Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Need Help Picking a Laptop

KacePlaysGamesKacePlaysGames Posts: 116 Member
Hello! Recently, my laptop that I had for around 4 years is now broken and completely unusable. Seeing that it's summer (I have nothing to do), and I'll be going off to school in the fall, I'm going to need a new laptop. The only thing I know about my old laptop is that it was a HP Pavilion g7. It ran all of the games I had installed on it extremely well. I'm really unsure about what laptop to buy because I know nothing about technology (I actually got help picking out that laptop in a sims forum). I thought about just buying the same kind of laptop, but I'm not sure if I should, so I could use some guidance on picking a new laptop :)

So, along with Sims 4 and almost all of its expansions, I also have other Origin games and a lot of Steam games I want to work well on the laptop. My price range is maybe around $400-$500. I just want something that I can buy within two to three paychecks. But, depending on what comes up, my price range could fluctuate.

Thank you in advance!
Post edited by KacePlaysGames on

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    You cant change hardware in a laptop you are stuck with the specs you buy. As this game adds more and more it will become more and more demanding. To survive this game as it adds more and more you need a gaming laptop. These run $1000 average depending on sales. This game is not even close to being finished. The games requirements are a mid range gaming desktop and laptops are weaker than desktop. $400-500 price range will not buy you a laptop that will survive this game. You will be stuck with a low end laptop that can no longer run the game and a game you can no longer play. Desktops are always better and more powerful for gaming and they are also cheaper than laptops. Some desktops depending on case can also be upgraded unlike a laptop. Desktops to run this game $600-700 and up.
    Newegg charges no tax outside CA. TN , NJ

examples

you need something like this on laptop or better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154112&cm_re=960m-_-34-154-112-_-Product

you need something like this on desktop or better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227507
  • KacePlaysGamesKacePlaysGames Posts: 116 Member
    Thanks for the reply. I'll put your input into consideration. Although, I would prefer a laptop over a desktop because of the mobility.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    Go for at least one with a 4G video card. It has made a great difference to my enjoyment of games.
    Your welcome. I understand with the laptop but they do cost more to run this game as it adds more and more and you can't upgrade a laptop. You need to make sure the laptop has the specs you need for future game add ons or you will be stuck with a laptop that may no longer run the game in the future. They charge more money for being compact and mobile
  • Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    1+ for what phoebebebe13 has told you about prices. $500 won't buy you squat when it comes to a laptop. Think of it this way: you can buy a nice, more expensive laptop once, or you can buy a cheap laptop that has to keep being replaced multiple times. A $500 laptop won't last. When you have to replace it, are you going to buy the same model again? (Probably/hopefully not!) You'll then know to buy a better one and you now have a $500 paperweight. (Note that warranties and such do not cover damage inflicted by you trying to use a cheap laptop for something it wasn't made for.) That first $500 could have been tacked on to the cost of the second new laptop if you had only waited and saved a bit longer, getting you an even better machine.

(Not to mention, saving yourself the stress of recognizing that your new computer is dying.)

That being said, you may actually want to wait until you are in school - or at least until you have school credentials. I was able to buy my HP Pavillion several years back at a student discount rate, which knocked several hundred dollars off. (From what I've seen, most of the time if a student discount is available, you just need to register with a .edu email address.)
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    It depends on what else you want to do with your PC, but the gaming PCs of today take one hell of a powerful graphics card, and it'll save a lot of time to come with at least 16GB of RAM and preferably 32. Or more.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    Loanet wrote: »
    It depends on what else you want to do with your PC, but the gaming PCs of today take one hell of a powerful graphics card, and it'll save a lot of time to come with at least 16GB of RAM and preferably 32. Or more.

No one needs more than 8gb computer ram for gaming. Anything more than that is for someone who multi tasks
  • KaraStarsKaraStars Posts: 242 Member
    This site might help http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/gaming-pc?sid=B00YRY8KDE&region=gb&refid=1225&item=12305&filter1=all&filter2=1&filter3=asc but I would still search around just to double check. I think they might be out of your price range though
    My CC
    KaraStars on the Gallery
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,453 Member
    edited May 2016
    I recommend to wait until both AMD and NVidia releases their next generation of GPUs for laptops since they're near to be released.

I also recommend that you save up, since you won't be able to find a laptop that would be able to survive (and possibly too weak) to be able to run the Sims 4 within the $400-$500 price range. :)
    Post edited by Colton147147 on
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
    Well thank you all for your input. I realize now it was unrealistic for me to get a laptop with that little money. I thought Id be able to buy something within 2 or 3 paychecks, but that aint happening :P I really need to start saving up. It just sucks not having anything to do.
    Well thank you all for your input. I realize now it was unrealistic for me to get a laptop with that little money. I thought Id be able to buy something within 2 or 3 paychecks, but that aint happening :P I really need to start saving up. It just sucks not having anything to do.

That is your best bet is to save up if you must have a laptop. You will be thankful you did. I did not play my games for a long time to save up for a computer that could play my games. What games are you playing on steam? If they are heavier games you would be better off with desktop since gaming laptops are weaker than desktop. The laptops that can run heavier games than the sims run into the $2,000 range where you can get a desktop to run heavier games for about $1200
    I played Stardew Valley and Left 4 Dead 2 mostly, with other games like Portal, Party Hard. And on origin I played sims 2 and PvZ Garden Warfare. The laptop I had ran all my games pretty much perfectly. The only game I ever had graphical issues with was GTA V. The laptop I had wasn't a gaming laptop, and there were overheating problems, but overall it was a great laptop (and it was around $700-$800).
    edited May 2016
    GTA V is one of the heavier games and is heavier than the sims games. That you would need a more expensive laptop to play efficiently. Having a video card with at least 4gb vram on the card so you would need like GTX 970m or 980m and an i7 processor which will run around $1500- $2000 average depending on sales
  • Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    I played Stardew Valley and Left 4 Dead 2 mostly, with other games like Portal, Party Hard. And on origin I played sims 2 and PvZ Garden Warfare. The laptop I had ran all my games pretty much perfectly. The only game I ever had graphical issues with was GTA V. The laptop I had wasn't a gaming laptop, and there were overheating problems, but overall it was a great laptop (and it was around $700-$800).

For comparison, the MSRP on my Pavillion (full spec'd at the time) was over $1,600, and a Pavillion is certainly not a gaming laptop. (And it is possible to over-spec a machine, as I found out... my laptop can get so hot that it's uncomfortable to touch for more than a couple of seconds.) Actual gaming laptops have bigger housings to allow for airflow, and beefed up cooling systems as well. I've always heard good things about Asus Republic of Gamers line, which I see on sale quite often for around $1k.

Almost any brand's "high performance" models can be spec'd into gaming territory, just be aware that the housings and thermal systems are usually designed for the base model. (And with new hardware constantly coming out, manufacturers are more prone to "can we shove this component in there, and will it still run" rather than giving each configuration an appropriately unique thermal system.
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
    Nearia35 wrote: »

For comparison, the MSRP on my Pavillion (full spec'd at the time) was over $1,600, and a Pavillion is certainly not a gaming laptop. (And it is possible to over-spec a machine, as I found out... my laptop can get so hot that it's uncomfortable to touch for more than a couple of seconds.) Actual gaming laptops have bigger housings to allow for airflow, and beefed up cooling systems as well. I've always heard good things about Asus Republic of Gamers line, which I see on sale quite often for around $1k.

Almost any brand's "high performance" models can be spec'd into gaming territory, just be aware that the housings and thermal systems are usually designed for the base model. (And with new hardware constantly coming out, manufacturers are more prone to "can we shove this component in there, and will it still run" rather than giving each configuration an appropriately unique thermal system.

I have an Asus ROG it has great cooling, never a heating issue without a cooling pad however TS4 has issues with some laptops heating up CPU. Its the game not the laptop. Im sure you have read some threads on this issue. We have run several tests on this issue and unfortunately my laptop is effected by this game. TS4 for reasons unk is cpu heavy even on desktop but worse on laptop
  • ForEmaleighForEmaleigh Posts: 33 Member
    I need help and I've been digging around "answered" posts all morning....im too new to post a question of my own. I need a laptop under $600 that will play either/or Sims 3/4. It will be the only item loaded to the laptop and the laptop will likely only be used to access the Internet, browse the Internet and maybe watch a movie. The game will probably be played an hour at a time....it's possible it would be on up to 2-3hr but i don't foresee it. I've read I might need a cooling pad? I cannot do a desktop. This is going to be for myself and a 4yr old child. She's enchanted with the Sims and I think this is just the thing to help her pass the time. I cannot decide between 3 and 4. I think she would like the seasons and the ability to move about towns and watch interactions on auto that I've read about in sims3 but I'm concerned about crashes....sims4 doesn't seem to have more to offer those who like mods and building? I haven't played since early into sims2 so I'm really lost as to which one to get. Are they still improving on the sims 4? (Adding packs etc.....I didn't see a season pack). I cannot do a desktop, we MUST have portability.....laptop help AND deciding which game...please?
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited March 2017
    I need help and I've been digging around "answered" posts all morning....im too new to post a question of my own. I need a laptop under $600 that will play either/or Sims 3/4. It will be the only item loaded to the laptop and the laptop will likely only be used to access the Internet, browse the Internet and maybe watch a movie. The game will probably be played an hour at a time....it's possible it would be on up to 2-3hr but i don't foresee it. I've read I might need a cooling pad? I cannot do a desktop. This is going to be for myself and a 4yr old child. She's enchanted with the Sims and I think this is just the thing to help her pass the time. I cannot decide between 3 and 4. I think she would like the seasons and the ability to move about towns and watch interactions on auto that I've read about in sims3 but I'm concerned about crashes....sims4 doesn't seem to have more to offer those who like mods and building? I haven't played since early into sims2 so I'm really lost as to which one to get. Are they still improving on the sims 4? (Adding packs etc.....I didn't see a season pack). I cannot do a desktop, we MUST have portability.....laptop help AND deciding which game...please?

Laptops under $600 aren't going to play these games well and can make your laptop overwork and die earlier than it woudl otherwise so you have to replace it sooner - they're heavy users of non-integrated graphics cards (which are rare on cheaper laptops to begin with) and of CPUs. In the US, you could possibly manage a desktop system at $600 (I'm not sure if that includes monitor and keyboard, though). Portability adds significant cost for equivalent power and is more expensive in the long run too because you can't just replace a part of a laptop like you can a desktop system.

Yes, packs are still coming out for Sims 4. Evidence suggests that a Pets EP is in the works at the moment.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    A desktop really isn't a good option. I guess it would be good at home but lately we aren't here very much. Is there nothing that will play is in less than "optimal" mode that won't break the bank? I really think this would be the perfect escape for her. I would do the sims4 and we could wait for pets and snow....I just loaded free play on her iPad. I hope that may have more interaction. She saw a video that had babies, toddlers, kids. She gets so little interaction with kids her age.....this would at least let her experience some things she's not able to. Or if anything....FEEL like she is. If I bumped up my budget to $800 and held out a month to save for it....I think my total investment would still be around $1000 for the games, expansions. For her? It's worth it. Is $800 a workable range? If so, what would you recommend? Links? I'm sorry. I just need a little help with this and have browsed the other questions similar. I'm finding mostly answers that are years old and I had hoped newer laptops had progressed enough to support the game and possibly be less expensive. Two weeks of her treatments add up to one AMAZING laptop....but? Those chemo treatments come before a laptop of course. I hate cancer. I wish my baby could just go out and DO all these things rather than play pretend in a game....but if that's all I can give her I will find a way.
    And now I'm a crying mess because I'm sitting here trying to find a way to play a life simulation game for a toddler who can't really experience all the things life offers for her. She can't be a kid. She watches YouTube of kids playing....at least with s sims game that has kids IN IT she can enjoy some things. She's about to try freeolay. Maybe that will be fun. She saw a doctors update and I didn't even SEE that download option for free play when we got the basic iPad app for sims three. Sigh.
    We shall see. Thank you for your honesty. I'm stil going to keep searching.
  • WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    I'm sorry to hear that your kid have cancer @ForEmaleigh , its a very ugly illness and I hope she will get better soon. Both of you deserve it.

I think bumping it to 800 would be better, where do you live at? Maybe I can find something(:
    Thank you. We have been at it for only a few months. Adjusting to being stuck in the house (we now refer to it as the bat cave) hasn't been fun. Her blood counts are very low right now, have been for weeks and during that time she can't even go to the mailbox without a mask or out to the park AT ALL.
    We live in north east Alabama, USA.
    She is loving this free play :) it DEF is a step up from the sims3 app. She's amazed with it. We just started a game but she's already asking me to "did the hospital". I swear I saw that. Funny how we practically LIVE in the hospital but that's the one thing she is jumping to see with this game. I will have to visit the Facebook ad I saw.
    Ha....well she's NOT loving that u HAVE to "wait" a specific time to complete every task. It looks great but it's restrictive.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    I'm sorry to hear that your kid have cancer @ForEmaleigh , its a very ugly illness and I hope she will get better soon. Both of you deserve it.

I think bumping it to 800 would be better, where do you live at? Maybe I can find something(:

Probably worth looking at what's available used as well!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.