Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has the Sims 4 passed its prime?

Comments

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Neia wrote: »
    To7m wrote: »
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    For the life of me I can't seem to find these pro-TS4 bullies & hecklers some of you keep going on about are hiding. If they were out in full force a couple of years ago, you have clearly beaten them into submission with your opinion sticks.

Seems to me every thread criticiszing TS4 rolls along swimingly until someone makes the fatal error of suggesting that perhaps if the perfect Sims game has already been made, maybe you should still be happily playing it?

Man the right to express our opinions torpedos, load the post is off topic gun, fire the threat to have poster banned canon... offender is demolished. everyone high fives, on to the next battle. Rinse lather repeat....

So resounding and comnplete is your victory, you are now policing the boards making sure TS4 cheerleaders don't get out of line?
    "Show me yoiur list" lol you have got to be kidding/i]me. B)

What exactly is the purpose of this post?

If you like The Sims 4 then go play it. Coming into threads that are obviously not pro-Sims 4 and complaining because they are negative is a complete waste of your time and energy. People are free to come and go as they please here - there are plenty of threads for happy players like yourself to interact with other happy players instead of entering into negative threads. Your continued presence in this thread tells me you are just trying to pick fights and start problems instead of communicating.

This thread was asking questions. The thread title is a question. There's nothing "obvious" about the anwser here, or the questions wouldn't been asked. Answering "no" to the questions has as much validity as answering "yes" here.

But you don't just say 'no' and move along, do you? You have to impress why your 'yes' is right and why everybody else's 'no' is wrong.

BIG difference if you ask me.

--T

Why should people have to answer with one word and move along ? Why can't they post their feedback ? Do you think people should have answered 'yes' and move along too ? Why would there be a difference between 'yes' and 'no' ?

Nice try but I know you're *more* than capable of understanding the point I was making.

You can take your hook back.

--T

No sorry, I'm totally at a loss why anybody would answer with just one word and move along, no matter the opinion expressed. If you aren't giving details about your feedback, I geniously don't see how the devs will manage to get the point you would be trying to make. And I've been saying this numerous times : that family players should explain more precisely what they consider "family gameplay" for example, because it's such an umbrella term that we all mean something different, that people asking for this or that features should probably explain what they are looking for (and I'm always saying how much seasons is important for the feeling of passing of time for me, and I probably should have said that apartments were important because of the building apartment complex).

The OP asked several questions, answering with just yes or no (or anything in between) would serve absolutely no point if you don't explain what makes you feel that way. I bet the devs aren't reading the forum to have a poll of yes/no when it's such a biased sample (being self-selected and tiny), I bet they want to read the why because that's what they can't as easily get from telemetry for example. That's the main point of a forum where we can post our feedback, to explain the why, to discuss with other simmers and clarify why we think that way by exchanging about our opinions, and hopefully avoid the echo chamber effect. At least, that's the way I see it, though you apparently have a different opinion so that's why I asked.

I'm sorry but family players have said what family means to them as individuals. Over and over. It is not their fault the team still seems to be clueless to that. The information is there, they've had plenty of clear and concise information given to them in terms of questionnaires I created and they said they wanted and offers of help to collate further down the line too.

They either aren't interested or someone has decided it's too expensive to fulfill desires from that 'subset' of players.

Agreed. Yes, sure, some people's feedback on the issue might not be great but there's definitely enough good, clear & concise feedback on the type of family play people want for the devs to use and make something worthwhile out of it. If they really think that there's not enough good feebdack on what people want (toddlers, more age-specific interactions, more parent-child interactions like being able to ground them or teach them walking etc., babies that aren't tied to cribs, objects like slides & tree houses, etc. etc.) then they're just not listening lol. Or they're too lazy to go and look at the threads that give very detailed and interesting suggestions. Also, I'm sorry @Neia, but sometimes I think you defend the devs for .. just about anything. People should've been clearer about wanting to build apartments? Like ... really? Haven't they said that for TS2, for TS3, and ... also now??? I get that you like the game and that being a dev is a hard job, but really, sometimes you just gotta admit that - at least for some things - they take the easy way out.

My points exactly.

A lot of players want an Open World in The Sims again. Do we need to go into more detail about that?

What about players who want cars? Does that need to be explained away?

The thing is, as I have said before. TS4 is still dominated by Olympus and how the original engine was built and if that game with some restrictions meaning game play that was possible in the previous games is no longer possible, then TS4 will continue to be struck be limitations.

Olympus is still very much the boss and if Olympus says no, then TS4 cannot have it

:disappointed:

Lol yes ... I really think there's no lack of good, meaningful feedback on TS4. A lot of that feedback even references how things worked in past games and what people enjoyed / didn't enjoy about it. Like personalities (how people feel that there should be more and more differentiated traits & sim memories), like family play, like freedom to create worlds, like an open world that doesn't require the use of mods to keep runnning somewhat smoothly, and so on and so on. The last thing you can say is that these devs don't get enough feedback. Or that the feedback isn't clear. Will they ever make everyone happy? No, certainly not. But if they still don't understand what people would like to see next to the things Ts4 has arguably done right or added ... then I'm sure TS5 won't cause any less divison than 4 :D

One thing to look at it is the TS3GD. An older game and a game that you would have expected to be side-lined by now. However the TS3 is busy and there are a lot of threads active. The 'what happened in your Sims game today' thread is very close to reaching 1000 pages. It goes through a few pages each week and could maybe even reach that mark just before new year although that might be a bit of a push.

In that thread there are countless players showing pictures of things that quite literally is things they have done in their game. Aside from that we have videos being shared, other threads showing beautiful scenery, I have started another new thread myself while m Xmas thread has only just died off as expected.

Now look at the TS4 GD, it is quieter than it used to be. There was a time, even a few months ago where it was hectic, not always bad but threads there where very heated at time. Many got moved to Feedback which this current thread is in. A lot got moved to 'Speculation and Rumours' which is where toddler 'hints' ended up. The TS4 does have a 'what happened in your game' thread just as the TS2 GD but neither are as busy as the TS3 one which can spend most of the day at the top of the page.

I would actually expect the TS4 thread to be the busiest and only mild interest in TS3 yet as the weeks go by, more and more players are moving back to TS3 while we have even gained a few new players coming straight from TS4 with no earlier Sims experience what so ever. We do not get too many bug reports although if someone does have tech issues, there are still a lot of players to help them. There are very few complaints in the TS3 GD and even in the old days, pre 2014, the number of complaints TS3 had was noting compared to what we have now.

Never in my years have I ever known a predecessor actually become more popular than it's successor, at least in the gaming industry. I guess if that is not feedback, then I don't know what is?

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Yubell wrote: »
    For the life of me I can't seem to find these pro-TS4 bullies & hecklers some of you keep going on about are hiding. If they were out in full force a couple of years ago, you have clearly beaten them into submission with your opinion sticks.

Seems to me every thread criticiszing TS4 rolls along swimingly until someone makes the fatal error of suggesting that perhaps if the perfect Sims game has already been made, maybe you should still be happily playing it?

Man the right to express our opinions torpedos, load the post is off topic gun, fire the threat to have poster banned canon... offender is demolished. everyone high fives, on to the next battle. Rinse lather repeat....

So resounding and comnplete is your victory, you are now policing the boards making sure TS4 cheerleaders don't get out of line?

If you like The Sims 4 then go play it. Coming into threads that are obviously not pro-Sims 4 and complaining because they are negative is a complete waste of your time and energy. People are free to come and go as they please here - there are plenty of threads for happy players like yourself to interact with other happy players instead of entering into negative threads. Your continued presence in this thread tells me you are just trying to pick fights and start problems instead of communicating.

This thread was asking questions. The thread title is a question. There's nothing "obvious" about the anwser here, or the questions wouldn't been asked. Answering "no" to the questions has as much validity as answering "yes" here.

But you don't just say 'no' and move along, do you? You have to impress why your 'yes' is right and why everybody else's 'no' is wrong.

--T

Why should people have to answer with one word and move along ? Why can't they post their feedback ? Do you think people should have answered 'yes' and move along too ? Why would there be a difference between 'yes' and 'no' ?

Nice try but I know you're *more* than capable of understanding the point I was making.

--T

No sorry, I'm totally at a loss why anybody would answer with just one word and move along, no matter the opinion expressed. If you aren't giving details about your feedback, I geniously don't see how the devs will manage to get the point you would be trying to make. And I've been saying this numerous times : that family players should explain more precisely what they consider "family gameplay" for example, because it's such an umbrella term that we all mean something different, that people asking for this or that features should probably explain what they are looking for (and I'm always saying how much seasons is important for the feeling of passing of time for me, and I probably should have said that apartments were important because of the building apartment complex).

The OP asked several questions, answering with just yes or no (or anything in between) would serve absolutely no point if you don't explain what makes you feel that way. I bet the devs aren't reading the forum to have a poll of yes/no when it's such a biased sample (being self-selected and tiny), I bet they want to read the why because that's what they can't as easily get from telemetry for example. That's the main point of a forum where we can post our feedback, to explain the why, to discuss with other simmers and clarify why we think that way by exchanging about our opinions, and hopefully avoid the echo chamber effect. At least, that's the way I see it, though you apparently have a different opinion so that's why I asked.

Oh my goodnesss - have you been absent for the last two years? You know, where family players have said over and over in an endless flow of forum posts what family play means to them, and where The Sims 4 is lacking? There's countless threads, including one MAJOR thread that has more replies than ANY other thread on this forum. Does all of that amount to nothing?

Instead of asking for more information how about you go and read what information has already been presented over and over again on this forum. Obviously you won't find it if you expect those with an issue to come to you and tell you of their concerns - EA owns these forums and should have no issue skimming through threads looking for inspiration. After two years, if they still need an indepth explaination of what family play elements are missing from the game, they clearly have zero idea how to log into the forums or listen to player feedback that they've been getting since 2014.

Don't forget the toddler thread they asked us to contribute to too. We have gone out of our way multiple times for this team. So far they haven't shown appreciation for the level of dedication people have for the sims in taking so much time to write detailed feedback and ideas for compromises the team asked for. As far as weve seen evidence wise it's been completely ignored and any potential will remain untapped. If the team are still ignorant to want family players want it is clearly wilful ignorance at this point.

Thank you @drake_mccarty and @SimTrippy

I mentioned the toddler ideas thread myself, is that thread still going? I don't really go into ideas and feedback anymore. Those ideas only get ignored anyway :(

We haven't had a Guru enter that thread since about August time, seems like they are more bothered in adding pointless stuffto the game than fixing the issue we already have, I've said the lifestages are a mess since the launch of the game but my pleads go ignored by the team; it seems like if you say something they don't agree with they silence you or try the make out that you are in the wrong. So far I don't think We'll get any good family play content...

I guess there is a lack of interest in the subject outside of the community? There is the Kids Room EP which I think might have been partially influenced by complaints of the lack of things for kids but aside from that I see little else coming for families in the near future.

--T

--T

Oh my goodnesss - have you been absent for the last two years? You know, where family players have said over and over in an endless flow of forum posts what family play means to them, and where The Sims 4 is lacking? There's countless threads, including one MAJOR thread that has more replies than ANY other thread on this forum. Does all of that amount to nothing?

Instead of asking for more information how about you go and read what information has already been presented over and over again on this forum. Obviously you won't find it if you expect those with an issue to come to you and tell you of their concerns - EA owns these forums and should have no issue skimming through threads looking for inspiration. After two years, if they still need an indepth explaination of what family play elements are missing from the game, they clearly have zero idea how to log into the forums or listen to player feedback that they've been getting since 2014.

Don't forget the toddler thread they asked us to contribute to too. We have gone out of our way multiple times for this team. So far they haven't shown appreciation for the level of dedication people have for the sims in taking so much time to write detailed feedback and ideas for compromises the team asked for. As far as weve seen evidence wise it's been completely ignored and any potential will remain untapped. If the team are still ignorant to want family players want it is clearly wilful ignorance at this point.

I mentioned the toddler ideas thread myself, is that thread still going? I don't really go into ideas and feedback anymore. Those ideas only get ignored anyway :(

It is still going. But as people lose hope in the promised potential they slow down because there is nothing to get excited about.

I have noticed a slow down in toddler requests lately, I think some players are starting to realise that toddlers are not coming and rather than just 'waiting around' players are now just shrugging it off and no longer doing the chasing.

I think there is only so many times you can wait for something until you give up completely and after so many disappointments and falling for misleading information, most players have now lost interest in TS4 completely.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited December 2016

--T

--T

I'm sorry but family players have said what family means to them as individuals. Over and over. It is not their fault the team still seems to be clueless to that. The information is there, they've had plenty of clear and concise information given to them in terms of questionnaires I created and they said they wanted and offers of help to collate further down the line too.

They either aren't interested or someone has decided it's too expensive to fulfill desires from that 'subset' of players.

I never said they haven't said it, I said that I think they should do it, and all the threads explaining what family players want are exactly what I think is needed. And I've said exactly that when people have asked why should family players explain what they want in those threads, that I think more details is better than just a generic term.
    Yubell wrote: »

--T

--T

We haven't had a Guru enter that thread since about August time, seems like they are more bothered in adding pointless stuffto the game than fixing the issue we already have, I've said the lifestages are a mess since the launch of the game but my pleads go ignored by the team; it seems like if you say something they don't agree with they silence you or try the make out that you are in the wrong. So far I don't think We'll get any good family play content...

I guess there is a lack of interest in the subject outside of the community? There is the Kids Room EP which I think might have been partially influenced by complaints of the lack of things for kids but aside from that I see little else coming for families in the near future.

--T

--T

It is still going. But as people lose hope in the promised potential they slow down because there is nothing to get excited about.

I have noticed a slow down in toddler requests lately, I think some players are starting to realise that toddlers are not coming and rather than just 'waiting around' players are now just shrugging it off and no longer doing the chasing.

I think there is only so many times you can wait for something until you give up completely and after so many disappointments and falling for misleading information, most players have now lost interest in TS4 completely.

I dont think you can say 'most' players but of those hoping the team have offered very little actual hope to warrant people to continue waiting. There are other things to do with our money and as much as I love the sims I'm not supporting a title that doesn't support how I like to play. I'll just play the old game and give my gaming budget to things I actually enjoy.

The onus was on the team to keep people engaged. If people are no longer engaged in this title it is a form of feedback of its own. You could say at least they cured me of my sims collection habits. There was a time I'd always expected to buy everything sims ever as I had since TS1. TS4 base cured me of that.

I think that in the early days of The Sims I always go EPs on the day of release. I followed the previews before release as well and I was always excited for what was being offered. I mellowed out a bit as I got older but I still never missed and EP and I actually only need to finish two TS3 SPs but these are minor themes, the Movie Stuff one and another clothing one. I only missed a TS2 SP because I was waiting for Mansion and Garden Stuff but someone got me one I already had by mistake but that was no big deal as I think I had already moved into TS3 at that time.

TS4 was a game I was suspicious of early on. Even before word of all the cut content came out I was wary for some reason. There was something about it that made me nervous.

I did think early on if I saw more screenshots that appealed to me, I may have changed my mind and if it actually looked really good, I would eventually caved in and brought it.

Now more than two years later I have still brought nothing for TS4. I did try the Free Trial only to see what the general feel of it was like. I was also getting tired of being old to keep quiet which came out like 'you have never played TS4 so your opinion does not count'

I have tried TS4 for myself now and I have seen for myself what is missing. Aside from CAS and reasonable performance, there is nothing to make me give up TS3 for something that offers less.

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

--T

--T

I never said they haven't said it, I said that I think they should do it, and all the threads explaining what family players want are exactly what I think is needed. And I've said exactly that when people have asked why should family players explain what they want in those threads, that I think more details is better than just a generic term.

Where does it end?! Are family players doomed to spend years never getting game play in game but have to stick around constantly rehashing the very detailed feedback they gave when they still had hope?! I'm sorry but I think thats an unreasonable expectation to put on others. We are tired of reiterating exactly what we want only to have it put in the container marked recycle.

Everybody does whatever they want, I'm personally still hopeful and still posting my feedback but if other family players are fed up, that's fine and I'm not blaming them.

--T

--T

What more details are you asking for? Even more threads? We have had more than enough of them already.

What about coding? Are players now expected to code the content they want themselves?

I don't understand what extra information is needed. I don't play families much myself these days but I would want to see more of a broad level of gameplay in The Sims. It is not just about partying and 'bromance' but as TS4 has not touched on my else other than single play I think that is where the issue starts for some players.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg

--T

--T

Where does it end?! Are family players doomed to spend years never getting game play in game but have to stick around constantly rehashing the very detailed feedback they gave when they still had hope?! I'm sorry but I think thats an unreasonable expectation to put on others. We are tired of reiterating exactly what we want only to have it put in the container marked recycle.

Everybody does whatever they want, I'm personally still hopeful and still posting my feedback but if other family players are fed up, that's fine and I'm not blaming them.

Yes because you like the game. They have years of very detailed, concise feedback to read over on their own forums and in their own email inbox I was asked to send to. There is no excuse for neglecting that and suggesting that others who are tired should be ignored over people like you who haven't lost hope yet is wrong.

The thing that I find quite strange is how they have 'ignored' feedback. I have never really known that to happen before, especially in The Sims.

Back in the old days of TS1 players where asking for pets early on and eventually we got them. Teens where requested early on as well so they came in TS2. By TS3, a significant proportion of content, in the base game or EPs was what had been requested by players for a long time. I remember finally getting bunk beds in Generations which again had been requested early on. Players never felt ignored or side-lined in The Sims and even though not every EP appealed to every player, there was no doubt that there was a community involvement that was keeping the series going.

It seems that by now, where the community is being ignored, the series is now falling apart.

:tired_face:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited December 2016

--T

--T

As others have said if you even have to ask these questions then forgive me, I gave your comprehension too much credit.

There is a difference between going into a thread that is very clearly opposing your opinion to rant and rave why those disagreeing with you are 'wrong' or need to be 'patient' etc etc and going into the thread and saying why you disagree and leave it at that. You don't. You continue to preach your love for the game while telling others they must 'be doing something wrong' and to 'move on'

Understand that?

--T

ETA: Typo.
  • Swiftlover13Swiftlover13 Posts: 2,369 Member

--T

--T

Yes because you like the game. They have years of very detailed, concise feedback to read over on their own forums and in their own email inbox I was asked to send to. There is no excuse for neglecting that and suggesting that others who are tired should be ignored over people like you who haven't lost hope yet is wrong.
    It seems that by now, where the community is being ignored, the series is now falling apart.

I recently bought Into The Future (along with Generations, Island Paradise and Showtime. Only Supernatural I have yet to get). I opened the box to install the game, and what am I greeted by? A giant leaflet advertising The Sims 4, with a large blue warning label saying "Pre-order your copy now".

It got me thinking though, that it was the last good thing the Sims team ever released. But the EP had this weird sense of danger for things to come. I don't know, it just felt strangely ominous. Then it hit me that this EP was one of the few that wasn't heavily requested and was one of the smallest EPs released for the game. It overshadowed what would come with Sims 4, only backed up by the SimCity advertisement hidden in the pack. The community was ignored, and one of the most lacklustre packs was released.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I actually think The Sims hit it's prime part way through TS3 and started skating in the direction of superficial.

Sims 3 ruined the series, imo. Got rid of everything that was fun and quirky from 1 and 2 and went all serious. Definitely went in the wrong direction which s4 is following.
    It ruined the series for you, but not for a crowd of other people. Sorry but that is relevant. I'm still trying to figure out if the same goes for Sims 4.

You know how much I like 3 and but I have to agree....it started slipping during that version. All I have to do is look at things like when a TS2 Sim cooks they actually take ingredients out of a cupboard or they actually take a baby bottle out of the fridge....those animations are missing from 3. What has happened with 4 is that kind of thing was taken even further. They don't even really pick things when they harvest their gardens in 4.

I love to play TS3 but I did see so much missing from the animations that were in TS2. It just got worse for 4.
    I definitely think things started slipping during Sims 3. That's not the same as 'ruined' though. I don't bother with anything 'ruined', let alone get addicted to it. The fact you say you like 3 contradicts the 'ruined'-statement ;) I must add that the higher amount of details as such doesn't necessarily make Sims 2 a better game for me. That bottle out of the fridge thing for instance started irritating me pretty fast, so was the not so nice detail they throw both bottle and baby on the floor when they're done ;) I love that detail in Sims 3 where a parent will put their baby into bed no matter what, even ignoring impulses to eat first. The end of the Sims 3 era most certainly was an indication of what Sims 4 was going to be. If that's your point I fully agree.

Just where did you see me say ruined? I liked TS3 in spite of feeling like things were being glossed over. I just feel like TS4 took it further than it should have been.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright

--T

--T

As others have said if you even have to ask these questions then forgive me, I gave your comprehension too much credit.

There is a difference between going into a thread that is very clearly opposing your opinion to rant and rave why those disagreeing with you are 'wrong' or need to be 'patient' etc etc and going into the thread and saying why you disagree and leave it at that. You don't. You continue to preach your love for the game while telling others they must 'be doing something wrong' and to 'move on'

Understand that?

--T

ETA: Typo.

It is as I have said before. Why go into a thread with opsonising opinions? Like I mentioned, there are TS4 threads that are regarded as positive such as one thread for what players do like about the game. What would be the point of me going into those threads and trying to pick out everyone and accuse them of being wrong?

Most Simmers are actually pretty decent and usually keep their opinions to themselves. It is not a competition to what game is 'the best' and who is better for playing one game over another. This is a feedback thread so naturally, there would be negative feedback here which some wouldn't agree with

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg

--T

--T

I recently bought Into The Future (along with Generations, Island Paradise and Showtime. Only Supernatural I have yet to get). I opened the box to install the game, and what am I greeted by? A giant leaflet advertising The Sims 4, with a large blue warning label saying "Pre-order your copy now".

It got me thinking though, that it was the last good thing the Sims team ever released. But the EP had this weird sense of danger for things to come. I don't know, it just felt strangely ominous. Then it hit me that this EP was one of the few that wasn't heavily requested and was one of the smallest EPs released for the game. It overshadowed what would come with Sims 4, only backed up by the SimCity advertisement hidden in the pack. The community was ignored, and one of the most lacklustre packs was released.

Interesting reply.

Before I started putting all of my TS3 pictures on Facebook I usually was 'online' as I would upload them to TS3.com. After being online, TS4 was always being advertised at the start up screen and in the launcher. That was something that made me frown. You have this excellent and very complete game, a game which has a lot of time and effort put into it and then out of no where, there was another game being advertised and everything that had been done before no longer matters because 'TS4 is here and you should try it'

I usually shrug off adverts for TS4, I know what to expect as aside from the Free Trial, the amount of feedback that has come out over he last two years has shown my that my choice to 'keep a safe distance' was a wise one.

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Just to post a little reality. Most players seem to agree that a Sims game has about a 5 year life span.

Sims 4 released September 5, 2014.

September 5 2015 = i year
    September 5 2016 = 2 years
    Add the rest of September, October, November, December 2016 then January and February 2017....you have the half way point. It's coming up very soon.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
    Just to post a little reality. Most players seem to agree that a Sims game has about a 5 year life span.

Add the rest of September, October, November, December 2016 then January and February 2017....you have the half way point. It's coming up very soon.

Sooner than I thought then?

I remember starting a thread in 2015 called 'The Sims 4, six months on' which was very busy and very heated for a while. The sad thing is that some of the complaints that are going around now are no different to back then.

If the same complaints are going around at the hallway point then would we be surprised if those same complaints would still be there in the final year?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg

I remember starting a thread in 2015 called 'The Sims 4, six months on' which was very busy and very heated for a while. The sad thing is that some of the complaints that are going around now are no different to back then.

If the same complaints are going around at the hallway point then would we be surprised if those same complaints would still be there in the final year?

Not only are many of the same complaints still around just think about what happens with the bugs. One fixed and then a pack comes out and breaks it or adds even more.

Not only are many of the same complaints still around just think about what happens with the bugs. One fixed and then a pack comes out and breaks it or adds even more.

I have heard of bugs breaking more features than they fix, nothing new really but I remember two years ago a patch that came out just before Xmas made the game almost unplayable.

Some new players may have even got TS4 for Christmas and wouldn't have been able to play it. I have heard some talk of the 'club system' from GT has been broken for some players as well.

The biggest worry is not just what content will be left out but what new issues would be brought in
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

I have heard of bugs breaking more features than they fix, nothing new really but I remember two years ago a patch that came out just before Xmas made the game almost unplayable.

Some new players may have even got TS4 for Christmas and wouldn't have been able to play it. I have heard some talk of the 'club system' from GT has been broken for some players as well.

The biggest worry is not just what content will be left out but what new issues would be brought in

My Sims 3 game runs smoother and has less bugs than the sims 4 at the moment. Sadly I'm not kidding. Its one of the reasons I'm playing 3 like crazy at the moment.
    @MidnightAura I haven't seen many bugs in TS3 for a while now and I have not seen much that is game breaking. Patches where a bit ropey at times but the worst patch was the 1.69 patch that was forced onto some players a year ago, quite a while after TS3 had ended production so it is not really a TS3 patch.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2016
    Pary wrote: »
    I believe things started slipping with TS3 too, even though I love the game.

I feel that is lost a lot of its quirky charm, and a lot of the things that made TS2 so spectacular. It isn't even the big things, its the little ones. Like sims really being mad at one another to the point where their portraits would turn red and you'd have to wait a certain amount of time before they would accept and socials. Or children running out to meet their parents at the mailbox after work. Dancing with their parents by standing on their feet.

Toddlers being able to move to the music on the stereo, actually going to the fridge to get a bottle for the baby. Being able to bathe your baby in the sink and the toddler in the bath. Really loving interactions between spouses and parents and children, and even children and their siblings.

So many little things like that weren't included :( TS3 has given us beautiful worlds, and things like horse riding, waterskiing, boating etc, but so much was equally taken away, and sadly, I believe it was the things that really mattered, and that made the Sims really endearing, that were taken from us.

EA spent much more time turning TS3 into a very materialistic, quest-like driven game, rather than concentrating on what made TS2 great, and simply adding to it.
    TS4 has seems to have gone even further off the rails.
    The thng is, those things added that apparently made them sacrifice other things, are more important to a player like me. To be honest Sims 2 is getting boring for me after a while as well, because I miss certain things I have in Sims 3. And as it happens details and shops and restaurants aren't the ingredients that pull me into this game. In fact those ingredients make it too RPG for me even, having to run a shop, having to gain points during a date, I don't like doing that. And the time not continuing when you leave your lot is a killer for me. On top of that I'm not a rotational player. I get confused when I have to focus on multiple families, there's no pleasure in that for me.

I think both 2 and 3 have their pros and cons and it depends on the player where their priority lies. It seems to me though that Sims 4 is a different story in that respect.

I would miss the things that TS3 brought us too. And I play it more than I play Sims 2. It just lacks those things I listed, and more, that I loved about the Sims.
    My point was, that there shouldn't have been any reason that those things couldn't have been included as well. That they could have built upon TS2 and its in depth interactions & socials, rather than leaving them out in favour of other things.
    Agreed. I really wonder why that is. Time? As far as I'm concerned they can take all the time they need if it will mean a fleshed out quality product. I'll reward their effort by throwing my money at them.
    5JZ57S6.png
    I believe things started slipping with TS3 too, even though I love the game.

I feel that is lost a lot of its quirky charm, and a lot of the things that made TS2 so spectacular. It isn't even the big things, its the little ones. Like sims really being mad at one another to the point where their portraits would turn red and you'd have to wait a certain amount of time before they would accept and socials. Or children running out to meet their parents at the mailbox after work. Dancing with their parents by standing on their feet.

Toddlers being able to move to the music on the stereo, actually going to the fridge to get a bottle for the baby. Being able to bathe your baby in the sink and the toddler in the bath. Really loving interactions between spouses and parents and children, and even children and their siblings.

So many little things like that weren't included :( TS3 has given us beautiful worlds, and things like horse riding, waterskiing, boating etc, but so much was equally taken away, and sadly, I believe it was the things that really mattered, and that made the Sims really endearing, that were taken from us.

EA spent much more time turning TS3 into a very materialistic, quest-like driven game, rather than concentrating on what made TS2 great, and simply adding to it.
    TS4 has seems to have gone even further off the rails.
    The thng is, those things added that apparently made them sacrifice other things, are more important to a player like me. To be honest Sims 2 is getting boring for me after a while as well, because I miss certain things I have in Sims 3. And as it happens details and shops and restaurants aren't the ingredients that pull me into this game. In fact those ingredients make it too RPG for me even, having to run a shop, having to gain points during a date, I don't like doing that. And the time not continuing when you leave your lot is a killer for me. On top of that I'm not a rotational player. I get confused when I have to focus on multiple families, there's no pleasure in that for me.

I think both 2 and 3 have their pros and cons and it depends on the player where their priority lies. It seems to me though that Sims 4 is a different story in that respect.

I would miss the things that TS3 brought us too. And I play it more than I play Sims 2. It just lacks those things I listed, and more, that I loved about the Sims.
    My point was, that there shouldn't have been any reason that those things couldn't have been included as well. That they could have built upon TS2 and its in depth interactions & socials, rather than leaving them out in favour of other things.
    Agreed. I really wonder why that is. Time? As far as I'm concerned they can take all the time they need if it will mean a fleshed out quality product. I'll reward their effort by throwing my money at them.

I agree.

A few years ago I remember someone asking on the old TS3 forums, before TS4 was announced, if there would be a TS4. That would have been around early 2013. I replied with 'probably 2015'

At the time I didn't even think that there was a need for a TS4 and I would have thought they would have put a lot of time into it to make it even more in-depth and advanced than TS3.

Considering the game was remade from an online game in just six months and left many core features out, it goes to show that time is very important when making a game. It was said that TS4 was delayed meaning had it come out even earlier, it could have been even more scaled back.

At least six months to a year should have been given to TS4 to flesh it out a bit more. Even though I have said before I would be very happy to hear that TS5 is coming. I would rather wait a while for an excellent game rather than see another scaled back disappointment being pushed out.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

--T

--T

The problem is that 'family play' is a rather broad umbrella term. But I think they've got a pretty good picture by now what people mean. More fleshed out life stages for instance. Babies/toddlers (why not sort of combine those like in Freeplay) that are really fun to play with, recognizable teens (both in looks and behaviour), a clear difference between adult and middle aged (I deliberatley don't call it YA and A for somehow that's confusing because those terms were used differently in Sims 2) and elderly with fun gameplay attached to them (I'd absolutely love a grandparent role for them). No culling of relatives and a proper graveyard where your played sims live on. In all the years that I followed other people's games through stories and screenshot topics one thing has become quite clear to me: playing family is very important to players. Even when it's not all they do with the game. My sims go through a lot before they start one, but there's always family for them to fall back to - just like in real life - and at one point they'll always start one.
    5JZ57S6.png