Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    You did a great job on that @MiaSkywalker. I love it. The wood, the wine cellar, the attic alchemy, that counter seating... just wonderful!
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @MiaSkywalker

Here it is

Canterwell Stables
    80 Shillelagh Street, Dragon Valley

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9057192

I have 42 pictures of this, so I am going to only post a few of them and a link to the Photobucket slideshow for the rest. I think you already have a good idea of what you are getting ;)

Let's start with a walk around of the property
    Canterwell%20Stables%2001%201_zpspq4fe9zi.jpg

Canterwell%20Stables%2001%202_zpsxfa11piq.jpg

Canterwell%20Stables%2001%204_zpsc8br9sv1.jpg

Here's a couple from up above
    Main house, stable, garden, chickens, cows, workshop,Canterwell%20Stables%2001%209_zps0pg5ygxm.jpg

First floor - Main living area with kitchen, seating areas and wood burning fire and an outhouse,
    Canterwell%20Stables%2002%203_zpskix5brjj.jpg

Second floor - two bedrooms, bathing room, desk area
    Canterwell%20Stables%2002%204_zpsx3upihvb.jpg

Let's take a closer look inside
    The living area
    Canterwell%20Stables%2003%202_zps0eumi6vk.jpg

Canterwell%20Stables%2003%203_zps1z7unqb3.jpg

Canterwell%20Stables%2003%205_zpsgsdnxdrw.jpg

Canterwell%20Stables%2004%205a_zpsw0r1nm1o.jpg

Canterwell%20Stables%2004%208_zpski2ioduj.jpg

Canterwell%20Stables%2004%206_zpsrluy27zc.jpg

Canterwell%20Stables%2004%203_zps5vyhcqqx.jpg

There is more to see here if you like - http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/KGaff/slideshow/Canterwell Stable

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had to test the lot so I randomized until I got a sim that was accecptable and then randomized for a name -
    Jansen Meade - sounds good to me so here he is testing a few of the items found in and around the stable
    Checking on the chickens
    Tester%20Sim%2002%202_zpscdemmjam.jpg
    Working on his aim
    Tester%20Sim%2002%208_zps2bsfk7oc.jpg
    Gotta have some nectar
    Tester%20Sim%2002%209_zpsrn0jjuxa.jpg
    Shower time
    Tester%20Sim%2002%201_zpsqyv0imty.jpg
    Dinner time, ah chocolate pie
    Tester%20Sim%2002%205_zpsuii8ivfn.jpg

Jasen found something on or near the property
    Wow, a black dragon
    Tester%20Sim%2002%2012_zpssymnzydg.jpg

So there you are MiaSkywalker, I do hope you enjoy this and are able to use it somewhere in one of your medieval worlds. It was fun to make and fun to play while I tested.

Great job, @Kgaff. It's fantastic! I love the inclusion of the archery and the cows.
    ciane wrote: »
    Great job, @Kgaff. It's fantastic! I love the inclusion of the archery and the cows.

Thank you! I think the house you made for Hannah is one of your best! I love the back the best, and the recolor of the sofa!! It took me ages to recognize it!
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    Oh. My. Goodness.
    I see a lot of...
    99bc431208e0ba2246a10b32c509f2d4.jpg

Will go through and peek, then comment but I need to turn in my 'homework' first! ;)
    edited March 2017
    @creativemetaphor
    Hello :)

While we haven’t ‘met’ before, our paths have crossed in other threads where building & sharing is going on. Your builds are very creative and filled with great attention to detail. Your builds seem to say, “download me and explore, you won’t be disappointed!”

A build for you should fill that criteria, too. You’ll have to wait a bit until some of the other talented builders reveal their builds for you and then … just kidding! Not about the other builders being talented because they are very talented, but this build should hopefully meet those needs too.

Your letter gave plenty of ideas to work with, thank YOU, and while researching Victorian builds… yes, Victorian because the original plans were for something else entirely … an idea for making a school kept trying to get my attention. Aurora Skies, maybe. Began researching their school system but saw that you planned to make a Scandinavian home for ciane. How interesting it was that we both thought of doing Scan design around the same time, but I didn’t want mine to feel like a copycat theme so time to shift gears a little bit by picking another town. That’s pretty much when Monte Vista stepped forward and poked my shoulder … hard. **ouch**
    A school for Monte Vista. Quanto perfetto! (How perfect!)

Scuola Metafora, home of the Mighty Marsupials, replaces the school rabbit hole at 714 Bella Vista Drive in beautiful Monte Vista. This large 60x60 lot overlooks the nearby campo da calcio (soccer field) and will easily meet the needs of the neighborhood.

SM%20Front1_zps8liqbbkg.jpg
    Download Link: Scuola Metafora

“The next tour is about to begin. Please follow me!”
    f7d14bf3-bd1a-40d4-8135-b4578d570ded_zpsfzmg6l0i.jpg

“Garden is to the left of the school, providing fresh produce for the cafeteria as well as materials for science experiments and projects. It’s maintained by the staff and students.”
    SM%20FrontL1_zpsbilktswn.jpg

“The Sports Complex is to the right of the school. Behind the track and field is the Athletic Building with the Concession Area adjacent to it.”
    SM%20FrontR1_zpsv1i4nmqq.jpg

“Stand Seating overlooks both fields. Access gates are located near the Ticket Booth.”
    SM%20FrontR2_zpssnocrpjr.jpg
    2590d806-3d18-4c71-aff6-ecc04d755e4c_zpskmlrjsb8.jpg
    SM%20StandL_zpsug7uf0fg.jpg
    SM%20StandR_zpslsbcvcg0.jpg
    SM%20StandR2_zpsyxmoxaqk.jpg
    ae9f1287-f70c-448d-aed3-d9e62e45ad0e_zpsmeayxgye.jpg
    c6d685ac-cd0b-4e04-a27c-9094b4b41b1b_zpsqkmvpkn5.jpg
    SM%20StandAnnouncerOutside_zpsyseb71l6.jpg
    SM%20StandAnnouncerInside_zpsjt7bh2rw.jpg

“Fans feeling the need to nosh can head on over to the Concession Area.”
    SM%20StandBack_zpsrc0qh8yj.jpg
    05a97d9c-eafb-4524-ac76-dd7e4dfc84f1_zps7wunqa7l.jpg
    SM%20Concession1_zpsqx3xphyo.jpg
    SM%20Concession2_zpsqxdcebvm.jpg
    SM%20Concession3_zps3lczihx5.jpg

“Fans in need of a quick freshen up can head over to the Athletic Building. Our athletes also have a workout area and individual shower/changing rooms in this building.”
    4e1c898f-8f50-419c-9e0a-f46374f085c4_zpspzoir9d2.jpg
    SM%20AthleteFoyer_zpsoseakvzz.jpg
    SM%20AthleteBath1_zpstgfb8q2n.jpg
    SM%20AthleteBath2_zpsrals7uas.jpg
    SM%20AthleteWorkout1_zpsqrvs00dj.jpg
    SM%20AthleteWorkout2_zpswtxdbueb.jpg
    SM%20AthleteShower1_zps5hwjjjud.jpg
    SM%20AthleteShower2_zps9pqo91yd.jpg

“Students get time to play outside each day and those not interested in watching the athletes play can come enjoy the perks of the playground.”
    SM%20Playground1_zps1yoz1qyd.jpg
    SM%20Playground2_zpspijfk6ly.jpg

“Let’s head inside the building now so you can see everything this school has to offer!”

“Our friendly receptionists greet students and visitors, giving directions or answering questions.”
    SM%20Reception_zpsvd0cnm4v.jpg

“Behind the Reception Area is a stairwell. Downstairs is the basement with a couple of workshop classrooms. We’ll go there before exploring this floor or heading upstairs. Follow me and please watch your step.”
    fc0c5b44-a182-4579-90b3-5279da5345f7_zpszkjjmw0f.jpg

“To the left are the workshop classrooms for Sculpting and Inventing.”
    SM%20BasementSculpting_zpsxmgxkufr.jpg
    SM%20BasementInventing_zpsjyvb8gue.jpg

Addy’s Note: I used the school building from the bin because it fits in a smaller space and made sure there was space on every side of the building in case sims go out the back door. Tested this build with a family of 8, 1 adult and 7 children. The adult accepted a job in the Education career and went to work without any problems. The children had no issues going to school. During my testing, a townie sim stopped on the stairs so the household adult had to go down the stairs and up the other side to exit so perhaps you might want to consider removing the railing in the center of the stairs if this becomes an issue.

“Let’s return to the 1st Floor. Again, please watch your step.”

“The 1st Floor has a Pre-School Classroom, Science Classroom, Music Classroom, Secretary & Principal’s Offices, Cafeteria and plenty of bathrooms.
    c55c8f6c-1da5-4f85-94e1-e83498084789_zpswmwgyeh1.jpg

“Please follow me to see each room.”
    “Our Pre-School Classroom can easily accommodate four toddlers with one teacher and teacher’s aide.”
    SM%20Preschool2_zpsqazgkfpn.jpg
    SM%20Preschool1_zps8hyxemo4.jpg

Addy’s Note: Tested this room with a family of 8 sims, 4 adults and 4 toddlers. Could easily toilet train all of them at the same time! I also tested with fewer adults to handle the four toddlers.

“Here is a quick peek into the Boys’ Bathroom and then the Girls’ Bathroom.”
    SM%20Boys_zpsrkbqqvbf.jpg
    SM%20Girls_zpsoel8d1r9.jpg

Addy’s Note: Since the bathrooms look similar, I will show one picture for each gender. Each classroom has direct access to two bathrooms and the hallways have access to two bathrooms as well.

“Classrooms accommodate 12 students and one teacher, except for the Music and Art Classrooms that accommodate 6 students and one teacher.”

“As I mentioned before, our Science Classroom has access to the School Garden.”
    SM%20Science_zpsqoerurmd.jpg

“The smaller class ratio for Music (and Art!) allows for more in-depth lessons.”
    SM%20Music1_zpss9rkfj33.jpg
    SM%20Music2_zpskf75jm1r.jpg

“The School Secretary is the one to see regarding daily announcements, student records or making an appointment to see the Principal.”
    SM%20Secretary1_zpsupe6o4is.jpg
    SM%20Secretary2_zpsibjsvmib.jpg

“Visitors waiting to see the Principal may use the facilities here.”
    SM%20OfficeBath_zpsyk7xcsiu.jpg

“Our Principal is often seen sitting at the round table having an informal one-to-one chat with a student or parent.”
    SM%20Principal1_zpszaw49zws.jpg
    SM%20Principal2_zpsyk0msl2w.jpg

“This is the Principal’s Bathroom, but I’m sure a visitor can use it in case of an emergency.”
    SM%20PrincipalBath_zpsodhzguf0.jpg

“The Cafeteria is more than an area where classes gather to eat. Our Principal holds school assemblies and hosts after-school lectures. Plays and holiday concerts are performed as well as the student favorite, the annual ‘Puzzle the Principal’ event where the students toss trivia questions and hope to outwit the Principal and outlast their competition to earn the prize and be ‘Principal for a Day’!”
    SM%20Cafeteria1_zps0yqiauys.jpg
    SM%20Cafeteria2_zpsfwxqmver.jpg

“The cafeteria staff prepares delicious meals using quality ingredients like those found in our school garden. They have their own facilities and laundry area.”
    SM%20Cafeteria3_zpsrcocfzrd.jpg
    SM%20Cafeteria4_zpspkezqqrl.jpg
    SM%20Cafeteria5_zpsej8qkpom.jpg

Addy’s Note: Oops! I just noticed some of the pictures show an out of place recycling bin. Went back into game and made sure the upload won’t have this, but I’m going to leave the pictures as is since they’re already in order in Photobucket and I’d rather not confuse myself by having to hunt the replacement pictures.

“Let’s head upstairs now. Please watch your step.”

“The 2nd Floor has a landing with additional lockers, Geography Classroom, History Classroom, Art Classroom, Journalism Classroom, Teacher Lounge and Library in additional to bathrooms.”
    690c43a8-2a11-477c-af39-129a35886c2b_zpsag3mufwp.jpg
    “The 2nd Floor Landing provides a wonderful peek into our amazing library, but that will be the last stop on this tour because once you enter… you’ll never want to leave!”
    SM%202ndFloorLanding_zpstr4ojto7.jpg

“The Geography Classroom has plenty of wall space for hanging student photographs taken during field trips to local businesses and points of interest.”
    SM%20Geography_zps6ygyeo5t.jpg

“The History Classroom has many relics from Al Simhara, Champs Les Sims and Shang Simla.”
    SM%20History_zpslu9ebfp4.jpg

“Students in the Art Classroom can take inspiration from still life models, field trip photographs or sketching something from their imagination before stepping up to the easels.”
    SM%20Art1_zpsxcouh59i.jpg
    SM%20Art2_zpsujtbb9fv.jpg

Addy’s Note: The Music Classroom and Art Classroom were tested by a family of 7 sims, 1 adult and 6 teens. These rooms were originally designed to accommodate 12 students, but testing revealed routing issues so I decided that a smaller student ratio would work better than trying to grab space from a neighboring area.

“The Journalism Classroom is very hands-on. Students learn while working on creating the school newspaper, ‘The Vista View’, which is popular with students and members of our community.”
    SM%20Journalism_zps3sal02ed.jpg

Addy’s Note: My daughter came up with the name for the school paper!

“Teachers can relax and socialize in the lounge before or after their workday.”
    SM%20Teacher1_zpsymjkt3du.jpg
    SM%20Teacher2_zpsqlnp9xtj.jpg

“Now for the cavallo di battaglia (piece de resistance) … the school library!”

“Two librarians help answer questions and check-out books.”
    SM%20Library1_zpsmrtowby1.jpg

“To the right of their station is a section on literature and entry to the exhibit area. The exhibit area can showcase student artwork or science projects.”
    SM%20Library2_zps9vp5riu6.jpg
    SM%20Library3_zpspqdpt3jw.jpg

“In the middle of the room is the popular reading circle, surrounded by children’s books and comic books.
    SM%20Library4_zpscb5mpncl.jpg

“To the left of the librarian’s station is another section on literature and doorways leading to individual study rooms.”
    SM%20Library5_zps3dvfkzhy.jpg
    SM%20Library6_zpswyl45npg.jpg

Addy’s Note: Here are a few fun screenshots taken during testing.
    SM%20Action1_zps09tnogli.jpg
    SM%20Action2_zps1l6mwmbp.jpg
    SM%20Action3_zpsn5ghpxch.jpg

“That concludes our tour. Hopefully you enjoyed yourself and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the school office during normal operating hours. We look forward to enrolling your child or children in our wonderful program! Arrivederci!”
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited March 2017
    Kgaff wrote: »
    @MiaSkywalker

Here it is

Canterwell Stables
    80 Shillelagh Street, Dragon Valley
    Oh my! I love the layout, and the color choices were perfect! I was surprised at how hand-woven that round rug looks with the pattern on it. Is that a rug with a preset? I don't recall it offhand.

And, of course: cows, chickens, and a garden. Perfect for a medieval Sim! I hadn't realized there was an archery range on the lot until I saw the pictures of your Sim using it. Oh, I see - it's inside! And you included the nectar maker - I love making nectar! So you've got all my favorite things in one lot! :D.

That Jansen Meade of yours is a cutie. :) I love his newfound dragon friend!
    ADWilson wrote: »
    @creativemetaphor
    Scuola Metafora, home of the Mighty Marsupials, replaces the school rabbit hole at 714 Bella Vista Drive in beautiful Monte Vista. This large 60x60 lot overlooks the nearby campo da calcio (soccer field) and will easily meet the needs of the neighborhood.
    I absolutely LOVE that you have so many skilling objects on this lot. One of the problems with a starter is that you can't afford many - if any - skilling objects. But with a community lot like this, who needs 'em? :) My hobo could LIVE on that lot, and never have to go home or get a job!

Your layout is GREAT, and I can see it's going to need to be explored fully to see what all it has.

<3<3<3<3<3
    (Just thought it deserved a five-heart review!)
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    edited March 2017
    @ADWilson Without even consulting a thesaurus, the words which spring to mind are AMAZING, FANTASTIC, PERFECT, OMG! WOW!, BEAUTIFUL! LOVE IT!

I can't even begin to thank you for all the hard work and attention you put into this, every detail is so well considered, and as if the build itself wasn't amazing enough, the story you had for every single piece is just astounding! I was just floored with the beautiful picture windows between the hallway and the library - that just stood out to me instantly.

I love how each classroom is so much *that* subject!

I am going to have to make a whole house full of kids to attend this school! This is truly unbelievable work! Five heart review indeed! <3<3<3<3<3

@creativemetaphor ~ What a beautiful home! It suits Aurora Skies really well. <3 all the gorgeous views that can be seen from the windows ... I want to live in this house! It gives off a very relaxed and peaceful vibe, so nice for sims after a long day at work. Thank YOU for showing us how to make a walk-in shower. What a clever idea!!!

@ciane ~ The wood exterior and interesting roofing catches one's attention! The curb appeal definitely does NOT stop at the curb. The layout provides plenty of room for a family to relax and entertain friends. <3 the loft and 2-story fireplace in the main living area. Sims won't be bored or wondering what they can do when living in this home.

@Kgaff ~ Your medieval stable is marvelous!!! Horse, cows and chickens. Oh my! Those plus the garden make it easy for a small family to thrive. <3 the stonework and use of wood plus the fun pops of purple color here & there. The tile flooring/rug with the circular piece is quite unique and kept drawing my attention ... am going to have to see what this is.
    @MiaSkywalker

fern_thank_you_card-rca418e039fa649b88a3bea3bc07992a5_xvuak_8byvr_324.jpg

This cabin ... wow and double wow!!! LOVE the curb appeal with the lovely landscaping and rocks! The pergola covered deck and covered walkway overlooking the pond beckons one to stop, relax/lounge about and thoroughly enjoy the view. Oh my, the views ... GORGEOUS! <3 the blue, green and wood palette throughout this home, quite masculine and yet not off-putting to any females visiting or living here. Great use of decor and rug layering. Thank YOU for all the little extras (elixirs and fish), they will certainly be used and appreciated :) I spy with my little eye a genie bottle ... what fun. Lots of room for daily living, weekend lounging and entertaining company. What a nice, skillful attic space you created. It's been a while since I had a sim make nectar and that natural cavern storage space is a pretty neat idea!

Thank YOU very much for making this charming cabin for me. I predict hours of fun times ahead!
    Without even consulting a thesaurus, the words which spring to mind are AMAZING, FANTASTIC, PERFECT, OMG! WOW!, BEAUTIFUL! LOVE IT!

I can't even begin to thank you for all the hard work and attention you put into this, every detail is so well considered, and as if the build itself wasn't amazing enough, the story you had for every single piece is just astounding! I was just floored with the beautiful picture windows between the hallway and the library - that just stood out to me instantly.

I love how each classroom is so much *that* subject!

I am going to have to make a whole house full of kids to attend this school! This is truly unbelievable work! Five heart review indeed! <3<3<3<3<3

Thank YOU for all your kind compliments, I'm sitting here with a really big smile right now!

Amazing how a little bit of research turned what might have been a daunting project (HUGE lot and commercial ... two things I never build) into such a fun adventure! The ideas kept flowing and I got a little carried away with them. **blush** Hopefully this will load fairly easily and work well after your town has grown in population.

The library is one of my favorite rooms in the entire building! Reading is something I <3 and this space needed to be warm and inviting so sims would enjoy spending time there. What better way to catch their eye than with windows that beckon one to come and take a closer look? ;)

It was fun using items to represent each subject matter and make unique classrooms.

Without your 'wish' for commercial buildings, this wouldn't have been possible so ... thank you :)
    This makes me want to create schools for towns I regularly use as well as play Monte Vista.
    I absolutely LOVE that you have so many skilling objects on this lot. One of the problems with a starter is that you can't afford many - if any - skilling objects. But with a community lot like this, who needs 'em? :) My hobo could LIVE on that lot, and never have to go home or get a job!

Your layout is GREAT, and I can see it's going to need to be explored fully to see what all it has.

<3<3<3<3<3
    (Just thought it deserved a five-heart review!)

Thank YOU :)
    Your comments make me smile and chuckle! So easy to imagine your hobo wandering the halls, trying this and that. I admit that I'm horrible with having my sims leave the home lot so perhaps I should make them go to a lot like this instead of having everything within easy reach at home.
    What an incredible first round of builds!!

@creativemetaphor I really like that house! I like the way you switched the way the wood patterns go, it does make a huge impact. The proportions of the walls, windows and parts that jut out are perfect! The way you set it up to capture the views was very well done, I could see myself laying in bed just staring out the window :):)
    @MiaSkywalker I want to grab my fishing pole, sit on the deck, have a cool drink and not move all day!! That cabin is lovely. Great job with the windows, they are tricky. The interior is so warm and inviting and I love the dual fireplaces! :):)
    @ciane I really think you outdid yourself on this one, it's perfect! From the roofing that probably drove you crazy to the pool deck there's nothing not to like. :):)
    @ADWilson Wow! I will have to use this school in all my towns! Why send your little guys off to a boring old rabbit hole when they could go here. Your track and field are so creative, I love the announcers boxes!! I am amazed at how many items you managed to get in there, I can see this being one place my simmies would spend a lot of time! :):)

Everyone gets <3<3<3<3<3 5 Hearts!
  • hannahc1023hannahc1023 Posts: 55 Member
    All the builds look so great, everyone!

@Kgaff So sorry I haven't posted your build yet, somehow my game got corrupted :s Thankfully, I had outlined the lot in detail, so once all my expansions download, I'll quickly rebuild and upload!
    @hannahc1023 ~
    Sorry your game got corrupted :(
    Hopefully 'take two' goes well for you!
    ciane wrote: »
    You did a great job on that @MiaSkywalker. I love it. The wood, the wine cellar, the attic alchemy, that counter seating... just wonderful!
    Kgaff wrote: »
    @MiaSkywalker I want to grab my fishing pole, sit on the deck, have a cool drink and not move all day!! That cabin is lovely. Great job with the windows, they are tricky. The interior is so warm and inviting and I love the dual fireplaces! :):)
    ADWilson wrote: »
    @MiaSkywalker

This cabin ... wow and double wow!!! LOVE the curb appeal with the lovely landscaping and rocks! The pergola covered deck and covered walkway overlooking the pond beckons one to stop, relax/lounge about and thoroughly enjoy the view. Oh my, the views ... GORGEOUS! <3 the blue, green and wood palette throughout this home, quite masculine and yet not off-putting to any females visiting or living here. Great use of decor and rug layering. Thank YOU for all the little extras (elixirs and fish), they will certainly be used and appreciated :) I spy with my little eye a genie bottle ... what fun. Lots of room for daily living, weekend lounging and entertaining company. What a nice, skillful attic space you created. It's been a while since I had a sim make nectar and that natural cavern storage space is a pretty neat idea!

Thank YOU very much for making this charming cabin for me. I predict hours of fun times ahead!
    Thank you, guys, for the lovely compliments!

That's called pergola covered? I had no idea what it was called. I just saw something like it once in a build and thought it was neat. :) (Plus it gave me something to hang those warbling wind chimes on - I love those things!)

Yes, I do love the views you can get in some of the Sims worlds. That's one thing I like about Sims 3 more than Sims 4. In 4, any views you get are just flat and painted, so don't mean much. The views in 3 are REAL, from landscaping actually sculpted and created by someone with care. That means a lot to me, more than just the flat, painted ones in 4. And in some of the worlds the views are really beautiful. Hidden Springs is one of my favorites, because it's so mountainous and woodsy.

I'm not always very good with the inside decorating, but finding just the right pieces to match and fit was fun. I mostly used the Hewnsman set, although I rarely kept the default textures. I also used some things from Pets, just because they tend to look very rustic.

The landscaping was difficult, because I didn't want to block access to the pond. I tested it, and I don't think I blocked any access, but if I have, you may need to move some rocks around. I suppose it might also depend upon where you place the spawners, though. I placed some for testing, but removed them before uploading.

I'm sorry I haven't been around much for the past few days. My sister is in town, and I don't see her often. So I haven't had much chance to actually be at my computer. I'll be back in a few days. I can't wait to see what @hannahc1023 has built for Kgaff! :)
    That's called pergola covered? I had no idea what it was called. I just saw something like it once in a build and thought it was neat. :) (Plus it gave me something to hang those warbling wind chimes on - I love those things!)

I think it's fun saying the word pergola :)
    I didn't know what they were called until I watched a decorating show or two & realized that the structure has a name. LOL

According to wikipedia, "A pergola is a garden feature forming a shaded walkway, passageway, or sitting area of vertical posts or pillars that usually support cross-beams and a sturdy open lattice, often upon which woody vines are trained. As a type of gazebo, it may also be an extension of a building or serve as protection for an open terrace or a link between pavilions.

Pergolas may link pavilions or extend from a building's door to an open garden feature such as an isolated terrace or pool. Freestanding pergolas, those not attached to a home or other structure, provide a sitting area that allows for breeze and light sun, but offer protection from the harsh glare of direct sunlight. Pergolas also give climbing plants a structure on which to grow."
    Yes, I do love the views you can get in some of the Sims worlds. That's one thing I like about Sims 3 more than Sims 4. In 4, any views you get are just flat and painted, so don't mean much. The views in 3 are REAL, from landscaping actually sculpted and created by someone with care. That means a lot to me, more than just the flat, painted ones in 4. And in some of the worlds the views are really beautiful. Hidden Springs is one of my favorites, because it's so mountainous and woodsy.

I don't mind the views in 4, but admit that I don't play it as much as I do 3. Hidden Springs is a favorite of mine as well! I had a great-aunt who lived in the northeast portion of Georgia and we would spend some time there each summer. Her property bordered some really nice woods so my brother and I were rarely bored ... or indoors! LOL
    I'm not always very good with the inside decorating, but finding just the right pieces to match and fit was fun. I mostly used the Hewnsman set, although I rarely kept the default textures. I also used some things from Pets, just because they tend to look very rustic.

The furnishings and decor you used is perfect for this cabin! I'm looking forward to playing Hidden Springs again, thank you. :)
    I have a bit of "homework" this week ... making Mr Were. Expect an email sometime soon!
    The landscaping was difficult, because I didn't want to block access to the pond. I tested it, and I don't think I blocked any access, but if I have, you may need to move some rocks around. I suppose it might also depend upon where you place the spawners, though. I placed some for testing, but removed them before uploading.

I trying to decide between plopping down some spawners (and get the visual look sooner!) or taking the time to fish. I'm leaning towards catching fish and stocking the pond so I can put in specific ones & create a truly unique system because it's been a while since I bothered with the fishing skill. It might be a nice way to force him to leave the house so he doesn't go stir crazy!
    I'm sorry I haven't been around much for the past few days. My sister is in town, and I don't see her often. So I haven't had much chance to actually be at my computer. I'll be back in a few days. I can't wait to see what @hannahc1023 has built for Kgaff! :)

Enjoy your visit with your sister!

I'm also looking forward to seeing what @hannahc1023 has made. :)
    @MiaSkywalker I apologize that I haven't yet updated my post with the proper pictures, it was a hectic weekend. At least I've still got this week!
    @MiaSkywalker I apologize that I haven't yet updated my post with the proper pictures, it was a hectic weekend. At least I've still got this week!
    Please let me know when you've done that. Otherwise I won't know to go back and look at your post to get the link for it. :)
    @MiaSkywalker Absolutely!
    edited March 2017
    All the builds look so great, everyone!

@Kgaff So sorry I haven't posted your build yet, somehow my game got corrupted :s Thankfully, I had outlined the lot in detail, so once all my expansions download, I'll quickly rebuild and upload!
    I am going to give you some suggestions that may help prevent such problems in the future.
    1. Always do a "Save As" instead of just "Save", and always give a new file name. My own nomenclature goes: <game name> 0001a, <game name> 0001b .... <game name> 0001z, <game name> 0002a, <game name> 0002b, etc. This allows me to save an almost infinite number of saves in a given game without overwriting a previous save, just in case something gets corrupted. One thing to note about this, however: When LOADING the game, the game can only see a certain number of saves in the main menu, so occasionally you will need to move older saves out and put them into a backup saves folder somewhere. (Preferably on a completely different hard drive, in case your entire hard drive fails.) The reason for this is that if you get corruption in your last save, you don't lose everything, but can go back to the previous save.
    2. Use Nraas Saver to prompt you to save every 30 minutes. This allows you to save even during building, which otherwise you cannot do. This will save your build progress if something drastic occurs like a power failure, so you don't lose your entire day's work, but will lose, at most, half an hour.
    3. Every few days copy your Saves folder to another hard drive, and then, from the main Saves folder in your Sims directory (not the one on the backup hard drive), delete older Saves that you no longer need to go back to. I usually keep the last two from whatever game I'm currently playing or building in, and the last one from all of my other games. Go ahead and keep the old saves on the backup hard drive, just in case your latest save(s) turn out to have problems or corruption.

Btw, you might note that just because something in the game install got corrupted, it doesn't mean that the game saves got corrupted, and vice versa.
    edited March 2017
    I always use "save as" too. AND Twallan mentioned that you should NEVER return to the main menu to load another save as leftovers from the save you were playing can enter that other save you are going to play. INSTEAD always QUIT from one save and reload your game to play another save.

I use a simple time hack to save my games. File names start with a two-character abbreviation for the world - AS, AP, LP, HS, RV, SV, MH, etc. Then, that is followed by the name of the family I'm playing OR the type OR the the build, followed by a time hack if I'm actually playing or a description if I'm building. So, SVH for Sunset Valley Hannah that gets an extra letter each save until I'm up to SVHannahC1023. Then, I added an extra H and started again. SVHH. My game play save at the moment is SVRandomW4a, for Wednesday 4a.m. :)

When I have finished playing for the day, it's easy for me to go into the saves folder and delete all but the last three files. That way, I have a couple back-ups.

I go so far as to maintain separate Sims 3 folders. I rename them so that I know what's in them and the screenshots folder within also helps remind me. So, I have a Sims3Hannah folder and Sims3Kgaff folder and a Sims3Random folder (for the legacy I'm currently playing). I also have a Sims3Everything folder and a Sims3store folder and a Sim3vanilla folder. I just decide what I want to play before loading my game.

I move or copy the folder I want to play into the Electronic Arts folder (if it isn't already there) and then I rename it back to Sims 3. I check the EPs/SPs I want (I do use a mod for that!) before loading my game.

That way, I can build quickly with an altered world that has no Sims running around in it or no store content, so it loads and saves faster. Later, I can save a lot and move it to another Sims 3 folder if I so desire. :)
    Hi! I just popped on to read @Adwilson' s letter and saw the update @MiaSkywalker made to the first page, linking to the letters and builds. I like it <3 , thanks!
    hey @Kgaff just wanted to let you know that I'm all done with your build (sorry it's taken so long)! I'm taking photos and uploading now :)
    I am going to give you some suggestions that may help prevent such problems in the future.
    Btw, you might note that just because something in the game install got corrupted, it doesn't mean that the game saves got corrupted, and vice versa.

Thanks for the tips @MiaSkywalker :)
    Unfortunately, I already do all those things... And I tried to open the previous save files, but for some reason, the game glitched out when I tried. I had a copy of most of my saves that seem to be ok, except for my new build save. I've tried anything I can find to try to salvage it, but no dice :(