Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do vampires affect your game?

KittensMeow10KittensMeow10 Posts: 161 Member
I've been debating getting the Vampire game pack, but I'm worried about how it will affect my game when I'm not playing with a vampire sim. What are your experiences with the vampire game pack in a non-vampire household?

Comments

• CroxycookCroxycook Posts: 239 Member
    So far, not a lot. I've had two breakins, only one of which ended with a successful feeding. It seems like nightstands keep vampires from being able to feed.

There were two more almost breakins, but as they happened just before dawn, the vampire went away before even getting in the door.

Overall, they haven't been too disruptive in my game, but I've seen reports from others that have seen much more active vampires.
  • LaceyroseLaceyrose Posts: 587 Member
    I am really liking the Vampires in my game..in my opinion, they are much better than the former vampire packs.. I have 2 vampires in my legacy game.. they seem to fit right in with the story line.
  • JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    Now I dont have the pack myself but I'm pretty sure @Cinebar has said in another post that you have to let the vampire in at one point before they break in, I hope I got that right?

If that's the case, don't interact with vampires or just delete them all together
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
    Now I dont have the pack myself but I'm pretty sure @Cinebar has said in another post that you have to let the vampire in at one point before they break in, I hope I got that right?

If that's the case, don't interact with vampires or just delete them all together

This is inaccurate. In my ISBI, Vlad breaking in was the first time any of my sims had seen him, let alone interacted with him.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Croxycook wrote: »

This is inaccurate. In my ISBI, Vlad breaking in was the first time any of my sims had seen him, let alone interacted with him.

Did you research about vampires? Because that will bring him to your house.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »

Nope. Not a lick until afterwards. Just one night three vamps. One was already friendly, one showed up as a random drop in and Vlad "sneaking" his way in full view of everyone in the house with the exception of his sleeping victim.

Nope. Not a lick until afterwards. Just one night three vamps. One was already friendly, one showed up as a random drop in and Vlad "sneaking" his way in full view of everyone in the house with the exception of his sleeping victim.

Well, there you go..you just said one was already friendly. You can't interact with vampires and have to be careful when they are in disguise not to speak to them.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SiMsStoriesSiMsStories Posts: 219 Member
    I haven't had any actual break ins "yet". However if you fear that a vampire will break into a sim's home in regular game play, There is a mod where vampires will not break in your sim's resident homes in other worlds other than forgotten hallow. I have not used this mod myself so I cannot tell you what to expect from it, if you do play with mods inside your game that is.
    BHv51HO.gif
    Alive - Episode 2: Friends |watch it on| Youtube | Forum | Twitter
  • mebagl15mebagl15 Posts: 563 Member
    When I first got Vampires, I played defensively. I tried to keep my game as free from vampires as possible. I wasn't sure how they would effect my game. Now that I have more knowledge/experience with them I feel comfortable using them. I just started a new save where I'm allowing vampires in my game. We'll see how they play out.
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,585 Member
    Imo, it can happen without researching, buuuut I think researching can increase the odds, along with inviting them in.

But honestly, with the occasionally break in/feeding, they really don't do that much and keep to themselves. I've only had one unintentional break in, and it was in San Myshuno. All my other files have been relatively vampire-free (well the ones where I don't do things that would promote vampire visitations).

You don't have to deal with the town converting to vamps, as they're 100% player-only decision. Garlic helps keep the vampires away, but tbh I honestly rarely see them breaking in. Usually they'll knock on the door and hang outside trying to get invited in, but if you ignore them they ~usually~ stay away.

Well, there you go..you just said one was already friendly. You can't interact with vampires and have to be careful when they are in disguise not to speak to them.

Don't get me wrong. Wasn't complaining. But what I originally quoted made it seem like you had to interact with the same vampire, is all. To me, at least.

Don't get me wrong. Wasn't complaining. But what I originally quoted made it seem like you had to interact with the same vampire, is all. To me, at least.

No, to me Vlad is the head vampire already in game. The master vampire. If you interact with the other vampires either them or he will show up to bite your Sim. It's all player triggered. I think some may have not noticed a generated vamp was a Sim and their Sim talked to them at a bar somewhere or something. They usually stand at door and knock. If you don't let them in, they go away. Even the ones I had Dracula bite showed up like neighbors at night of my other Sims but I don't let them in for particular houses. Out of fifteen households only one Sim has been bitten and that is because she studied about vampires to make garlic wreaths...well, that brought Vlad to her house a few night later. I let him in, he came back at 4 A.M. If you don't associate with vampires out in town you won't have them breaking in. Some make vampires and have them move in, well, of course another is going to come over and bite somebody.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I've had the vampires pack since day one and never ever saw a break-in until I rotated to a new household. And even then the break-ins were done only by the vampires I added to the game. Vlad and The Valores have never broke in. The vampires that the game adds seem to be to fill in jobs (eg. waiter) or walk-by sims in FH.

Vampires make awesome butlers (I'll let y'all figure that out).
  • TheLibrarySimTheLibrarySim Posts: 966 Member
    I might start a new game. I've had the pack since day 1, and I've never had a vampire break in.
    Sure, they all storm Rosemary's apartment on "Game Night," and leave water glasses everywhere, but nobody's ever snuck in to bite one of my sleeping vanilla Sims.
    Funny thing happened last night, though. Rosemary was camping at Granite Falls, and guess who else was staying there? Vlad had the big cabin, while Caleb and Lilith Vatore were in another. Fortunately, there were enough vanilla Sims wandering around to feed on.
    7mQr8Yt.jpg
  • Tanja1986Tanja1986 Posts: 1,237 Member
    I love vampires but in my game at least they are quite rare... Every single time I start a new family, 3 days in I get a call from Vlad. I made my sims all study vampire lore, so I don't know if it would trigger without this! After the call he either dropped by to visit, I always let him in, the next night he fed on my Sim. But afterwards I never saw another vampire break-in!

Also the tuning files are setup in such a way, that even with autonomy on, only friendly interactions make a vampire offer to turn autonomously! However gathering in a club with vampires makes their powers and interactions ALL autonomous! Meaning if a vampire in a club has the vampire creation power he may use it, while in a club!

It seems many interactions are actively activated through club or group gatherings, but somehow won't work without them... I have mods that activate autonomy for vampires, yet I never saw any of them use any power, let alone drink interaction on their own! :( For me the vampires are the best we ever had, yet for me too little active and again set to a more friendly approach. A vampire won't do anything if he is evil for example. The only thing that sometimes gets triggered is when a vampire is jealous! If you cheat on one and he sees you, he may become angry and rage out, meaning he will bite any Sim standing in a radius of 25 which is written in the tuning files.
    Bottom line to me is this doesn't need tweaking or toned down. It works like it is supposed to do. Almost everyone who appreciates this pack for what it was supposed to do, explains it's working just like it should. If they study about vampires or are friendly with one they may get visited in the middle of the night. Most of the others who appreciate this pack say they lived in a house with the lot trait where Vlad is set to call up your Sim and welcome them to neighborhood (which if not a vampire yourself he will visit late that night and bite somebody) and the lot traits work correctly for this pack so far by most reports. It seems only the people who don't like vampires in their game who bought the pack anyway are saying it's not working as it should (too many etc) but I say it is indeed working just as intended in my game.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    It may be working as intended, but I'd still like a Sims2 style player control over vampire population, at least as an optional toggle. Having non-Hollow towns crawling with townie vampires that proliferate like rats and look like regular townies is not my idea of fun. Or even having a calm life. As it stands now the only way to be reasonably sure that one is not friendly with any vampires is to stay home at night and not talk to anyone until the sun is up and blazing.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    It may be working as intended, but I'd still like a Sims2 style player control over vampire population, at least as an optional toggle. Having non-Hollow towns crawling with townie vampires that proliferate like rats and look like regular townies is not my idea of fun. Or even having a calm life. As it stands now the only way to be reasonably sure that one is not friendly with any vampires is to stay home at night and not talk to anyone until the sun is up and blazing.

It's really not that bad.

To be honest, I've no idea what triggers vampire break-ins and I've had the vampires pack since day 1.

The sim I was playing at the time of release researched vampire secrets then Vlad paid her a visit. He was not invited in and no more visits ever happened. Then I rotated to another family and the break-ins began without any of them researching vampires or having met one. I had one of the sims create garlic braids and this prevented any more attacks. Then I moved two of the sims to an apartment and the attacks continued. However, I then moved them to a cottage in Windenburg and the attacks have stopped.

This has only ever happened in my game once but a vampire summoned one of my sims to his home after meeting her in a bar. I declined the offer.

Please, it's very easy to tell which Sims are vamps even if the game spawns one to work in a restaurant or store. They hiss, they turn into bats etc. And they will be the first to be culled the following Sunday in the game. It's easy to spot one the game may have generated to fill a job because a player probably culled/deleted some old Sims in manage households. If truth be known. And it's just as easy to delete that Sim and replace with one of your own, or let the game generate another old Sim for the job.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited March 2017
    Bottom line to me is this doesn't need tweaking or toned down. It works like it is supposed to do. Almost everyone who appreciates this pack for what it was supposed to do, explains it's working just like it should. If they study about vampires or are friendly with one they may get visited in the middle of the night. Most of the others who appreciate this pack say they lived in a house with the lot trait where Vlad is set to call up your Sim and welcome them to neighborhood (which if not a vampire yourself he will visit late that night and bite somebody) and the lot traits work correctly for this pack so far by most reports. It seems only the people who don't like vampires in their game who bought the pack anyway are saying it's not working as it should (too many etc) but I say it is indeed working just as intended in my game.

I would tone them down. Realize it's not the vamps themselves but rather...

At release, nothing would interrupt sims from their sleep. Fast forward to today, we have the monster under the bed, alien abduction, vampire attacks - and if you live in Saint Bingo - potentially things such as loud neighbors. The problem is that the Sims team has a bad habit of always implementing features as though it were the only new feature to ever exist. It's "Eager Feature Syndrome," as I like to call it, where they try to ensure people experience a feature as much as possible.

In your own examples, you cannot be friendly with any vampires. Okay. What if I have a vampire that I want my Sim to be friends with? What if I make vampire sims myself and like to see them socially interact with my other ones? Something as simple as that will start the attacks. That seems a bit excessive, don't you think?

The problem isn't so much the feature or it's frequency itself, but rather that the Sims team relentlessly overdoes it with any new features they add. If they reintroduced burglars in a patch, I have no doubt that same patch would be followed by complaints that burglars show up once every week. They just consistently underestimate just how frequently an X percent chance can be. To argue something should keep it's initial frequency just because it was the initial frequency...? That seems shortsighted, and doesn't account for the fact that the Sims team has a VERY bad habit of shoving new features in our faces.

So yeah, even if you currently like vampires at their current attack rate, realize this probably won't be the last nighttime event the Sims team implements, and that if you get vampires plus the other stuff to follow, I'd imagine it'll wear on your nerves, too.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
    edited March 2017

I would tone them down. Realize it's not the vamps themselves but rather...

At release, nothing would interrupt sims from their sleep. Fast forward to today, we have the monster under the bed, alien abduction, vampire attacks - and if you live in Saint Bingo - potentially things such as loud neighbors. The problem is that the Sims team has a bad habit of always implementing features as though it were the only new feature to ever exist. It's "Eager Feature Syndrome," as I like to call it, where they try to ensure people experience a feature as much as possible.

In your own examples, you cannot be friendly with any vampires. Okay. What if I have a vampire that I want my Sim to be friends with? What if I make vampire sims myself and like to see them socially interact with my other ones? Something as simple as that will start the attacks. That seems a bit excessive, don't you think?

The problem isn't so much the feature or it's frequency itself, but rather that the Sims team relentlessly overdoes it with any new features they add. If they reintroduced burglars in a patch, I have no doubt that same patch would be followed by complaints that burglars show up once every week. They just consistently underestimate just how frequently an X percent chance can be. To argue something should keep it's initial frequency just because it was the initial frequency...? That seems shortsighted, and doesn't account for the fact that the Sims team has a VERY bad habit of shoving new features in our faces.

So yeah, even if you currently like vampires at their current attack rate, realize this probably won't be the last nighttime event the Sims team implements, and that if you get vampires plus the other stuff to follow, I'd imagine it'll wear on your nerves, too.

You have garlic. Sigh. You have the ability to set their powers where they won't 'drink' from other Sims. You have all sorts of options. And no I didn't say you couldn't be friends with vampires. But you already know how the mechanics of this game works for day one. If you have a friend in this game some may knock first, others don't and just barge in. It was that way on day one. That may be why some vamps come on in a Sim house if they are friends with your Sim. It's always been that way in this game even for 'human' Sims. It really has nothing to do with the vampires. Some don't have the 'power' to enter at will, players give them those powers. Vlad in game already has this power.

I have yet for my Sim's boyfriend vampire bust in and bite her in the middle of night. So, I really don't understand what you guys do (other than some have mods which may change the mechanics greatly and not know it) and how I play. Only one Sim in my long time save has been visited before hand, she let him in, and he came back late. Her sweetheart vampire hasn't been seen in days and has not broken in at will. Because I assume he doesn't have that power, since I didn't give it to him. It's about player responsibility to me. It works as intended. This other stuff is mumbo jumbo because players wanted the 'stuff' but not the features. Then get mods to just acquire the 'stuff' and skip the game pack itself.

ETA: The phone calls causing the time to go back to normal when Sims are asleep has been in game since day one, you can't blame that on this pack. Invites to the bluffs has been slowing down clock for sleeping Sims and has been going on since 2015. And other things like a date in the middle of night since early 2015 and all sorts of interruptions. That isn't the fault of the vampire pack. Just tell the gurus to resume the ultra speed once the player looks at the invite..end of story. Matter of fact pets in TS2 if dog is awake time goes back to normal. It's a Sim thing and always has been. ETA: TS1, Bandit shows up on property to get in trash...time goes back to normal because Sim is disrupted from sleep...it's a Sim thing since 2000.
    My Sims4 installation has 0 custom content, so no odd effects from that. In the game in question I have 2 vampire households, one for experimenting with the pack, the other by using the cheat codes as a defensive measure after repeated break-ins by townie vampires. Not one of the Maxis made or me made vamps have broken in. I speak of the proliferation not only from the high attack ratio, but having one of my vamps take a walk in town looking for a desperately needed drink. Townies were roaming the streets in great quantity, and every single one was a vampire! No hissing or turning into bats, just the message that can't drink from other vampires. My desperate sim was finally able to get a drink early morning when the first of the 'day shift' townies started coming out but it was not light enough yet for the compel interaction to be inoperative. That kind of ratio seems a mite excessive. Have since abandoned that game save and now play using fresh ones in which there has been no vamp related activity at all.

Yes, there is garlic, but the ability to make garlands and wreaths takes time to acquire, and the plants themselves are scarcer than the proverbial hen's teeth.
  • CrzydramaqueenCrzydramaqueen Posts: 632 Member
    It hasn't been bad for me. The vampire population doesn't seem to grow too much, unlike in Sims 3, so your town shouldn't be overrun. It's easy to tell which sims are vampires, so you can pretty much avoid them.
    cropped-vampiresig-e1486927472938.jpg
    There is a difference between 'shouldn't and 'is', at least in my installation. Judging by various posts in several threads there seems to be a random range of these things, from little to none all the way to player misery. One poor soul had her sim attacked and drunk from three times while at home. That shouldn't happen either (cool down time between being drunk from sessions) but it did. None of the usual preliminary trigger activities, either.
  • AkiraAnubiseAkiraAnubise Posts: 240 Member
    edited March 2017
    I haven't had any break in's or bites even when two of my sims are dating/Married to vampires and one is a vampire. Only two to have the ability automatically to break into houses and that is Caleb and Vlad. And they very rarely do it in my game. Even then you can delete or wait for the cull to happen (generated vampires are the first on the cull list if they are not in a world)

In my game vampires are rarely generated and are the first to go when the cull happens. On other save my sim lives in the city, with no interaction with vampires and I have never had a break in or a biting happen. Heck in that save no vampires are generated and I started the save when I bought the pack.

Everything is player controlled, you don't want the vampires simply don't interact with any of them. Don't talk to them, don't befriend them, don't visit Forgotten Hallow, don't make a vampire, don't date/marry them, don't study vampires, basically stay away from anything dealing the vamps. Or just by garlic plants and plant them around the houses (no generated vampire as garlic immunity Power) That alone will keeps the game from generating any of them. You can tell if a sim is a vampire is if you go under friendly the option to praise Vampiric life shows up. That's how I have been able to tell if a sim is a vampire. And if I find they are a vampire and don't want them I simply open world manager and delete them.