Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Young Child Life State

DcD2510DcD2510 Posts: 646 Member
edited January 2017 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
I think Young Child should be in the game, aged 4 to 8 years old.
Post edited by DcD2510 on

Comments

• Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Maybe it's because I'm not actually American, but the concept of a "preteen" doesn't exist here in Australia.
    Before puberty, you're a child. During puberty, you're a teenager, afterwards, you're in your late teens, and then an adult. There's no such thing as middle school over here (although they're bringing it in, reportedly).

I honestly don't understand the fascination. Puberty, to my eyes, is something that can be accomplished in the Teen life stage very easily.

And honestly, Teens have nothing unique about them, so I would definitely appreciate some puberty gameplay added to them instead of cramming in a whole 'nother stage where we don't really need one.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I'm not actually American, but the concept of a "preteen" doesn't exist here in Australia.
    Before puberty, you're a child. During puberty, you're a teenager, afterwards, you're in your late teens, and then an adult. There's no such thing as middle school over here (although they're bringing it in, reportedly).

I honestly don't understand the fascination. Puberty, to my eyes, is something that can be accomplished in the Teen life stage very easily.

And honestly, Teens have nothing unique about them, so I would definitely appreciate some puberty gameplay added to them instead of cramming in a whole 'nother stage where we don't really need one.
    I'm Aussie too, and yeah, that is the consensus, either Pre Teens in TS4 or make the Teens more unique
  • Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    I would rather have the Teen age altered, to look younger, than a pre-teen stage squished in-between.

But I'd be happy with anything to improve the way it is.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited January 2017
    I have always wanted this. There is a huge difference between real teens and preteens. Teens learn to drive; they have romantic interactions; they specialize in studies; they have proms; they party ect. To say that they are the same is insulting. I have six real kids and they aren't the same. Preteens don't have romantic interactions (this is criminal), nor do they go out partying. Children play and have fun. But, preteens read and sleep a lot. This stage is where they put up the toys from childhood and move on to 4 wheelers and other big toys. Maybe on doll or special toy can be given my favorite childhood toy status and maybe it can be handed down to their child? Maybe they get a special high from sport and gaming as preteens are very interested in this type of play. They get serious about learning and skills and develop relationships more because kids are too busy playing and teens are starting to have their own lives. Preteens have fantasies and get caught daydreaming. I think they should be added in with minimal stuff and a following stuff or gamepack. This could expand books, big kid toys, clothing, hair, animations and traits, and maybe could even have a teacher/school added. :)
  • Options
    TayTayGeeTayTayGee Posts: 313 Member
    edited January 2017
    DcD2510 wrote: »

I'm Aussie too, and yeah, that is the consensus, either Pre Teens in TS4 or make the Teens more unique

I ain't Australian (American) but pre-teens do exist in Australia. Pretty much every part of the world. It's just a child under 13. You might of not heard this term (it is new and modern term for a child).
  • Options
    BeanfootBeanfoot Posts: 602 Member
    I've never really been super crazy about the pre-teen concept, although I'll never say no to new content should the life stage arise. Here is my wishlist for teens:
    • Acne (à la Sims 2 where some teens would be prone to acne and others would only get acne if they let themselves get too grubby)
    • Learn to drive (post-re-introduction of cars)
    • Mood swings
    • "Sneak out" with the re-introduction of coppers
    • Teen-only events like prom/homecoming/spring fling/etc.
    • More awkward body-types: long, lanky limbs, shorter statures and torsos, etc.
    • Body/ear piercings! Teenagers love that stuff. God knows I had loads of piercing needles shoved through my skin when I was 18.
    • Manual modes of transportation like skateboards, bicycles, scooters, etc.
    • Headphones/iPods

That's just off the top of my head, at least. From what it seems to me, the children in this iteration of TS are far more mature than in previous generations. They are already being treated as tweens because toddlers are now the new "young children." If I were to age each life stage based on the TS iterations starting from 2, it would look something like this:

TS2
    Baby: Newborn - 3 months old
    Toddler: 6 months old - 2 y.o.
    Child: 6 - 10
    Teen: 12 - 15
    YA: 18 - 22 (University and College Age)
    Adult: 18+
    Elder: 60+

TS3
    Baby: Newborn - 6 months old
    Teen: 14 - 16
    YA: 18 - 25
    Adult: 25 - 50

TS4
    Baby: Newborn - 8 months old
    Toddler: 8 months old - 4 y.o.
    Child: 10 - 13
    Teen: 15 - 18
    YA: 18 - 30
    Adult: 30-55
    Elder: 55+

I kind of like the Toddler/Child/Teen distribution of TS4 the best.
  • Options
    CorvinowCorvinow Posts: 73 Member
    Curfew for teens would also be great. And I never really thought about having preteens in the game but with teens so similar to adults it would be nice. It would be super cute seeing them having a crush on someone without actually dating the crush, leave it that for teenagers.
    Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw If you've a ready mind, where those of wit and learning will always find their kind
  • Options
    Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    I honestly don't get what would make preteen so different from a child. Pre-teens are before they are teenagers, basically a kid which we already have. I feel like it would just add one more lifestate with very little content and then we would get even less content for our actual kids and teens. Now if someone wants to add more stuff to teens and kids I would be all for that.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Clk1143 wrote: »
    I honestly don't get what would make preteen so different from a child. Pre-teens are before they are teenagers, basically a kid which we already have. I feel like it would just add one more lifestate with very little content and then we would get even less content for our actual kids and teens. Now if someone wants to add more stuff to teens and kids I would be all for that.

Preteens in my opinion are different from being kids because their not in elementary school anymore and their not teens because their to young to go to highschool but they attend middle school (intermediate school).

Preteens can be like the teens we had in Sims 2 get acne, sneak out. Just like in Sims 3 preteens will have moodswings and pull pranks.
    In the know of anything popular mainly music have a crush on someone and/or a pop sensation or be inspired by a pop sensation. Still play voidcritters with the kids because their still some kid left in them. They can either be an angel or a rebel.
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    TayTayGee wrote: »

I ain't Australian (American) but pre-teens do exist in Australia. Pretty much every part of the world. It's just a child under 13. You might of not heard this term (it is new and modern term for a child).

Don't tell us what does or doesn't exist in our country if you don't live here.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    Personally, I don't have my heart set on pre-teens be added but I would like to see some features from Generations added to the TS4's teens. I would really enjoy seeing all of @Beanfoot's list be implemented. That would really flesh out the teens; along with maybe some more teenage themed items and clothing?
  • Options
    Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »

Preteens in my opinion are different from being kids because their not in elementary school anymore and their not teens because their to young to go to highschool but they attend middle school (intermediate school).

Preteens can be like the teens we had in Sims 2 get acne, sneak out. Just like in Sims 3 preteens will have moodswings and pull pranks.
    In the know of anything popular mainly music have a crush on someone and/or a pop sensation or be inspired by a pop sensation. Still play voidcritters with the kids because their still some kid left in them. They can either be an angel or a rebel.

Well that's kind of my point you said "preteens can be like teens we had in sims 2" why can't we simply beef up the teens in sims 4 instead of adding another lifestate and then not giving those things to teens? Everything you said I think of for teenagers not pre-teens. Pre-teens are very much little kids still, kind of like the kids we have in sims 4.
  • Options
    Why don't we have a Young Child age then, because I See Child Sims in TS4 as aged 8-14 and Teens as aged 14-18/19/20
    YA as 18-30 Adult as 30-60 and elder as 60+. Baby Sims are aged around 0months-2years old Toddlers are around 2 years old to 4 years old Young Child could be 4-8
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member

Well that's kind of my point you said "preteens can be like teens we had in sims 2" why can't we simply beef up the teens in sims 4 instead of adding another lifestate and then not giving those things to teens? Everything you said I think of for teenagers not pre-teens. Pre-teens are very much little kids still, kind of like the kids we have in sims 4.

Because to me in this game series teen seems more mature than in previous games they should learn to drive, go to prom/graduation have afterschool activitieslike they did in Sims 3 in Sims 2 they should try leveling up on a skill for either university (if we get the pack.) Or when they become YA set higher in the job level. They can still have a party when parents leave and get in trouble if the parents find out about it.
  • Options

Listen buddy I you have no right to tell me what I can't tell you. I don't have to be Australian or any other nationality just to know what does or doesn't exist in a outside country. I don't get why so many of you who don't know what a pre-teen is can't look up the freaking meaning. That's why we have the internet and if you still don't understand than that's you.
  • Options
    I think Young Child should be in the game, aged 4 to 8 years old.

YASSSS!!! We (and other people) need this so badly! Young child and pre-teen would make the game much more fun (in my eyes).
  • Options
    Beanfoot wrote: »
    I've never really been super crazy about the pre-teen concept, although I'll never say no to new content should the life stage arise. Here is my wishlist for teens:
    • Acne (à la Sims 2 where some teens would be prone to acne and others would only get acne if they let themselves get too grubby)
    • Learn to drive (post-re-introduction of cars)
    • Mood swings
    • "Sneak out" with the re-introduction of coppers
    • Teen-only events like prom/homecoming/spring fling/etc.
    • More awkward body-types: long, lanky limbs, shorter statures and torsos, etc.
    • Body/ear piercings! Teenagers love that stuff. God knows I had loads of piercing needles shoved through my skin when I was 18.
    • Manual modes of transportation like skateboards, bicycles, scooters, etc.
    • Headphones/iPods

That's just off the top of my head, at least. From what it seems to me, the children in this iteration of TS are far more mature than in previous generations. They are already being treated as tweens because toddlers are now the new "young children." If I were to age each life stage based on the TS iterations starting from 2, it would look something like this:

TS2
    Baby: Newborn - 3 months old
    Teen: 12 - 15
    YA: 18 - 22 (University and College Age)
    Adult: 18+

TS3
    Baby: Newborn - 6 months old
    Teen: 14 - 16
    YA: 18 - 25
    Adult: 25 - 50

TS4
    Baby: Newborn - 8 months old
    Toddler: 8 months old - 4 y.o.
    Child: 10 - 13
    Teen: 15 - 18
    YA: 18 - 30
    Adult: 30-55
    Elder: 55+

I kind of like the Toddler/Child/Teen distribution of TS4 the best.

It has nothing to do with age really, but the height between toddler-child and teen-child is bugging the hell out of me. When do you jump from a 2-year-old to a full-sized 9 or 10 year old child? Something between there is missing. That's where young child comes in. They are modeled after like 5 year olds. They are in between the height of toddlers and children. Same with pre-teen. Pre-teens are more like 12-14ish (ugh yes, pre-teen is under the age of 13. Who gives a 🐸🐸🐸🐸?).
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I don't know it seems kind of blended once your toddler masters all the basic skills, he/she is essentially a child.

I think preteen is a must because the age gap is huge.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member

Listen buddy I you have no right to tell me what I can't tell you. I don't have to be Australian or any other nationality just to know what does or doesn't exist in a outside country. I don't get why so many of you who don't know what a pre-teen is can't look up the freaking meaning. That's why we have the internet and if you still don't understand than that's you.

Listen buddy yourself.
    You don't live in australia, you have no idea of what life is like here, nor would you understand even half the terms we use. As it is, we have to use soooooooooooooooooo many seppo terms, just so you have half an understanding of what we're talking about.

Obviously, a preteen is someone under 13, it is not a term that is common use in oz. We're more likely to call them primary schoolers, cos a lot of people start secondary school at 13. But if we were calling them primary schoolers all the time, you'd be whining because you didn't know what we're talking about.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    Movotti wrote: »

Listen buddy yourself.
    You don't live in australia, you have no idea of what life is like here, nor would you understand even half the terms we use. As it is, we have to use soooooooooooooooooo many seppo terms, just so you have half an understanding of what we're talking about.

Obviously, a preteen is someone under 13, it is not a term that is common use in oz. We're more likely to call them primary schoolers, cos a lot of people start secondary school at 13. But if we were calling them primary schoolers all the time, you'd be whining because you didn't know what we're talking about.

True true true...
  • Options
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    I don't know it seems kind of blended once your toddler masters all the basic skills, he/she is essentially a child.

I think preteen is a must because the age gap is huge.

Oh no, pre-teens are not little kids. There is absolute a huge difference between a pre-teen and a little kid. Do you have any idea what a real pre-teen is like? A little kid is like a under 10. A pre-teen is 10-12. I don't who would refer a 11 or 12 year old as a "little kid" . Adults should never refer an older child as a "little kid" because they are not (unless referring to physical size). Preadolescence, pubescent, or just kid is more of likely words for children ages 11-12.
  • Options
    AutumnBladenAutumnBladen Posts: 295 Member
    As adults in real life are preteens so noticeable and distinguishable? I know I've got a eleven/twelve year old niece and as a twenty year old I think she still looks and acts like a child. Granted she is smart and back-talks and everything, but still doesnt seem like a pre-teen. While teenagers seem like teenagers and children seem like children. Pre-teens are always either so close to being a child or pre-teen that it really makes it hard to tell. Also, what age is even suppossed to be pre-teen because even in the same state in the same country people will have a different opinion on that just like whether or not soda is soda, pop, or soda pop, and their are even some areas where people call everything either cola or coke even when it's pepsi or something like that. So I feel like just having pre-teens looked over is okay for this game.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member

I don't know what the best thing to call it would be, but I think we need a Young Teen stage, essentially.

Messing with the existing Teen stage too much could result in some rather weird moments. For instance, Teens already have what is essentially Woohoo (even though it's called Mess Around). They also have some pretty forthright kissing, flirting, and relationships. That's about fitting with, I'd say 16-19. Maybe 15, but anything younger is definitely in the creepy zone.

So I think we need a stage that's set in the range of about 12-14 to cover younger teen behaviors. This stage could cover the puberty-related tropes, for instance.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    So I think we need a stage that's set in the range of about 12-14 to cover younger teen behaviors. This stage could cover the puberty-related tropes, for instance.
    Thats a bit awkward, since there are plenty of girls who enter puberty at 8-9, and others who don't get there until 15-16
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif