Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 did supernatural creatures HORRIBLY!

SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
Now, I'm gonna say it right here: while I enjoy Sims 2, and even loved it at a point in time, I personally don't like it as much as 99% of the Simmers do. It's a good game, but it just doesn't have things in it that I like (limited body shapes, gradual sunset, limited hair colors, etc.) But the one thing I cannot excuse is the game's horrible care of playable supernatural creatures.

And don't throw the "the game's older" excuse, as I think that's a terrible excuse. Here's what I mean:

VAMPIRES
  • They survive on food. THEY SURVIVE ON FOOD. Not plasma. FOOD.
  • They do that stupid "bleh bleh bleh" thing (As Hotel Transylvania's Dracula states, "I don't say bleh bleh bleh.")
  • It doesn't do anything other than make you fear sun, do a weird walk and have grey skin. Vampires were so boring.

WEREWOLVES
  • Again, nothing special. It just makes you grow extra hair during the night. It's all cosmetics and appearance.

WITCHES
  • They always wear that dumb outfit. Even if you change it, they somehow go back into it.
  • You need to make a bunch of items to cast spells. This kills witchcraft for me, as making those items is honestly pretty tedious.

ALIENS
  • Just normal Sims with light green skin and black eyes. Nothing too special, but this one doesn't bother me that much, actually.

If you like these not-so-supernaturals, then good for you! You enjoy playing with them! This is just my stupid opinion, and I'm not trying to tell anyone why they are wrong, or anything. I'm a big fan of the supernatural, even to the point of believing it, and these are just horrible depictions of these creatures, in my opinion.
Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]

Comments

• Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Vampires also lived forever. If you didn't have University, you definitely didn't want to turn teenagers into vampires unless you wanted them to remain teenagers forever short of curing them.

Werewolves also had a personality shift. They slowly shift to all having the same personality.

The reason for the lackluster supernaturals compared to Sims 3 and Sims 4 is likely due to the game's base game engine and core code. You can only do so much given the base game's engine and core code. They did figure out some ways around motives when Plant sims were created, but that sometimes happens.

Sims 2 did do one thing right with regards to supernaturals: it let you have hybrids. Vampire, zombie, werewolf, plant sim, alien, witch all in one Sim.
  • pupshadow22pupshadow22 Posts: 43 Member
    Yeah @Seera1024 the hybrids in the Sims 2 felt pretty natural. Though the Sims 3 could be modded to support hybrids with Nraas.

I think in general, mods were the way to go to make Supernaturals playable in both games. Zombie infection, vampire deadly bites, and werewolf deadly savage were really fun.
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited March 2017
    I love the way they did supernaturals in TS2 because I don't see them :smirk: The only time they hosed it was with the witches who would appear on community lights and crash your games (thank goodness for paladin/simwardrobe's mod that got rid of them).

I reckon TS2 was really the first time they delved into full supernatural lifestages (Plantsims were cute, I turned one of my sims into one by accident) I reckon they are far more fleshed out in TS3 and TS4 and I made this point in another thread comparing the sims that if you like supernatural and fantasy gameplay TS3 would be the superior game.

I hear TS4 has even better supernatural vampires--but I reckon EA is going to bleed wallets by making players pay for each life stage type, e.g., a Fairy GP or a Werewolf GP. While I think that kinda is lame for the players--I appreciate that these are being kept out of standard play. They really hosed it with stuffing aliens into GTW :disappointed:
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    for TS2 they did the best zombies EVER

i loved also the Plantsims

i don't care much for vampires at all
    witches are better made in TS3 & aliens have to be made great first at all, but the abductions in TS2 are fabulous

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
    for TS2 they did the best zombies EVER

i loved also the Plantsims

i don't care much for vampires at all
    witches are better made in TS3 & aliens have to be made great first at all, but the abductions in TS2 are fabulous

I do like the TS2 abductions as well and I don't even like supernatural game play! I loathe the way they did aliens in TS4 :cry:
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I love the way they did supernaturals in TS2 because I don't see them :smirk: The only time they hosed it was with the witches who would appear on community lights and crash your games (thank goodness for paladin/simwardrobe's mod that got rid of them).

I reckon TS2 was really the first time they delved into full supernatural lifestages (Plantsims were cute, I turned one of my sims into one by accident) I reckon they are far more fleshed out in TS3 and TS4 and I made this point in another thread comparing the sims that if you like supernatural and fantasy gameplay TS3 would be the superior game.

I hear TS4 has even better supernatural vampires--but I reckon EA is going to bleed wallets by making players pay for each life stage type, e.g., a Fairy GP or a Werewolf GP. While I think that kinda is lame for the players--I appreciate that these are being kept out of standard play. They really hosed it with stuffing aliens into GTW :disappointed:

I love the supernaturals in 2. If you didn't like them you could easily avoid them. I like the fact the sims 2 vampires were smart in that they refused to come out during the day (and they wouldn't keep asking your sim to come out during the day like they do in 4)

I agree with your post though :-)
  • SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member

I love the supernaturals in 2. If you didn't like them you could easily avoid them. I like the fact the sims 2 vampires were smart in that they refused to come out during the day (and they wouldn't keep asking your sim to come out during the day like they do in 4)

My problem with the Sims 2 supernaturals is not that I did not like them, it's they they were flat-out TERRIBLE. And I'm honestly surprised no one shares this opinion. I will take it to the grave...

SIMS 2 SUPERNATURAL BEINGS WERE NOT GOOD AT ALL!!!

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
    SimFan298 wrote: »

My problem with the Sims 2 supernaturals is not that I did not like them, it's they they were flat-out TERRIBLE. And I'm honestly surprised no one shares this opinion. I will take it to the grave...

In your opinion. Not fact.
  • SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member

...Oh, I thought I stated that it was an opinion. Sorry!

Yes, it is my opinion. But still... I find it hard to see why people like Sims 2's, aside from hybrids, which I personally don't give a plum about.

...Oh, I thought I stated that it was an opinion. Sorry!

Yes, it is my opinion. But still... I find it hard to see why people like Sims 2's, aside from hybrids, which I personally don't give a plum about.

I've give you reasons why I personally like them, as have others. You clearly don't agree with it and that's fine.
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    This is why I hacked the living plumbbob out of everything but plantsims.

For me, the worst is when you have multiple supernatural sims and suddenly all every sim and their dog wants is for them to be "cured." It's like maxis never intended us to play supernatural sims long term. And restricting Supernatural State wants to just knowledge sims is plain silly - the benefits of some of the supernatural states to business or popularity sims more than make up for that fear of being turned.

Not to mention that plantsims are IDEAL family sims...
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
    Supernatural sims should be neither seen nor heard :unamused: I still maintain, that TS2 was the only game that allowed both fans of supernaturals and fans of realism play the same game and enjoy it. It was a first pass at these states, of course EA had room to grow--now supernatural states SUCK. Aliens are horrible and invasive instead of a novelty choice you opt whether to play, and there are no adorable plantsims (if there were, EA would probably make them run around everyone's games :angry:) I'm sorry to the OP who doesn't like TS2 supernaturals, but this was the ONLY game were they were implemented well, even if the supernaturals themselves weren't as good as their revisions.
  • Misscow1PMisscow1P Posts: 366 Member
    I love the way they did supernaturals in TS3. I do have fun with them in TS2, but not to the same level. I love how TS3 made it geneticized, and how they added so many features to each occult, even the ghosts. The only one I like more in TS2 is the aliens, but thats mainly because I hate the shade of green they gave to TS3 aliens. I actually really liked the TS4 aliens, minus the racists against aliens. It's kind of silly that literally every single sim despises aliens, and the only way to play without it is to make your aliens look like regular people. If it weren't for that, TS4 would have my favorite aliens.
  • HeyHeyyHeyHeyy Posts: 465 Member
    I didn't use supernaturals in the sims 2, but I always had vampires in the sims 3 & loved them.
    GALLERY: jdm14_xx
    LIKE my page on FACEBOOK. @jm.violetsims14

<3