Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    I love everyone's responses! :)

Now that I'm sitting down to share mine at the end of a thinking-intensive day, I'm wondering, "What prompted me to ask such though-requiring questions?"

1. This story is filled with little acts of caring. What are some of your favorite instances of this?

My favorite instance is the "safe room" that Sinbad created for Shark. I love this so much! I also really love the care of plants in this story. Every time I see Sinbad tending the plants, it makes me feel so good. And remember the time when Shark took care of them for Sinbad? I really loved that!

The cooking, too, is such an act of care. I love seeing Sinbad in the kitchen.

I also really love the self-care that Sinbad demonstrates. He spends a lot of time doing what he needs to do to be as healthy as he can be, and by doing that, he's available to help Shark.

I also love all the ways that Shark thinks of what he can do to support and care for Sinbad. It's a very reciprocal partnership.

And what about Sagebear? She's always taking care of everyone! :)

2. I love to examine the screenshots for all the details in the interior design that show the domestic love and care that fills this house. What's one of your favorite details? Share a screenshot, if you wish!

OK, my favorite thing in the whole house is the bunny rug in the kitchen--you can see it in the screenshots above.

I also love how the decor of the rooms changes through time.

Example:

Early kitchen -

screenshot-33-5.jpg?w=676

Compare to later kitchen shots above!

I'm also always on the look-out for new blankets, rugs, stuff on the walls, and stuffed animals. There's always something new, just like in life! :)

3. I have to admit that I turn to this story for inspiration in keeping the love alive in my own partnership during challenging times. Can you share ways that this story inspires you?

Over the weekend, a close relative shared that her husband had a severe bipolar episode a few years ago--she'd kept it quiet from the family until now that her husband is on medication and she feels that things are stable, at least for now. Listening to her talk, and looking behind the smile she wore as she told us about it, I thought of Sinbad and Shark.

My family sort of grew up with the belief in "being ideal"--and I love letting go of ideals and an illusion of "an ideal relationship" so that we can be people, moving through our lives together, and letting go of the denial that anything ever goes wrong.

This story also shows me that we get more from loving and caring when we're doing it for the other person, and not for our own satisfaction, and that a deeper kind of satisfaction can come about through putting another's well-being as a top priority.

4. What do you learn about what it means to love and to be loved through reading this story?

It's so reciprocal. Shark feels awful when he feels that he can't do anything for Sinbad, and he feels great when he sees he makes Sinbad happy. And Sinbad, through loving and caring for others, becomes the best person he can be. Part of Sinbad's valuing Shark so highly seems to come from who Sinbad himself is and becomes as he cares for Shark.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Round Two!

dog-birthday-party-15-720x495.jpg

Pup dogs are awesome. Especially Sagebear. But I love Mr. Beefy, too, and all of them, really.

Questions for Readers

1) If you were given the honor of house-sitting when Shark and Sinbad were on a get-away weekend for two, and part of the house-sitting included hanging out with the pups all weekend, what would you do with them?

2) Sagebear's got to be one of the biggest heroes in all SimLit. What's one of your favorite things she's done (in any story that she's in)?

3) What do you enjoy about the other dogs?

4) How do these dogs show us how to be better people?

5) Anything else you want to say about these beloved pups?

Questions for the Writer

1) What was one of your favorite scenes or episodes to write involving any of these dogs?

2) What do you feel the dogs contribute to the story?

3) How do you decide when to add a new dog, and which dog to add?

4) How do they all get along in game-play?

Questions for Everybody

How are these dogs heroes?

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    1) If you were given the honor of house-sitting when Shark and Sinbad were on a get-away weekend for two, and part of the house-sitting included hanging out with the pups all weekend, what would you do with them?
    We would fight crime together! Or then just... I don't know, do fun dog stuff. Like go outside. Eat. Sleep.

2) Sagebear's got to be one of the biggest heroes in all SimLit. What's one of your favorite things she's done (in any story that she's in)?
    All the moments when Detective Sagebear comes to the rescue! She's so smart and I love her snooping around on her own and then being awesome. Also the moments when she's just being there and offering pet therapy by being cute and cuddly when people are depressed or otherwise feeling down.

I enjoy the familial bonds they're forming between each other. And I really like the moments when they talk to each other and help each other understand things. Also they're dogs; they're lovely and awesome. I may be an obvious cat person, but I love dogs too!

Sagebear especially is so caring of her human pals even though she doesn't even understand their antics a lot of the time. Also I think caring about animals always makes people better.

THEY'RE SO CUTE! ...that is all. :)

6) How are these dogs heroes?
    Well, aside from all the awesome things Sagebear has done, these dogs are doing their part in keeping two guys with issues happier than they would be without them. And I think they're doing a great job at it.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    1) What was one of your favorite scenes or episodes to write involving any of these dogs?
    That's a hard one to answer, but...Probably the Sagebear and Faridah bonding chapter (before Beefy and Zas came into the picture). Because Mommy Sagebear. Something about taking pictures of mostly just those two was so fun and calming. :) But really, I could choose any of the dog scenes.

Besides being cute? They can be there for Shark when Sinbad is not. Sometimes Shark just needs to pet a soft doggy and have doggy kisses administered to him. And I try to have them give another point of view of the happenings in the house.

The first time, it was because Shark rolled the wish to adopt a dog. The second time, I decided to give Mr. Beefy a friend. As for which dog to choose? I chose at random, mainly.

They get along very well! Whenever I'm shooting a scene with just Shark and Sinbad, those dogs are always elsewhere goofing around, sniffing, or otherwise just socializing with each other. And they all like to watch TV together, too. :p (after they're done barking at it, at least)
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
    rednenemon wrote: »
    That's a hard one to answer, but...Probably the Sagebear and Faridah bonding chapter (before Beefy and Zas came into the picture). Because Mommy Sagebear. Something about taking pictures of mostly just those two was so fun and calming. :) But really, I could choose any of the dog scenes.

Besides being cute? They can be there for Shark when Sinbad is not. Sometimes Shark just needs to pet a soft doggy and have doggy kisses administered to him. And I try to have them give another point of view of the happenings in the house.

The first time, it was because Shark rolled the wish to adopt a dog. The second time, I decided to give Mr. Beefy a friend. As for which dog to choose? I chose at random, mainly.

They get along very well! Whenever I'm shooting a scene with just Shark and Sinbad, those dogs are always elsewhere goofing around, sniffing, or otherwise just socializing with each other. And they all like to watch TV together, too. :p (after they're done barking at it, at least)

These answers make me so happy !

Round 3!

Veggie sammich anyone?
    herosandwichvegetarian.jpg

Questions for Readers

I thought we'd look at the theme of "Strength and Healing" in round three.

It seems to me that all the characters--two-legged and four-legged--demonstrate strength and experience healing.

1) What are some of the demonstrations of strength that have been particularly meaningful to you?

In what ways has reading this and thinking about the characters helped you redefine strength?

2) What are some of the instances of healing that seem most memorable to you?

Do we ever heal for good, or is it a continual process? And if so, where do we get the strength to continue to move through this process?

How has reading Part Deux helped you reconsider the process of healing and what it entails?

3) What else do you want to talk about in relation to this story or any of Senna's work?

Questions for the Writer

1) In my questions, I've pointed to some of the themes that stand out to me in your writing, and especially in Part Deux. What themes stand out to you in your work?

2) Your work feels very thoughtful to me and profound. Do you spend a lot of time thinking about these ideas, these characters, and the plots?

3) What other writing do you do in addition to the Racket-Rotter stories?

4) Anything else you want to talk about? Any questions for readers?

edited February 2017
    1) What are some of the demonstrations of strength that have been particularly meaningful to you?
    I'd say just the fact that Shark, Sinbad, Dennis, Marc, Harwood and Blaise and the others have been able to go back to a somewhat normal life after what happened in the first Chronicles is a demonstration of immense strength. Also Shark and Sinbad building their life piece by piece is very inspiring to me.

In what ways has reading this and thinking about the characters helped you redefine strength?
    It has reminded me that strength is often a collective thing, but requires strength from individual beings too.

Shark finding peaceful moments is always very lovely. Also Harwood at least somewhat snapping out of his birthday blues was great too. And I loved the moment when Amy's ghost found peace.

Do we ever heal for good, or is it a continual process? And if so, where do we get the strength to continue to move through this process?
    I think it depends on the person and what they need to heal from. In many cases the healing is never perfect and it can be a never-ending process. I think people can get strength from a lot of things, but for most people some kind of genuinely positive social contact helps. I think.

How has reading Part Deux helped you reconsider the process of healing and what it entails?
    I guess it has strengthened my belief in the difficulty of healing from the more severe things. In the story I really like that despite Shark and Sinbad loving each other so much and being so great for each other, love isn't some kind of miracle cure. Healing requires work, compromises, patience, and all sorts of other things.

3) What else do you want to talk about in relation to this story or any of Senna's work?
    Um... I'm so bad at coming up with these... so I won't even try. I'll just say that I've really enjoyed both Racket-Rotter -stories and I'm looking forward to more from Senna!
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    1) In my questions, I've pointed to some of the themes that stand out to me in your writing, and especially in Part Deux. What themes stand out to you in your work?
    None of them, actually! I'm certain that they lurk under the surface while I write, but I don't really think about them consciously. As usual, I leave it up to readers to come up with their own interpretations.

2) Your work feels very thoughtful to me and profound. Do you spend a lot of time thinking about these ideas, these characters, and the plots?
    Not really. A lot of the time I just wing it. In fact, most of the time I have no idea what the next chapter is going to involve! (Sometimes I revisit a place or situation to try and think of something to write about) I guess as long as I evoke some kind of reaction or feeling, that's good enough for me.

3) What other writing do you do in addition to the Racket-Rotter stories?
    It isn't writing, but on my Tumblr blog, I have this tag known as "Twinbrook 1996" (link's in the signature). It's exactly what it sounds like: screenshots of Twinbrook locations as I imagine them in the mid 90s. Also let's say a 'sort of' legacy is in the works (maybe).

4) Anything else you want to talk about? Any questions for readers?
    Just one...
    XJS798t.jpg
    Guess who? Here's a hint: her sister chopped her head off.
    (Keep in mind this is something of a prototype screenshot. Depending on what happens, there may not even be a Part Three for this to go with)
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
    @rednenemon
    EEKS! That's scary! :o

Hiya! I'm interrupting Coffee Hour with some scheduling talk!

In March, we'll be reading Runaway Teen/YOTO/Orphan Challenge stories.

Here's a tentative schedule:

Shift by @CathyTea - March 6 - 12
    Harkins Family by @cshaner - March 13 - 19
    Gone Viral by @AkramA - March 20 - 26
    Oakenward by @Ponderingsky - March 27 - April 2

@cshaner and @AkramaA - how does this schedule look for you?

Also, it looks like we could use some Coffee Hour hosts this month, so if anyone would like to volunteer, please do! :)

Then in April, we'll take a few weeks to re-organize and re-evaluate the whole Book Club/Coffee Hour process before we open up for new nominations.

Cheers! :)

edited February 2017
    Round Two:

I'd LOVE to sit on the couch and watch TV with them. I'd watch whatever Sagebear and Faridah wanted to watch. Wouldn't it be awesome to watch My Neighbor Totoro with them? :)

I'd also love to go for a long slow walk with Sagebear and just talk.

I love her in everything! She's always the sane one, so when the other characters in any of the other stories start getting a little nuts and I start feeling a little anxious, I always know that she'll come around to provide a bit of sanity. :)

In Eight Cicadas, I love the walks she goes on with Franco. And in Part Deux, I love the way she keeps Sinbad in line! LOL!

Mr. Beefy is so cute. I love how he sits outside and looks around, thinking about stuff.

I'm really crazy about Mark and Harwood's dogs, too! Whenever I see dogs sitting on the couch, I feel happy.

For the most part, they seem to know how to relax. I find that when I'm relaxed, I'm a better person. When I get all stressed out or hyped up, it's harder for me to respond in kind ways to others, but when I relax, I can be there for others. That seems to be what the dogs do, too.

I love them all, and I'm always watching what they're doing and listening for what they're saying! :)

Round Three

I wonder if Shark knows how strong he is. I really like how he often thinks about what can he do to show Sinbad how much he appreciates him. Just keeping on every day takes a lot of strength.

Sinbad is really strong--I love what he does to take care of the home and his business. Everything he does, he does for Shark and their family.

Sometimes, the strongest thing a person can do is just hang in there, make it through the present moment of pain or discomfort, and hang in until a better time comes around. Shark demonstrates the development of that kind of strength.

The time after Shark's hospitalization felt pretty powerful to me. I also really like the little everyday moments--nothing big or momentous, just normal, quiet, good times. I love the scenes in the kitchen as instances of healing.

I used to think we did heal once and for good--but I'm starting to think more in terms of an active sense of balance.

Yeah, it has. Sticking it through and being there for each other is so important, and this story helps me understand dedication to another in new ways. It inspires me!

I'm really looking forward to a Part Three (though I'm scared of it after your spoiler!) if it happens. I also adore all your short stories, and I'm so excited that Mel wrote to Norman in Pen Pal Project! :open_mouth:

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    since my reading list is still longer than my time i'm not up to this, but i wanted to say i enjoyed learning french deux means 2.i guessed that before looking it up but i wouldn't have known that if i hadn't know how to spell it.
  • cshanercshaner Posts: 2,620 Member
    @CathyTea thank you so much for working with my vacation schedule. That works just fine for me. Thank you again.
    covensig800x200.jpg?w=676
    SimFluence - Where Sims Influence the Story
    Blood that Binds: A Vampire Coven Challenge Updated 04/22/2017
    Life Under Construction: A Drifter Challenge House 001 Completed 1/29/17 | Orphan Challenge: Harkins Family Completed 11/12/16
    Origin ID: cshaner07
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member

Well, clearly I'd bug Sagebear about her past. There's a lot she's not telling me.

I'd also tickle Faridah's soft puppy tummy.

Any story? No spoilers for you, sorry. :p

Her as one of the jurors in Part One was a great twist. One of my favorite things to do with her in a story myself is to make her as useful as a human, even if just in a mundane way. Senna doing it is fine too.

I like Mr. Beefy and Zas acting as Sagebear's fresh and uninformed underlings, whenever we get a dog-PoV moment.

This is an in-general thing about dogs, but dogs have a great balance of caring for others and living for their own happiness and pleasure. My own Bud is a lazy, food-centered beast, but he also likes to keep by my side when I'm sleeping or sick. While Sagebear and her minions are more outwardly caring, they have plenty of moments of liking to play and beg for treats.

Please keep Sagebear's line going. I love seeing baby Catahoulas from my base because they age down into the cutest things. :D

How are these dogs heroes?

Simple: they help out two protagonists who are helpless without them.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    Hi, everyone! I'm here to announce the new readings!

CURRENT READING
    Love, Jacob by @Kittybit

Reading for the Week of March 6 - 12 - Shift by @CathyTea

We're open for Coffee Hour hosts for this week and next, so if you'd like to volunteer, let me know!

Hi, Book Clubbers! My workplace is currently undergoing a sudden change in leadership, which means that my job gets a lot busier. So I'm going to be putting book club on hold for a while.

If anyone is interested in seeing it start up again at the beginning of summer, please let me know! :)

(You're also welcome to run it without me while I'm on break.)

• PatchouliNittPatchouliNitt Posts: 78 Member
    I was too late to join?
    39edf25f4f3d48e6b489772a75136841.gif?ssl=1&w=450
    Check out my simlit here: Chronicles of Patchouli's Sims
    I was too late to join?

hi this is on break but the reading circle thread is active.
    I was too late to join?
    I was too late to join?

hi this is on break but the reading circle thread is active.

@PatchouliNitt Hiya! Yeah, like friendsfan says, we're currently taking a break from Book Club. There's been some interest in having it start up again, so we might be posting more info about that in the coming weeks.

Thanks for your interest!

• InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    I hope something can come of Book Club again. It's an easy way to read simlit I would have never thought of reading. Even if I was bad and late (or absent, god forbid) with questions. :p
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    Yeah, book club was really nice. I also hope it will be back at least in some form. But no pressure to anyone about it, of course. :)
    My Sims stories:
    we might be able to bring it back. when cathtea was gone i learned a lot.

so if we can figure something out we can reopen.
    we might be able to bring it back. when cathtea was gone i learned a lot.

so if we can figure something out we can reopen.
    Yeah, book club was really nice. I also hope it will be back at least in some form. But no pressure to anyone about it, of course. :)
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    I hope something can come of Book Club again. It's an easy way to read simlit I would have never thought of reading. Even if I was bad and late (or absent, god forbid) with questions. :p

So, we could for sure restart it! @Simslover163 has volunteered to co-host it with me, and he came up with some really good suggestions on how to make it even more effective and fun. Simslover, maybe you'll share your suggestions here?

And it would be cool if one or two other people volunteered to step in to host for times when Simslover or I get busy.

Before we decide if we start it up again, I'd like to share with you some of my hesitations, and you can let me know your ideas and responses. My hesitations might just be stemming from personal insecurities--but they feel more like intuitions, so you all will be good sounding-boards.

First, let me share my original goals with Book Club, which are still goals that fit with my values and objectives:

Book Club is designed to provide a structured way for avid SimLit fans to keep up with reading, discover new works, and share their enthusiasms and insights. It's also designed to shine light on SimLit writers, celebrating their efforts and accomplishments. It's designed to provide a place for open conversation, where readers and writers can be themselves and share their own authentic perspectives.

So... with those goals in mind, here are my hesitations:

Before we went on break, I started to feel that my particular contributions--both the types of questions I ask and the interpretations I share--were off-putting to some participants. I began to feel that people were staying away or not wanting to take part--or to have their work discussed--because they didn't feel comfortable with the literary interpretation/analysis questions I asked or, possibly, with the types of deep analysis I offered in my own answers to questions, or with my own unique and individual perspectives. In other words, I started to feel that I was the reason people were staying away.

So... I guess the thing I'd like us to consider is: how do we make this a place that's open enough for all levels of engagement?

Because of my own nature and training, I'm just not going to find it possible to participate unless I feel free to be as academic, analytical, authentic, deep, goofy, irreverent, and honest as I want to be.

And I would hope that everyone could participate as freely as they wanted... in the style that suits them, even when, and especially when, we have different styles and approaches.

Because I was feeling that my participation and hosting was off-putting and preventing others from joining in, I was going to suggest that someone else took it over, and then I could just be a casual participant (It's sometimes more acceptable if a participant's contributions are outlier-type contributions, than if the host's are...) And I'm perfectly willing to step aside, if you think that would make Book Club more successful! (And I won't take it personally! :) )

So... those are my reservations. What are your thoughts, insights, and observations? (And I'm not feeling at all badly about this--I feel very neutral and happy, even, so I'm not looking for "feel better" answers--I'm looking for honest responses and ideas about how to make this something that achieves our goals...)

Oh! Another thing! I feel really badly for the writer when a featured work gets just a few participants or responses--so that's one reason why I question my hosting... I don't want to be the reason that writers aren't getting a lot of people joining in and sharing what they love about the work...

i do aplogize if i made you feel bad by making jokes about some of the questions you asked. that wasn't my intention. you and i are intresting mix because some things are the same (were both kind of shy) but soethings are differnt (you have fruits and vegetables in your fridge i have candy and ice cream.) but it works. and i make jokes but i love when you make me think. the only hard thing is when you say" look it up " and i have to guess how its spelled. lol. but i love you as if you were my big sis. hugs.
    i do aplogize if i made you feel bad by making jokes about some of the questions you asked. that wasn't my intention. you and i are intresting mix because some things are the same (were both kind of shy) but soethings are differnt (you have fruits and vegetables in your fridge i have candy and ice cream.) but it works. and i make jokes but i love when you make me think. the only hard thing is when you say" look it up " and i have to guess how its spelled. lol. but i love you as if you were my big sis. hugs.

Of course you didn't make me feel badly! You're my sis! :) Your teasing me is what make the sunshine here in the desert! Don't ever stop! <3

And it's just a question that I had that I wanted to run by folks--talking about these things is always (needlessly) awkward--but it sometimes helps, especially if it can help us create the types of spaces we want for open conversation...

Anyway, never let it be said that my Sissy made me feel anything but wonderful! :smiley:<3