Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has the Sims 4 passed its prime?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    Its seems @king_of_simcity7 that TS4 is just about the only game in the history of gaming to actually go backwards. lol I have to laugh otherwise I'll cry... or rant!

No, lots of other games lost a lot in modern incarnations:
    - The new Dungeon keeper (app) is basically not even as good as the very first DK.
    - Mass effect 3 lost a lot of fans when everything players did in previous games was completely ignored and they were given a crummy ending.
    - Dead Space 3 killed the series after previously available in-game items became pay to get in this version.
    - Dragon Age wasn't immune from going backwards, losing cities in Inquisition and a lot of content.
    - C&C 4 went back to a time before it even began as well, turning from an RTS into a cheap RTT (ultimately killing the long standing series stone dead)
    - Crysis 2+ the Nano suit went for a tactical powerhouse to a fancy suit of armour and was essentially de-clawed (at least you didn't have to pay real money for it though)
    - Syndicate was flattened by its remake, and the crown was eventually grabbed by Satellite Reign.
    - SimCity 2013 ended up being a cheap excuse of a SimCity game, the series is effectively dead with the most recent version being nothing more than a mobile app, the city builder crown passing to Cities: Skylines.
    - The more modern Ultima's not only repeated a lot of the mistakes of their predecessors but actually built upon them, adding in bugs, lag and loss of content.

here's a comment from the death of Ultima IX that should send shivers down the spines of Sims players: The game was said to be made to attract a more general gamer audience with little or no knowledge of previous Ultimas... Doesn't that sound familiar?

Now you may have noticed that all of these series that I have mentioned (and I can name a LOT more) all have one thing in common, every single series was published under EA and every single one has gone down the same road to ruin.
    EA series aren't the only series which have gone backwards. An example is the Might&Magic series which became better and better until it reached its top with Might&Magic VI. Might&Magic VII and Might&Magic VIII were almost as good though. But Might&Magic IX can only be described as a disaster which you can read more about on http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/might-and-magic-ix-review/1900-2861194/

The series was later attempted to be revived with Might&Magic X which really feel like a Might&Magic game either. But I have only seen it very shortly without getting into it. It didn't feel like a Might&Magic game at all either. But Might&Magic VI is a game that I have played through a lot of times and it is still clearly my favorite :)

Hopefully the Sims games haven't reached their top yet. (But TS2 and TS3 were clearly better than TS4.)

IMO the M&M series went down when they went from 3D with 2D sprite creatures (which allowed for massive numbers of monsters) to full 3D (far smaller battles), it seems the new engine was so badly bugged, that it took most of their efforts just to get it 'somewhat' working.

True that EA games aren't the only ones to go backwards, but they are by are VERY clear margin the most prolific, and they always travel down the exact same road to ruin, again and again.
    I don't agree.
    M&M VI was the top game where you could choose 4 characters from 6 different classes and it wasn't difficult to choose a good group. The game was well balanced and had a suitable difficulty degree.

M&M VII was almost as good. But the changes weren't good. The battle system became a little more complicated because they added pauses where you should move backwards. This wasn't an improvement but acceptable though. But the worst things were the added restrictions where we should make choices that excluded us from getting to the highest levels if we chose the wrong classes for our characters and had to choose between light side or dark side. The idea of course was to give us more variations if we played through the game several times. But there wasn't much variation anyway and the game wasn't really worth it. Therefore the restrictions were mostly just annoying.

M&M VIII was better than M&M VII because it didn't have the restrictions. It also gave us the option to get a dragon as one of our characters. But the problem was that when we finally got the dragon then the game was almost over because the dragon was so strong that our other characters didn't really matter anymore. So the game became too easy and the balance was gone.

M&M IX was a disaster and reminded me more about Baldur's Gate than about the earlier M&M games. I had attempted to play Baldur's Gate several times. But I never liked those games. Other M&M fans didn't like M&M IX either and apparently not many other gamers liked it either. Fans of Baldur's Gate seemed to not like it either. So switching to a completely different game engine was clearly a mistake and the game company went down too.

At least EA's future as a company isn't depending on TS4 in the same way :)
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    At least EA's future as a company isn't depending on TS4 in the same way :)

Shame really as it would at least stop them burying any more great gaming series.

raw
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2016
    fullspiral wrote: »
    aricarai wrote: »
    thevogel wrote: »
    And you know...while we all sit and discuss it over and over in thread after thread of all the disappointments....everyone over at EA is just ignoring the forum and coming up with the next $10 to $20 pack to cushion their wallets with.

At this point...they don't care if we like it, what we want changed, and I'm sure they are not even looking to make a Sims 5.

They have made a game that they wanted...they have now dictated to us how we are to play it by making it as limited as possible. If we want more...we are going to have to pay for it...but not all at once..no no...they are going to drag it out into as many little fractions of stuff packs and game packs that they can.

They only real change any of us can give this game...is to stop buying it. Stop buying the game, the packs, the excuses, and stop buying into the lies that "they are listening".

If this franchise is "past it's prime", then we can blame EA for that. A game like the sims, if done right, could be a fantastic full enjoyable game, that doesn't need Expansion packs, and game packs...etc. they needed to re-invent it... not break it up into tiny pieces at 10 bucks a pop.

I also don't think there will be a sims 5. There's nothing left for them to do. And there's no other way they can make it interesting. What new innovation is there to let simmers live out the lives of their sims?

What they are doing now is saying...."go here! Do this! But you can only do it here! The calls to go out are annoying. My sim doesn't know you yet you want to go to bear night? Or alien night? Or ghost night? These things have ruined my game. No! I don't want to go to those! Why can't I just go to the bar when I want? And I feel like I have to leave when those events occur because it generates a whackload of townies who I have to go and delete afterwards.

Concerning the little fractions of SPs and GPs, I consider this games dlc far better than Sims 3 and it's store. THAT IS called the sucker game and getting people to spend a buck for a hairstyle? Ludicrous. $20 for 1 lot? Ludicrous.

But I agree. EA has ruined the Sims. It ruined everything Will Wright made possible for us in 1 and 2.

If you do a price to price comparison on DLC versus the Sims 3 store, yes, the store was more expensive; however, if you look at the quality (or the possibilities of what you could do with items), I think the store was much better. Plus, it lent itself very well for contests and the generosity of other Simmers was incredible back in those days!

No. I bought a few. The arts center gave me the glass blower and something else for $20. Bored of it after a couple of visits. It's the same in every iteration. A $20 GP for sims 4, however, offers MUCH more.
    The glass blower content was EA in 2014 and you're right, it is boring content and fake too (everything your sim creates can be bought in CAS). It's a sum of animations tied to an object, nothing more. Sounds familiar? Yeah, the base principle of Sims 4. You see, that's EA in 2014. I've seen things collapse over the years, turning lazier and lazier (I know I'm not allowed to say it but that's how it feels to me). When you compare a WA tomb to the ITF crash side, that tells a tale. A very sad and shameful tale. You can't judge Sims 3 based on a highly promoted, limited and boring Store item. By doing that you're just judging the new EA and their attitude towards this franchise. It's a disgrace.
    5JZ57S6.png
    ENolan wrote: »
    @TOLKIEN as always, I applaud you for getting every type of conversation going here.
    I'm not applauding the fact the OP isn't hosting his own topic though.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Its seems @king_of_simcity7 that TS4 is just about the only game in the history of gaming to actually go backwards. lol I have to laugh otherwise I'll cry... or rant!

- The new Dungeon keeper (app) is basically not even as good as the very first DK.
    - Mass effect 3 lost a lot of fans when everything players did in previous games was completely ignored and they were given a crummy ending.
    - Dead Space 3 killed the series after previously available in-game items became pay to get in this version.
    - Dragon Age wasn't immune from going backwards, losing cities in Inquisition and a lot of content.
    - C&C 4 went back to a time before it even began as well, turning from an RTS into a cheap RTT (ultimately killing the long standing series stone dead)
    - Crysis 2+ the Nano suit went for a tactical powerhouse to a fancy suit of armour and was essentially de-clawed (at least you didn't have to pay real money for it though)
    - Syndicate was flattened by its remake, and the crown was eventually grabbed by Satellite Reign.
    - SimCity 2013 ended up being a cheap excuse of a SimCity game, the series is effectively dead with the most recent version being nothing more than a mobile app, the city builder crown passing to Cities: Skylines.
    - The more modern Ultima's not only repeated a lot of the mistakes of their predecessors but actually built upon them, adding in bugs, lag and loss of content.

here's a comment from the death of Ultima IX that should send shivers down the spines of Sims players: The game was said to be made to attract a more general gamer audience with little or no knowledge of previous Ultimas... Doesn't that sound familiar?

Now you may have noticed that all of these series that I have mentioned (and I can name a LOT more) all have one thing in common, every single series was published under EA and every single one has gone down the same road to ruin.

Indeed, the EA list of tributes. They just butcher games for profit. If you look at EA's history then we know that TS4 is just going to get milked into oblivion. Unless, of course, they think they can milk the heck out of a new crowd of sims supporters with TS5 as that is the only reason TS5 would ever happen.
    Judging by how gullible a lot of TS4 supporters are I think they stand a good chance of pulling a EA-fast one over another generation, sadly.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 6,023 Member
    @PHOEBESMOM601 Great point! Sims3 was groundbreaking and a huge success for the series in my opinion. Even with it's flaws the sims 3 continues to be the better game delivering more gameplay options and creativity to the gamer 5+ years later. It's a shame the most recent game in this series, sims 4, is so soft and cannot deliver the goods to the loyal fans who have supported them since day one.

Indeed, the EA list of tributes. They just butcher games for profit. If you look at EA's history then we know that TS4 is just going to get milked into oblivion. Unless, of course, they think they can milk the heck out of a new crowd of sims supporters with TS5 as that is the only reason TS5 would ever happen.
    Judging by how gullible a lot of TS4 supporters are I think they stand a good chance of pulling a EA-fast one over another generation, sadly.

I don't think they'll pull a fast one for long.

I'm just glad EA doesn't own any restaurants, they'd water the soup down/reduce the food into ever smaller portions again and again in an effort to sell the same amount to more and more customers and when everyone abandoned them complaining of tasteless food or far too little to eat, they'd blame the customers, close up shop and move onto another chain.

As I have said before, they are totally and utterly incapable of learning from their mistakes.
    raw
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I actually think The Sims hit it's prime part way through TS3 and started skating in the direction of superficial.

Sims 3 ruined the series, imo. Got rid of everything that was fun and quirky from 1 and 2 and went all serious. Definitely went in the wrong direction which s4 is following.
    I actually think The Sims hit it's prime part way through TS3 and started skating in the direction of superficial.

Sims 3 ruined the series, imo. Got rid of everything that was fun and quirky from 1 and 2 and went all serious. Definitely went in the wrong direction which s4 is following.
    It ruined the series for you, but not for a crowd of other people. Sorry but that is relevant. I'm still trying to figure out if the same goes for Sims 4.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

Wasn't it Rod Humble who had a fondness for RPG?
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 6,023 Member
    I feel like sims 4 is about to ruin the series if it doesn't peak soon..something major needs to happen within the game along with the fixing of major glitches. It's time for EA to stop milkin' it and start pouring out some vitamin D enriched gameplay....or...no money.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited December 2016
    I believe things started slipping with TS3 too, even though I love the game.

I feel that is lost a lot of its quirky charm, and a lot of the things that made TS2 so spectacular. It isn't even the big things, its the little ones. Like sims really being mad at one another to the point where their portraits would turn red and you'd have to wait a certain amount of time before they would accept and socials. Or children running out to meet their parents at the mailbox after work. Dancing with their parents by standing on their feet.

Toddlers being able to move to the music on the stereo, actually going to the fridge to get a bottle for the baby. Being able to bathe your baby in the sink and the toddler in the bath. Really loving interactions between spouses and parents and children, and even children and their siblings.

So many little things like that weren't included :( TS3 has given us beautiful worlds, and things like horse riding, waterskiing, boating etc, but so much was equally taken away, and sadly, I believe it was the things that really mattered, and that made the Sims really endearing, that were taken from us.

EA spent much more time turning TS3 into a very materialistic, quest-like driven game, rather than concentrating on what made TS2 great, and simply adding to it.
    TS4 has seems to have gone even further off the rails.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    edited December 2016

Yup, it's also Rod 'Humble' who didn't actually understand the Sims or the Sims players... And actually put 'himself' into the Sims 2 (which was then still very much Will Wrights game).

Yup... Rod 'Humble'.
    raw
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

Yup, it's also Rod 'Humble' who didn't actually understand the Sims or the Sims players... And actually put 'himself' into the Sims 2 (which was then still very much Will Wrights game).

Yup... Rod 'Humble'.

Rumour has it some players where not too happy seeing Rod Humble in their game. It didn't bother me but I would have rather see Will Wright instead ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • YubellYubell Posts: 440 Member
    I'd say it never had one, but it has been improving somewhat as the packs come out it's just I get bored; really quickly with the game, I can't really pin point why it's just not as enjoyable for me as it's previous installments. I've been a fan of the game for 11 years but I won't make excuses for the game and give a fake opinion to try and defend a game that in my eyes just isn't very good. I can go over so much that I miss from the game and improvements but suggestions only seem to full of deaf ears. The lack of toddlers isn't my main problem with the game at all; yes I do miss them but I feel the team should be listening more to there fans and fixing the problems we currently have with the game instead of giving us pointless packs that in my eyes fail to keep my entertained for more than 10 minutes.Game play is lacking I miss fighting against the clock to get everyone awake for we the school bus arrives or getting home on time so the police don't arrest me. I feel I this game there is no real consequence for our actions, my children can disappear for days on end and no one bats an eye lid. Homework not doing that doesn't really have no bad consequence at all. The game just feels so distached and unfinished; perhaps I'm comparing it to the other installments to much. yet the thing is when the sims 3 came out I didn't feel to way I do now that game felt more jam packed and kept me entertained for hours there was always something for me to do so I didn't end up bored whether it be mini quests, new job, looking after my younger children(I could look after them for hours) or exploring the endless open world ad having waffles with my neighbors on a weekend.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member

Yup... Rod 'Humble'.

Rumour has it some players where not too happy seeing Rod Humble in their game. It didn't bother me but I would have rather see Will Wright instead ;)

Frankly, every time I see Sim_NotSoHumble arrive at my sims house I wish I could drop a satellite on him.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Pary wrote: »

Yup... Rod 'Humble'.

Frankly, every time I see Sim_NotSoHumble arrive at my sims house I wish I could drop a satellite on him.

I use a mod to ban him from my game, with another mod to buy the computer if I want it for my sims. I never thought he was a good fit for the franchise. From the interviews, he didn't seem to understand the concept of a life sim. He didn't seem interested in even trying to learn what fans want. I wasn't thrilled with him at all.
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member

Yup... Rod 'Humble'.

I use a mod to ban him from my game, with another mod to buy the computer if I want it for my sims. I never thought he was a good fit for the franchise. From the interviews, he didn't seem to understand the concept of a life sim. He didn't seem interested in even trying to learn what fans want. I wasn't thrilled with him at all.

Sounds like Rachael sounds like Grant... :|
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited December 2016

The main issue is that every game since TS2 has maintained a very similar formula to one another, and I think fans are sick and tired of getting the same game, minus content. Additionally, there is a decrease in the quality of content. This formula will not work with TS5. Even if TS5 manages to take the open world/CASt and stick it into a stable game with TS2's golden features, I feel many of us, myself included, are going to be hesistant to want to spend 100s on a repeat of the same content we have. Especially if the release schedule is as inconsistent and a mystery like TS4.

I think it would be pretty cool if they tried changing the game up a bit to perhaps include a first person mode/third person mode where you actually control your Sim with WSAD/arrow keys, and have the ability to explore huge, vast worlds through their eyes. Or take a trip to the supermarket where you can directly grab and throw objects like apples off of shelves and at other Sims until the police kick you out. Just something different.
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited December 2016
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

The main issue is that every game since TS2 has maintained a very similar formula to one another, and I think fans are sick and tired of getting the same game, minus content. Additionally, there is a decrease in the quality of content. This formula will not work with TS5. Even if TS5 manages to take the open world/CASt and stick it into a stable game with TS2's golden features, I feel many of us, myself included, are going to be hesistant to want to spend 100s on a repeat of the same content we have. Especially if the release schedule is as inconsistent and a mystery like TS4.

I think it would be pretty cool if they tried changing the game up a bit to perhaps include a first person mode/third person mode where you actually control your Sim with WSAD/arrow keys, and have the ability to explore huge, vast worlds through their eyes. Or take a trip to the supermarket where you can directly grab and throw objects like apples off of shelves and at other Sims until the police kick you out. Just something different.

I was once put under threat of being reported for saying this.

OP I think people become accustomed to a certain way of going about things which makes it near impossible for them to move on.
    I doubt there is a single Simmer out there not dissapointed by at least one thing or another that Sims 4 brought to the table, it's just a matter of degree.

(True Story)
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited December 2016

Yup... Rod 'Humble'.

Me too. Never seen him. Can buy the computer any time I want.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5