Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Willingly Writing Reading Circle (On Hiatus)

Comments

• Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    No worries, @Simcraft81, I've been sick too, and woke up with a headache.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    xJojoxxJojox Posts: 6,878 Member
    @AdamsEve1231 @dancerfreak98 - love your POV's Makes me really happy and i like how different people think :) you guys completely speed read WAY MORE than i ever imagined this read. It's very surprising!!! And heart warming at the same time. I'm glad you like it so much...
  • Options
    Simcraft81Simcraft81 Posts: 499 Member
    edited March 2017
    Welcome!
    C62x-xrWkAA6MJU.jpg

Sunset Valley's Most Wanted
    The Story of a fallen criminal organization. Not by arch rivals or heroes, but from their own doing. Personal feelings got the best of this group but that's not to say they can't start again. ;)
    Questions for Appreciated Readers
    1. What are your thoughts on the Final Chapter?
    2. What are your thoughts on this story as a whole?
    3. What do you think about each chapter introducing a member as well as progressing through the story?
    4. What do you think about the characters being the focus more than the actual plan to take Over the world?

Holiday
    Holiday takes place during a particularly warm Snowflake Day (since I have yet to buy 'Seasons' lol) and follows the adventures of Abe Evler. I wanted to have a Sim in my neighborhood who could represent a general idea of happiness.
    The story is a little different from others and I wanted readers to develop their own theories. Some things are easy to see while reading but have you seen anymore???

abe%2Bformal%2Bscs.jpg

Post edited by Simcraft81 on
  • Options
    IllusoryThrallIllusoryThrall Posts: 1,335 Member

Just peeking in to say hi.. I might be joining in on your circle if it's okay with everyone. I've been playing Sims since the very first Sims, so I've been around for a rather long time in the simming community, although only recently have I really gotten brave enough to join in and talk. I joined another reading circle, and they seem to be more casual than you guys (as well as catering to an entirely different type of story - game driven.) I just recently went back to a story idea I've been sitting on for a years, and discovered that the reason I stopped writing was because I was trying to make the game match the story.. and it just wasn't working. I fixed the issue by changing it to a story-driven (so I can cheat to make the game do what I want it to!) .. and posted a new chapter to get myself back into it. It's based on Sims 3, the Apocalypse Challenge, and the Nothing is Free challenge.. but I'm not completely following any of the rules because the story is what's driving where I go in the game, not the other way around (which is what I'm used to!) I think joining a reading circle with it will help me to keep up with it.. currently I'm planning on updating weekly or bi weekly.. and since I'm always looking for new things to read, I'm in for reading your guys' stories, too. Currently I'm in the process of publishing my own challenge, so I'm doing a lot of play-testing. Having to take a break to try to catch up with reading will be nice. Anyway, to make a long story shorter, if you guys will have me, I'd like to join!

The story I'd join with is my "Spectres of the Past" story, is linked here:
    Prologue
    1. Where is Everyone?
    2. The Will to Survive
    3. Determination vs. Hopelessness
    4. Desolation
    (The last chapter is new, the rest is back before I dropped the story - somehow I've kept the all the saves, and all the notes and screenshots I took back then. I've managed to find the custom world it's based in still available for download and working... and have confirmed that the save is working and ready to play, which I'm really excited about. This week I plan on taking the time to get the mods installed and set up how I need them for the story and hopefully put out another chapter.)

Yikes.. I've written far more than I planned on. LOL.. as usual. If possible, and it's ok with everyone that I join, can you guys link a starting place for the stories I need to catch up on so I can get those on my "to read" list?
  • Options
    Welcome *waves* cant wait to start reading ur story!!
  • Options
    Dancer-freakDancer-freak Posts: 223 Member
    @IllusoryThrall HELLO! Welcome to the group :D This is a great bunch of people and I am certain you are gonna fit right in.

This is a link to the very first page of this thread that contains a post that has all of our bios and stuff. You can find links in the second post to all of the stories that everyone is writing. Right now we are focusing on @Simcraft81's short stories "Holiday" and "Most Wanted" Hope that helps!!

@AdamsEve1231 If Illusory decides that this is the group for them, I think it would be best to go straight to their story on the 23rd instead of mine. Just a thought I had lol. :blush:

@Simcraft81 I have the stories read, I am going to answer your questions in a little bit but currently my mother-in-law is video calling us LOL I will say that Holiday really struck me, it made me kind of sad, and I love the themes that you have portrayed in both stories.
  • Options
    @Dancer-freak I'll try to get those two stories read tonight, but it shouldn't be a problem. I'm just doing some finishing touches on the last part of my challenge I just posted Sunday. I had an heir that wasn't quite aged up, but the goals were complete, so it's just an interminable waiting game. Having something to read is just the thing to help me through!
  • Options
    @dancerfreak98 did u catch up to answer the beyond 80 questions? lol.
  • Options
    @IllusoryThrall Welcome to our happy circle. I'm happy to plug you into our reading schedule. And you can go next instead of @Dancer-freak. I can rework the schedule no problem. I'm looking forward to reading your story.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @xJojox no not yet!! I think I am just past chapter eighty... I spent most of yesterday trying to finish chapter 23 of the Blakesley (which still isn't done cause my laptop is awful). I am working on it!! Also! You keep tagging "dancerfreak98" it is just "Dancer-freak" LOL. Just figured I should let you know, easy mistake, honestly I have done it to people before. LOL. Also, don't ask me why I chose this username, it was 2013 and I was naive. If I could change it I would *cries*

@Simcraft81 Here are the answers to your questions!

Most Wanted
    1. What are your thoughts on the Final Chapter?

It was quite the dramatic finale. With the death of Xander and the fights between Iqbal and Jared. Then you have Claire and her baby girl Elisa just peacing out. A lot of stuff happened in that one part of the short series, but I suppose the rest of the chapters were building up to the inevitable doom for the group. I liked how you left this chapter open. The last line "Though personal feelings lead to the downfall of this group, it is also the chance for new possibilities". I believe you were referencing Iqbal and his boys having a better relationship. But I also think that could be referring to Ayesha. Since the group has fallen, she has the chance to rise again and be the one in charge. It tied off the story really well, but also left room for expansion if you chose to do so.

2. What are your thoughts on this story as a whole?

Good! I liked the idea as well as the execution of the story. I think it taught a good moral lesson as well, that you can be the reason for your own demise. I like that there is an obvious, yet subtle, build up towards the end chapter and that we get to see the lives of the characters and how their lives influence the outcome of the situation.

3. What do you think about each chapter introducing a member as well as progressing through the story?

Very cool! I haven't read a story like that in this community before so props for creativity! I think it was neat to focus on the characters perspective for that chapter and to see how they prgressed through the rest of the story and watch their character development.

4. What do you think about the characters being the focus more than the actual plan to take Over the world?

Interesting concept, not knowing what the actual plan was kept you guessing. I like that the plot was driven by character motivation/character development. It was really cool.

Holiday
    I thought Holiday was kind of one of those happy yet sad stories. Obviously Abe is this happy-go-lucky, pleasant character in your world, for example when he talks with Claire in Most Wanted and tells her to "enjoy life". Perhaps this had a big impact on her decision to leave with baby Elisa. Regardless, it is obvious that he is a very happy guy. But the reader also kind of picks up on some sadness in him. In his flash backs we get that he was working a lot, and obviously he had some big plans. He viewed the woman he met as a "distraction" of sorts yet, love prevails. However this is kind of the literal interpretation of what is going on. I feel as though, through some of your dialect, perhaps this woman is not actually real. She is, in fact, a manifestation of the cheerful part of himself. The final few screenshots, him alone, her far from him, her getting closer and then finishing with him alone yet his tie is now blue, kind of tell this story.

This story is very obviously more serious than when you probe on the surface. I believe what you are describing here is his ascent to happiness. (honestly writing that made me smile!! I also teared up a bit.) It is really quite powerful, bravo.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    *Double posted, wifi at my school is rotten. Sorry!
    Post edited by Dancer-freak on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @Dancer-freak I'd change my name too. *sigh* I think it's super annoying we can't change our usernames.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Just peeking in to say hi.. I might be joining in on your circle if it's okay with everyone. I've been playing Sims since the very first Sims, so I've been around for a rather long time in the simming community, although only recently have I really gotten brave enough to join in and talk. I joined another reading circle, and they seem to be more casual than you guys (as well as catering to an entirely different type of story - game driven.) I just recently went back to a story idea I've been sitting on for a years, and discovered that the reason I stopped writing was because I was trying to make the game match the story.. and it just wasn't working. I fixed the issue by changing it to a story-driven (so I can cheat to make the game do what I want it to!) .. and posted a new chapter to get myself back into it. It's based on Sims 3, the Apocalypse Challenge, and the Nothing is Free challenge.. but I'm not completely following any of the rules because the story is what's driving where I go in the game, not the other way around (which is what I'm used to!) I think joining a reading circle with it will help me to keep up with it.. currently I'm planning on updating weekly or bi weekly.. and since I'm always looking for new things to read, I'm in for reading your guys' stories, too. Currently I'm in the process of publishing my own challenge, so I'm doing a lot of play-testing. Having to take a break to try to catch up with reading will be nice. Anyway, to make a long story shorter, if you guys will have me, I'd like to join!

The story I'd join with is my "Spectres of the Past" story, is linked here:
    Prologue
    1. Where is Everyone?
    2. The Will to Survive
    3. Determination vs. Hopelessness
    4. Desolation
    (The last chapter is new, the rest is back before I dropped the story - somehow I've kept the all the saves, and all the notes and screenshots I took back then. I've managed to find the custom world it's based in still available for download and working... and have confirmed that the save is working and ready to play, which I'm really excited about. This week I plan on taking the time to get the mods installed and set up how I need them for the story and hopefully put out another chapter.)

Yikes.. I've written far more than I planned on. LOL.. as usual. If possible, and it's ok with everyone that I join, can you guys link a starting place for the stories I need to catch up on so I can get those on my "to read" list?

@IllusoryThrall I know I already said welcome, but I wanted to let you know I've officially added you to the first page and to our reading schedule. What would you like for your author bio and what would you like us to call you? You can see our examples here.

Our reading schedule is here. We just finished discussing Fine Lines from Jojo a.k.a. @xJojox. We are currently reading Sunset Valley's Most Wanted and Holiday by @Simcraft81. The beginning of our current discussion is here. You can find the current featured story here. I try to update that regularly.

We typically read for 7 days and discuss for 3 but discussion can happen whenever. You can put things under spoilers if not everyone is caught up. And feel free to pose questions about your stories, the Sims, or writing in general at any time. Again, welcome to our reading circle! I look forward to reading your story. They sound really interesting.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @AdamsEve1231 and @dancerfreak98 you can change your user names!!! You just have to PM a mod! They will change it for you! If you ask nicely ... and the user name u want is free it will change over will all your current stats and threads ... I would consider PM'ing simgurudrake or maybe simgurubchick, simgurupanda i know heaps of people who have got their user names changed :)
  • Options

@AdamsEve1231 I've got Holiday read, and should be able to get to Most Wanted tonight. Here my bio and my story's info:

Author Bio: I go by IllusoryThrall on the forums, Thrall for short. My origin id is Wyldhawke, feel free to add me. I'm a 40 year old mom to an opinionated and active teenager, and I've been playing Sims since the first one came out. I've been trying to write for my sims since Sims 3, but only recently have I gotten into joining the Simming community. I love animals, too (hence my avatar being of horses - I rode them for a lot of my youth) and currently am owned by an adorable Beagle-Jack Russel mix rescue dog. Other interests include reading (we have an extensive library here), gaming (I play LOTS of different games, Sims just holds top spot for me), and crafting (knitting, crochet, and cross stitch). I've was into creative writing as a teen, and am only recently getting back into it, so I'm having to dust off skills I've not used in quite a while. The story for this group is based in Sims 3, but I also play 4 pretty heavily, and have stories on some of those, too. My current favorite challenge is the Drifter Challenge for Sims 4, and I'm in the process of writing and testing my own spin-off of it (with permission from the author), the Apartment Switch Challenge.

Story Summary: Spectres of the Past

Story Info: Most of my stories are and have been game-driven, and Spectres of the Past was no different when I first started writing it. I got frustrated when the game wouldn't behave the way I wanted to for the story, and stopped writing it for years. Only recently have I found out there's a whole 'nother category of sims writing - Story-Driven... and I finally found a way that I could continue this story I've wanted to write for years. Changing it to story-driven solved all the problems I was having with it, and being that I had kept (for all these years) the save files, screenshots, and notes.. I knew the story was just waiting on me to be ready. It's going to be an adventure, however, writing my first story-driven simlit, and joining this reading circle will hopefully be a big help for me. The story is heavily influenced by the "apocalypse" challenge for Sims 3, and starts as one girl's journey through a world disaster and losing everyone she knew. Eventually, the story will expand with more characters.
  • Options
    FYI *updated chapter 95 and 96 lol :)
  • Options
    @xjojox I haven't forgotten about your latest questions.

@IllusoryThrall good to have you and thanks for reading my stories!

@Dancer-freak thanks for your answers! I'm at work right now but I'm excited to discuss when I get home
  • Options
    xJojox wrote: »
    FYI *updated chapter 95 and 96 lol :)

@xJojox SHOOT! I thought I was close to catching up. Guess I'll need to binge 4 chapters tonight if I can. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @Simcraft81 Your stories are a priority for me this week. I hope to get to reading/answering your questions soon. Trying to get caught up with some work stuff right now, but I'm close to calling it a night so I'll be able to read later. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @IllusoryThrall I updated and added your bio and story info to the home page. :)

@xJojox, @Simcraft81, @Dancer-freak Could you check and make sure your bios/story overviews and links are correctly listed and linked? Or if there's anything you want updated?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @Simcraft81 Your stories are a priority for me this week. I hope to get to reading/answering your questions soon. Trying to get caught up with some work stuff right now, but I'm close to calling it a night so I'll be able to read later. :)

Thanks, @AdamsEve1231 looking forward to your feedback!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SUNSET VALLEY'S MOST WANTED/HOLIDAY DISCUSSION

'The Sims' is an open-ended game and I like to stay true to that. I wanted readers to notice Claire's cleverness despite her personal feelings (Elisa, possibly Xander based on reaction to death etc.) She was actually good at what she did and when she wanted to escape, she used those skills to disappear and perhaps start over with her daughter. Ayesha was concerned about Claire loosing her touch but by sending Ayesha over to Jared's showed how skillful she actually was. Lol she played on her own bitterness to use it as an excuse to keep her from the military base and this was really fun to write about! Basically Ayesha doubted Claire, Claire proved her wrong, Claire subliminally pointed out her mistakes but it's all good and Claire calls it quits. It's actually foreshadowing when you look at the pic of Claire and Ayesha playing chess ;)

Holiday
    I'm so glad to read your response to this story! I had it where I didn't want to flat out say what was going on and let the reader figure it out and you did, meaning it worked lol! Abe was busy back in the day, caught up in work and staying on top. You could say he probably didn't have a lot of fun back then and that side of him was supressed. In this story you can see a lot of interesting things in the photos. Have you noticed where he is when he became distracted? I really liked writing the part about him being determined to get back to Shala lol. I felt it would be inspiring to see someone with that much determination to find that special someone :D!
    Post edited by Simcraft81 on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Game Driven - 'Most Wanted'
    Screenshot-220.jpg
    Screenshot-209.jpg
    Screenshot-226.jpg
  • Options
    @Simcraft81
    1. What are your thoughts on the Final Chapter? I was a little sad that Xander is gone, and I wonder how he died. I also wonder if Claire took Abe's advice to "enjoy life" and left town with her daughter, or if she did the "right" thing and turned herself in... though if she did that, what happened to little Elisa? I was happy that Ayesha felt like she could be family with the Alvis. And that fight was intense with Jared...over and over again. I guess Iqbal (or was it VJ?) didn't want to give up.

2. What are your thoughts on this story as a whole? I liked hearing about things from the criminals' perspective. It was interesting. I think I liked Iqbal Alvi's story best, the first one, because I could see him trying really hard to provide for his family, even if he was going about it in the wrong way. And I do have a soft spot for Ayesha since she is in my stories also. :)

3. What do you think about each chapter introducing a member as well as progressing through the story? I liked this aspect. I think it made it clear and easy to understand who was the focus, plus it gave us a wide view of all the criminals in Sunset Valley. And each character appeared in other segments too which was nice so things weren't left too open-ended, wondering what happened since the previous segment.

4. What do you think about the characters being the focus more than the actual plan to take over the world? It would've been nice to see them attempt to take over the world, or to know more details about the plan. However, I do like character-driven stories, and those are the kind I write, so I understood why you chose this particular route. I liked how each story gave us a snapshot of a character, and made me want just a little more and to figure out more about who they were. It helped me understand their motives and motivations.

Holiday
    My thoughts? Abe was likeable, like you said, a grandpa to the neighborhood. He seemed fun and full of life and energy. I appreciated his concern for his fellow neighbors, and he had gumption telling off the Grim Reaper. :) He seemed like he worked hard to get to where he was at too, which made me like him even more. I appreciate hardworking Sims, even though promotions seem a little too easy in the Sims world. ;) I kinda got the sense though that Abe may have put off enjoying life and taking vacations to work hard since he seems like he's a perfectionist. Maybe that's why he was trying so hard to be joyful and friendly and that's why he was taking a vacation. :) I liked the interspersing of previous times in his life with the present. The coloration was nice too. I wondered about the woman in his past times. I feel like he lost her because he was so focused on work, and that made me sad, but he seems like he's trying to make up for it now and enjoy joie de vive. But the spirit thing confused me a bit... was she a figment of his imagination? Did she die and pass on and he was remembering her as a spirit?

Nabila becoming a "victim of Abe's enthusiasm" cracked me up as I typically don't think of an enthusiastic person inflicting their enthusiasm on their victim, but since Nabila is a reserved Sim, maybe she felt a little overwhelmed. :) And I bet Nabila could just "neglect" to tell her kids she didn't finish her shift. Lol. His date with Shala was very sweet. I liked the roasting their dinner and singing the song. Sounds like a low key, beautiful date. I'm glad he enjoyed his party.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    I have that many stories on my to do list i promise i will get to this @simcraft81
    ive started to read so many stories in the last month and keeping up with my own! haha.

On that note I have updated to chapter 97.