Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

do you put your CC in seperate folders??

i already have lots of toddler CC and because it is only new game stuff i have been putting it in one folder so incase something isnt working/crashes the game i can find it more easy

Comments

• Options
    chensaytaylorchensaytaylor Posts: 700 Member
    Yes I do. I put everything I add that day in a folder and if something goes wrong I can easily check to see which it was. IF they all work and I like them I have other categories I drop them in. (hair, dresses etc)
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    Such a good idea. I was afraid the CC wouldn't work if it was in folders. I have all CC in the main mod folder.
  • Options
    AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    I separate mine by hair, shirts, pants, dresses, etc. I don't separate them out any further than that and they work just fine and always have.
  • Options
    kokoro80kokoro80 Posts: 651 Member
    I separate mine by category, I only have CAS items so I have structured it like the CAS categories (tops, bottoms, full body etc.) I also have a folder called 'new' which is where I dump newly downloaded things I need to test out and then decide later to delete or move to the correct category if I decide to keep it.
  • Options
    FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    Right now I only have a separate folder for my game mods, all the cc is just dumped together

I really want to clean everything up and sort my cc tho, but I have around 1000 different files and I'm so lazy :joy:
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • Options
    crazymammothcrazymammoth Posts: 238 Member
    just a note guys if your game ever starts to get really laggy from all the CC you may want to DL S4PE (sims 4 package editor) load all the CC you KNOW you love into it and fuse them together as 1 package

game starts to lag when it has to load a bunch of different files 1 after the other

you can search youtube for a tutorial even non CC creators can do this easy step to make your game run smoother

just make a back up folder incase something goes wrong
    Origin ID: CrazyMammoth
    http://crazymammoth.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    @crazymammoth Might just be me, but I don't see how that helps. If you have them in separate packages the game has to load all the files, I get that, but if you merge them all into one package then it might only have to read 1 package, but it still has to load/read all the coding that's inside that one package, and since you just merged it, there's a bunch of codes to read.
  • Options
    mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
    just a note guys if your game ever starts to get really laggy from all the CC you may want to DL S4PE (sims 4 package editor) load all the CC you KNOW you love into it and fuse them together as 1 package

game starts to lag when it has to load a bunch of different files 1 after the other

you can search youtube for a tutorial even non CC creators can do this easy step to make your game run smoother

So I take it they fixed issues with the program? I always used this method for package files in TS3, but when I gave merging a try for TS4 (about a year ago now), the merged files crashed my game upon loading. So long as they were all separate, the game loads fine though a bit slow. I will probably need to try again.

To OP, I have been a very lazy simmer and have been dumping my cc packages all together since launch. I have around 12k package files, not including the 1000 files I pulled out just last night because I'm trying to find what files are causing a few bugs in my game. For TS3, I have a system where I separate, test and eventually merge together cc as I accumulate it, and this has worked out well in the sense that it's always been really easy to identify conflicts and get rid of cc that's glitching my game. I'm looking to implement this in TS4, because I'm finding that as more EA content is released, the more bugs crop up from cc conflicts even worse than they did in TS3.

I'm already kicking myself for not staying on top of it better, because at best, I'm going to have to weed through 1000 files to fix my issues. At worst, 12,000 files. Here's hoping that my issues are somewhere in the smaller batch that were flagged as conflicting by TS4 Mod Conflict Detector.
  • Options
    brntwafflesbrntwaffles Posts: 130 Member
    I have it all separated into different folders on my large hard drive, and then I have a merged version of each folder in my mods folder on a ssd, so I only run the game with about 10 mods even though it's 6gb of mods haha.

It makes the game load really fast this way. I went from a three minute loading screen to 30 seconds. (Just booting up the game)
  • Options
    jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    edited January 2017
    I have separate folders for everything, dresses, gameplay, make up etc and a test folder stuff hangs out in until I've run the game a few times in case there's a conflict/problem. When it has the all clear it goes in the proper folder. As MCC has added stuff my gameplay folder is almost empty. The toddler patch mucked up my smaller mosaic mod though (don't want rid of it, just smaller) so I'm looking for options to replace that!

Edit-

That's a very good idea, I may have to do a cc sort after I install the vamps pack.
  • Options
    Haids5987Haids5987 Posts: 8,465 Member
    I have crazy organized CC folders, everything is nested within a category (Adult Female Formalwear, Kitchen Appliances, etc) with s Notepad document including the link where I downloaded it. But I have really found that I stay super organized with the Sims 4 Mod Manager. You get it from ModtheSims and I looooooooooove it! It keeps my crazy organization technique in check! :)
    signature2.png?ssl=1&w=450
    **Also known as EmeraldCityTaurus***
  • Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    Such a good idea. I was afraid the CC wouldn't work if it was in folders. I have all CC in the main mod folder.

The code in the Resource.cfg file allows to have 5 sub-folders inside each other, I think, so you can most definitely have multiple ones.

Since I use a ton of CC, I separate them all by main categories first (CAS, Accessories, Clothes, Hair, Shoes, Furniture, Decorations, Build, etc.), then inside those categories, I have different sub-folders (CAS has skins, eyes, makeup, tattoos, skin details, etc. Clothes have sub-folders for each gender and age and inside those there's tops, bottoms, outfits, etc.) I also delete all spaces and special characters from the files and try to make the names as short as possible (but always include the creator's name). Not sure if that makes any difference but some people say it does. Obviously if you have few CC it doesn't compensate to have so many sub-folders, but if like me, you have over 5GB, then it's good to have it all organized because it's easier to spot bad CC that way. Oh and I also separate new CC in a different folder to test it first.

I also make sure I don't have duplicate items. For example, there are a lot of recolors of objects, hairs, etc. and most of the times I prefer the recolors than the original ones, but you need the mesh for the recolors to work, so you end up with two separate identical items but in different colors. So I use this method to basically hide the original file (the mesh) and only the recolors show up. It saves a lot of space in CAS/buy mode and it's less a few items to load which is great!
  • Options
    EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    I put new stuff in a single folder until it's tested/I decide I want to keep it. Then things go into separate folders. I don't hyper organize, though I know some people do. I just have general categories such as hair, clothes, makeup, etc. Though I've considered organizing the folders by creator/source. I might do that one day when I have some free time on my hands.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    Yes I do, I have newly added CC in on folder as well a sub folders which are the labeled the same for when I move to them to safe folders. That way I can find which ones are corrupted much quicker and easier then just putting them all into one folder. I tend to go on CC binges and will downloads hundreds of files at once.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I usually keep my newly downloaded Mods/CC in my main Mods folder, for that very reason. If everything works fine, then I'll move it to my organized folders after I'm done playing.

A good example of how I organize my stuff (CC in particular):
    Example%20B.%20-%20Copy.jpg

I don't often organize by Creator, unless I've downloaded a lot of their work or it's a part of a set (like MC Command Center).
  • Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    Yes I do organise it into separate folders. I don't use many cc/mods at all, but have them organised just in case I add to them in the future. I also keep a backup copy of the mod folder as well, that's in addition to the game backups. TS2 taught me the importance of backing stuff up. :)
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member

Thanks for posting this! :) I found the program & packaged 90 pieces of my favorite CC.
  • Options
    ChloeDeCookieChloeDeCookie Posts: 2,467 Member
    I thought that this wouldn't work so I haven't. Now I have about 2k or 3k mods and cc so its gonna be so difficult to sort them. Any advice?
    To all you beautiful people out there, have a lovely day.
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    edited January 2017
    I thought that this wouldn't work so I haven't. Now I have about 2k or 3k mods and cc so its gonna be so difficult to sort them. Any advice?

@ChloeDeCookie If you have Sims 4 Studio, there's a button called "My CC". If you click on that, it'll bring up everything in your mods folder. If you click on a mod, it'll be blank, but clicking on CC will reveal an image of what the item is. This is a helpful way to sort your CC into different categories.
  • Options
    BleubellBleubell Posts: 457 Member
    I always do because it keeps everything organized and helps me batch test stuff if there's a bug, it goes way faster.
    tumblr: brooklynsims / cc finds blog: brooklynsimscc
    thank you thread