Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anyone use the Memories thing?

NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,894 Member
A Simmer reminded me the other day that we used to have a sort of memory timeline detailing the big (and sometimes not so big) events in our Sims lives.
Things like mastering skills, going steady with a new boyfriend/girlfriend, graduations, first kisses, engagements, new jobs, weddings, births etc etc etc.

I understand that there is a more complicated and slightly less accessible system in TS4.

Does anyone use it? If so, what sort of things might I like to know about it in order to start using it for myself?

Comments

• iamthekiamthek Posts: 56 Member
    I guess I'm not helping you but I'm really surprised about this fact. I used the memories thing in the TS3 and I missed it in TS4. I thought they dropped it. Hopefully someone will tell us more about it.
    "Have a good look, kids! That's how you catch tasty Sims!", said the mothercowplant to her babies. <3
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    You mean in TS2?

I didn't. I just let it do whatever it wants automatically. I feel like the only simmer who doesn't use it. Don't judge me. :D

I don't think there's any for TS4 other than just taking a screenshot of that moment and then going into the screenshot manager (at the bottom middle of the screen) and then make it a memory and typing in your own comments about that moment.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,894 Member
    Sorta @DeKay. What does making the memory do?
  • ChristinabeeChristinabee Posts: 22 Member
    I very much miss the memories timeline in both 2 and 3. It was such a cute part of the game! I'm not sure if it's the same thing that you're talking about... but, in 4 there is the screenshot capture manager that can make a screenshot a memory. You can also type up a blurb about the moment and also add or remove tags for sims (if it recognizes that they're there). From there, the current sim that you're playing can reminisce about the memory and gain it's moodlet. To help me remember story plots, I take an insane amount of screenshots and so, I use the manager a fair amount. It's also an easy way to get an ideal mood or requirement for jobs. Aside from that though, it's kinda meh. Unless I'm using it wrong or there's a way cooler system than I don't know of!
    That's closer to what I'm asking. @Christinabee
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Memories?
    No than it TS3 Generations?
    NRowe wrote: »
    That's closer to what I'm asking. @Christinabee

Okay yeah basically she already said whatever the TS4 memories do.
    832XG3D.gif
  • Sim2SporeSim2Spore Posts: 284 Member
    edited January 2017
    The memory feature in TS4 is used to allow sims to "reminisce" to gain a certain emotion based on the emotion that you assigned to the screenshot. In the Screenshot Capture Manager, after you turn a picture into a memory, the icon under the picture changes, and allows you to View the memory, and from there, Reminisce about the memory for a free moodlet.

You access it by going to the Camera Options (the little shutter symbol at the bottom of the screen, next to speed 3) and clicking on the Screenshot Capture Manager button (the little picture of mountains).

After they patched it, the emotion is automatically detected based on what's happening in the picture. The downside to this is sometimes the player has a different emotion in mind for a moment, depending on the context.
    I don't really use the feature myself because I take thousands of screenshots, so the SCM takes forever to load them all, and it sorts the most recent ones to the very bottom (why?).

Edit: my bad, didn't see someone already answered!
    So it doesn't make a smaller, linear album thing of the memories only? The only way to access them is through screenshot manager?
    NRowe wrote: »
    So it doesn't make a smaller, linear album thing of the memories only? The only way to access them is through screenshot manager?

Yes.
    832XG3D.gif
  • JasonSim16JasonSim16 Posts: 466 Member
    It always got on my nerves in TS3, I always disabled it.
    71rbpi.png
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I used to use the screenshot memory thing until EA destroyed it with a patch. They completely revamped it to the point where it is no longer fun or useful.
  • SimmerMarsSimmerMars Posts: 242 Member
    I used the photo album a lot on TS3 but right now I don't use it for 4. I clean out my SS folder every time I quit playing just as I do with the cache files. I delete whatever photos I don't want and the rest go to photobucket. For me adding a memory is a waste simply because I never keep them in the game files.
    Origin ID: Bosslady216
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    I really want TS2 memory line back. The "photo memory" system is a) manual, b) shared for the whole household c) still doesn't make my sim remember who the sim that died was, they just know that they should feel sad T_T
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    You can make screenshots a memory but no thanks :)
  • jjenni92jjenni92 Posts: 12 New Member
    I have never really used it. I have taken screenshots during the major milestones, but I don't even go back to look at those that often. I am just under-educated on the feature I think. It doesn't seem like it was highlighted that much, but I remember it getting mentioned once during the tutorial.
  • iriefthiiriefthi Posts: 1,073 Member
    I used it in sims 3 i liked it more than now.. in sims 4 i never use it...
  • SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    I used to use it a lot in ts4 until they changed it so you can't assign a specific emotion to it, the game does it for you. I had a sim die and took the screenshots I wanted it to be a sad memory, but because the game picks the emotion it comes up as a confident memory. So when my sim reminisces about her mother dying she becomes confident. Yeah, I don't use it anymore since they changed it. I really miss the one from ts2... :'(
  • PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited January 2017
    What I hate about the current system is that the album loads all the screenshots in your game (Even those you took in another household) so it takes forever to load and it's messy for us rotational players. I wish the screenshot manager worked like the family album in TS2 which only had the pictures of the played household.
  • tegteg87tegteg87 Posts: 305 Member
    It's not intuitive to use and I think all photos that sims take of themselves end up in there? I tried to use it a couple of times because I miss the linear memory system of previous iterations but there were so many pics in there it took forever to load and the automatic emotion assigned doesn't always match as has been poor pointed out.

I really do miss the previous memory system - it feels right now that Sims are like goldfish and only have awareness of the present. Previous marriages/deaths etc just aren't recorded. Having said that, there was quite a lot of repetition with smaller events being recorded but I'd rather that than what we have now.
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited January 2017
    Urgh, that'll teach me for not looking. I literally just started my own thread with *the same* question. Lol.

We need a generations EP, pronto, with new family relationships, I want my sims to recognise *all* family members even if they are in-laws, shorter teens, freed babie, a proper memory system and more 'homey' type stuff.

--T
  • PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    I think the current system has potential (like many features in this game). They just need to improve the UI so that we can have a proper timeline of events for each sim and not just a bunch of screenshots from everyone and their grandmother you have to go through every time you open tj screenshot manager. I think it would be rather easy to implement: let us filter screenshots by tagged sims and by chronological order, and voila...you have a proper memory timeline.
  • liko211liko211 Posts: 61 Member
    Memories? where is it located then :)?
    liko211 wrote: »

Screenshot capture manager:

TS4_x64-2015-12-04-14-58-57-89.png

See this: https://simsvip.com/2015/12/04/the-sims-4-screenshot-capture-manager/
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    liko211 wrote: »

Screenshot capture manager:

TS4_x64-2015-12-04-14-58-57-89.png

See this: https://simsvip.com/2015/12/04/the-sims-4-screenshot-capture-manager/

You wonderful picture taker! Thank you.

--T