Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Insane Trait

13...Next

Comments

• duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited January 2017
    @SuperCoolRachael I can both love and appreciate the kind heart that you must have to worry for people who may be made light of. That said, I just can't see this trait in the same way you do I guess.

As someone who suffers from manic depression myself, I find it refreshing to see in a game, a light-hearted approach to it. Everyone, in the real world, has some little piece of 'crazy' within do they not? I've had bosses who talk to (and answer) themselves when they think no one is paying attention. I have a husband who yells and rants at his computer screen that can't hear him and couldn't care in the event that it COULD hear him. I've heard, time and time again, about people who are classified as 'normal' who just can't stand it when someone moves an item half an inch out of place and so they must stop and set it to rights again.

Every single trait in this game 'pokes fun' or makes light of someone's personality traits somewhere. It is a life sim after all. Shouldn't it represent me and my mania just the same as it does my husband's cleaning compulsion or my boss' tendencies to drive themselves too hard and become workaholics?

I think the Sims traits system gives us all a chance to live, love, laugh and be light in a safe and comfortable environment where we aren't judged. Its a sentiment I can stand behind. Not one I feel cheated or laughed at for.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    @SuperCoolRachael I can both love and appreciate the kind heart that you must have to worry for people who may be made light of. That said, I just can't see this trait in the same way you do I guess.

As someone who suffers from manic depression myself, I find it refreshing to see in a game, a light-hearted approach to it. Everyone, in the real world, has some little piece of 'crazy' within do they not? I've had bosses who talk to (and answer) themselves when they think no one is paying attention. I have a husband who yells and rants at his computer screen that can't hear him and couldn't care in the event that it COULD hear him. I've heard, time and time again, about people who are classified as 'normal' who just can't stand it when someone moves an item half an inch out of place and so they must stop and set it to rights again.

Every single trait in this game 'pokes fun' or makes light of someone's personality traits somewhere. It is a life sim after all. Shouldn't it represent me and my mania just the same as it does my husband's cleaning compulsion or my boss' tendencies to drive themselves too hard and become workaholics?

I think the Sims traits system gives us all a chance to live, love, laugh and be light in a safe and comfortable environment where we aren't judged. Its a sentiment I can stand behind. Not one I feel cheated or laughed at for.

I think the problem the OP has is the fact that insane doesn't normlly have "voices talking in their heads"..that's a sign of a different mental illness. I think the OP would be fine with the Insane trait in a future Sims game if they took out the "voices talking in their head".
    6adMCGP.gif
  • ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    edited January 2017
    As someone who suffers from a form of psychosis (undiagnosed but my doctor suspects possible mild schizophrenia), I can say that I don't find the trait offensive at all and often find it hilarious. My insane Sim is one of my favorites, his crazy antics make me laugh all the time. Like others have stated, I don't really equate "insane" with mentally ill, to me insanity is like a temporary mindset that can be triggered by certain circumstances, and while in the Sims insanity is more permanent if the trait is given to a Sim, it's still done in a light heated, silly manner.

All of the traits in the game are exaggerated examples of real qualities that people can have. Being mad about the insane trait while not being offended by, say, traits like glutton or hot-headed or lazy, just doesn't make sense to me. Should someone who is overweight complain that the lazy trait is a negative stereotype of sedentary people? I don't think so. Being lazy might be a lifestyle choice sometimes but there are other reasons that could cause a person to be lazy, like a disability, chronic fatigue, or working long hours at a job that doesn't involve much physical activity. Should we not have the lazy trait because someone who fits the profile of one of the things I mentioned gets offended at the trait? Should every person who has anger management issues get offended about the hot headed trait?

Where do we draw the line between silly stuff in a game that isn't meant to be taken seriously, and legitimate concern over the objectification of certain personality types?

I for one find the traits in the Sims games to be silly and humorous. The series in general doesn't really lend itself to very serious play because it is goofy in its very nature. And just like I always decry those who complain about the game not being realistic enough, I say the same about the traits....it's not meant to be realistic and it isn't meant to be taken super seriously.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited January 2017
    On one level, I agree with you.

On another, I would argue that the game is virtually nothing but stereotypes and poking fun at human tropes. And it's designed that way both to save time and to give people blocky templates with which they can make their own narratives.

Some examples of what I mean:
    - Romantic sims tend to become Flirty. Is this even true? I guess if it's taken literally, as in, they are into doing romantic gestures. But some people are romantic without being extra flirty. The trait could really just be called "Flirty" and it would probably be more on the nose.
    - Gloomy. People being chronically sad (depression) is serious business. So if one wanted to, they could take this trait the wrong way. I just take it as that guy/gal who is morose about things a lot without actually being depressed.
    - Hot-Headed. Haha, some people have horrible tempers and do terrible things because of it. Not really funny in RL, but you see where I'm going with this?

I mean, there's even a trait called Kleptomaniac. Like "haha, they have a debilitating impulse to steal things."

If you go down the list, you could get annoyed at a lot of the traits. Personally, I think there's something therapeutic in being able to whimsically embrace the stereotypes. Heck, I have dealt with being socially awkward for most of my life and I made a mod trait called Socially Awkward. I gravitated toward making that kind of trait, specifically, because 1) I wanted it to be represented in my game in some way (cause it's a real experience that happens to a lot of people) and 2) Laughter, whimsy, and distancing can be a good way to relieve the tension.

I can readily see the problems with the Insane trait being too generalized, but at the same time, would you see it as ok if they put in different versions of the trait that represent different disorders? That's not a rhetorical question; I'm curious. Maybe more precise representation would be better than no representation. It seems like it's a shaky line where medical conditions get involved though. Insane is sort of a childish, whimsy representation of medical conditions that debilitate one's perception of reality. Perhaps if it was too specific, it would dredge up too much pain and if it was too general, it would be accused of avoiding representing real conditions. I don't know that there's really a win-win here.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I feel like Sims all seem to have mental illnesses regardless of whether you give them the Insane trait or not. That's what happens when you have a human personality simplified to three traits.

I have High Functioning Autism, btw
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    edited February 2017
    What's really not well portrayed it their fits of anger. Out of nowhere they'll throw an insult or start yelling at other sims. Well I don't know of any mental illnesses that makes a person do that. Most may become gloomy or have an epiphany or two every day, but please save the bursts of anger for traits that would really need it, like hot headed, mean or evil. I don't mind seeing mental illnesses being poked fun at, as long as it's not in a discriminating way, and right now I feel like it's making insane sims undesirables to just avoid. Stick with funny.
  • TJKazuha09TJKazuha09 Posts: 74 Member
    Mental Illness? Almost every person in this world has it. to begin with, it was the 'diagnosed as someone with mental illness' which is offensive to someone who can understand what I'm saying right now. I have depression and anxiety, but I can read, hear, and understand what others says and i can hear voice in my head telling another thing to me. But I refuse to give up and stay 'sane'.

As someone who have a mental illness, I'll say something: You are overreacting, OP. Unless what you are trying to say is : JUST REMOVE ALL PERSON WITH MENTAL ILLNESS. THEY DON'T DESERVE TO BE IN A GAME.
  • DKguruArtistDKguruArtist Posts: 292 Member
    ZhakiraP wrote: »
    Since the trait is just "insane" and not a specific disorder I fail to see how it is controversial.

Are you saying people with mental disorders are insane?

I'm saying that the very concept of "insanity" comes from the fact that people with mental illnesses are often presumed to be incompetent or less deserving of human rights. The word "insane" itself refers to someone who is, mentally, "not all there." This trait could have easily been called "Moody" or "Weird" or "Eccentric," and references to things like "the voices" and speaking gibberish could have been left out. I mean, the Gloomy trait isn't called "Depressed," and the "Evil" trait isn't called "Sociopathic."

I mean, there's a stigma against mental illness as a whole, not just specific disorders.

Again, to sum things up, there's really two things I have a problem with here:

1. The name of the trait, since it has very negative connotations regarding people with mental disorders.
    2. References to real-life symptoms of mental illness like "hearing voices," when it's played for laughs.

Maybe should changed trait name to "crazy" instead of insane, probably most who heard about a crazy cat person or some weird person living out ina forest somewhere. That might not actually be mentally ill but just have some really bizarre behavior compared to normal social standards.
  • SimmeringBreeSimmeringBree Posts: 266 Member
    With all respect I don't get what you're asking, do you want them to take the insane trait out? I think some simmers forget how this game is too appeal other people so having the insane trait is a weird yet wonderful trait to the game and I'm my opinion I think it's nothing more then a trait what would the EA be if they made TS4 sensitive, it would be basic and boring. -B
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    With all respect I don't get what you're asking, do you want them to take the insane trait out? I think some simmers forget how this game is too appeal other people so having the insane trait is a weird yet wonderful trait to the game and I'm my opinion I think it's nothing more then a trait what would the EA be if they made TS4 sensitive, it would be basic and boring. -B

The OP doesn't want the insane trait taken out..just to be more respectful in future Generations of the Sims of NOT "hearing voices" in their head. Since hearing voices MOST of the time not ALL the time-is a sign of Mental Health and it's kind of upsetting for someone like the OP to deal with that since to his POV..it's making fun of mental illness.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • TsuInariTsuInari Posts: 3 New Member
    Okay, first thing first. I actually looked at the meaning of the word of 'insane' and this is what I most commonly get.

"In a state of mind which prevents normal perception, behavior and/or social interaction."

In no whatsoever way does it says about mental illness like depressions, anxiety and/or psychosis. It's just basically the state of mind. And from what I can see from other is saying, it just simply alters a Sim's personality for short bit of time to be in different state of mind for short period of time before reverting back to normal. I just simply assume that the Sim Squiggles are part of the perception/social alternation.

I just think it provides an unique way to play the game, especially when they are hard to control and fond of. Hell, if I really wanted to, I can make Deadpool and give him Romantic, Athletic and Insane traits. It's just that they suit him well. So I have a question; why not just avoid the trait or go full out and managed the entire world to prevent the Insane trait in your game?

I have no issue with this thread, but it is kind of unnecessary to make a post about it. Yes, there are people that thinks the same as you, but do you see them making threads about it? Far as I can tell or even remember seeing the titles, no. So what's the purpose beside stirring up the pot, as you have said before. This is sort of issue no one wants to make it real or serious.

So my advice for us to shut up about it? Don't respond back, don't even make a quip about how strange the trait 'Insane' is beside as a joke and let it be. The game developers has made it this way, and I am sure they would take in considerations of the stigmas surrounding that word before using it in their coding. I'm sorry that this is rude to you, but for you to bring this issue that wasn't even on in a first place is kind of rude too. After all, I also assume that you have played with Sims that have Insane traits before. Do they truly represent any of the mental illness beside the common stigma? From what I can tell, I don't think Insane trait is going to be an issue, as long GDs doesn't go overboard on it in TS5.

• ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    edited February 2017
    I was a little bothered by the trait in Sims 3 (I thought it cut a little too close to schizophrenia when some sims would start having arguments with themselves). But it doesn't bother me at all in Sims 4, I guess because it comes across more as the Looney Tunes idea of crazy, which was a character that was very random, over the top and eccentric, not "mentally ill" at all.

Kind of like this guy:

74aedbbaf1980cf2192a0f06ab40a4da.jpg

EiFlric.png
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    @SuperCoolRachael I completely understand where you're coming from. I have a very close family member with severe schizophrenia, and I get really tired of the "hearing voices is so funny!" perspective. I've struggled with my own feelings about the insane trait because I don't WANT it to bother me, and I do like to play with it. I think that it's just the 'voices' reference that hits too close. So I would also like to see that part tweaked a little in the wording, or changed up a bit in future iterations, and I think that all of your suggestions are extremely fair ones.

I think, too, that unless a person has actually been witness to, or a recipient of, the damage that this kind of disorder does to a person and/or their family, they just won't be able to understand this perspective, and that's unfortunate. But I certainly wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Peace to you.
    #Team Occult
  • simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    I remember back in TS2 when a sim would undergo aspiration failure and require a Sim Shrink to come and visit. It was like the IF - only something the affected sim could see. The sim might also pull out a flour sack with a face on it and rock it like a baby while its own children were ignored. Would this be a better representation compared to TS3 and TS4?
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • HeidrHeidr Posts: 148 Member
    edited February 2017
    To be honest, this topic is a little sensitive and will never have solution. People who has mental illness are not always denial. Most of them who truly suffer it (Like, not a person who are just stressed by their surrounding and act like a person with mental illness, also, not just a person who is seeking for attention/pity from others) admit themselves as someone with mental illness and hoping that someone will treat them like a normal person. They don't want other to feel uncomfortable around them, they don't want other to feel insecure, and most of them doesn't want to be treated specially because it makes them feel different. The more people want to act like a "hero", the more they feel different and it will makes them feel uncomfortable. Trust me, all they want is to have a friend who can stay and survive them.

I vote to let this trait be and stop over thinking it. This trait is only mean that a "sim" will act/feel randomly. Not a tool to make fun of them who has mental illness. If you think that "omg people will think that it's funny and it will offend them", be careful, you might be the one who offend them because you are overreacting. Telling this trait to be removed might made they who actually suffer it think that you want to remove them from their existence to make the life simulator game 'perfect'.

Gullveig wrote: »
    To be honest, this topic is a little sensitive and will never have solution. People who has mental illness are not always denial. Most of them who truly suffer it (Like, not a person who are just stressed by their surrounding and act like a person with mental illness, also, not just a person who is seeking for attention/pity from others) admit themselves as someone with mental illness and hoping that someone will treat them like a normal person. They don't want other to feel uncomfortable around them, they don't want other to feel insecure, and most of them doesn't want to be treated specially because it makes them feel different. The more people want to act like a "hero", the more they feel different and it will makes them feel uncomfortable. Trust me, all they want is to have a friend who can stay and survive them.

I vote to let this trait be and stop over thinking it. This trait is only mean that a "sim" will act/feel randomly. Not a tool to make fun of them who has mental illness. If you think that "omg people will think that it's funny and it will offend them", be careful, you might be the one who offend them because you are overreacting. Telling this trait to be removed might made they who actually suffer it think that you want to remove them from their existence to make the life simulator game 'perfect'.

I understand what you're saying, and it definitely is a sensitive issue, that's the whole point. But I think you misunderstood.... no one is asking for the trait to be removed. People are merely requesting that, in the future, they don't try to tie "insanity" to a specific mental illness, or that they simply rename it. The idea is that by making a reference to "hearing voices", they are stating that those people are insane, and because the Sims is a parody of life, it is walking a very fine line of laughing at those who suffer from those symptoms. And believe me when I say that "suffer" is the correct word here. Many schizophrenics who hear voices do not believe that they are mentally ill, and refuse treatment, despite it having a destructive and very stressful effect on their lives. I can't imagine anyone who would take kindly to seeing their personal, private experiences being categorized for them in a video game that's meant to be lighthearted.

Look, I play with the trait myself. I know what the devs were going for with it. I wouldn't want it to be completely erased from the series either, I have certain character sims who require it to make their behavior suitable for who they are. But there is no reason the trait can't just remain a fictional "insanity" in a fictional world. This can be done by leaving out references to real world symptoms and just using more nonsense terms, or just callling it something else, like 'eccentric'. I don't see what the big deal is. The trait would still exist and still work just like it always has. People would probably not even notice the difference.
    #Team Occult
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

I understand what you're saying, and it definitely is a sensitive issue, that's the whole point. But I think you misunderstood.... no one is asking for the trait to be removed. People are merely requesting that, in the future, they don't try to tie "insanity" to a specific mental illness, or that they simply rename it. The idea is that by making a reference to "hearing voices", they are stating that those people are insane, and because the Sims is a parody of life, it is walking a very fine line of laughing at those who suffer from those symptoms. And believe me when I say that "suffer" is the correct word here. Many schizophrenics who hear voices do not believe that they are mentally ill, and refuse treatment, despite it having a destructive and very stressful effect on their lives. I can't imagine anyone who would take kindly to seeing their personal, private experiences being categorized for them in a video game that's meant to be lighthearted.

Look, I play with the trait myself. I know what the devs were going for with it. I wouldn't want it to be completely erased from the series either, I have certain character sims who require it to make their behavior suitable for who they are. But there is no reason the trait can't just remain a fictional "insanity" in a fictional world. This can be done by leaving out references to real world symptoms and just using more nonsense terms, or just callling it something else, like 'eccentric'. I don't see what the big deal is. The trait would still exist and still work just like it always has. People would probably not even notice the difference.

I would notice. I actually *like* the insane trait just the way it is. And btw, it's YOU that is assuming this is what the trait means. I think it's only people in this thread that are relating any RL mental illness with an in game trait. Not once have I seen EA say "our insane trait is based on..."

If you're insane you do insane stuff, talking to people (or voices) that are not there could be considered insane. I suggest you just get over it. It's a game. It's not aimed at RL issues.

And as somebody with a REAL mental illness, I refuse to be defined by it and am quite capable of comprehending that a game is just a game and no refelection on what *might* be going on in my (or anybody else's) head.

--T
    To7m wrote: »

I would notice. I actually *like* the insane trait just the way it is. And btw, it's YOU that is assuming this is what the trait means. I think it's only people in this thread that are relating any RL mental illness with an in game trait. Not once have I seen EA say "our insane trait is based on..."

If you're insane you do insane stuff, talking to people (or voices) that are not there could be considered insane. I suggest you just get over it. It's a game. It's not aimed at RL issues.

And as somebody with a REAL mental illness, I refuse to be defined by it and am quite capable of comprehending that a game is just a game and no refelection on what *might* be going on in my (or anybody else's) head.

--T

No one claimed that EA/Maxis intentionally designed the insane trait after a specific mental illness. People are merely requesting more awareness when designing it in the future because it does carry certain connotations in part. Just because you aren't bothered by it doesn't mean others aren't, and that's why this thread exists.

This is the feedback section. People voice their feedback, whether you like it or not. Sure, you don't have to agree and you're free to voice that too, but some of us feel it's important enough to say something about it, and we have. I can understand being bent out of shape if this thread was calling for a ban on the trait, or to have it changed now, in the current series, but I mean, come on, we don't even know if there is going to be another sims game, lol.

In any case, I still stand by the OP on this. Let the devs decide what they will.
    #Team Occult
  • PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    edited March 2017
    To7m wrote: »

--T

No one claimed that EA/Maxis intentionally designed the insane trait after a specific mental illness. People are merely requesting more awareness when designing it in the future because it does carry certain connotations in part. Just because you aren't bothered by it doesn't mean others aren't, and that's why this thread exists.

This is the feedback section. People voice their feedback, whether you like it or not. Sure, you don't have to agree and you're free to voice that too, but some of us feel it's important enough to say something about it, and we have. I can understand being bent out of shape if this thread was calling for a ban on the trait, or to have it changed now, in the current series, but I mean, come on, we don't even know if there is going to be another sims game, lol.

In any case, I still stand by the OP on this. Let the devs decide what they will.

You can't please averyone, and censoring jokes just because someone is uncomfortable with them is not the way to go.
    Sims 4 is already the most PC game out of the series.
    In sims 2 we had the crazy bunny and psychiatrist that would show up if your sim had a stressful week. They were hilarious. It was original.
    Now in the sims 4 we have the insane trait which is basically me on PMS.
    Insane trait in Sims 4 is not a mentally diagnosed insanity. You're being offensive to real mentally ill people if you as much as assume that insane trait has anything to do with actual mental disorders.

Now... The voices argument. The voices in my head told me that they're offended you find them offensive. Now the voices are sad. Look what you've done.
    The point is be more lighthearted about things. People can find reasons to be offended in anything. The only question is "should they"?
    If you take things easier, it will be better for you in the long run. Less stress, you know... It's better to laugh at difficult matters than to take them to the heart.

Post edited by PrincessVee on
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    A lot of traits could cover mental problems. In fact most of the sims have severe mental issues....like the obsession with sinks and glasses of water.

I find it pretty difficult to make a sim with my traits in TS4 unfortunately. Someone that does not need or desire social contact ever. I'm an introvert with SAD. The loner trait doesn't accurately reflect anxiety disorder well enough for me. I go LONG periods of time without gabbing to people, beyond what's required for tasks. The sims in TS4 are way to extroverted.