Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    @creativemetaphor ~ What a nice little gem that link is! Thank YOU for sharing it.

I don't usually worry about the zombies because they don't go through gates or enter houses UNLESS there is a party going on. I once had a sim at a party and noticed some of the guests were zombies. Needless to say, my sim said a few compliments to the host and moved along. lol
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    How awesome to get the house earlier! Are we allowed to upload early? Hannah's is sitting in the launcher, but I haven't done the pics for the upload yet. Instead, I'm playing.
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited March 2017
    ciane wrote: »
    How awesome to get the house earlier! Are we allowed to upload early? Hannah's is sitting in the launcher, but I haven't done the pics for the upload yet. Instead, I'm playing.
    I think you can if you'd like. I can see how in some circumstances it might be helpful, particularly if you know you're going to be busy with something in the break week.

Has everyone custard checked before uploading? That's very important. If you can't custard check or don't know how, you can email the file to me and I'll check it for you. My email is the same as my user name, at gmail. Just make sure to put in the subject header what the file is for, and mention in the body of the email who you are. (In case your user name here is different from your email address.)

I've been playing - and building - as well. The past few days I've been playing with the various roof pieces; both Skylight Studio and Greenhouse. I rebuilt a tiny little starter in RV to this humongous diamond thing. The bottom floor is the same size as the original... but as it goes up it goes outward, and then inward again. Looks like a gigantic distorted diamond. :) No way I want to ever upload it or even show pictures of it, because it's absolutely ridiculous looking. I just created it to play around with the various pieces and see how they would each fit together and what I could do with them.

Then I redid the gym in RV, made it a floor taller and added some stuff to it, and put the roof pieces on that as well. That one actually looks nice, and if/when I finish it I may show pictures of it.

I might not, though. Finish, I mean. I'm actually playing one of my games, but just doing this random stuff on occasion. Playing with things like the roof pieces is the only way to learn how to use them effectively, so I do it on occasion.
    Some of those roof pieces from the art studio work well with the greenhouse pieces. I like them best on boats where you can make the front windshield look.
    Some of those roof pieces from the art studio work well with the greenhouse pieces. I like them best on boats where you can make the front windshield look.
    I wouldn't have thought of that! I've never made a houseboat yet; I should do that sometime. I just wish some of the store worlds had routable ocean, so I could use them on one of those. I still need the houseboat achievements, so I know I'll get around to it at some point. :)
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    So, is this what I'm after? And how do I use it? modthesims.info/download.php?t=390235 And if the only thing I've ever downloaded from a user ever was LadyEmillye's house for her current contest, is it even likely I'd have any bad content?
    So, is this what I'm after? And how do I use it? modthesims.info/download.php?t=390235 And if the only thing I've ever downloaded from a user ever was LadyEmillye's house for her current contest, is it even likely I'd have any bad content?
    You've never downloaded any Sims or lots from the Exchange? In that case, it's pretty unlikely. It's good to check, though. Years ago there was this Arezzo counter that attached itself to every lot you uploaded to the Exchange, even if you didn't use that counter on the lot. That counter behaved like a virus, infecting one person's game after another, until people figured out how to remove it.

There are a few others like that, too; I had some CC attach itself to a Sim I tried to upload for one of the last exchanges that Tanue ran, and so far as I knew, I didn't have any CC at that point in my game. Obviously I was wrong, and it was very difficult to get rid of.

The way you run it is to install that program (which consists of simply copying that file into whatever directory you want it in), then when you run it, you select File => Open and browse to your Exports directory. Make certain, of course, that you've already exported the lot, although you won't have uploaded it yet.

Once the file is loaded, it may show a single file, which under "Type" should simply say "Sims 3 Package"; if it says anything else - or if it shows a sub-type - then there's CC on the lot somewhere. There may be other files below that top file; if they are "package" files, then you have CC. If they are thumbnail image files (png or jpg), then you're OK.

I think you've uploaded to the Exchange before, haven't you?
    @MiaSkywalker
    You've never downloaded any Sims or lots from the Exchange? In that case, it's pretty unlikely. It's good to check, though.

I think you've uploaded to the Exchange before, haven't you?

Yeah, I've uploaded quite a few. But the only thing I've ever put in my Sims game that didn't come direct from the Sims 3 store was the lot that I needed to place for LadyEmillye's contest going on now. Mostly due to paranoia about viruses lol
    @MiaSkywalker Woohoo! Got it downloaded and working and I'm clean :mrgreen:

aaaand the Sims 3 store site is down. So I still can't link, but I am uploading anyway.
    edited March 2017
    Never mind @ciane here is your house!! Himmel och Hav

And here is the link to all the final pictures! Himmel och Hav pictures

Screenshot-6_zpsujy7nynj.jpg

Post edited by creativemetaphor on
    Never mind @ciane here is your house!! Himmel och Hav
    Don't forget you're supposed to post pictures of it on the thread. :) Suggestions for minimum (and more) images are in the third post on the first page. I know, everyone has been posting pictures as we go, but you'll need to have the appropriate pictures in a single post with the link in it. That way I can link the post on the first page, and I will only have to link one post for it.

Another suggestion for everyone (but definitely NOT a requirement) is to change the images within the upload using Sims3UIC. The reason to do that is for other people surfing the Exchange, because they won't know about this thread to see these pictures. The default pictures of a lot are pretty crummy, and don't show anything well; they don't show any furnishings or deco at all. By putting your own images into the upload, you can showcase important parts of the lot. I always try to get one good outside image, at least one overview of each floor, and then a couple of inside pictures if I can.
    @MiaSkywalker Will edit the post to get all the proper pictures and link together in one! And do you have a suggested program for changing the pictures on the exchange?
    @MiaSkywalker Will edit the post to get all the proper pictures and link together in one! And do you have a suggested program for changing the pictures on the exchange?
    Yes, the program is called Sims 3 UIC (Upload Image Changer). You can find it here.

Of note: Although it no longer requires you to convert your images to PNG, I recommend that you do NOT use the larger types of files (BMP, TIFF) for your images. Those will artificially inflate the size of your upload file, and cause longer download times for other people. PNG and JPG files are the best ones to use.
    I've gotten new pics with some recoloring I did for @hannahc1023. I linked off the original page because I didn't retake pics of all the rooms. So either Home for Hannah or New Link will have pics and link to the other page.

I've still to do the UIC pics and upload.

My builds are in brand new Sims 3 files. Hannah's build has no store stuff in it all, so it was a brand new folder with no downloads added at all. Kgaff's will have the store content added, but no other downloads. I'll add all the links in a bit after I play with pics more.

I'm excited to download the lot you made for me @creativemetaphor. But I most get Hannah's lot uploaded first and change out my sims 3 folders to a play one.

edited March 2017
    An hour later...
    upload is here
    roof_up_original.jpg
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9056541

more pics here: https://iamciane.wordpress.com/builds/new-look/
    original pics here: https://iamciane.wordpress.com/builds/home-for-hannah/

(The dccache, dcbackup, and downloads folders are empty. This was built vanilla Sims 3 start folder with a save of a builder's version of Sunset Valley added to the saves folder and my normal mods folder with NRaas overwatch and debug enabler. I used EA premades Wozny and his roommate as testers.)
    @ciane BEAUTIFUL!

And no worries about taking time to download the house! :)

@MiaSkywalker Thank you! I'll play with that sometime this weekend (I hope)
    An hour later...
    upload is here
    BEAUTIFUL home, ciane! Just... wow! I love the color contrasts you used. So warm, yet so sophisticated. And it looks like it will fit in very well into most worlds. :)
    @creativemetaphor - I already added the lot to my game. I'm going around editting the commercial lots so that they don't have parking spots and the city hall doesn't have all the stairs and the library doesn't have the kids stuff on the top floor, etc.

I got the idea to make that other top section into a kids room, so I moved the kitchen and added a second ladder, and I put a fence around the garden. I really can't wait to play it. (I put it on an empty 30x30 residential lot, so I didn't have to move a commercial lot out of the way.)

Thanks for the nice comments. I really liked the challenging roof line and am glad I got that to work out okay.
    @ciane That's awesome! I had thought that a future remodel could add a small ledge along that side wall to connect the two loft areas, or enclose the outside ledge as the walkway, too. So many possibilities! Would love to see pictures of your makeover when you're finished!
  • hannahc1023hannahc1023 Posts: 55 Member
    @ciane That looks amazing!! I love it so much, and it's perfect for one of my current families! Thank you <3

@kgaff I'm almost finished with your build, but my game is on the fritz right now. I'm going to troubleshoot tonight, then I'll upload!
    I'll share pics when done, no problem. I'm still deleting parking spaces. (I try to avoid sims leaving cars to clean up.)

Yay, hannah, I'm glad you like it.
    edited March 2017
    @creativemetaphor - I took the fence that you had along the edge and wrapped it in to enclose the garden from wandering deer and zombies:
    screenshot-28.jpg

The kitchen was moved to the other side of the back door, where unfortunately there is no window to look out while washing dishes.
    screenshot-27.jpg

The desk, however, now gets the view out the window; and, you do spend more time at the computer than at the sink, right?
    screenshot-36.jpg

And, I already tested the bed to make sure it is accessible.
    screenshot-33.jpg

I think that screen works well there!

It's an awesome lot and I love that it now has another useable loft! Thanks so much.
    @ciane I'm so glad you like it!! And I even love how you personalized it <3 That glass wavy thing *does* make a great screen! And the new bed fits so well
    @ADWilson:

Here is my completed gift for you, Angler's Delight. I decided to go a little picture crazy here. :) This turned out to be nothing at all close to a starter, unfortunately. I think I'm going to need a lot more practice before I can do that. :)

Download description: "A log cabin built at 47 Ruby Ct. in Hidden Springs, designed for a Sim who loves the outdoors and enjoys fishing. A gift for ADWilson from Mia Skywalker, but available for everyone. Uses the roof pieces from the Skylight Studio venue and the Stone's Throw Greenhouse. Many potions and other extras in the house."

Lot size: 40x40
    Price furnished: $133,863
    Address: 47 Ruby Ct.

First, location shots. Note that the skylights do not appear from neighbourhood view. This is a known bug. There's nothing that can be done, shy of modding them and using a modded version, which I wouldn't upload anyway.
    351sgsi.jpg
    2a813k3.jpg

From outside:
    zxmrno.jpg
    so23o5.jpg
    en6yx.jpg
    jiosjk.jpg
    2n99e8x.jpg
    e17llk.jpg
    1evz40.jpg
    30w37mc.jpg
    qqzuva.jpg
    20t31w7.jpg
    15zl5qa.jpg
    24wwxv5.jpg
    332qk29.jpg
    2a68nlv.jpg
    xf9h6c.jpg
    2mynujp.jpg
    ixfj34.jpg
    2h36ez8.jpg

Floor layouts:
    1fi70x.jpg
    2gxilxe.jpg
    10dw0m1.jpg
    o88imh.jpg
    50f7uf.jpg
    2guw5j7.jpg
    2bdse8.jpg

Ground floor, main area:
    fx9iit.jpg
    2jcbjnt.jpg
    2462nab.jpg
    2ib0tab.jpg
    2uf7ms8.jpg
    2cmkc2e.jpg
    2jfg9ww.jpg
    2lcxtns.jpg

Bedrooms
    11hw4jl.jpg
    s1uwau.jpg
    n1a4iu.jpg
    11ta3ap.jpg
    8x09xt.jpg
    6qun2p.jpg
    4r6z4j.jpg
    315zluh.jpg
    246893p.jpg
    11kcn08.jpg

Bathroom
    cp5hg.jpg
    15493rc.jpg
    4ha16g.jpg
    afiyoz.jpg
    200aa9d.jpg

Attic:
    2gyazit.jpg
    8ydft5.jpg
    20r45qu.jpg
    2ugl8gg.jpg
    by1hy.jpg
    24321rr.jpg
    fveakz.jpg

Nectary greenhouse. I was going for the look of a natural cavern for the basement.
    aexp2h.jpg
    2koa47.jpg
    2ebras2.jpg

Various close ups:
    fu7yu9.jpg
    mie34i.jpg
    qoftr9.jpg
    1073k8p.jpg
    vrenw9.jpg
    4j4o4.jpg
    otn87l.jpg
    j60h92.jpg
    jsjbec.jpg
    2lxjthl.jpg

Patio:
    29liutg.jpg
    25s21r8.jpg
    hrymgh.jpg
    14nk3nt.jpg
    mwtnon.jpg
    219110.jpg
    15ple9g.jpg
    1zpktjn.jpg
    2udw3uq.jpg
    f02oew.jpg
    2wf7kgp.jpg
    31488eh.jpg
    rrifj8.jpg

An item of note:
    I had evicted the testing Sim from the house when I originally completed this build, forgetting I would need a live Sim for taking pictures. When I came back later with a Sim to take pictures, I learned that everything placed into a refrigerator gets removed once the household gets evicted. I hadn't realized that items in the refrigerator are linked to the household, not the house. I should have known this because when I've owned multiple houses for the same household, all of the items in the refrigerators are viewable and usable no matter which home my Sim is actually in.

So, although I had spent a lot of time getting produce from the harvest stand for you, the refrigerator is now empty. Live and learn. :) The items in the Alchemy cabinet, however, remained in the home, which means those items are linked to the cabinet, not the household.

Don't forget to feed the fish. :) I hadn't realized until now that luminous salamanders look like frogs in the fish tank. I thought they would look more interesting based on the name, so I was a bit disappointed.
    edited March 2017
    @MiaSkywalker I like being inspired by real houses but almost always create my own floor plans, though I have run into this absolutely fantastic book published back in the late 1800's and I've done a couple of the Victorian plans, though it takes some creative wiggling to get some of the proportions to work ;) (oops, forgot the link!) Hobbs Architecture It's a great book because it has a little blurb about each house, an elevation, and even defines the various rooms!
    Oh, my! I finally got around to checking out that site, and I am in love! <3 Not only am I bookmarking it, but I'm saving the PDF to my computer in case the site ever goes down. That book is fabulous!