) as the one-time, and then various other things I was curious about for the repeatable. Getting a bunch of the junky things is kind of disappointing, but getting 4 soulpeace gems of varying cuts is kind of fun. :) Before I upload the lot, I'll probably change those, at least the relics. Otherwise people will start thinking that I'm, you know, generous, or something.
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker do you set the "twinkles" that go from the trigger to the behavior? I was wondering how many of those are necessary, like if a switch is right next to the door would you bother with the behavior Fx?

Some times I feel like I'm speaking a foreign language with all these terms LOL :)

I could be really mean and not do any of them but that would probably not be fun for the explorer. >:)

• Options
    Kgaff wrote: »
    @MiaSkywalker do you set the "twinkles" that go from the trigger to the behavior? I was wondering how many of those are necessary, like if a switch is right next to the door would you bother with the behavior Fx?

Some times I feel like I'm speaking a foreign language with all these terms LOL :)

I could be really mean and not do any of them but that would probably not be fun for the explorer. >:)
    I've read about the FX, but I'll admit I've never set them. I should - when I play a game, the FX is part of what it's all about. It would make it more fun, no?

That's a thought, but honestly, I've been more concerned with getting the mechanics right first! :p
  • Options
    @kgaff I am delighted to get to say all three above-ground floors of the house are FINISHED!!! I have only a few touch-ups on the exterior and the cellar to go! I am so excited to be able to show off the final finished product - so close!!
  • Options
    @kgaff I am delighted to get to say all three above-ground floors of the house are FINISHED!!! I have only a few touch-ups on the exterior and the cellar to go! I am so excited to be able to show off the final finished product - so close!!
    Yay! Can't wait to download it!
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I'm glad you are having fun with those adventures Mia and @kgaff! It's great learning about all that from you both!

And yay for being almost done @creativemetaphor!

I am making progress on the swimming hole lot on my laptop and have come up with a twist. It'll be different than before (though laid out about the same). Obviously I didn't have the cute outhouses (that was a digital download, and I don't think it was mac-friendly) or the martial arts stuff (because I have no EPs on my laptop), but I made an outhouse and the building in the same fashion as before. The theme is just going to be a little bit different. I plan to surprise you (since I learned what you liked last time).

Still no word from the computer guy, but the new UPS arrived today and is charging now.

Great art room idea @creativemetaphor!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @kgaff IT'S DONE!!!!

Will upload tomorrow and get the whole post scraped together but it's done!

And I WOULD have more screenshots for you but photobucket decided just this second - after they were loaded even! - to go down for maintenance. :angry:

PICS!

Overhead shots of all floors:
    1%20Overview%201_zpsomfjcfb3.jpg
    1%20Overview%202_zps5isrfbfi.jpg
    1%20Overview%203_zpsrkwfhegh.jpg
    1%20Overview%204_zpsc11s7bej.jpg
    1%20Overview%205_zpslqdmjnk4.jpg

Exterior views:
    2%20Front%20Elevation_zpsfzsnb92w.jpg
    2%20Rear%20Elevation_zpsfd3bzfhu.jpg
    2%20Side%20Elevation%201_zps8egw02ak.jpg
    2%20Side%20Elevation%202_zps8mnlyjtz.jpg

and this is where I placed the lot in Riverview
    3%20Lot%20Location_zpsxll1urup.jpg

So a few things I didn't realize until it was too late - the roof/attic does not sit how I build it, the whole thing should have been centered over the house only with a separate lower roof over the piazza along the back. So this made the attic much larger than it should have been (and by extension, the roof much taller) and the side dormers don't sit properly over the house below.

The tall roof is what messed up the coupola as well. I was able to *either* have windows, or make it the right height. Since I could never get the ladder to place, I used CFE to make it tall enough and went for the outside visual of the height since the windows would never be functional anyway. But the CFE meant the windows would all sit below the roofline entirely instead of up at the top where they should be.

I was able to put the center dormer on the backside in without much issue, I hadn't noticed that one until I was almost done with the cellar!

We already discussed that the whole house scale was a little too large, when this is all over I do want to revisit that and try to rebuild it to a closer visual scale - I can fix the roof and attic then.

I hope you like it! As said above, I'll get the whole entry together tonight but just wanted you to be able to see it all at last!
    Post edited by creativemetaphor on
  • Options
    @creativemetaphor I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a suitable word for this incredible build. Majestic, that's what popped into my head. It's just majestic!

I think you captured all the elements of Mt. Vernon, from the colors on the walls, the woodwork, the furnishings. I think you improved the attics with the kids school room and play room. All those fireplaces in the rooms, can you imagine keeping a place like that warm in winter?

My favorite room is still the kitchen, you did such a great job! I can see the cook and helpers scurrying to make meals in the big fireplace and stirring stews in the pot.

I think the roof looks fine, there is still a cupola and the dormers work.

Thank you for building it for me - well, all of us to be truthful. I hope you had fun doing it.

~For you~

I am trying to get the prison working. For some unknown reason, at least to me, when I deleted the dungeon the front door became unusable.

There was nothing beneath it, there is nothing blocking it. I deleted the walls and rebuilt it but nothing will work. My tester got in but can't get out. I don't know how to fix it. I've tried different doors and arches. The only thing that works is deleting the door and the walls leaving a gaping hole there.

I may have to make a drastic change to it. I promise to get it working soon.

• Options
    @Kgaff

I'm so glad you like it!!! Majestic, wow! I loved doing every minute of this build, I'm so glad you requested it or I might never have really gotten around to it! It prompted so many creative sparks. I love doing old world kitchens like that, the bbq from DV definitely helped make that cooking fire - which of course uses your fire tutorial underneath! And I simply *must* do that dining table somewhere again, I love the look of the seats curving around the end.

Even without any real existing room to copy, the attic and cellars definitely benefited from the other rooms having been done first, really getting the feel for how the house flowed. I'm excited at how well they turned out, can't wait for you to be able to walk through it yourself and see some of the little touches I added that didn't make it into the screenshots.

As for your prison door, one thing I found when doing hannah's build was that the 'floor' level can be all skewed without even being visible. Maybe try turning CFE false and run the level terrain tool over it and see if anything is wonky that isn't showing up?

Another idea might be to recess or extend just the entry area a couple of squares and try to get it out of the way of whatever is messing it up. Hopefully it can be sorted without any drastic measures :#
    Also, I am humbled and flattered by your very kind recommendation to a very generous gifter <3 Thank you so much
  • Options
    @creativemetaphor I did not think of extending the entry, duh! That's a good idea. Then I'll try your CFE idea and see if it helps. I certainly can't make it any worse at this point.

I'm going to make Martha and George in my game an move them in and see how they like the place ! :):)
    You are welcome!!
  • Options
    @Kgaff

I'm going to make Martha and George in my game an move them in and see how they like the place ! :):)

<3 PICS!!!
  • Options
    Nice @creativemetaphor! That was a lot of work, and a lot of fun too, right?!

George and Martha sound like fun. I'd love to see the pics too!

I think I finished the redo of the swimming hole and should get it uploaded tomorrow with pics. I've already play tested it.

Still no word from my computer guy, so I'll start redoing that modern futuristic home this weekend.

I hope you all enjoy the weekend ahead.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    @kgaff MOUNT VERNON!

There may have been some minor changes to rooms after these shots were taken, but I'll just let those be little surprises for you to find :)

Overhead views
    Roof
    1%20Overview%201_zpsomfjcfb3.jpg
    Attic
    1%20Overview%202_zps5isrfbfi.jpg
    Second Floor
    1%20Overview%203_zpsrkwfhegh.jpg
    First Floor
    1%20Overview%204_zpsc11s7bej.jpg
    Cellar
    1%20Overview%205_zpslqdmjnk4.jpg

Exterior views:
    2%20Front%20Elevation_zpsfzsnb92w.jpg
    2%20Rear%20Elevation_zpsfd3bzfhu.jpg
    2%20Side%20Elevation%201_zps8egw02ak.jpg
    2%20Side%20Elevation%202_zps8mnlyjtz.jpg

Lot placement in Riverview
    3%20Lot%20Location_zpsxll1urup.jpg

Main Floor details
    Central Passage
    CentralPassage%201_zpsnsoq407o.jpg
    CentralPassage%202_zpserbcw5zn.jpg
    CentralPassage%205_zpsoqyi6hwy.jpg
    CentralPassage%203_zpsfhnknc7u.jpg
    CentralPassage%204_zpsk7uoftbn.jpg
    Dining Room
    Dining%20Room%201_zpsd9eitizq.jpg
    Dining%20Room%202_zpsb4o5ysse.jpg
    Dining%20Room%203_zps3mbqyuwq.jpg
    Dining%20Room%204_zpsbszws9j7.jpg
    Dining%20Room%205_zpswghmfbhn.jpg
    Dining%20Room%206_zpso8w2e6o0.jpg
    Dining%20Room%207_zps88qfi70a.jpg
    Study
    Study%201_zpseiwp8pwf.jpg
    Study%202_zpshvcdjmph.jpg
    Study%203_zpsd3x9qjvk.jpg
    Study%204_zps84ddlpme.jpg
    Study%205_zps7myraoa8.jpg
    Study%206_zpsznqabtym.jpg
    Study%207_zpszphkjfze.jpg
    Study%208_zpsfj8mwmgw.jpg
    Kitchen
    KitchenPantry%201_zpsd98aj46i.jpg
    KitchenPantry%202_zpsumwumfhz.jpg
    KitchenPantry%203_zpsbrlvblsp.jpg
    KitchenPantry%204_zpsyh4gzrq3.jpg
    KitchenPantry%205_zpskjjyn3mp.jpg
    KitchenPantry%207_zpszfryb1gx.jpg
    KitchenPantry%208_zpspcdj0rld.jpg
    KitchenPantry%209_zpswd710ptq.jpg
    KitchenPantry%2011_zps0wbrhoyt.jpg
    KitchenPantry%2012_zpsfszxtty6.jpg
    KitchenPantry%2010_zpsvwbruzqc.jpg
    Powder Room
    KitchenPantry%2013_zpsmbvv2hje.jpg
    KitchenPantry%2014_zps4smtkbxy.jpg
    West Parlor
    West%20Parlor%200_zpsvqopntqx.jpg
    West%20Parlor%201_zpsrxynol8c.jpg
    West%20Parlor%206_zpsj7igiezv.jpg
    West%20Parlor%203_zpsxvfx6gg8.jpg
    West%20Parlor%205_zpskxawndte.jpg
    West%20Parlor%204_zpsybjhiwnh.jpg
    West%20Parlor%207_zpsjgd9kytw.jpg
    Small Parlor
    Small%20Parlor%201_zpsdilvvb38.jpg
    Small%20Parlor%203_zpsup0qbyin.jpg
    Small%20Parlor%204_zps0m8lqdk8.jpg
    Small%20Parlor%205_zpsfgndiupm.jpg
    Small%20Parlor%206_zpshoptl6cm.jpg
    New Room
    NewRoom%201_zps85jcr8h5.jpg
    NewRoom%202_zpsc79akdde.jpg
    NewRoom%203_zpsangebvg5.jpg
    NewRoom%204_zpsbdi8hlvc.jpg
    NewRoom%205_zpsp9rvjypk.jpg
    NewRoom%206_zpsrpv2mjkt.jpg
    NewRoom%207_zps1zdlv2tr.jpg
    NewRoom%208_zpsq2bgsuai.jpg
    NewRoom%209_zpsdgoguu86.jpg
    NewRoom%2010_zpsujbe6vfe.jpg
    NewRoom%2011_zpsiopqhzzo.jpg
    NewRoom%2012_zpsdzpzrdp1.jpg

Second Floor details
    Washington's Bedchamber
    Washington%201_zpsc1wvz8kd.jpg
    Washington%202_zps9kwadd4d.jpg
    Washington%203_zps6pc0mrxf.jpg
    Washington%204_zpsijjl6e1v.jpg
    Washington%205_zpssxqoa2sd.jpg
    Washington%206_zpsv7o8sq3e.jpg
    Washington%207_zps7izmxcl8.jpg
    Washington%208_zpsiyiawocz.jpg
    Washington%209_zpsv1ozk6cd.jpg
    Washington%2011_zpsyrbl6x7c.jpg
    Washington%2012_zpszhybfmc5.jpg
    Washington%2013_zpsb4e83u7v.jpg
    Washington%2014_zpszpytnzsu.jpg
    The Nelly Curtis bedchamber, also known as the Chintz room
    Nelly%201_zpsvx5efyzt.jpg
    Nelly%202_zpshictlrwy.jpg
    Nelly%203_zpsvuhikujt.jpg
    Nelly%204_zpsmzfor1oj.jpg
    Nelly%205_zpsa9bwom8i.jpg
    Nelly%206_zpshj5l5h5u.jpg
    Yellow Bedchamber
    Yellow%201_zps60cpdyef.jpg
    Yellow%202_zpsnehy4suh.jpg
    Yellow%203_zpst5drzs2u.jpg
    Yellow%204_zpsbglm1ecp.jpg
    Yellow%205_zpst7tbxbmn.jpg
    Yellow%206_zpsa68ytdeq.jpg
    Lafayette bedchamber
    Lafayette%201_zps1xiqo5xv.jpg
    Lafayette%202_zpsogmescm7.jpg
    Lafayette%203_zpscrnvlnua.jpg
    Lafayette%204_zpscfm2uqid.jpg
    Lafayette%205_zpsy6nzroty.jpg
    Lafayette%206_zpslj6klzyx.jpg
    Blue bedchamber
    Blue%201_zpsj4vibsui.jpg
    Blue%202_zpsw4aeunwr.jpg
    Blue%203_zpse8ujad1j.jpg
    Blue%204_zpsp2hzrquh.jpg
    Blue%205_zpshzb84woe.jpg
    Hall Bathroom
    Second%20Floor%20Bath%201_zpseusdc37k.jpg
    Second%20Floor%20Bath%202_zpso9e2am9s.jpg

Attic details
    Children's Bedroom
    Attic%20Kidsroom%201_zpshtbr6mjs.jpg
    Attic%20Kidsroom%202_zpskxta2dxx.jpg
    Attic%20Kidsroom%204_zpsxdhncch7.jpg
    Attic%20Kidsroom%205_zps5n0ka78f.jpg
    School room
    Attic%20Schoolroom%201_zps5r6gq3x3.jpg
    Attic%20Schoolroom%202_zpscschb0b0.jpg
    Attic%20Schoolroom%203_zpsk1d24cf4.jpg
    Attic%20Schoolroom%204_zpszxia4mrq.jpg
    Attic%20Schoolroom%205_zpsqblkddyl.jpg
    Play room
    Attic%20playroom%201_zpsgyojfncw.jpg
    Attic%20playroom%202_zpsd6dn1irc.jpg
    Attic%20playroom%203_zpswhhigzmy.jpg
    Attic%20playroom%204_zpsf1lpdevq.jpg
    Attic%20playroom%205_zpsgrl5idz6.jpg
    Governess's Bedroom
    Attic%20Bedroom%201_zpsduixkwx8.jpg
    Attic%20Bedroom%202_zpsbnpgbzfl.jpg
    Attic%20Bedroom%203_zpsnk69ify3.jpg
    Attic%20Bedroom%204_zpspngyvloo.jpg
    Attic%20Bedroom%205_zpsil2ziua3.jpg
    Art Room
    Sitting Room
    Attic%20Sitting%201_zpso5pyytyo.jpg
    Attic%20Sitting%202_zpsumoucbpl.jpg
    Attic%20Sitting%203_zpspwsf7xno.jpg
    Attic%20Sitting%204_zpsacmtg3ze.jpg
    Attic%20Sitting%205_zpszchkiqdo.jpg
    Attic%20Sitting%206_zpshmyd7i8x.jpg
    Attic Bath
    Attic%20Bathroom%201_zpshdek8wsa.jpg
    Attic%20Bathroom%202_zps1nemrsm8.jpg
    Stair Hall
    Attic%20hall%201_zpscreddqwi.jpg
    Attic%20hall%202_zpsn2lozhf7.jpg
    Attic%20hall%203_zpsj8fki8ed.jpg

Cellar details
    Cellar%201_zpsq1aklokq.jpg
    Cellar%202_zpssgptpwqy.jpg
    Cellar%203_zpsprin665l.jpg
    Cellar%204_zpshsch1jvy.jpg
    Cellar%205_zpskaqjnam7.jpg
    Cellar%206_zps5gxwe2oj.jpg
    Cellar%207_zpslxprmnya.jpg
    Cellar%208_zpsqlga8do3.jpg
    Cellar%209_zpsr74hdtcm.jpg
    Cellar%2010_zpste9xps6g.jpg
    Cellar%2011_zpszfo3rhtb.jpg
    Cellar%2012_zpsungkafx8.jpg
    Cellar%2013_zpsg6ikvk0v.jpg
    Cellar%2014_zps9zmfdipb.jpg
    Cellar%2015_zpsn6mpeehk.jpg

PHEW!
    Post edited by creativemetaphor on
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited April 2017
    I should really learn to playtest as I go along. *facepalm* So...I originally started this build on a 30x30 plot near the science centre in Aurora Skies, but after a few saves, it started to look like the basement was under water and I thought maybe I was building near wetlands. So I've moved the lot elsewhere and I wasn't seeing the hazing water shimmer, so I thought I was alright. I wanted to playtest something specific and what happened...my testers immediately changed into their swimsuits...

Screenshot-486_zps9z8zyjbc.jpg

It's like they're flippin zombies in the water!!! WHAT IN THE HALIBUT IS GOING ON?!

I've never encountered this before.

I'm going to having to start fiddling with this and see if I can fix it. Yikes, yikes! Ahhhhhhh!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Soooo I didn't know that different worlds had different water levels.

Apparently AS isn't ideal for basements. I'm still doing some testing and asking questions but @ADWilson we may have a little problem.

I may have to forgo the walkout basement and make it a normal one which means starting over I think. Oy vey...me and my bright ideas!
  • Options
    Oh @aricarai, I am sorry. I didn't notice you were going for a walk-out basement. We had mentioned earlier in the thread that walk-outs would not work in AS when I was building one for kgaff. Of course, you were only popping in occasionally and missed that. You don't have to start from scratch, but you'd have to undo the basement part and rethink the exterior and upper level. May you find some inspiration in doing something differently the second time around. Believe me, I know all about that!
  • Options
    aricarai wrote: »
    I should really learn to playtest as I go along. *facepalm* So...I originally started this build on a 30x30 plot near the science centre in Aurora Skies, but after a few saves, it started to look like the basement was under water and I thought maybe I was building near wetlands. So I've moved the lot elsewhere and I wasn't seeing the hazing water shimmer, so I thought I was alright. I wanted to playtest something specific and what happened...my testers immediately changed into their swimsuits...

Screenshot-486_zps9z8zyjbc.jpg

It's like they're flippin zombies in the water!!! WHAT IN THE HALIBUT IS GOING ON?!

I've never encountered this before.

I'm going to having to start fiddling with this and see if I can fix it. Yikes, yikes! Ahhhhhhh!

This happened to me once!! The water level in Aurora Skies is really high and anything built slightly below ground level becomes filled with water!!! I had a walkout level that was constantly flooded. I had to move my build to Riverview on higher ground.
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    edited April 2017
    @aricarai ~ Oh my! You could either start over and account for the differences in AS (not only did I not know this but I somehow totally missed the discussion earlier in the thread. Sorry!!!) or ... move this build to another world. I'd hate for you to have to start over.
  • Options
    ciane wrote: »
    Oh @aricarai, I am sorry. I didn't notice you were going for a walk-out basement. We had mentioned earlier in the thread that walk-outs would not work in AS when I was building one for kgaff. Of course, you were only popping in occasionally and missed that. You don't have to start from scratch, but you'd have to undo the basement part and rethink the exterior and upper level. May you find some inspiration in doing something differently the second time around. Believe me, I know all about that!

Hahaha! At least I know it's a thing now! Do you know if a normal basement using the basement tool works?
  • Options
    ADWilson wrote: »
    @aricarai ~ Oh my! You could either start over and account for the differences in AS (not only did I not know this but I somehow totally missed the discussion earlier in the thread. Sorry!!!) or ... move this build to another world. I'd hate for you to have to start over.

@ADWilson - hmmm...not sure what to do! The basement needs to stay because of the nectar making.

I was just about to start on the laboratory and science career Sims bedrooms.

If I move to another world, is there a different career that would go with a different world? I feel like I'd need to change the exterior to suit the world.

Starting over wouldn't be so bad but only if the basement tool works instead of a walk out.

What do you think? It's your build and I want it to suit what you want. I feel like the build as it is would look out of place in another world.

So options:
    1. Start over if the basement tool works
    2. Revamp the exterior for a different world
    3. Revamp exterior and choose a different career other than science
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @aricarai Oh no! Yeah I found this out the hard way, too, with earlier builds that I couldn't figure out why they kept flooding! When I built for @ciane I first built the 'hill' to put the basement in so it would still be above water level!

If you start over, instead of using the basement tool you could elevate the lot first as I did to keep it above the water level?
  • Options
    Basement tool still floods I think, but there is one way to know for sure. ;(

Creativemetaphor has another possible solution for you which means building up a hill first to place your basement in. CFE would be real challenging to try to fix what you have already... but, nothing ventured... nothing gained. See if you can raise the "basement" floor to ground level, raising the whole house evenly in one shot. Or, you know, start all over again. I'd probably opt for just moving to another world.