Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a negative atmosphere on this forum?

Do you feel like there is a lot of rudeness here or do you feel the experience here is good?

Comments

• CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    There is rudeness everywhere, in every forum.
    The "negative atmosphere" isn't the actual forum, it is the posts imo. And I don't think it is really that negative at all here seeing as we do have a lot of happy threads and happy people, If you look on other parts of the forum apart from the TS4 section (which does have happy people but there can be negative posts/threads too just like any other forum) you will find lot more positive energy imo. I personally do think though that this community is being given a bad name however due to the way people treat this community and talk about this community as you'll frequently see people highlighting many negatives here and not the positives but idk thats just me.
    giphy_1.gif
  • jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    I'm pretty sure the WoW community forums were worse than here. That said it can be a bit hit and miss in general. Other sub forums seem much more positive.
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Do you feel like there is a lot of rudeness here or do you feel the experience here is good?

Sometimes but you can choose not to feed into it. Most people don't feed into it thankfully it is down to a handful
    MrMonty96 wrote: »
    I think the simming community is the most toxic of all game groups. Even after the addition of toddlers.

WoW forums are way, way way WAY worse than even a bad day on these forums. In reality the Sims community is one of the more friendly and supportive ones. You can find ugliness anywhere but that doesn't mean it represents the community.
    I'm pretty sure the WoW community forums were worse than here. That said it can be a bit hit and miss in general. Other sub forums seem much more positive.

High-five and a hip bump, you got that right! I can't stand to go to general in WoW anymore.

wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,648 Member
    for the most part, my experience here on the forums has been great. i personally haven't experienced any rudeness. then again, although i've been a simmer for over six years, i've just recently been spending some time on the forums.

for me, my "negative" posts have been when reporting a bug. i'm not disrespectful when doing so, just letting them know about a problem i'm having.
  • cynclacyncla Posts: 1,117 Member
    Things stir up and come to a boiling point off and on here but mostly , in MY opinion , we share , we laugh ,we ask questions, we Sim - it's all good.
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,648 Member
    cyncla wrote: »
    Things stir up and come to a boiling point off and on here but mostly , in MY opinion , we share , we laugh ,we ask questions, we Sim - it's all good.

very well stated. my experience exactly.
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member

I don't think in general there is a lot of rudeness. Things only become rude when Simmers are personally attacked which isn't a daily occurrence, so I'd say generally good.

On the old forums, I hardly saw any negativity but that is probably because I spent my time in the gift gathering section where all the contests took place.

What I'd like to know is what Guru is meant to be around for any issues or questions because you can't get one to show up apart from in the tech section or during/after a new pack/patch release for love nor money. I think that's more frustrating than some "negative" threads that are on the forums. Their code of silence boggles the mind.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Prior to the toddler update, it definitely was toxic. Since then, however, things seems to have cooled down some. I'm all for that. I can actually browse around for awhile now. We still get an occassional super negative thread, but it usually treads around old stuff that no longer applies, like how the game launched years ago instead of how it is now.

Most of the yelling/protesting crowd lost their fire when their biggest log on the burner, no toddlers, finally burned away. The remaining seemed to be into the vamps, so... yeah. Good timing all around, really. I just hope it stays this way for awhile.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • sallysimnamonsallysimnamon Posts: 81 Member
    I feel that it's something across many different fanbase communities, to be honest. I personally haven't had an awfully bad experience within the Simming community but, then again, I'm someone who just follows peoples' blogs for their content and don't tend to pay very much attention to any "drama" going on between players. It's something that's difficult to avoid however, especially if you're part of many fanbases. I've certainly had my fair share of arguments and debates in the past but now it doesn't even phase me one bit because I've found it's too much wasted effort trying to share your views with people who are evidently too ignorant to acknowledge an opinion which isn't theirs and is therefore wrong as far as they're concerned. Unfortunately you'll find that there's quite a handful of these people wherever you go and really, as long as you're enjoying what you're doing and you feel comfortable, welcomed and happy amongst the majority who just want to have a polite and fun conversation about whatever you all share a mutual interest in, whether it be a game, a celebrity and so on, then you shouldn't let a negative minority ruin your time on forums and social media in general. I haven't been on the Sims forums in a good few years but from what I can remember, everyone was generally quite friendly and welcomed newcomers with open arms. Then again, that was back during the times of the Sims 3 forums so I'm not too sure how much it's changed but I'm all for being the bigger person and just ignoring someone who may wish to pick an unnecessary fight. It's not worth my time or effort, as I said, when I could be engaging in a better conversation with nicer people or enjoying what I like about my game in peace.
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    All online forums are really positive places, except when you come accross a troll...
    But if you post something wrong, people will correct you. I find that a really nice feature because you can at least learn from it :)
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
    All in all, I love this community. There are a few trolls, but as long as you don't feed them, they will go away.
    :heart: Simmers
  • ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    edited March 2017
    No, I don't think there is a negative atmosphere at all but it used to be really toxic on the old forums, a real snakepit. Some of the toxicity started spilling over into the new forums, too, but most of the trolls were stopped in their tracks with the new post quota, which were put in place when some trolls were abusing the image feature and posting nasty images all over the place.

So the forums today are not only much better than they used to be, they're a dream to post on. Yes, there are a few obnoxious posters but there are maybe--what, a tiny handful who regularly post--compared to the dozens back in the day. And of those posters, I don't even find them negative or toxic, just kind of pathetic to be quite honest.

My suggestion, OP, is that if you find certain posters "negative" or "toxic" that it's better to just put them on ignore than to post a thread calling attention to the fact that they're there. Muting posters makes a world of difference, believe me.
    EiFlric.png
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,593 Member
    A few 🐸🐸🐸🐸 in the punch bowl, sure but overall its pretty tame.
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    There is a handful of trolls, it's unavoidable, but compared to other forums, it could be so much worse. Even local trolls aren't even 1/10th as mean as some I've met on some communities.
    Look at large forums that allow discussing politics, with bullies who harass and even sometimes push some users to do something tragic, because moderators don't show any sign of life, now this is what I call a toxic atmosphere. Here people argue about the Sims, beyond the occasional rudeness and some silly arguments, it's nothing serious in the end... And I appreciate it, it's still fun to be there and to share creativity :smile:
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited March 2017
    emmaning wrote: »
    All online forums are really positive places, except when you come accross a troll...
    But if you post something wrong, people will correct you. I find that a really nice feature because you can at least learn from it :)

I kind of agree with this - if the OP is at all referring back to her post in the tech section, these responses were actually normal & not toxic. And the post would've been better off in the off topic section anyway, but all that aside: I don't find these forums any more toxic than most other forums I'm on & they are definitely a million times less toxic than some subreddits or even 9gag. After all, we do all share the same basic interest here & I think there's tons of cool threads full of excitement, happiness, and wild screenshot sharing, so I've got no qualms about it. Even people who were asking for toddlers weren't toxic to me, and in 2014 I wasn't here so I wouldn't know, but apparently it was rather unpleasant around that time. But in the end: forums are places where people come together to discuss things, and if everyone had exactly the same identical opinion on everything, there wouldn't be much left to discuss. Not even which hair piece you like best, or what kind of sim your sims should marry. What I think would help all the forums in the world, not just this one, is if people could stop confusing someone disagreeing with their point of view with them being attacked by someone. If a person doesn't want anyone disagreeing with them, or can't accept others seeing things differently than they do, or can't accept that others may not only want different things but also have an equal right to express that if they so choose, then maybe a forum isn't the right place for such a person. Any forum. Not just this one.
  • Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    No , in general the kindness exeeds the rudeness by far.
    If you need help there are many simmers out their taking their time to help you out and answer any questions you have. If you run into rudeness just move along.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member
    I think it's much improved with the toddler update. I'm usually positive on the Sims 4 when I post at all, but I've been kind of perplexed by these recent threads about negativity on Sims 4 here in the last week or so - I honestly don't feel that way anymore and I think things are pretty balanced. The criticisms mostly seem genuine and constructive to me, that's not to say there's never any trolling hate for everything Sims 4, but it doesn't really seem any worse than other games with large fan bases now. I just feel like there's a lot more constructive criticism now that every thread doesn't turn into a debate about the dread T-word (no longer!).
    OriginID: CrunchedStars
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I've experienced no rudeness on here, but I do agree that there are too many unnecessary threads created by disgruntled simmers bored with the game. They should turn a negative into a positive and instead of berating a good game they should ask for ideas to enhance it.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2017

I think your post is off topic and has nothing to do with general discussion about 'the game' but the people here, which is probably against the rules.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SSDSSDSSD2SSDSSDSSD2 Posts: 217 Member
    There are worse gaming communities out there. The Sims is probably one of the most tolerant games there is; you can do whatever you want.
  • BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I think your post is off topic and has nothing to do with general discussion about 'the game' but the people here, which is probably against the rules.

A great example of rudeness. No one is being targeted here. If you dont like the topic you dont have to be a part of it and if they moderators think this is so inappropriate, then i will wait until i hear from them. Right now, im well within my rights to talk about this topic.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top