Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does Playing Basketball?

increase body skills? Will there be an option to not pick body skill for a particular Sim incase we don't want them to level up?
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    It increases fitness, yes. Like with any fitness activity in the game, if you want your Sim to not level up, you can cheat the skill back down.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It increases fitness, yes. Like with any fitness activity in the game, if you want your Sim to not level up, you can cheat the skill back down.

O.K. I was just hoping they didn't all start looking buff and muscular.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Le0HeartLe0Heart Posts: 154 Member
    Wouldn't you think Basketball be it's own skill?
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Depends on if they coded it more like jogging or more like weights. But you can quickly slide buffness down in cas.fulleditmode.
    Le0Heart wrote: »

I suppose it could have been, but they went for a lower range of animation instead. Maybe Sims with high fitness will be better at it? Lots of things in the game don't have separate skills that could have separate skills. There isn't a separate skill for different kinds of writing (which would be realistic), or for cardio vs. strength activities, or a specific chess skill.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • PaulGRPaulGR Posts: 31 Member
    I am wondering the same thing and this is why I am avoiding basketball. Will playing basketball make my sims freakin' bodybuilders, or be treated as "treadmill" and just make them fit?

It should definitely be the latter - so be under the "cardio" tab, not "strength".

Did you guys find if it builds muscle after all?
  • Simberella777Simberella777 Posts: 480 Member
    All the Sims I have played that use the basketball increase their fitness level but do not gain 'muscle' from it (including Paolo Rocca who has the 'active' trait) so I would class it as 'cardio', like the treadmill.
    All the Sims I have played that use the basketball increase their fitness level but do not gain 'muscle' from it (including Paolo Rocca who has the 'active' trait) so I would class it as 'cardio', like the treadmill.

I know it increases fitness but I was worried it will actually build muscle instead of keeping you fit.
    Will start using it myself I guess!
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    Contrary to what the previous posts say, I'm afraid that the code says the exact contrary. Sims build muscle and don't lose weight with basketball. And yes, they'll build a lot of muscle.
    That's if you don't mod your game, of course...
    edited March 2017
    @Candyd Are you sure that even though the code may say that, that it actually happens? Like others, my game is bugged by the basketball, and Sims are drawn to it. But I have yet to see 'anyone' develop muscles from it, no matter how much they use it. Could it be, perhaps when they fix that bug, that it might do so, but now it doesn't? I don't know and can't pretend to know what the code is supposed to do. I just know my Sims use it a lot, but it doesn't add muscle, not even to my active Sims who normally overuse it more than others.

Edit to Add: No, they don't lose weight, but they don't gain muscle either. I don't use cc or mods.
  • DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    I prefer my Sim to only play basketball in the nude as he raises his fitness skill
    Really weird.

I suppose I will try basketball-only training and see how it goes. And I will use a cheat to return my body-type to normal in case it somehow turns my female Sim into John Cena...
  • Samsonguy9000Samsonguy9000 Posts: 755 Member
    PaulGR wrote: »
    Really weird.

I suppose I will try basketball-only training and see how it goes. And I will use a cheat to return my body-type to normal in case it somehow turns my female Sim into John Cena...

But then she would be invisible!
    PaulGR wrote: »
    Really weird.

But then she would be invisible!

xD
    @Simberella777 Maybe we don't have exactly the same patch then. It looks like the code varies a lot intentionally or more often accidentally depending on the installed add-ons. It tends to cause bugs and conflicts. Anyway, basketball builds muscle on the patch I'm using. There is nothing in the files that prevents or cancels the changes in muscle mass here.
    Candyd wrote: »
    @Simberella777 Maybe we don't have exactly the same patch then. It looks like the code varies a lot intentionally or more often accidentally depending on the installed add-ons. It tends to cause bugs and conflicts. Anyway, basketball builds muscle on the patch I'm using. There is nothing in the files that prevents or cancels the changes in muscle mass here.

DO you think you guys can post what patch versions you have? I don't know mine, but I ALWAYS update the game so it has to be the latest patch possible.

PS: Haven't tried playing basketball-only to see body changes yet.
    1.27, but if we have different add-ons the game is written a bit differently even in base game files. Plus, the Windows and Mac patches aren't the same. So even with the same patch you can have somewhat different content depending on what you have installed and your OS.
    Thank you so much for that information @Candyd ! It helps to know if the game has a new 'bug' for certain players (depending on add-ons and patches?), rather than something that has been programmed by design all along but just hasn't happened in your (my) game before. I trust what you say as I know you have worked on many mods in this area. I will now refrain from telling people it works this way only because that's the way it happens in my game. I will also be wary of this showing up in future, and know not to report it as a 'new bug' if it does happen, lol.

@PaulGR, if it helps, I am playing on PC (Windows 7), patch version 1.27.80.1020 (the Feb. 2 patch, latest so far) and I have all packs to date (EP's, GP's and SP's) but no mods or cc. I have a decent gaming computer and have always been up-to-date in patches and add-ons, but even with this I've also had a few bugs that not everyone gets.

I found my patch version (on Windows 7) in My Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 in a file called GameVersion.txt.
    I wasn't aware myself that the content could vary that much depending on what you have installed, these are just tiny details not always checked at release but with big consequences, and these details don't necessarily have anything to do with new content. When I started discovering the number of these differences and consequences on the game's behavior, I was quite surprised, I wouldn't have imagined it could go that far. It can even cause plenty of bugs in game, sadly. (I guess that's also the main reason why with almost all mods, every time after a new patch there are people reporting that the mod they have installed is still fine and others reporting issues.)
    Thank you so much for that information @Candyd ! It helps to know if the game has a new 'bug' for certain players (depending on add-ons and patches?), rather than something that has been programmed by design all along but just hasn't happened in your (my) game before. I trust what you say as I know you have worked on many mods in this area. I will now refrain from telling people it works this way only because that's the way it happens in my game. I will also be wary of this showing up in future, and know not to report it as a 'new bug' if it does happen, lol.

@PaulGR, if it helps, I am playing on PC (Windows 7), patch version 1.27.80.1020 (the Feb. 2 patch, latest so far) and I have all packs to date (EP's, GP's and SP's) but no mods or cc. I have a decent gaming computer and have always been up-to-date in patches and add-ons, but even with this I've also had a few bugs that not everyone gets.

I found my patch version (on Windows 7) in My Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 in a file called GameVersion.txt.

Thanks you guys,

I have all packs to date, have CC, and have version 1.28.25.1020 according to my GameVersion.txt

So far seems like Basketball doesn't build any muscle. Will test it further^
    @Simberella777 I just found an official confirmation of what I said... They've obviously missed plenty of stuff despite testing :(
    forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15646481/#Comment_15646481
    @Candyd Yes, thank you, I did see that and I agree with you. I really do think it could be quite easy that some of the code can be missed down the line. It must be hard though, to try and determine how the code will play according to the different packs each player plays. I think that may be why it's so hard to determine the difference in how it's really supposed to work vs. how it works in your game, depending on what you have.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I wasn't aware myself that the content could vary that much depending on what you have installed, these are just tiny details not always checked at release but with big consequences, and these details don't necessarily have anything to do with new content. When I started discovering the number of these differences and consequences on the game's behavior, I was quite surprised, I wouldn't have imagined it could go that far. It can even cause plenty of bugs in game, sadly. (I guess that's also the main reason why with almost all mods, every time after a new patch there are people reporting that the mod they have installed is still fine and others reporting issues.)

Could you share some examples of what you've seen ? My Python files are exactly the same before/after installing the Bowling pack, and the only changes I've spotted in the XML are the new Bowling related ones.
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Depends on if they coded it more like jogging or more like weights. But you can quickly slide buffness down in cas.fulleditmode.
    Le0Heart wrote: »

I suppose it could have been, but they went for a lower range of animation instead. Maybe Sims with high fitness will be better at it? Lots of things in the game don't have separate skills that could have separate skills. There isn't a separate skill for different kinds of writing (which would be realistic), or for cardio vs. strength activities, or a specific chess skill.

What would that be?
    Neia wrote: »

Could you share some examples of what you've seen ? My Python files are exactly the same before/after installing the Bowling pack, and the only changes I've spotted in the XML are the new Bowling related ones.

Changes in the XMLs only as I haven't explored Python files yet. I haven't seen any important difference lately (and I haven't the bowling SP so I can't check this) though.
    I'll PM you.