Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

IDK, Barbara? (We are bad at naming things) -- A United Reading Heptagon

CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
Welcome to our as-of-yet-unnamed Reading Circle! :blush: A real/more serious name is to come as soon as we get the hang of things... This Circle is in a firm "beta" mode right now! :joy:

This will be a circle with a focus on discussion about writing, characters, plot development, etc... With a little fun and silliness thrown in for good measure, of course ;)

Members & Stories:
@AudreyFld - Starting Over
@Arrowleaf - The Landon Legacy
@cecerose0208 - Dreams & Drama Neighborhood Rotation
@Cement - White Lies and Half Truths
@CitizenErased14 - Ashes to Ashes
@LillyDoves - The Bay Family Chronicles

Inactive Members:
@AkramA - Castellon Legacy
@Sourocha - The Life of the Majolentes

Lurkers are welcome to read along and chime in on a discussion if they'd like to :blush:

Enjoy!
snvAF3B.png
Post edited by CitizenErased14 on

Comments

• CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Decided to get our thread started, even though we are totally unprepared :joy:
    snvAF3B.png
  • SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    Haha, looks great! I'll definitely be lurking sometimes lol
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
    edited March 2017
    Do we wanna have some kind of "Getting to know you" Q&A? :) I feel bad at coming up with those kinds of questions though :joy:
    snvAF3B.png
  • SourochaSourocha Posts: 1,465 Member
    I think this would be a very nice idea! Question could make us "open ourselfs" more...but not too much. :D
    So... does anyone have any good questions? :joy: I'm failing horrifically as a circle leader right now. Forgive me :tongue:
    snvAF3B.png
    Oh! Oh! I guess I have one...classic one!

What has brought you to simlist? What is your story, from since you began to write, to now?
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Yay, Barbara circle is here! :joy: For a question to start it off... I don't know, hobbies? What are you guys' likes and dislikes? :o
    @Sourocha and @Cement those are all great questions! I'm on my phone right now but when I'm back on my computer later I will answer them! :blush:
    snvAF3B.png
  • AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    edited March 2017
    What has brought you to simlist?
    I think it was that I always took screenshot and sharing it on my facebook. Also Pinstar Legacy challenge and wanted to share the challenge.

What is your story, from since you began to write, to now?
    Currently I wrote Castellon Legacy. I also wrote Fletcher Legacy and some other stories.

For a question to start it off... I don't know, hobbies?
    Is writing a hobbies? I also like playing games. and I guess gardening and woodworking.

What are you guys' likes and dislikes?
    Are talking about food? Because I like and dislikes foods. I like fried banana with spicy sauce. Dislikes I don't really like shrimp, crab, and probably lobster because i'm allergic.
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
    edited March 2017
    If you need more QnA here's a bunch of ice breaking question:

1. If you're a sims, what's your traits and aspiration?
    2. What is your first sims games to play?
    3. What is your favorite games other than sims?
    4. Right, left, or both handed?
    5. Favorite time of the day?
    6. Coffee or Tea?
    7. What's a nickname for Barbara? Barbie, Barbs, Barry, etc?
    @AkramA your last question is the BEST (I vote Barry :joy:)
    snvAF3B.png
  • ArrowleafArrowleaf Posts: 3,871 Member
    Good questions everyone!

What has brought you to simlit?
    CC actually brought me to simlit. I always wrote stories for fanfiction sites and such, and I always played the sims (since I was about 5, when sims 1 was first released). In 2012 I got into the modding community and realized that there was a whole community that made their sims into stories and I fell in love with berry sweet sims. My first legacy was actually a Rainbowcy.

The Landon Legacy hasn't had a chance to evolve. Right now it's just a young women who lost her family and is trying to honor their memory.

Chasing Rainbows, my legacy from sims 3, started off as a simple love story in my head and turned into a whole saga about racism, interracial love/marriage, life and death.

Hobbies
    Writing, video games, board games, D&D, photography and movies

Likes and Dislikes
    If we are going with food, I love fried plantains! I also love bread and cheese, green tea and sweet potatoes!
    I don't like mushrooms, seafood or raw onions.

If you're a sims, what's your traits and aspiration?
    Sims 4 traits, I would probably be creative, childish and lazy :smiley:

What is your first sims games to play?
    Sims 1!

What is your favorite games other than sims?
    My favorite games besides Sims is the Dead Space series, Final Fantasy series and Tale of series.

Right, left, or both handed?
    Right

Favorite time of the day?
    Night

Coffee or Tea?
    I like both but I NEED coffee in the morning

What's a nickname for Barbara? Barbie, Barbs, Barry, etc?
    Ann
    4s8gctV.png
    The Landon Legacy Wordpress // Forums|
    Chasing Rainbows: Wordpress // Forums
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    What has brought you to simlit? What is your story, from since you began to write, to now?

My love of reading mystery, romance and supernatural stories for "brain candy" coupled with my Sims addiction led to a discovery of simlit and my subsequent realization that I like writing.

I travel a lot for work so I had a substantial collection of paper backs prior onto online books. :# When not traveling I was playing sims. There are so many different experiences in TS3 that I started doing challenges and keeping up with them in a word document. I didn't blog. Then I decided I wanted to create an immortalish sim to experience all of TS3. Again I began a word doc complete with pics to chronicle what I had done. At some point the story took over...around that time I also discovered simlit was a 'thing'.

Dust to Dust by our fearless leader @CitizenErased14 was one of the first simlit stories that I devoured. Then I started trying to find more stories and found some really good ones. I then realized that my 'challenge' was actually simlit and formalized it into a blog and posted it. I eventually brought it to a conclusion. I had so much fun with it I decided to do another story that I would blog it. I wasn't ready for a legacy type challenge again, but decided on the Escape to Nowhere challenge which will be a grand total of 60ish chapters. I am having so much fun. :)

That brought me here. I have never thought of myself as particularly creative or as a writer. The only creative writing I have done is work emails, proposals and and PowerPoint presentations! Boring. I am certainly not a writer - but writing simlit is now on my list of hobbies along with reading and playing sims. As with any hobby I want to learn more. I love exploring others stories and how they approach their writing. I get very invested in the stories.
    1. If you're a sims, what's your traits and aspiration?
      Romantic, family oriented - don't recall the sims 4 aspirations
    2. What is your first sims games to play?
      The Sims
    3. What is your favorite games other than sims?
      Dragon Age - but really only the sims.
    4. Right, left, or both handed?
      Right
    5. Favorite time of the day?
      After 5:00 pm during the week. :) All day.
    6. Coffee or Tea?
      Coffee big time. A pot a day.
    7. What's a nickname for Barbara? Barbie, Barbs, Barry, etc
      Babs?

I'm loving everyone's answers so far :blush: ( @Arrowleaf I love board games! And I do Pathfinder and a Fallout tabletop RPG my brother kinda invented haha but YAY for RP!)

Still not home to answer... but soon!!!!
    snvAF3B.png
    I have a question for everyone!

For more plot driven stories, do you guys build your 'sets'? Or do you download them from the gallery?
    4s8gctV.png
    @Arrowleaf I am build-phobic :joy: I admire the skill of people who can build, but it's just not my thing.

For my legacy, I download sets that won't be seen more than a handful of times from the gallery. I recruit simlit friends who are skilled builders to build important stuff :)

For D2D and PNN, it's all from the galley haha
    snvAF3B.png
    edited March 2017
    Sets are tough! I have downloaded some and built a couple. It takes so much time to build them that if it isn't something simple, I will try to download it so it doesn't hold up the story. I usually get them from MTS or TSR.
    edited March 2017
    Okay, time to answer some stuff!

What has brought you to simlist? What is your story, from since you began to write, to now?

Okay, so, my story...I began at My own Country's sims forums, founded some very interesting stories in there that as game and plot driven, and since I started to play the sims, I always had some plot that I would put on it, there were always some drama or some dialogue that I would think, sadly, I thought all that, but didn't right, so many stories were lost...Anyway, after sometime, I decided to write a story, full plot-drive in that so-called forum, into was good for a while, but I didn't know very well how to manage my time, so I would write a chapter and post it on the same week...Exhausting! After some while I decided that was no-go for me, and decided that I need to go to a bigger lake, that's here! I was amazed of how many threads and ingá there was to do here! I started life of the majorettes because I thought that like It was a family I was playing since the game had release, maybe I would have enough interest to continue the story...and it worked! Began in the happy play thread, but was trying too hard for too little, so here I came!

If you're a sim, what's your traits and aspiration?
    Cheerful, Clumsy and Family oriented...os far as aspiration...Grilled cheese! :D

The sims 2 for PlayStation ( I think...it was the sims 2, in a console, I just don't know which...)

Right!

When there is sun!

Coffee or Tea?
    Juice.Mango juice.

What's a nickname for Barbara? Barbie, Barbs, Barry, etc
    Benna! For reasons... :D

Hobbies.
    Writing, Only...don't really have that much time for other Hobbies!

Like and dislikes.
    Likes sweet stuff, people that respect differences, and a good book.
    Dislikes People that are mean and don't respect differences, sea food and when the sims stops working. :)

Post edited by Sourocha on
    edited March 2017
    (@CitizenErased14 Oh yay! A fellow RPer! :D I have a whole bookshelf full of RP boardgames xD It's kinda an addiction. )

I'm glad I am not the only one. I really do not like building sets, nor am I good at it. I mean, unless you want a giant rectangle! Then I am your girl ;] (I've been getting better at that, though).
    4s8gctV.png
    edited March 2017
    and when the sims stops working

TRUTH, @Sourocha !

Finally time to answer the questions myself! :blush:

What has brought you to simlit?
    I was a lot like @Arrowleaf in that I used write a lot of fanfiction, and also play the sims. I never thought to officially put the two together, but every time I played the Sims, I would make up some kind of crazy story and then "act" it out with the sims. Kinda like @AudreyFld , I started taking screenshots for my own personal use to kinda save a chronicle of my stories.

Right before I started writing Dust to Dust, I decided to lurk on the forums. I'd been planning on playing out the story of a boy who falls in love with a ghost, and I was thinking to myself "This would actually be kinda cool to write as a story... Do people even DO that?" so I started lurking around here and discovered that yes, yes they do :joy: The rest is history!

Well, my "story" begins with my answer to the first question :) Once I got comfortable in the community, I started my little comedy side-story, (Para)Normal Neighborhood. I still update it (though sporadically!) and love it. :)

When Dust to Dust finished, I KNEW I was not done with that family. I wanted to tell the story of Lucas' descendants, so I decided to start a legacy with his grandson. :blush: And now here I am :tongue:

Hobbies
    Writing (of course!), going to Muse concerts, Tabletop RPGS, board games, playing video games (besides the sims! :tongue:), watching movies, being a fangirl :tongue:

Likes and Dislikes
    Food theme? I honestly love all food :joy: I'm so not picky!

Hmmm... Lazy, Creative, Hot-Headed! :joy: Friend of the World aspiration, maybe?

Sims 1! So many memories :heart:

Mass Effect series (OMG Andromeda comes out tomorrow *dying*), Skyrim, Fallout, Dishonored, Game of Thrones and Walking Dead Telltale Games

Right

Anything but early morning :tongue:

Coffee or Tea?
    I drink tea for the taste. I drink coffee for the necessity :joy: So both!

Barry! Makes me think of The Flash :joy:

snvAF3B.png
    By the way... Have any of you seen Stranger Things? (LOVE that show OMG :joy:)

If so, I have our mascot ;)

barb%2Bstranger%2Bthings.jpg

I officially change my "nickname" vote to Barb! :joy:
    snvAF3B.png
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    I'm back home now so I can answer questions :) And yes! I watched Stranger Things! I can't wait to watch the next season. :grin:

I usually lurk around the TS4 GD here, and occasionally skim through the activity feed whenever things aren't too interesting over there. I often go on the Favorite Screenshot thread in the GD since I used to be really active and have long posts of screenshots of my gameplay, as most of the other regulars on that thread had. One of them started a story and, since I liked them, I read it. Hers was the only one I read until one day on the activity feed, someone posted a huge list of recommended simlit on someone's wall, and me, being the bored, nosy person, went to look at it.
    I was so impressed by all these stories that I was like, wow. Just wow. This was like a whole new realm of fanfiction that I couldn't stop reading them and now, here I am. LOL

By myself I wrote out my sims' story, but I never thought of exposing it because the stuff I wrote was vastly different from one of my only exposures in the Favorite Screenshot thread, where things were, by a majority, very lighthearted and casual. My story is actually game driven, and it only has plot because I tried to find some weird reasoning for why I did what I did. A lot of the stuff in my game is pretty odd, and I can't really explain why they there other than, "it was funny at the time."
    I almost always start my sims games off with a single dad with a goal of trying to find someone to spend their whole life with, so that's my "beginning." As a really bad summary of what it is now, my story is a single father who stole a garbage baby and now stuff happens. What stuff? Lots of stuff. Shady stuff. Stuff I can't really say or else my plot is gone. LOL

Hobbies, Likes & Dislikes
    Singing, playing a selection of brass instruments and piano, drawing, painting (mostly acrylic because oil takes way too long to dry)... I wrote poetry for a good chunk of my life, and I'm fond of doing bad photoshop jobs. It all started when I got into this weird thing where I'd photoshop my head on bodybuilders when I was 13 so it kinda evolved from that
    I liked writing short stories since I was a kid, and I still do now since, you know, I'm writing simlit LOL
    I play spooky videogames and cry about it, or anything multiplayer with friends. What else... Ah, yeah, sleeping. I love me some sleep.
    I like almost everything and dislike a few. I love things about space and underwater animals, memes and bad pickup lines. If you name it, I probably like it. The only things I don't like that I can think of from the top of my head are bugs or jarred doors.
    As for food, I like everything. Just put it in my mouth. I'll eat it, man. :sob:what have I become

Successful Lineage (Domestic) aspiration with Glutton, Clumsy, Gloomy, and Childish.
    My first game was TS2 on console.
    Smite, DragonAge:Origins, Free Overwatch Paladins, and adventure/exploration games where I die a lot like Skyrim or some MMORPG. I usually play whatever I'm in the mood for, though.
    Wish I was both, but I'm just Right. :(
    Afternoon/Dusk
    Because that's naptime :)
    Coffee or Tea?
    Hot chocolate/cocoa--But Tea if I have to choose. Coffee doesn't agree with my stomach at all. :(
    Ba-ba-ba
    ba-barbara ann

:sob:

For more plot driven stories, do you guys build your 'sets'? Or do you download them from the gallery?
    I build all of mine... Rather, just the parts that are actually pictured :joy:
    There's about two I didn't build in my story, those two being the exterior of the school in Chapter 1 and the grocery store in Chapter 5. Everything else I built since I like building in my free time. ...Mostly gyms and lazily decorated family homes, though.
    I don't have much time for TV but do like Walking Dead and Outlander. :)

I was a lurker for sooo long!

Oh food? Is wine a food group?
    I love The Walking Dead @AudreyFld ! (And yes, wine should be a food group ;) )

Okay Barbarites -- question! Is the plan that we are gonna wait a couple weeks before talking about specific stories so we have time to catch up? Like, maybe stick to more general chit chat for now?

And then we can start with the shorter stories first (as someone suggested!) ? Are we all cool with this plan? :)

And I'm sorry for being lazy. I'll add everyone's stories to the first post soon, I swear!
    snvAF3B.png
    Traits: Geek, Lazy, Goofball, Aspiration: Party Animal

Technically sims 1 but I don't really playing it for fun, just discovering a sims games in my uncle's computer, so it's sims 3 generation.

I'm a history geek so I love Crusader Kings 2 so much, it's like the sims legacy challenge but with a lot of murder.

I write with right hand but my left hand are stronger. I mean most of the thing I do is with right hand but when I'm using axe, shovel, or saw, or any other heavy tool my left hand took care of it.

Dawn to morning, it's always nice to wake up early.

Coffee or Tea?
    Tea, especially Jasmine. Iced Lemon tea is also good.

Barbara but say it less pronounce

I did both but usually the one that I made are used for certain things like if I wanted to create certain tone. But it's only set though, I couldn't possibly build functional house that look good. The good thing in creating set is it's okay to make a big box and since I think my interior design was not as bad as my weirdly roofed house. Seriously though, how do you roof?