Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monthly SimLits - A Short Story Challenge with new themes every month and voting for winners

Comments

• lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    Voted .. GL all
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    Voted! I've wanted to enter so long, maybe this month.
  • SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    edited March 2017
    Here we go, guys! Here's this month's theme. :D

February's Theme: A Picture's Worth A Thousand Words

This month is a bit more complicated! Create a story using an emotion or idea tied to one of the following colors -- red, white, pink, or purple. For example, red is usually tied to love or passion, so a love story would be perfect. Make sure to include the color you choose somewhere in your story!

Special Rules:
    Surprise! In the spirit of the holiday, you guys get a few extra things this month! 500-2000 words, and 1-15 screenshots this month. :)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Submissions:

@rednenemon with Like The Red String Of Fate (NSFW)
    @Weathie with Cerise
    @mastressalita with Winter's Touch
    @CathyTea with Laurie and Me
    @cully_c with Blacker Than White
    @AkramA with Netherworld
    @Thymeless with Red Skies
    @lisabee2 with Zoe's Tears
    @Cement with Weird Neighbor Nosy Neighbor
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "For Fun" Entries: (Any stories listed here are inspired by the monthly theme, but don't follow all the rules of the challenge and aren't in the monthly poll. Sometimes writers can't put limits on their creativity, and that's all good. Enjoy!)
    Post edited by SilentWolf101 on
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
  • chealsycatchealsycat Posts: 2,974 Member
    Voted. Awesome entries. :star:
    Love the February theme. :)
  • WeathieWeathie Posts: 486 Member
    Will definitely be entering the Feb theme!
    Have cast my votes for January, good luck to everyone, amazing writing <3
    untitled-1.png

• rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    I voted!

And I already know what to write for a February theme. :)
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    I have an idea of what I want to write for February... actually I have two ideas, they are both ideas I had for previous months that didn't "make the cut" hahahaha!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Just voted :) Wonderful reads as always.

The February theme seems really attractive (did I make a pun...?). Maybe I'll squeeze something out toward the end of the month again? These are pretty fun to do.
  • sweetnightingalesweetnightingale Posts: 2,084 Member
    I didn't get a chance to vote. I thought the survey would be open till 11:59 but it looks like it closed early. I'd love to vote if it can be reopened. Thanks.
    36314395402_b6f8316264_z.jpg]
    Simming With Sweet Nightingale.Forever in Time, Short Stories, and much more
  • mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    It's because it's on GMT (Greenwich Mean Time), I think that's why on the last day so many people have been missing the cut-off. I always get my votes in a day before the last day just because of that (I'm pretty bad with timezone conversion from GMT O_O )
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
    It's because it's on GMT (Greenwich Mean Time), I think that's why on the last day so many people have been missing the cut-off. I always get my votes in a day before the last day just because of that (I'm pretty bad with timezone conversion from GMT O_O )

Ya...I always have a hard time relating that to Central Time. It was around 9:45 PM my time (Central) I tried to vote, so I thought I still had time. Well, live and learn, I guess. :disappointed:
  • ValoisFulcanelliValoisFulcanelli Posts: 672 Member
    edited February 2017
    I always have a hard time relating that to Central Time. It was around 9:45 PM my time (Central) I tried to vote, so I thought I still had time.

As a Brit who has had to learn to think in four different time zones (as well as my own) here are a few tips:

For GMT relative to any US time zone, look at a clock and add the following to get GMT:
    • From Eastern add 5
    • From Central add 6
    • From Mountain add 7
    • From Pacific add 8
    I find an analogue clock with a face is quicker and easier to do this with, since it takes less than a second to visually sweep your gaze across from (for example) the nine to the three, or the one to the seven, rather than mentally adding numbers together.

Since you're Central, 9:45pm would have been 3:45am GMT, almost four hours too late. You need to vote before 5:59pm Central in order to get in before the cut-off time. (But please bear in mind the last point I make in this post, regarding Daylight Savings.)

Other things that might help:

The current time in London (as per the World Time and Date website).

Click the taskbar clock on your computer (assuming you're running Windows) and you'll see an option under 'Change date and time settings' to add additional clocks. Once you've set those new clocks, clicking on the taskbar clock will show all of your clocks in analogue format. I have my main GMT clock, plus two additional ones for Eastern and Pacific, for a quick glance) -

clocks01.jpg

clocks02.jpg

The Foxclocks extension (Firefox and Chrome) will place tiny digital clocks for any time zone you choose into your taskbar or toolbar.

Lastly, be careful in March and November and make sure you vote at least an hour earlier than you normally would. BST (British Summertime) doesn't follow the same dates as US Daylight Savings. As a rule, we get around three weeks less of summer than the States does. This year the dates for Daylight Savings and BST are as follows (they change every year) -

US DST begins: Sunday March 12th 2017
    UK BST begins: Sunday March 26th 2017

US DST ends: Sunday Nov 5th 2017
    UK BST ends: Sunday Oct 29th 2017

At the end of each year I just google 'daylight savings 2017' (or whatever year is coming up) and note down the dates. The Wikipedia site gives the longest list, so I usually go by that.

Hope that helps :)
    Post edited by ValoisFulcanelli on
    tfb.jpg
    At the end of each year I just google 'daylight savings 2017' (or whatever year is coming up) and note down the dates. The Wikipedia site gives the longest list, so I usually go by that.

Hope that helps :)

That helps quite a bit, thank you. :)
    edited February 2017
    I am still going to ask that it be reopened briefly. If memory serves me correctly, it was reopened for @CathyTea last month because she messed up,the time. It was even extended to around the 10th. I wouldn't need that long to vote and from now on, I'll just get my votes in a day early if things continue on GMT. I'd greatly appreciate it but I guess if not, I snooze, I lose.
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    @ValoisFulcanelli Thank you for that explanation :)
    I'll look into seeing if @Spottydog714 can re-open it.
    This probably won't be a problem in the future as @SilentWolf101 will be taking over the voting, and we will be changing it back to central time to accommodate for the two of our native time zones.
    Pegasus143 wrote: »
    This probably won't be a problem in the future as @SilentWolf101 will be taking over the voting, and we will be changing it back to central time to accommodate for the two of our native time zones.

Oh, that would be wonderful if that can happen. :) If it hadn't already happened to someone else earlier on, I wouldn't have even asked for the reopening and would have just taken it on the chin and gone on. I know folks are anxious to get results. I'm usually pretty early in getting my votes in but it was kind of a goofball week which made my Sims related stuff have to be put on the back burner for a few days. Anyway, US time zones are much easier for me to deal with. LOL!

Could even take her vote in PM and just add to the results .. that way it save the hassle at polldaddy
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    @lisabee2 Since we don't know who voted through the official poll, this could lead to people voting multiple times without our knowledge, which could greatly sway the results.
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    @lisabee2 Since we don't know who voted through the official poll, this could lead to people voting multiple times without our knowledge, which could greatly sway the results.

I'd love if you could reopen! I got confused on the dates this time (not time zones, but dates... I forgot what day it was, which is weird because I had Jury Duty today, so Feb. 8 was emblazoned on my mind--but I think that happened was that it pushed out everything else. Like "All Things Stop for Jury Duty." :) )
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!

True true .. did not think of that
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Spottydog714Spottydog714 Posts: 2,518 Member
    Sorry for the time zone confusion everyone, but as I'm late, I thought I'd post the results anyhow,
    Results Are In!

Okay, so the results for January 2017 are IN!

Thank you to everyone to voted and everyone who participated.

In third place we have:

To Everything There is a Season by @sweetnightingale , The Heart of a Poet by @ValoisFulcanelli and The Bark in the Forest by @rednenemon

In second place we have:

Invisible by @lisabee2

And in first we have:

A Foreboding Dream by @Cement and Unintended by @Weathie

I'm resigning my duties as an organiser, as some of you may have realised. Congratulations to our winners :)
    EkpFDaf.png
    Stories: Looking For Mum's Murderer | The Bachelorette | Fifteen
    Well...I didn't get to vote but I'm stoked that my story actually placed. :) I was totally and pleasantly shocked, as I didn't think it was my best work. I'm glad I was proven wrong, seeing as how it made it into the top 3...or 5 since we had a 3-way tie for 3rd. Congrats to the other winners. Wonderful stories, as always :)
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    Yay, I actually placed! :D

Everyone's stories were great. :)
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    As stated before, Spottydog is stepping down from her role as voter, and from here on out, I will be stepping up as the voter. :) Expect the time to go back to CMT time. :) I plan on giving warnings on at least the last day of voting to make sure that people have a chance to vote. :)
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
    edited February 2017
    TY Everyone .. was a great story month :) Good competition!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger