Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Biggest Sims 4 Mistake So Far?

The Sims 4 has received a lot of backlash, and it seems like lots of players are unhappy with the game.

So, my question is, what has been the biggest mistake TS4 team has made so far?

Comments

• plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    edited March 2017
    Allowing kids to continually fix their games is another big mistake.

I really don't like it when some 10 year old fixes something for them. There was some transparency glitch or something in TS3 that a modder had to handle for them - it might have been when they made the skylights or something. Too much stuff being fixed by kids is outright embarrassing.
    EDIT: It might have been the greenhouse - or both the greenhouse and the skylights. Plus kids have had to run fixes on Premium content before (especially the toddler stuff).
    In fairness though, TS4 is WAY, WAY, WAY better now that we have more content and stuff to do.

I look forward to lots and lots and lots of more stuff.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Nah, the thing with the modders that need to fix all the stuff EA doesn't isn't just a TS4 problem @plopppo2 , it was the same in TS3. Much worse in my opinion, because the TS3 games of many people wouldn't run without some mods, mine is no exception with this. However, I have an almost vanilla TS4 game and everything runs fine (but i know that many players have problems anyway).

However, I agree with the others that say that the absence of toddlers for two years was the biggest mistake with TS4. They were a really important life stage for many players, I wouldn't say this about me, but many people missed them. Of course, they were added in January, but they should have been in the base game since day 1, the same with things that were also later added like ghosts, pools, dishwashers etc.

And I think exactly this is the problem that many people have with this game. There were and still are many things missing that were in the base game of earlier iderations of the game. I don't only talk about toddlers, but other easy things like firefighters, burglars and other NPCs that were, when you just take a short look at it, not so conspicuous , but are a big feature to make the game more realistic. The same for cars. I know the worlds we have aren't supposed to have cars in it, but cars were always there and the game feels less realistic without them.

Long text short: The biggest mistake they made with TS4 is the absence of easy things that didn't make it into the basegame (because of whatever reasons).

Also, please don't mind if I made some mistakes, english is not my first language :)
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »
    Nah, the thing with the modders that need to fix all the stuff EA doesn't isn't just a TS4 problem @plopppo2 , it was the same in TS3. Much worse in my opinion, because the TS3 games of many people wouldn't run without some mods, mine is no exception with this.
    That's pretty much what I said (with some TS3 examples).
    :p

• CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    I think lack of toddlers were one mistake.

Other big mistakes I think are the fact the series has went backwards in terms of no open world and not being able to re colour everything. I don't mind it as my favourite is the sims 2 but for some it's a deal breaker.

I think the biggest mistake personally is the AI system and emotion system isn't as sharp as it could/should be. Think no reaction to death, no real caring about cheating. The lack of depth and consequence is my biggest bug bear.

The bold stuff. And also the lack of realism and personality system, I always preferred the way the Sims 2 handled all of this.
    I find the AI to be excellent though. There are problems but they're essentially neglected areas in tuning. The system itself is good but needs very different settings to show its true potential. Careful modding can fix most issues with the AI. That said, I hope that Maxis will eventually decide to patch rather than wait for modders to fix it all.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    aiex wrote: »
    The Sims 4 has received a lot of backlash, and it seems like lots of players are unhappy with the game.

These are all related to one another and gameplay. Traits don't matter as much as other games, emotions are not that consequential, and a lack of real consequences. Such as Sims should remember who they hate, as in older games just as a teeny example. All three of the things I mentioned are important to how someone views if the game is fun or not. Happy, happy and no memory at all for the Sim isn't much of a challenge. Nor does it endear a Sim to a player. (People were vested in their Sims) Without consequences of life and death decisions it's hardly that endearing.

^ This is the kind of things in bad tuning that can be fixed (traits and emotions and their consequences). As for remembering enemies, from what I know, it should rather be fixed with scripting. But nothing that can't be fixed, so the system itself is good... The current issue is more about what's been done with it.
    Candyd wrote: »

These are all related to one another and gameplay. Traits don't matter as much as other games, emotions are not that consequential, and a lack of real consequences. Such as Sims should remember who they hate, as in older games just as a teeny example. All three of the things I mentioned are important to how someone views if the game is fun or not. Happy, happy and no memory at all for the Sim isn't much of a challenge. Nor does it endear a Sim to a player. (People were vested in their Sims) Without consequences of life and death decisions it's hardly that endearing.

^ This is the kind of things in bad tuning that can be fixed (traits and emotions and their consequences). As for remembering enemies, from what I know, it should rather be fixed with scripting. But nothing that can't be fixed, so the system itself is good... The current issue is more about what's been done with it.

It's obvious they aren't interested in making this game more like the older games. How many emotional auras objects do Sims need? It seems to be the focus for the most part. Every object almost has an aura and it just keeps repeating itself. That's all by design. I mean the kid's game every card had an emotional effect, we already have over kill on emotional objects. I didn't see the need for more.

I agree about auras. It's certainly one of the biggest mistakes ever made. As well as other ways to force emotions, I find it's made sims behave like robots that can be programmed instead of people with feelings. I suppose what can be blamed is the trend about management games on Facebook such as Farmville and similar 🐸🐸🐸🐸. :(
  • OpalMoonOpalMoon Posts: 35 Member
    I remember when Sims 4 first came out, a lot of simmers were unhappy due to what they felt lacked in the base game. Having no toddlers was definitely an issue with most. Some felt they didn't get what they had in the base game of Sims 3, and thought it unfair. In Sims 4, another problem was that we couldn't move quite as freely as we did in Sims 3 (and may still be an issue with many simmers today). In Sims 3, we had an open world and could go to places (like next door) without having to go through a loading screen. Travelling between worlds without having to move your sims is something they added in Sims 4 (I really appreciate and enjoy that a lot.), so there's some freedom there. Many simmers feel there's lack of transportation, such as vehicles for our sims to move about in.

Sims 4 is continuously improving, however. For example, we now have some forms of travel, instead of just walking. We can run at greater speed, zeneport, teleport as a mist, even fly as a bat. We can go somewhere in an area much faster. We have toddlers now. We have more options in gameplay, and there will be more in futures to come. It may take a while, but a lot of work goes into making a single game.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2017
    I agree - the toddlers being missing from the beginning. The family structure should have been firmly in place in a game about life first - before all else. They should have expanded the family aspect for each stage in the base game and then went on from there. If all family members had been given the thorough kind of treatment we are seeing in the toddlers in the base game - this game would have been amazing from day 1.

Also the map system should have also been used in this game just as it was used in the previous so travel items and creativity for Simmers were not nerfed. Creativity for the Sims is just as important to many simmers as playing the game. So choosing not to have a true map system with usable roads in the sims 4 was a real bad idea.

The third most important lack is leaving so much to our imagination and spurring it on with backdrops, 2d, and the imagination. We might as well have tinker toys and drawing pads - this is not kindergarten - it is the Sims.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    Kind of tough to choose one thing as the biggest mistake. There's lack of open world, or at least a semi-open world, no CASt, no cars, the inability to own multiple properties, not many careers to choose from, no small jobs for adults, and the lack of branch options from the careers available. The Sims reactions to events and occurrences could use a bit of work too. I could go on, but basically I feel TS4 took away more than it gave, so the biggest mistake is regression.
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member

Leaving toddlers out from the base game was probably the biggest mistake and close behind is leaving out creative and customisation tools (CASt, CAW, and a functioning Open World/hood of some sort).
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    OpalMoon wrote: »

Sims 4 is continuously improving, however. For example, we now have some forms of travel, instead of just walking. We can run at greater speed, zeneport, teleport as a mist, even fly as a bat. We can go somewhere in an area much faster. We have toddlers now. We have more options in gameplay, and there will be more in futures to come. It may take a while, but a lot of work goes into making a single game.

Erm how? The only "transport" we have for non vampires is teleporting from A to B. You can't even direct your sims to "skip here" "run here" "jog here" on the lot.

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I think the biggest mistake is that the gameplay is just bad, specially the challenges: aspirations, whims, jobs, event goals, relationships are all lacking. Random challenges such as burglars are missing.

These too.
  • OpalMoonOpalMoon Posts: 35 Member
    @MidnightAura It's possible they'll change that in a later patch.