Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• linzlulubelllinzlulubell Posts: 93 Member
    @mederouin I love your dining table!
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited March 2017
    @BuildnShare - I just want to check the deadline time as it always confuses me because I'm a dolt. If I'm in the UK, Friday, 31st March Midnight CST is Saturday, 1st April 6am BST...no foolin'?
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    @BuildnShare - I just want to check the deadline time as it always confuses me because I'm a dolt. If I'm in the UK, Friday, 31st March Midnight CST is Saturday, 1st April 6am BST...no foolin'?

Correct, you would be 6 hours ahead and therefore by your perspective would have 6 extra hours.

Correct, you would be 6 hours ahead and therefore by your perspective would have 6 extra hours.

Oh how I love procrastination. I'll be coming down to the wire on this one :mrgreen:
    @aricarai :lol:

I hope a few more 'intermediates' enter as well, I'm feeling a tad lonely in that category :mrgreen:
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    Yep, you've got it @aricarai. The one time it's an advantage not to live in the States ;)

GArBA5W.jpg
  • hannahc1023hannahc1023 Posts: 55 Member
    I hope a few more 'intermediates' enter as well, I'm feeling a tad lonely in that category :mrgreen:

If I can somehow manage to finish, I'll join ya! :smiley:
    edited April 2017
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #187: The Second Sister - Journye

NAME: aricarai

LINK TO LOT: N/A

Screenshot-300_zpsd8tl1nlb.jpg

Screenshot-239_zpslz7bwb6s.jpg

LINK TO MEDIA: The Greystone | Password: Greystone

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A

LEVEL: Advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20x30, Placed lot in Moonlight Falls, §44,994

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS:

Thought Process:

I wanted to build a house for Rosie (and Journye) that felt very romantic and feminine. Before I started building, I knew I wanted to use ivy, so I decided to combine the old (brickwork/ivy) with modern pops of color to make a home that would suit both Rosie and Journye; girly and edgy, calming and relaxing.

Walking into The Greystone, there is a modern front room with a fireplace and entertainment centre as the focal point. While modern in style, touches of femininity show in the soft colors on the walls and furnishings. Toward the back of the house is the cozy gourmet kitchen. I leaned more toward the old style here, but used soft colors to reflect Rosie's wants.

Completing the first level is the guest bedroom and bathroom.

Down in the basement is Journye's escape area complete with a soundproofed music room and workout equipment. I went with exposed brick and darker colors down here, so that Journye gets a break from all the "girly" stuff on the first two levels. From Journye's space, there is a private patio with different ball games and different seating. From here, Journye can enjoy her love of the outdoors and reach the backyard and garden area which is secure from the prying eyes of her fans.

Upstairs is the master bedroom and bathroom and Rosie's work space, which includes access to another deck. I designed Rosie's work space with the thought that a fashion designer works with many different textures and patterns. The walls show different "fabric swatches" and the mannequins throughout the room sport different textures and patterns too. There are two spaces for Rosie to sketch her designs and if needs be, there is a space (white background and flooring) for photoshoots to take place.

Outside, there is a gazebo with a firepit and the multi-levelled garden is plentiful with flowers. On the exterior you will also see the chimney breast; however, there are no fireplaces in those spaces. I kept it there as a lot of older homes even when updated to modern standards, leave the chimneys alone even if there aren't any fireplaces.

I hope you enjoy!

Description & Details:

- 2 bedrooms
    - 2 bathrooms
    - Fashion Studio
    - Music Studio
    - Work out area
    - Sport equipment
    - Small quaint garden
    - Fenced backyard
    - Security System

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: TSR - roof trim
    15 hours and I don't know how many cups of coffee later, I made the deadline.

I think I'm getting old, I can't do Sim marathons like I used to :lol:

I loved this challenge as it gave me a good excuse to use some ivy which I find really romantic and feminine for some reason. :mrgreen:
  • ElleDaesElleDaes Posts: 72 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    Challenge #187 – The Second Sister – Journye
    NAME: ElleDaes
    LINK TO LOT: n/a
    LINK TO MEDIA: https://www.facebook.com/pg/ElleDaes/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1866224893617784
    OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: n/a
    LEVEL: Intermediate
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 74 Landgraab Avenue, Sunset Valley, 45,000.
    LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS:
    30x40 Lot in Sunset Valley. This Container Home features 2+ Beds and 2 Full Baths. Contemporary design on the outside, warm elegance on the inside, with a get away room for Journye complete with open gym, seating for all the sisters and a high def television. There’s a 2-car carport, fully fenced mature yard with brick flower beds, a meditation corner, spring and frog pond ready for the outdoors type. An open courtyard deck features formal dining, and an extension deck holds both a bricked barbecue and a more intimate relaxation corner, complete with wine. Step through the front doors to the entry way. To the right is the galley kitchen with eat in dining. To the left are the stairs to the second floor and a formal living room. Beyond which is the guest bedroom and Journye’s space. Upstairs is a semi-working sitting area. Head through the landing door into the open master suite with a large closet just waiting for Rosie’s clothes. A large bath with soaker tub and shower occupy the opposite end. Head out the door on the landing and across the small bridge to Rosie’s work shop. It is a complete fashion design studio: seating and runway for go-see’s, sewing machine, fabric stand, crafting table, portfolio and tablet, a rack for completed garments, a dress form and fitting stand. If for any reason the studio in town is not convenient, this is the place for a designer to be. Don’t miss the CCTV security camera. Private, secure, home.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Sure.
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED:
    ShinoKCR
    Lulu265
    Spacesims
    Marcorse
    Angela
    Cyclonesue
  • ElleDaesElleDaes Posts: 72 Member
    I think, in the end, I put in too much white. But what can you do? Out of time.
    Challenge #187 - The Second Sister – Journye is now officially closed
    GArBA5W.jpg
    Challenge #189 - New Beginnigns

Rose is at her desk, you are sure of it, it’s where she was just seconds ago when you pushed the intercom, but you are sure you hear an incredibly soft knock at your office door. It was so quiet that you think you must have imagined it, when you hear it again. “Come in.” You say.

The door opens and a young woman enters your office. She is petite, with russet red hair, green eyes and you can’t help but be reminded of elves as you look at her.

“I am so sorry to bother you, but I thought, as I was here anyway.”

“Are you lost?” You ask. Having never seen her before, you wonder how she got past the eagle eyed Rose.

“Ummm, no, but I was passing and I was wondering. I am new to the area, I have a little saved up…”

She clams up and her cheeks redden slightly.

“You were wondering if I have a space in my calendar to design and build you a home?” You ask, smiling. You like this woman, she seems to radiate a certain tranquillity.

She smiles and nods.

“I’ll have to check with Rose, but I think I may just have a free spot for you. What was your name?”

“It’s Fern.”

Pressing your intercom again, Rose’s voice asks if she can help you?

“I have Fern with me in here.”

“You need a Fern, in your office?” She asks bemused.

Chuckling, you gesture to Fern to speak.

“My name is Fern Arìaith, you looked so engrossed when I came in…”

“Wait, what? You got past me into the office? Without me noticing?”

“Well, I wanted to see…”

Cutting Fern off, before she finishes.

“Fern wishes us to build her a home Rose.”

“Ah, OK, you want me to check the diary?” She asks

“Please.”

You hear tapping and clicking as Rose works her magic on your less than perfect computer system.

“Blasted thing.” You hear her mutter beneath her breath.

“Ah, OK, yes, we can fit her in at the beginning of next year?”

“Rose, we can’t have poor Fern sleeping rough on the streets for the next couple of months, are you sure you can’t find a space to squeeze her in next?” You ask, knowing that asking Rose to do the impossible is the best way to get her to do anything!

“Well, if I call our next client and ask them to postpone their next project, I guess we could…” She is mainly talking to herself at this point and you can hear her cogs turning as she thinks. “I just need to think of a suitable reason.”

You cough and sneeze loudly in the direction of the intercom.

“What’s that, you’re coming down with a cold?! Well, you couldn’t possibly take any new clients for at least a fortnight.” You can tell that she is smiling as the intercom clicks off.

“Well Fern, what would you like us to build?”

Brief:

A 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom starter home
    Budget $16,500 including the lot
    Lot has to be within Sunset Valley
    Natural materials
    Has to feel light and airy

Sim Challenge:
    Create Fern Arìaith, she loves the outdoors and good, her third trait and her Lifetime Wish are up to you!

Deadline: Sunday, April 30th, 2017, Midnight EST
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Yay, little starters... my favorite! I'm going to love seeing everyone's homes. :mrgreen:
    edited April 2017
    Aww I like this challenge but starters...eeek! :mrgreen:

@BuildnShare- just a note about my last entry: I built it at 1120 Merchant Way in Moonlight Falls which is a 30x25 plot. I didn't want to edit my entry in case you thought there was some tomfoolery going on :blush:

I was so tired when I finally got my entry done that I didn't realise what lot I was on and also the fact that the house isn't even grey. I was going cross eyed while taking pictures. Lesson learned, don't wait until the last minute...procrastination only makes you cross eyed! :lol:
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    I love starters! This will be a fun challenge- there's a lot of leeway :) but not a lot of money :( LOL
    edited April 2017
    @BuildnShare I just want you to know that this particular story you presented was so inspiring
    that I finished it yesterday.

In the remaining 28 days I'll probably build it a few more times just to see if I can make any improvements here or there, but this was really such a delightful and - as I said - inspiring challenge.
    Thank you! <3
    @aricarai Catching up on the last few entries - I love your generous use of ivy! Your white screen in Rosie's work room is genius!

@ElleDaes I can't access Facebook from work to comment on specific aspects of your build, but I did look through your pictures earlier and you have a lovely build as well!
    @BuildnShare I just want you to know that this particular story you presented was so inspiring
    that I finished it yesterday.

In the remaining 28 days I'll probably build it a few more times just to see if I can make any improvements here or there, but this was really such a delightful and - as I said - inspiring challenge.
    Thank you! <3

Ooh do share, do share!
    @aricarai Catching up on the last few entries - I love your generous use of ivy! Your white screen in Rosie's work room is genius!

@ElleDaes I can't access Facebook from work to comment on specific aspects of your build, but I did look through your pictures earlier and you have a lovely build as well!

@creativemetaphor - thank you ❤
    edited April 2017
    @aricarai
    Ooh do share, do share!

For now I'll just say that I made a 1000% improvement in starter house design over the last one :lol:
    I think it's because I really was just so inspired by this one. I had to go to town on Saturday and mulled the design over in my head on the road, then got home and built it Sunday morning straight up - no pre-drafting it out. I think that partly helped it feel a bit more organic, also.

I think I'm also really starting to get a handle on the aspect of assigning a function to an item that may not inherently have it. Like 'sound proof room' or 'sound dampening tiles' or something. Going at it more with the idea of what I *want* it to be, whether the game agrees or not :mrgreen:

I'll share it soon, just want to poke at it a little bit just to make sure there aren't any little changes I want to make (like this last one where after I stared at the pictures for a week I decided I needed to move one wall. LOL)
    How's everyone coming along? I'm actually nearly done I think but I also have the voice of doubt saying add more, change this, add more, change this. lol. I'm nearly out of money but could probably force more funds free through creative CASting but I'm just not sure it needs it. Is simpler bad? LOL! I always feel like it needs a little more complexity- or clutter which may be the same thing.
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I built a tree house, which laid out okay, but looked off. Then I built a manageable starter with a frieze section and ended up deleting that section for the extra money. I have a build that works and looks okay, but it doesn't pop and landscaping had no left over funds. I used every simolean! I'm letting it sit to revisit and try to give it some pizazz later OR simply start fresh again.
    @ciane Landscaping worries me a little on this one too but where it's placed I think what I have actually does work from a RL prospective. I may just call it good and post tonight or tomorrow but I always step back, wait and then decide that it's done.
    ciane wrote: »
    I built a tree house, which laid out okay, but looked off.

So did I! :lol: Well, so much for being unique.

Though I did poke at it last night and I am going to make a few more tweaks from my initial design, but will definitely remain a tree house. Letting it sit for almost a week and a half before coming back to it definitely helped me to refine what I wanted it to be, really get that essence to shine through (I hope!)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top