Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Beauty Standards

I had recently opened my first save which I had not touched since March 2016 & had a good laugh & cringe at how I had made my sims back then. The sims I make now in comparison to then, the changes surprised me so much, the leap in between is actually huge.

Back then I mainly made tan, dirty blonde sims. Something along the lines of Miami beach babes. My ideal sims now are more diverse & ethereal especially since I have grown so fond of Alien hybrids & fallen in love with my Vampires. I rarely played with occult sims in past iterations. I would create them but never played them but now I rarely play with normal sims :lol:

I also noticed that I use big bambi eyes with deep eyelids a lot & I always use the same type of pointy ears. In the past I always had small ears & thought big eyes were gross. I'm starting to make sims with dreads which I used to find so unappealing in the past. I seem to be making my sims more darker as time goes on & I'm playing with tattoos & body piercings more. I cannot wait for more occult states as I want even more diverse hybrids.

What are your cas preferences & has it changed much from past iterations?
tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif

Comments

• MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 5,850 Member
    I'm just happy if they don't look the same!
    I want them to be like grains of sand in my game of simulated life. :p
  • leahbeeleahbee Posts: 50 Member
    I was very similar to you, @Savage_Patch_Kidd. A lot of my sims were fairly tanned with blonde hair however I have noticed how my sims now are either Asian descent or African, etc. I'm also playing around with different types of clothes and styles of hairy including the colours. Funny how your mind changes once you grow up and see more.
  • simlish1simlish1 Posts: 2,738 Member
    I looked back on my sims I made in the CAS demo. And I was cringing too! Sims with BIG eyes. Mostly brown/black hair and pretty much all women. Most of them hideous but at the time I thought they were lovely. They all had pretty simple clothes too.

Fast forward to now, I'm using dreads, bright clothes, different skins and lots of tattoos. They all still have big eyes but not as big as they were.
    Origin ID - eliselove1
    Four Seasons Properties

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    We need more occults in this game and I wish normal sims could have point ears without the use of mods. :( Would love to see any screenshots you might have.
    I've always liked big "anime eyes". When I used to draw, I drew people with big eyes. That hasn't changed. :p But I'm trying to make sims with more natural makeup instead of bold red lips and dark eyeshadow. I also find a mix of full-figured + curvy type to be way more attractive. I use a weight mod in Sims 4 to prevent the game from messing up their body shapes. The games idea of skinny/healthy is too skinny for my liking.
    31980039830_42545091c3_o.png
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited February 2017
    @Simasaurus09 They're both Gorgeous! I prefer curvy builds as well, a far cry from the waif like beings I used to make in the past. I'm trying to replicate Venus in one of my saves.

Oh! Here is one of my hybrids. I'm trying out for one with more melanin atm. (Apologies I know I have posted this in multiple threads but I'm just so fond of him) I recently read a post which explains how to get a vampire/alien hybrid but it looked risky & requires a mod to do so :persevere:

tat.png
  • honeyboomhoneyboom Posts: 243 Member
    my sims always look super unique... though usually they're all super goth or not what society deems "normal".
    "every star may be a sun to someone"-carl sagan
  • honeyboomhoneyboom Posts: 243 Member
    my sims always look super unique... though usually they're all super goth or not what society deems "normal".
    "every star may be a sun to someone"-carl sagan
  • Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited February 2017
    @honeyboom What I love about this game is that the fine line of normalcy almost doesn't exist :sunglasses:

It's pretty much whatever you deem it to be :relaxed:
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member

Pasty pale, loads of eyeliner, lots of black clothing, black hair, blue, green or purple eyes.

Nothing has changed. My sims are almost always goth/punk looking, and/or are vampires.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • PenguinNaviPenguinNavi Posts: 14 New Member
    @Savage_Patch_Kidd You can create alien / vampire hybrids with cheats.
    Use these cheats "traits.equip_trait trait_OccultVampire" and "traits.equip_trait trait_OccultAlien", without quotation marks.
  • AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    my male sims are pretty diverse. however my female sims tend to look the same because I base them off of myself
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • AnvilshippingAnvilshipping Posts: 240 Member
    Originally they were basic and base game-y on Sims 2. Then I switched over on Sims 3 once it was complete, and could finally play Anvilshipping, which soon became my OTP and basically the only thing I ever did. Although my mind was a mess then and not mature enough, so everything I did was a bit cringey. Now that I'm mature enough, I can play Anvilshipping as it should be!

And for CAS Sims, I don't have many of them, because I <3 the Premades too much. Since I'm a bit of a geek\weeb\Pokéfan (Cycl0n3 Sw0rd and Harry Marks are two of my spirit animals...) I tend to have colorful hair\eyes and Japanesized names and stuff like that. If I did'nt already worship Anvilshipping, I'd worship the Helix Fossil.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I have more diversity in Sims 4 because of the flexibility of CAS and the more diverse plotlines in something like CL. I do remember having a bit of diversity in previous versions but I have a lot more now. I do have some blonds in the game as part of that. For example, in one of my rotational households, there is a blonde, modelesque Russian foreign exchange student teen who is really into science and literature. She's serious but gorgeous and will probably end up with someone like Gunther Munch though I don't know yet.

I edit my townies as well which has led to me liking them a lot more. One of my street entertainers is Central Asian and I used a Tajik name generator to pick her name. (Yes, there is a site for picking out fictional Tajik names). I'm enjoying having more variety in the game. I also have a variety of body types and personalities. It is also fun coming up with varied back stories for all of them.

I remember that most of my old families were English and had very Anglo-Saxon names like James and Lucy Sandsley. Now, I have a mix of people from different backgrounds including some Europeans and a lot of others.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,934 Member
    edited February 2017
    During the era of Sims 2 almost all my Sims would look rather unique and have very diverse outfits, of course all versions of myself being formal with black hair. However since the Sims 3 I found a trend of all of self-sims either being slightly different such as lighter hair that I had as a child or being in a slightly different colored suit. Guess I'm not too good when it comes to myself.

All my other females do fit VERY different themes and outfit styles though most I play that aren't premades I encounter are: Shang-Sim La (Sim China) Japanese or quite late Victorian Britain in terms of general face and skin. Outfits are wild cards such as the fact I use Touhou characters mostly now.

Males are odd one to discuss, probably because I rarely make them and instead insist on recycling. That and for naming. Culture tend to be British or American. They often fit different outfits, some casual, one mulleted and almost always shirtless... And dare I forget the one who runs around always dressed in bright green camouflage because of how it was an on running joke. In terms of their face they often get tough looking faces than they used too. Some gaining beards...
    No really, I mean it when I say getting tougher
    2009-2017
    EZSzTnc.jpg

And here is the great grand 2010-2017 that appears in 9/10 households
    Xuvk22i.jpg

Trait wise, where can I start? Most versions of me used to be very cruel on myself, one point having loser and coward. Overtime (2014 onward) I felt like I've been too harsh and toned it down so the worst it can get is unlucky or neurotic. Now a days it feels like its' more of a representation of when I built confidence and hardened myself.
    Other sims trait wise are brave, genius or computer whiz for ones who I play in my household, one random negative unless based off another character in which they have fitting traits to their counterpart.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • simmisammisimmisammi Posts: 63 Member
    I try to make my sims look different, but somehow they always come out similar. I feel like I'm getting better, but I'm not where i want to be. When I first started I was making my female and male sims unrealistic. I mean, some people can look that way but most of the average Americans that I see around don't always look like that. I made them extremely skinny and curvy, really muscular for the guys. I'm now moving away from that more, trying to create more realistic bodies. The faces are always similar, but I'm trying to change that up a bit too. As for hair, I'm still stuck on dark brown, I love or blue. I am trying to work with skin tones though! It seems to me it is easier to create very pale and dark haired sims, but I would like to add a lot more diversity so I'm getting better!! I feel like everyday with practice I improve a little more!!
  • DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    My sims are pretty diverse, though I enjoy making hardcore female characters ALOT for some reason! xD Recently I've started to play with both male and female Sims, as well as more mellowed down and normal sims.

However, my Sims are usually occult, totally over powered hybrids with pale skin and brightly coloured hair, and a really insane storyline that sounds like it came straight out of a bad fanfiction. I wouldn't say that they were emo or scene (though I've definitely done that by accident before) but they definitely usually er on the side of being darker i.e. into metal music and wearing darker hues of clothing. They usually have really cheerful personalities though, and are generally skilled in whatever I feel like at the time.

If I'm not making a dark occult sim, they're usually a hipster-artist! xD My 120 year old vampire sim has even turned hipster-artist recently and opened her own Art shop! xD
  • TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited February 2017
    Here's what I would consider my favorite female Sim. I guess more people would describe her as cute, rather than beautiful using conventional standards.
    iRBx1DY.png

This is the male Sim I spent the most time designing. I have a shakier grasp on what features would be considered attractive on men, but I think he looks alright.
    sFuDgsJ.png

I do try to make diverse Sims, but invariably they all end up having some East Asian features (my race might have something to do with it, crazy yes). Generally I go for realism, although I like to make the eyes relatively larger than normal since I think Sims look more expressive that way.
    Post edited by TheDismalSimmer on
    dgvibNQ.png
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I hardly ever create sims these days. My founder of my legacy I thought was cute back in the day but now I look at her and I'm like, "eh, could've done better".
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • RiverBlossomRiverBlossom Posts: 255 Member

When I first started playing, I would change the skin color, hair color, and clothing. I didn't know I could alter their faces, so they looked like whatever random Sim appeared in CAS. Then I saw the numbered tabs, and I began creating Sims that all had one thing in common - their looks. Big eyes, thick lashes, curvy lips. But all these Sims had ugly babies. In 2015 or so, I began to wonder if it was because I would change the earliest Sims' faces, raising them to create a smaller forehead. When I stopped altering the faces, they had normal-looking kids. So now, all you can find me doing is thinning their brows, decreasing the width of their mouths, and changing their hair, eyes and clothes. But I don't stick to a certain look anymore; I make all kinds. White, tan, black, fit, fat, red hair, black hair, blond - it doesn't matter. All I care about now is making a huge family tree, with both Sims...and pets. (But I do have a thing for red hair.)
    Be safe.