Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share WINNERS' CIRCLE: Find out results and discuss the entries here!

Comments

• creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @BuildnShare (also, did I miss the results for the Golden Years challenge or...?)
  • ISHTARJMDISHTARJMD Posts: 260 Member
    The Golden Years BNS#184 Intermediates

Luminey

You have a sweet color scheme here and I could very easily picture your house nestled into the woods someplace. THe architecture was simple, but the screened in porch was a lovely touch. I could imagine just chilling on that porch and relaxing while the crickets chirp and the sun sets. A few notes however:
    The landscaping seemed very after thought. Consider using flowering bushes and terrain paints if you need to save money on the landscaping. If nothing else a little touch of terrain paint here and there under the trees will avoid the flat lawn effect.
    When taking pictures, please do it from Sim eye level so we can get a good sense of proportion and avoid the fishbowl effect that came with your top down pictures. Also, don't neglect things like a sink in the kitchen. These are expected things in any house, as are decorative objects to give life and personality to a build.

Creativemetaphor

I have very little in the way of critiques to offer you. This place looks charming and cozy. The décor and furniture you chose all contributed to a feeling of having lived there for years on end. I loved seeing the pair of them sharing their retirement together. The only thing I can point out is don't forget to do the top down shots so we can see the house layout and how everything relates to each other.

Kgaff

Its a charming little build that would fit nicely in the woods or a suburban enviormnent with just a change of the siding. Inside was warm as a toasty biscuit and conveyed the sense of visiting Grandma. A few notes for you. THe use of photos in the build was brilliant. And they definitely looked like the couple with some great stories to tell the grandkids.
    The green of the window frames seemed a little jarring with the dark brown paint and white fence. Perhaps a slightly deeper hue of green would eliminate that problem.
    DONT FORGET to use your CASt system. I saw some things you left the default colors. The CASt system is one of the most valuable tools you have for décor.
    Please remember to take the top down shots so we can see the layout of the house.

And the winner is....

Creativemetaphor! Congrats!

The winner of the optional challenge is...

Creativemetaphor!
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    Congrats again @creativemetaphor!!!
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
    @ISHTARJMD :o oh my! Thank you so much!!

@FaithofKaela :blush: thank you!
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    edited February 2017
    ATTENTION EXPERT ENTRANTS FOR CHALLENGE #184 - THE GOLDEN YEARS

@mederouin
    What an incredibly cute, cosy little cottage. The exterior looks fantastic, you have made some really great use of both the terrain and terrain painting tools and I am really impressed with your landscaping, that little fishing deck is just amazing! Your layout works incredibly well and there is a real flow to the build, you’ve made some really great object choices and your placement is well thought out. Your colour palette is also wonderful and it helps the home feel really cohesive.

Suggestions: I really didn’t find anything you could have done better in this wonderful little home.

@linzlulubell
    This is a lovely little log cabin you have created for Flint and Laurel, the architecture is well done and I love those little dormer windows! Your interior is well though out, the layout flows well from room to room. Your interior colour palette works well and helps the home feel very cohesive. Those little Christmassy touches are wonderful.

Suggestions: I think the landscaping areas could have benefitted from some terrain paint. Be careful with your showcase shots, the bathroom pictures especially feel very ‘fishbowly’, try not to zoom out quite so far.

Optional Challenge: Flint and Laurel really look like they are settling into their new home.

@paneinger
    This is such a pretty little cottage! The architecture is well thought out and very well executed. Your landscaping is lovely, I would have liked to have seen the terrain minus the snow though ;) You made some really great object choices, I especially liked that area with Flint’s medals and their souvenirs from Shang Simla. I loved all the little Christmassy touches.

Suggestions: For me the patterned wallpaper in the living room and bedroom is too much, I wonder if it would have seemed a little less ‘full on’ if you had made a feature wall in each of the rooms. I would have liked to have seen an overhead view to see how the home had been laid out.

@aricarai
    What an amazing little cottage you have built for Flint and Laurel, the architecture is adorable and you have done a great job with the landscaping, you made wonderful use of the terrain painting tool. The interior is just as lovely as the outside, all the natural tones help to give the home a really cohesive feel. You made some excellent object choices and I love that you thought to include some souvenirs of their travels around the world. Your object placement is well thought out as is your layout.

Suggestions: I couldn’t come up with any suggestions to help you improve this gorgeous place.

Optional Challenge: It was lovely to see how Flint and Laurel are enjoying their new surroundings, from tea in the closed porch, to Flint fishing and pottering in his garage/workshop and Laurel out in her garden.

And the winner is....

A tie this time around, congrats to @aricarai and @mederouin

And the winner of the optional challenge is....

@aricarai
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    This was a tough build with the budget but that was all part of the fun of it! It really made a builder think hard about the build. Congrats to all the winners- I still wish I had thought to include a pizza oven for those who thought of it! LOL! I'm going to add it for my own use of course!
  • linzlulubelllinzlulubell Posts: 93 Member
    Sometimes it's hard to photograph a small space without zooming out too far.

Agreed, that's when I usually fall back on having the walls partially down to give more camera room, or do more overhead shots...
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    Oh my! I just noticed that I mixed up the pictures on the Golden Years. Oh well, I had done some casting and forgot to change out the photobucket slide show!?!?! I did however forget to take the birds eye view one :(
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    Agreed @linzlulubell - that's time to get creative ;)

Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
    edited March 2017
    ADVANCED RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #186 - ZEROD0XY

@JasonAnthonySterling
    Such a cute little build, it blends well with its surroundings. The architecture suits a starter build and you did a good job with the rooflines. Your landscaping suits the style of the build. Your interiors are well laid out and you have made some great use of buydebug for clutter. You have chosen some inspired pieces to get the style of objects to fit with the theme and you managed to get a lot into the lot for the price. Your palette works well throughout the build helping the place feel cohesive.

Suggestions: The whole lot feels very ‘flat’, I wonder if it would have felt a little more interesting with some use of the terrain sculpting tool. There seems to be quite a bit of empty space in your living/office area.

@Mederouin
    This build is just amazing! An abandoned train car, what ingenuity!! The landscaping fits the surroundings and your use of terrain sculpting and paints is awesome, it really helps add interest to the build. The plants you have used help cement that abandoned train car yard as well. You have made good use of CFE to get that roof looking just right. The interior suits the style of the build as well, nothing too clean or modern, just upcycled and cobbled together, it really does work incredibly well. The palette feels cohesive. Popping the office in the little cabin on top of the second car was a great idea.

Suggestions: Can’t see anything I would have seen you change.

@aricarai✴
    A truly inspired build, renovating an old fire station! The architecture feels incredibly authentic and it fits in really well with it’s surroundings. The landscaping, although sparse fits with the theme. The layout works well and you have made some great use of MOO, that fireplace especially. I really like the colour palette that you have running through the build, it helps it feel very cohesive. You made some great object choices to come in under budget.

Suggestions: The only thing that I would offer as a suggestion would have been to reduce the amount of artwork on the walls, it was a little overwhelming and with all the different wall treatments you used I felt it was unnecessary and made the whole place feel small.

@ISHTARJMD✴
    You have created a gorgeous traditional build for this challenge. The architecture works well and the landscaping feels just right. Your chosen layout works well and your interior palette helps give the build a cohesive feel. You have chosen some great objects that helped you bring the build in on such a low budget. There are some great examples of MOO throughout the build.

Suggestions: I wonder if you could have made some use of the terrain sculpting tool to help the exterior of the build feel a little less ‘flat’. I found that foiled wallpaper in Doxy’s bedroom and office a little overpowering, I wonder if it would have been better to use it on a feature wall to help it fell less chaotic.

And the winner is.......

@mederouin
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Congratulations @mederouin! Well done! :mrgreen:

@BuildnShare - Thank you for the feedback! May I get a bit more clarity on the wall treatments? Do you mean the colors as I only used two different types of treatments (exposed brick and the paneled one, bar the exposed brick and green screen wall in the office). :smile:
    @mederouin It was a fantastic build! Congrats!
    edited March 2017
    aricarai wrote: »

@BuildnShare - Thank you for the feedback! May I get a bit more clarity on the wall treatments? Do you mean the colors as I only used two different types of treatments (exposed brick and the paneled one, bar the exposed brick and green screen wall in the office). :smile:
    @aricarai - I don't think I made myself clear, I thought that as you used patterned (brick/panel) wall treatments that the art was over complicating things. Had you used more plain walls then it may not have looked quite so 'much'. Does that make sense?
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    aricarai wrote: »

@aricarai - I don't think I made myself clear, I thought that as you used patterned (brick/panel) wall treatments that the art was over complicating things. Had you used more plain walls then it may not have looked quite so 'much'. Does that make sense?

Definitely thank you! More subtle! :mrgreen:
    @mederouin Your build was inspired and very well done! Congratulations! @BuildnShare Thanks for the feedback. You're right, I really do have to get back in the habit of using terrain tools again- after my break on 3 I've just almost forgotten they are there. The lot did feel flat to me as well but even the house could have benefited from the terrain tools use- something I often use to do. Mederouin, congrats again!
    Congratulations to all! Those were some great builds! @mederouin I showed my father in law your train car build, he's a train enthusiast and absolutely loved it.
  • hannahc1023hannahc1023 Posts: 55 Member

Congratulations @mederouin! I really loved your build, it was so unique!
    edited March 2017
    INTERMEDIATE RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #186 - ZEROD0XY

@Creativemetaphor

The way you set this house up with future expansion in mind to develop into a truly unique build is very clever. The twitch roof is great. The fact that you were able to get such an open lay out on such a small lot is impressive. And the use of diagonals and MOO to make it work is delightfully unexpected. You've got some good object choices and they work nicely together.

However, the outside of the house seems rather bland with the unbroken white brick, while the inside doesn't seem to have a cohesive palette. In some places you have great clutter choices, in others none whatsoever. Some of the wall coverings were very nicely utilized to cover up for art restricted by budget, but in other places where the wallpaper was much more subtle, the walls looked rather bare.

@Linzlulubell

What a great build! The layout of the reused containers is very clever and provides a lot of little nooks while still feeling open. Your chosen palette is wonderful, soft and relaxing while the wood warms it up nicely. The use of the custom art is brilliant.

My only critiques are that the office color palette is a somewhat overwhelming in such a small space, and that the landscaping feels a little flat.

@HannahC

You put together a sweet little build here. The palette is gentle and soft and feminine without being overly girly. You did well on your choices of furniture and placement.

The only thing I can suggest is the blue in the bathroom is rather bright compared to the soft colors throughout. Other than that, its a great build.

@ElleDaes
    You managed to put in so much detail inside! It looks great throughout with unique palette choices and clever positioning via MOO. It looks industrial and cozy at the same time. The outside is nicely put together with the little fire pit just begging for nights with friends.

My only critiques are that the outside walls look a little chaotic without enough change in the architecture to justify changing coverings, like indented walls. I know you were going for brick walls, but the same slightly chaotic feel comes through on the inside.

You guys made this really hard.

And the winner is....

Linzlulubell!

Second place goes to...

HannahC!

Congrats!
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • hannahc1023hannahc1023 Posts: 55 Member
    @linzlulubell Your build was so creative! I really, really liked it. :)
    @linzlulubell Your build was so creative! I really, really liked it. :)

Thank you Hannah! I wouldn't want to be a judge for this one, so many great builds! Firehouses and old rail cars oh my!
    ADVANCED RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #187 - THE SECOND SISTER

@Linzlulubell
    The architecture of your build is great, loving that Florida vibe in the columns and wrap around porch. You did a great job with the landscaping the flower borders are so cute! The interiors are just amazing, that buydebug fish tank is a work of art all in itself, and it’s a great touch to be able to see through from the bath. You blended the two styles really well. Rosie’s office is lovely, great touch with the mannequins.

Suggestions: There doesn’t seem to be anywhere for Rosie and Journye to sit and spend time together, other than the bedroom. The communal areas in general feel a little underwhelming, in relation to the rest of the home, maybe some brighter pops of colour or some more clutter in those areas would have helped bring them to life.

Optional challenge: Rosie and Josie look amazing! Would have been nice to have seen more interaction around the home.

@JasonAnthonySterling
    I am struck by how much thought you have put into the layout and the backstory for this challenge, it’s great that you gave us a shot of how the build would look outside of the skyscraper, it gave me a chance to assess the architectural style that you went for. The modern look suits the build well and that little balcony area is just adorable! The interiors are well thought out, that lovely soft pink on the walls works well, and goes nicely with that deep blue you have chosen as an accent colour. Journye’s room is awesome as is Rosie’s work room/loft, great idea to make it open out to the rest of the build.

Suggestions: It may just be me, but that purple wood on the bathrooms floor feel totally out of place with the other softer tones and materials you have in them. I wonder if a simpler pattern or even just a plain floor tile would have worked better?

@mederouin

This place looks amazing, the architecture is modern without being ‘shouty’ about it, which is perfect for Journye and Rosie. The exterior wall treatments work well and the landscaping is brilliantly executed. The interior layout works well, the colour palette you have chosen threads throughout the home, accenting with the pink makes it a little, but not too girly, great job! Those custom created floor rugs are magnificent!! You seem to have blended the two styles of the clients well, some more classic elements alongside the more modern, a very fine line, but one you have trodden well.

Suggestions: There seems to be a lot of open space in the master bedroom, really think about how big your rooms are, you could have enlarged that master bathroom suite and made a real feature out of it!

@aricarai
    Greystone is a wonderful build! Such a charming country cottage. The exterior is so quaint and the wall treatments you have used work really well, the landscaping is lovely, great placement and use of terrain paints and that beautiful gazebo *sighs*. The interiors are charming, that soft pink accent colour threads beautifully through the home and works incredibly well with that brick work. It all feels very elegant and grown up, with just a hint of playfulness here and there. A great balance. The individual room areas for the girls are just divine, the ‘sound prooking’ in Journye’s is inspired! And Rosie’s work space is just wonderful.

Suggestions: I don’t think I have any!

And the winner is.....

@aricarai

Well done - an amazing build all round!

The winner of the optional challenge is.....
    @linzlulubell
    GArBA5W.jpg
    @aricarai and @linzlulubell Congratulations! Great work both!
    @aricarai Congrats! Beautiful home! @linzlulubell I loved how well you made Rosie and Journye for this! Great job!
    edited April 2017
    INTERMEDIATE RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #187 - THE SECOND SISTER

I'd like to say right off the bat, that you two should be insanely proud of your builds. You did beautiful jobs and it took me several hours to be able to make a decision. Honestly, I covet both houses so much.

@creativemetaphor

Compliments: You named your build aptly. This charming yellow Victorian is as welcoming as a spring breeze and seems perfectly suited to its surroundings. You've done so much with the budget. Your use of the terrain tools to build the basement and submerged garden is incredible. You did a wonderful job of choosing your items and palettes. The entire house is warm and inviting and feminine, without being so girly that Journye would loose her mind just being home with her wife. Journye's area was nicely furnished and decorated without being overly done. Its definitely a place where the Sisters could come over and relax without having to worry about being fussed at by Rosie. I enjoyed seeing Rosie and Journye in their home.

Critique: The dark gold wall covering with the soft natural colors of the chairs in that little nook seems a little jarring. And some of the walls seemed a little bare, but you countered that with brilliant use of clutter.

@ElleDaes

Compliments: I love the reuse of the containers and the clever way they were positioned. The dark blue suits the style of the build. Your furniture is startlingly romantic and luxurious for the modern build, but its a wonderful contrast that highlights both the architecture and the object choices. Your palettes were a beautiful blend of masculine and feminine in the same rooms. You made a beautiful use of objects, especially in the outside area. And your landscaping and use of terrain tools are very impressive. How you did so much with the budget is beyond me. You did a beautiful job of making a home that they could both be comfortable in.

Critiques: Journye's space seems a little bland on the walls, compared to the rest of the house. I would have liked to see some more room for the eat in kitchen, as the breakfast bar seems rather small, which could be problematic if the other Sisters were to stop by for breakfast during the winter.

After many hours of staring at the photos and trying to nitpick them to find a winner....

The winner is...

@creativemetaphor!!

The optional winner is...

@creativemetaphor!!

Congratulations!
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file