Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing a realistic game?

I often read about people who complain about something in the game, because it seems too unrealistic for them, this can be something like vampires, but also the quiet often strangely dressed townies the game generates. But to be honest, I simly don't understand what problem these people have. I play this game since release and I must say, there's just no way to play a purely realistic TS4 game.

The game simply wasn't made to be realistic.

In my opinion, Sims 4 was never made to be a realistic sims game, it simly isn't the same like TS3. There are random sims hugging you. There are people who make push ups at the sidewalk. There are things like cowplants that could eat you alive. Yeah okay, you can avoid the letter, but they're still there. There are many unrealistic aspects of the game, and I play the game like it is: unrealistic. If I want to play a realistic game, I start my TS3 game. Some people could disagree with me on this, but TS4 is, in my opinion, the most unrealistic in the entire series, and that's not even bad.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to bash anyone's playstyle, but it still wonders me, why many players are so obsessed with playing so realistic or try to.

So what I want to know is: Do you play realistic or do you go more with the overall style of the game, which is indeed unrealistic? And if you play a realistic game anyway, could you also point out why you chose to play like this?

I would like to see some opinions about it, and as I said, I don't want to bash the playstyle of anyone. If you like to play realistic, then I am totally fine with that. I just want to hear some reasons why, because I simply don't understand it.
Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff

Comments

• LivstmeLivstme Posts: 47 Member
    I tend to play "human" sims in all the games across the series, with the occasional other life state as I prefer that element of realism. I enjoy the other life states but I like having a more world like game so I'd rather not have a whole town of aliens unless I was playing a specific story.

I don't think the game is particularly realistic even without other life states, but I enjoy playing it so I don't mind
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Sometimes I wish I could just relax and broaden my horizons.

It intrigues me how some people play this game to tell stories. I wish I was like that. Instead I'm obsessed with managing the needs meters, completing whims for points and ensuring financial stability. I end up recreating the same kind of sim over and over when I should be creating a sim with negative traits to challenge myself. I wonder if there are more like me?
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I don't play strictly realistic but I try to play as much as I can. I don't mind sims doing push ups on a sidewalk I find it funny. I don't mind strangely dressed townies - everyone has a different taste of fashion. For me realistic means mainly no aliens, vampires and future different lifestates. I don't want them, I won't buy them (I have a plantsim though). No need to complain.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    I want my game to be as realistic as possible, although I don't mind some of the unrealistic features of the game.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited April 2017
    I agree with you, @Strappys A purely realistic sims game would become boring because you could do everything in real life too :)

What bugs exist that break immersion for you, @Jprp83 ? I also have some that are quite annoying, but none where I would say that they break immersion.

I personally like the life states very much @Livstme , because they make the game much more interesting, I think. But I know not everyone thinks the same way, @DoloresGrey But I agree with you on the point with the strangely dressed townies and the push ups. I also find it funny, but the former only as sims that walk by in the background. As soon as I want them to befriend one of my sims and play a bigger role in their lifes, I give them makeovers.

I play a household with the Grim Reaper in it, so you see I'm not so much into realism like you @AvaSims4080 :D

I like to build stuff
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »
    I often read about people who complain about something in the game, because it seems too unrealistic for them, this can be something like vampires, but also the quiet often strangely dressed townies the game generates. But to be honest, I simly don't understand what problem these people have. I play this game since release and I must say, there's just no way to play a purely realistic TS4 game.

The game simply wasn't made to be realistic.

In my opinion, Sims 4 was never made to be a realistic sims game, it simly isn't the same like TS3. There are random sims hugging you. There are people who make push ups at the sidewalk. There are things like cowplants that could eat you alive. Yeah okay, you can avoid the letter, but they're still there. There are many unrealistic aspects of the game, and I play the game like it is: unrealistic. If I want to play a realistic game, I start my TS3 game. Some people could disagree with me on this, but TS4 is, in my opinion, the most unrealistic in the entire series, and that's not even bad.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to bash anyone's playstyle, but it still wonders me, why many players are so obsessed with playing so realistic or try to.

So what I want to know is: Do you play realistic or do you go more with the overall style of the game, which is indeed unrealistic? And if you play a realistic game anyway, could you also point out why you chose to play like this?

I would like to see some opinions about it, and as I said, I don't want to bash the playstyle of anyone. If you like to play realistic, then I am totally fine with that. I just want to hear some reasons why, because I simply don't understand it.

I feel the same as you. When I want to play realistic I go back to previous versions of the game. When I do play the sims 4 I used to drive myself mad trying to play realistically. The things that stop me playing realistically is missing npcs like police, fire fighters, social workers (not just babies and children teleporting) the repo man and the burglar. Also AI behaviour like press ups constantly and when you take your sims out, everyone joins them. There is no such thing as a romantic date for two without the world and its dog joining in.

I love realistic play as a style- just not with the sims 4.
  • StrappysStrappys Posts: 22 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »

It intrigues me how some people play this game to tell stories. I wish I was like that. Instead I'm obsessed with managing the needs meters, completing whims for points and ensuring financial stability. I end up recreating the same kind of sim over and over when I should be creating a sim with negative traits to challenge myself. I wonder if there are more like me?

You just speak within my soul. I'm so like you, I just do the same stuff over and over again, giving them the same traits most of the time and I try to make them perfect in a way.. It doesn't matter what race they are, but the life style is so similar, that it just makes me sad.

I always played with solo sim, now I am experimenting and I am trying to make families and giving them little stories in my mind.. However, I hope I can make more varied sims in the future and make it enjoyable.
  • ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    edited April 2017
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »
    So what I want to know is: Do you play realistic or do you go more with the overall style of the game, which is indeed unrealistic?

I go by the style of the game because it was the whimsy of the original game that made me fell in love with it in the first place--in other words, the clown catchers, the grim reaper, tragic mimes, tragic clowns, raccoons called El Bandito and all this other weird, goofy stuff that was an integral part of gameplay. To me, the heart of the franchise will always be the whimsy, unrealism and offbeat humor of Sims 1, not what people keep trying to turn it into, and that's some ultra dry, humorless real life simulator that they seem to be using as an extension of their own lives, right down to the boring chores that they enjoy.

And besides, it's a game. I play games for fun and especially to escape the mundanity of real life. I would never play a game for the simulation of a real life because I have all the "simulation" I need in the real world when I turn off my computer and go outside.
    EiFlric.png
  • KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    It all depends on what one defines as realistic. To some people the graphics should look realistic, while others think it's the gameplay that should be realistic, or both. But what is realistic gameplay? What are realistic graphics? Whatever you think is realistic, all depends upon your prior experience. This is different for everyone, hence a truely realistic game experience seems almost impossible.

The Sims as a game is per definition not reality, it is fiction. That doesn't mean it can't be experienced as real. Since everyone's experience of the game is going to be different, it is no miracle there is so much discussion about the realism of the game. We all would like the game to reflect our own depiction of the real world.

To me, The Sims series has always been a great escape from reality. Just sitting back and enjoying the strange and funny things happening in my game. Yet, I too am guilty of trying to change things to fit my image of realism. I often change the clothes of townies. Just because I don't like them dressed up as weirdos, because in my own experience I have never encountered people being dressed like that (or maybe I have never noticed them, which is a valid possibility). I do want the women's names to change when marrying, not because I am not open to women changing their name, but because my own mother changed her name upon marriage. On the other hand, I do like to play with vampires in The Sims 4. I always liked fairy tales and fantasy stories, so these very unrealistic vampires seem to fit my experience.

As we play the game, we all draw upon our personal experience. Our experience defines our preferences, interests, fears and even our character. The Sims gives us the option to fit our world to our experience. This is actually pretty remarkable. Yes, we have to put up with some weird tings, that don't seem realistic, but we also have the choice to ignore it or to change it.

I hope this post doesn't seem too chaotic. It was difficult to put these thoughts into words, especially since English is not my native language. My point is that we all want to feel comfortable playing the game. And to most people, realism just means recognizability.
  • kokoro80kokoro80 Posts: 651 Member
    I mostly play a realistic type of game and have with all the previous iterations also. I don't find TS4 any more difficult to do this with, in fact it is easier than TS2 was. I've never had a random sim hug any of my sims and I don't find people doing push ups in public or dressing strangely that unrealistic. I'm a storyteller player and so I find enjoyment in the game through creating characters and evolving their stories, sometimes silly aspects of the game get incorporated into my story and sometimes they get ignored/avoided. Occasionally I will have a save file that is less realistic and involves aliens or cowplants or the like and it's fun to switch things up a bit. I use MCCC to keep the alien and ghost populations at bay and I did not buy the vampire pack because I was not confident my game wouldn't be overrun by them.

Why is it so important to you to understand why other people choose to play their game differently than you do anyway? I know some people like to play by torturing and killing their sims and that is something I personally would not enjoy but I don't feel the need to understand why others enjoy it. Everyone is different, the great thing about the Sims is that it caters to so many different play styles, the game really can be anything you make of it.
  • ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »

It intrigues me how some people play this game to tell stories. I wish I was like that.

You can be like that. Just try to come up with an intriguing backstory for each one of your sims, watch them interact with other sims and use those interactions to imagine a story that is playing out in your game. Or, if it's still too hard, read some sim stories as a guide or inspiration for how to create stories of your own.
    EiFlric.png
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    watch the life of kevin sims 4 on YouTube that will help @calaprfy
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Every single game of the series wasn't realistic. Sims 4 isn't the first one.
  • PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    Jprp83 wrote: »
    There's a difference between being realistic and being believable. That rule applies to movies, novels, any form of art really... And games. I have nothing against a bit of nonsense but to me there are several bugs that break the immersion, and that's where the problem is for me. I also hate how the townies dress up. Anything randomly generated feels soulless to me. I wish the game gave us more control over stuff like that. In the end everybody would be able to play the game they wanted.

This this this!

You could say my play style is realistic although I do accept that in The Sims universe there are cow plants, vampires and aliens and I'm totally fine with that. My biggest pet peeve is not about those supernatural or strange elements but about those little things the game does that break immersion for me. A few examples:

- I created a tormented "vegetarian" vampire who hated being a vampire and never fed on humans. I even gave him the appropriate traits and vampire weaknesses. But what happened as soon as I rotated to play another family? My vegetarian vampire broke into my sim's house and fed on her.
    - I created a Ms Crumplebottom, she is evil and mean and is supposed to act that way. But whenever my sims meet her she's super friendly and nice.

As you can see my problem with the game is that the game overrides my decisions as a player. It allows me to set personalities for my sims but then goes on and makes them autonomously act in ways that just don't match the personalities I gave them.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I play realistically, with a touch of magic.
    For example my simself, Mason King, is a sorcerer.
    His aspirations are:
    Love (to be loved and love in return both for romance and family)
    Graduate Highschool, go to college and study, Computer Science and graduate
    Mansion bearing, his dream house is a rustic lake house mansion.
    And Adventure, to travel the world and collect awesome artifacts. Like Pandora's Box, Posideon's Trident, the Eye of Fate, Hand of Midas, Eye of Gorgon, Genie Lamp.

He is Adventurous, a Video game Geek, and loves Soccer and Archery, and Sketch when he's bored.

To me and my sims who are supernatural, it's a part of their life style and who they are, but they are still human and have human ambitions.

And their lives aren't charmed, my sim mother has lost her love, and my simself lost his father.
    I've torn families apart, me not my simself.
    I've made bullies for my simself.
    Created multiple insecurities, especially for my simself.

Therefore my sims are real, to me.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    I totally agree that TS3 is way more realistic than TS4. I do appreciate the different take on TS4, if they were equal, it would feel meaningless moving on to a new series. Still, I do like to play TS4 realistically. I don't mind if townies have bad taste in dressing, or if someone hugs my sim. What I do dislike is more the crazy stuff forced onto my game, such as plantsims walking the streets due to an ongoing challenge. These green sims come in hoards, it's not like you even have to go looking for them, besides - they are not randomly generated NPCs, no, they are MY not played sims, that might actually be part of my game. Elements like this is a real turn off to me. I think it's fun that such challenges are given, but I don't like the way we can not escape them. EA simply decided that some of my sims will turn green for a limited period of time.

This is a huge problem when creating movies. My movies are probably even more realistic than my average game play, and I hate it when all "actors" perform perfectly, but hey - a green sim turned up in the background. Cut! Everyone please reset, we need a new take! Oh, not again! Sorry folks, one more time!
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    His aspirations are:
    And Adventure, to travel the world and collect awesome artifacts. Like Pandora's Box, Posideon's Trident, the Eye of Fate, Hand of Midas, Eye of Gorgon, Genie Lamp.

He is Adventurous, a Video game Geek, and loves Soccer and Archery, and Sketch when he's bored.

To me and my sims who are supernatural, it's a part of their life style and who they are, but they are still human and have human ambitions.

And their lives aren't charmed, my sim mother has lost her love, and my simself lost his father.

Your surname is King? Mine too :)
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Sc3niX wrote: »
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    His aspirations are:

Your surname is King? Mine too :)

I wish It was, My real name is Mason but my Last name is not King I like that last Name, Mason King is a "Alter Ego/Better Version of me" I created a long time ago.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • lasydaisy1122lasydaisy1122 Posts: 66 Member
    I love trying to make my Sims lives as realistic as possible except on occasion when I play other life states such as vampire Sims. I agree that Sims 3 was more realistic. However, we must keep in mind that Sims, Sims 2, and Sims 4 are separate games and each of them have different things to offer. I love all 4 of them! EA is still working on Sims 4 and will continue making expansion packs, stuff packs, and game packs for the Sims 4. So it is a work in process and who knows what features will be added in the future. I look forward to see what they will add and maybe it will or will not make the game more realistic. We will all have to wait and see.

Happy Simming to all!
    Michele
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I never understood it either. It's a video game nothing about it is supposed to be real.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    kokoro80 wrote: »
    Why is it so important to you to understand why other people choose to play their game differently than you do anyway? I know some people like to play by torturing and killing their sims and that is something I personally would not enjoy but I don't feel the need to understand why others enjoy it. Everyone is different, the great thing about the Sims is that it caters to so many different play styles, the game really can be anything you make of it.

The reason I want to understand it is simply because I see so many posts here on the forums where people complain or simply mention that some aspects of the game are too unrealistic for them, and I wanted to know what exactly these people think is unrealistic and why they prefer a more realistic game, it just interests me because I read it so often here.

I for example like many realistic aspects of the game, and I also miss some realistic things like cars, firefighters, police NPC etc, but I don't understand at the same time, why someone hates it when townies dress strangely or a vampire breaks in their sims home. For me, it is unrealistic as well, but it doesn't annoy me like many other players. I just laugh about it, take a screenshot of it, ignore it if it doesn't fit into my story at all, or make it a part of my planned story. But I'm never annoyed of it like others, the exception with that would be some bugs, but that's another story.

I like to build stuff
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    I play the game as true to my own moral values as I can. If you wish to call that 'realistic' sobeit. (And, yes, that's a word.) But, I really love the aliens and the possibility of abductions, too. I play to relax and have some fun. Life can be hard, it can be a downer sometimes, and when I need a laugh or two or three, I'll play my game. When lucky, the game serves up a laugh based on the absurd.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • kokoro80kokoro80 Posts: 651 Member
    I think the posts you are referring to are less about those events not being realistic enough and more about them not being player controlled. I did not buy the vampire GP despite wanting to enjoy playing with vampires in some of my saves because there is no option to avoid vampires in saves that I don't want them to be part of my story. While you find some bugs immersion breaking, I find vampires randomly breaking in to bite my sims in their home immersion breaking. There is no understanding why different people are annoyed by certain things in their game and other people are not, it is just a matter of preference.