The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has the Sims 4 passed its prime?

Comments

• Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    For the life of me I can't seem to find these pro-TS4 bullies & hecklers some of you keep going on about are hiding. If they were out in full force a couple of years ago, you have clearly beaten them into submission with your opinion sticks.

Seems to me every thread criticiszing TS4 rolls along swimingly until someone makes the fatal error of suggesting that perhaps if the perfect Sims game has already been made, maybe you should still be happily playing it?

Man the right to express our opinions torpedos, load the post is off topic gun, fire the threat to have poster banned canon... offender is demolished. everyone high fives, on to the next battle. Rinse lather repeat....

So resounding and comnplete is your victory, you are now policing the boards making sure TS4 cheerleaders don't get out of line?
    "Show me yoiur list" lol you have got to be kidding/i]me. B)

What exactly is the purpose of this post?

If you like The Sims 4 then go play it. Coming into threads that are obviously not pro-Sims 4 and complaining because they are negative is a complete waste of your time and energy. People are free to come and go as they please here - there are plenty of threads for happy players like yourself to interact with other happy players instead of entering into negative threads. Your continued presence in this thread tells me you are just trying to pick fights and start problems instead of communicating.

I'm in tears over here. :p
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited December 2016
    Erpe wrote: »
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    So does it really make one bit of difference if you have been playing the game since Sims 1 that you need to nit pick on TS4 and want it to be like every other sims game from 1- 4? So what if it's not following the other games in the series it's wasn't meant to. I have been playing this game from the beginning but I haven't once said I want them all to like each other. I really hated TS3 because I really hated the open world concept. So I am glad that they ditched it. I buy games to my taste and TS4 was in my taste because it was different it has it flaws where there isn't enough content to keep even me interested but I still love the game.
    But for what?

I can understand it if you mainly like to make sims and to build houses and maybe also like to watch your sims party a little. But what else is there to like?

Raising a family works better in the previous games. The careers do too. Even the hobbies also. Family stories and neighborhood stories work better in TS2. And the funny reactions with consequences were also better. So I can't see TS4 as much more than a tool to make sims and to build houses. Watching the sims party on their own and having them doing angry poops isn't worth looking at for more than a few minutes. So where is the gameplay that earlier could keep us playing for hours everyday for months?

But for what? Why does everybody who likes the game have to justify themselves to those who haven't "played it since June" or since 2015?

Just do not go on and on and on and on and on about how you dislike the game.

Write to EA personally as to how they can change the game to your tastes and stop complaining here. EA obviously do not read such long posts anyway. They have a job to do.

You may have played since "The Sims" for all I know. I have done that and enjoyed them all in their own way but have never complained endlessly as some do here to upset those who do.
    Nobody have to justify anything. I don't mind it if you like the game. I would just like to understand why?

If you could make me understand then I might even begin to play the game again?

Otherwise it sounds to me like you are saying: "Oh I love TS4 because the earlier games were way too complicated for me. I needed a simpler game with fewer age groups and without those complicated terrain tools. I also needed the game to become easier and happier such that the sims could do much more by themselves and such that I only needed to watch them. I also like the fewer interactions with babies and that teens have the same height and behavior as adults because I really needed the game to become more simple and easier for me to "play" and watch."

But I don't believe that this is really what you mean. Or am I wrong? ;)

In other words it's not enough for people to say "I like it, and that's that"
    You feel the need to have someone list the reasons so you have the opportunity to object to them.

It reeks of an eltist attitude that your vision of the game is the "right" vision of the game.
    No I can't object to their true feelings even if I feel differently. They have every right to like the game. I would just like to understand why they like it.

We have all listed our reasons for not liking it. But I have never seen anybody even attempt to tell us why they like the game. Why not?

Over the past two years there have been countless posts by simmers telling why they like Sims 4. I know I've contributed to some of those threads and I'm done trying to justify my enjoyment of the game. I like it just as much as I do the previous versions and am looking forward to what's coming next year.

Honestly I don't think it's necessary to justify liking something. People like what they like. Having said that I'm still curious about the why on this one. I've seen people say it runs runs well on their computer. To me that's not enough.....again it's not a bad reason it's just not enough for me. I do think they've done a few things well...like CAS....but game play and customization? It just plain disappoints and I have trouble understanding how people can be happy with such a shallow game. They only explanation I can see is that their expectations are different from my expectations......and with a 4th generation of a Sims game in 2014...I expected a lot more.

Actually, I think this is a good subjective, personal reason to like or dislike a game: If a doesn't work, then a person can't really enjoy it in the first place, can they?

As for me, I will give Sims 4 a pro-point for that (for me, personally, IMHO, in my own game, not saying it is for everyone): that I am able to pick it up and play with less stress. Emphasize that: For me, in my own game, I really, really that smoothness that worked for me.

I love that pick up and play aspect, which is why I usually tend to play consoles, handhelds, and retro, and less computer-intensive PC games--or PC games that have some proper optimization or a nice/friendly computer range.

If a game is too computer intense, then I either wait a long time until I can get a new PC that can sort of play it, or, if I can't afford the graphics card or whatever, then I would wait for the console version of it, which many major AAA games nowadays seems to have... (Feels like multiplatforming is the thing nowadays, with some exclusives here and there.)

I would like to play without having to fiddle so, so much with it, so that is one big positive I give to Sims 4--so far--for me, personally. (I know Sims 4 doesn't technically work for and has many bugs for other simmers, but for me, with my own personal computer, it was pretty smooth and only a few minor bugs.)

I am appreciating more and more that pick up and play (without having to fiddle with mods, etc) aspect more and more as I get older and have less time for gaming. Consoles and handhelds (and smaller indie games or casual games) are awesome for me nowadays because of this.

ETA: In terms of Sims games, I am not liking this trend of having to constantly mod the games to get my personal fun out of them. I never felt the need for modding and fixing Sims 1 and 2 (except for that one corruption bug fix), but I had to with the later sims games.

I am not enthusiastic about Sims 5, because I did not have great experiences with those last two sims games so far... I still love Sims 1 and 2, but I fear, with me not enjoying the last recent sims games, that the series has moved on, and I am no longer the customer the series is aiming at anymore... :disappointed:

Oh, well. At least I still got other types of games and indie games out there to play with.

That's one reason I don't like the way TS4 plays. When I play the Sims it's to escape into my game and it's something I never open unless I have the time to do just that. If I just want something to fill up some time I have a lot of 'time waster' tablet games.

I totally get you. :smile:

Now, I am not saying Sims 4 is a great game (and I don't think it is anywhere as good or indepth as past sims games), but I understand and sympathize with other simmers liking a playable and smooth game over the frustration of dealing with mods/fixes/lag/crashes/whatever.

I like to get into the "game zone", too, but nowadays, I have lots of more stuff taking up time in my life right now, so console games (and handheld 3DS games) where I can just load up the game right away without having to fiddle with mods or graphics cards or whatever are my go-to games right now.

I tend to get stressed really easily, and I have been getting into depression, so I need immediate gratification from my games right now. I don't want to be stressed with dealing with the modding and fixing stuff right now (like I have been doing work Sims 3 especially), lol.

(I'm going to stick with Sims 1 and 2 for my simming needs right now, and keep playing awesome non-Sims games where I can just put the disc in and just play, and not deal with the stress of modding or tons of fixing, stuff like Tomb Raider, Pokemon, Shin Megami Tensei, Odin Sphere, Yo-Kai Watch series, Inazuma Eleven series, etc, whenever I have time to play. Sims 4, I am on the fence about. Waiting to see that vamp GP.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • papersuitcasepapersuitcase Posts: 838 Member
    For the life of me I can't seem to find these pro-TS4 bullies & hecklers some of you keep going on about are hiding. If they were out in full force a couple of years ago, you have clearly beaten them into submission with your opinion sticks.

Seems to me every thread criticiszing TS4 rolls along swimingly until someone makes the fatal error of suggesting that perhaps if the perfect Sims game has already been made, maybe you should still be happily playing it?

Man the right to express our opinions torpedos, load the post is off topic gun, fire the threat to have poster banned canon... offender is demolished. everyone high fives, on to the next battle. Rinse lather repeat....

So resounding and comnplete is your victory, you are now policing the boards making sure TS4 cheerleaders don't get out of line?

If you like The Sims 4 then go play it. Coming into threads that are obviously not pro-Sims 4 and complaining because they are negative is a complete waste of your time and energy. People are free to come and go as they please here - there are plenty of threads for happy players like yourself to interact with other happy players instead of entering into negative threads. Your continued presence in this thread tells me you are just trying to pick fights and start problems instead of communicating.

The forums are more fun that the sims 4. Even the hardcore fans know that though they wont admit it.

The forums are more fun that the sims 4. Even the hardcore fans know that though they wont admit it.

Who ever said I was a hardcore Sims 4 fan?

I'm sorry.
    I'll tell you if you promise not to take offense.

We should probably start with the fact that I gave my opinion on the subject line.
    You didn't agree (which is fine) but you seemed to take exception to it, and your resposnse to me was baffling.

Go on scroll up and have a look.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

That is an old joke now. No matter 'how boring TS4 is, the forums will make up for it!' (not my words)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    For the life of me I can't seem to find where these pro-TS4 bullies & hecklers some of you keep going on about are hiding. If they were out in full force a couple of years ago, you have clearly beaten them into submission with your opinion sticks.

I agree with @drake_mccarty , there was no need for you to say this.

As for TS4 "bullies", I'm pretty sure I'm looking at one right now.

I'm curious. Why do you think I'm a bully?
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited December 2016
    Um...can we get back on topic?

Whatever that is, lol....I'm guessing this topic (or thread?) is getting "past its prime". :lol:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

This thread was asking questions. The thread title is a question. There's nothing "obvious" about the anwser here, or the questions wouldn't been asked. Answering "no" to the questions has as much validity as answering "yes" here.
  • Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited December 2016
    cr*p wrong thread
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I don't badger people why they like Sims 4, I'm not even wondering. It's clear many people love the game and I'm not interested in their reasons because that's their business and good right and the fact most reasons don't apply to me is of no interest to them. Nobody has to justify anything. In fact I feel it's the people who criticize the game that constantly have to justify themselves (and are asked to do so directly).

I just can't help noticing that whén people explain it all by themselves - because they're bothered by others not liking it - that it comes down to certain ingredients and quite often - if not always - those ingredients are shown against ingredients of the predecessor. Everybody may badger me to explain what I love about Sims 3 by the way, but a little warning in advance: you'll only give me an excuse to climb my hobbyhorse and you'll have to endure a long list of enthousiastic motivations, that not once will involve 'Sims 1', 'Sims 2' or 'Sims 4'. I love Sims 3 for what it is, not for what it is not.

My points exactly

I have no issue with players liking TS4. Of course some people are going to like it just like some people like Rap music while others don't. Some people listen to Heavy Metal while others don't and for some reason, some people even like Justin Bieber while most people don't.

The thing is a lot of the complainers usually stick to 'feedback threads' like this one. Their are actually a lot of 'positive' threads such as 'What you like about TS4' or 'show a nice picture' and I have no reason to go into those threads, I have no need to either. Those are not threads for me and what would be the point of going into them spoiling it for everyone else?

The thing is these threads are for the players who have genuine concerns. They are made by a concerned player and are commented on by other players with similar views.

Why would anyone come into these threads and try to change our minds? Our opinions would not spoil anyone else's enjoyment of the game.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Pary wrote: »
    Why would anyone come into these threads and try to change our minds? Our opinions would not spoil anyone else's enjoyment of the game.

Oh apparently it does.
    It's been moaned about numerous times here, and elsewhere that people can't enjoy their games because other people are criticising it.

Pfft. If I had a dollar for every time someone complained about TS3 I'd be rich - and still loving and playing TS3 every day as I do now. I don't know why people are of such delicate sensibilities that they can't play and enjoy their game knowing someone else doesn't like it. It's ludicrous.

Looks like a rather poor attempt at baiting to me, no matter how much it's tried to be passed off as some "innocent" opinion.

Baiting you? I don't even know you.
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member

Oh apparently it does.
    It's been moaned about numerous times here, and elsewhere that people can't enjoy their games because other people are criticising it.

Pfft. If I had a dollar for every time someone complained about TS3 I'd be rich - and still loving and playing TS3 every day as I do now. I don't know why people are of such delicate sensibilities that they can't play and enjoy their game knowing someone else doesn't like it. It's ludicrous.

Looks like a rather poor attempt at baiting to me, no matter how much it's tried to be passed off as some "innocent" opinion.

I've always found that an interesting point... the fact that someone else not liking a game can ruin anothers enjoyment. It truly makes no difference to me whether even my best friends likes or dislikes any games that I play. I'm sure for those who are affected by criticism are probably somewhat on the fence about how they feel about the game.

The old 'ts4 runs well' reason will soon be obsolete though. The game runs like a stuck pig right now and many people are unhappy about that. If you have every piece of DLC, as I do, the game hasn't been running as well since the last patch and Vintage Glamour certainly has bought a new raft of bugs.

This game certainly has not reached it's prime, if anything performance wise, it seems to be falling backwards.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member
    To7m wrote: »
    Neia wrote: »

This thread was asking questions. The thread title is a question. There's nothing "obvious" about the anwser here, or the questions wouldn't been asked. Answering "no" to the questions has as much validity as answering "yes" here.

But you don't just say 'no' and move along, do you? You have to impress why your 'yes' is right and why everybody else's 'no' is wrong.

BIG difference if you ask me.

--T

*applause*

Took the words right out of my mouth. A simple "no" is fine, but "no and you all are wrong and have nothing to do in your lives go play TS3/2 instead" is the difference!
    For the life of me I can't seem to find where these pro-TS4 bullies & hecklers some of you keep going on about are hiding. If they were out in full force a couple of years ago, you have clearly beaten them into submission with your opinion sticks.

I agree with @drake_mccarty , there was no need for you to say this.

As for TS4 "bullies", I'm pretty sure I'm looking at one right now.

I'm curious. Why do you think I'm a bully?

You literally just mocked and insulted us. You've contributed nothing to this thread, all you've done is attack and tick people off for no reason. Strikes me as trolling.

I'm sorry if you feel that way.
    I see it differently. I was merely resisiting showing my list. B)
  • MrHawkMrHawk Posts: 4,345 Member
    I would like to recommend that people ignore the baiting in this thread. Until then it was a good source of information from different players who thought the game failed them. Now it's cat and mouse.

Please go back to the topic.

Oh apparently it does.

The last time I saw someone go into great detail about how bad TS3 was, how they couldn't run it, how much of a buggy mess it was, how Sims acted like robots ect, ect I had to laugh. I had just finished a very busy session in game and had a just taken a few pictures of my Sims in their lively Open World.

You can bash TS3 as many times as you want, but no one can deny that it is still growing in popularity and as TS4 is now almost half way through it's life span (maybe) comparisons are becoming more and more accepted now.

I mean aside from a couple of SPs and maybe the odd GP, not much would change from TS4 over the next few months so what you see now is hat you will see when it is two and a half years old. If we compare TS3 to the same time frame you would be able to see the differences.

Base to base, half way to half way and then finally, complete version to complete version. TS3 will still be, in a lot of player's view, a more complete game.

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SimSwim2SimSwim2 Posts: 2,481 Member
    I actually bought Vintage Stuff just for the butler. I got City Living EP for Christmas and personally it's my favorite EP so far. I don't think the game has reached it's prime yet. I think there's going to be a lot of new content to come in the game in future SPs, GPs, and EPs. I would like to see how the Sims 4 grows.
    Origin ID: StripedRainbow
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I don't badger people why they like Sims 4, I'm not even wondering. It's clear many people love the game and I'm not interested in their reasons because that's their business and good right and the fact most reasons don't apply to me is of no interest to them. Nobody has to justify anything. In fact I feel it's the people who criticize the game that constantly have to justify themselves (and are asked to do so directly).

I just can't help noticing that whén people explain it all by themselves - because they're bothered by others not liking it - that it comes down to certain ingredients and quite often - if not always - those ingredients are shown against ingredients of the predecessor. Everybody may badger me to explain what I love about Sims 3 by the way, but a little warning in advance: you'll only give me an excuse to climb my hobbyhorse and you'll have to endure a long list of enthousiastic motivations, that not once will involve 'Sims 1', 'Sims 2' or 'Sims 4'. I love Sims 3 for what it is, not for what it is not.

My points exactly

I have no issue with players liking TS4. Of course some people are going to like it just like some people like Rap music while others don't. Some people listen to Heavy Metal while others don't and for some reason, some people even like Justin Bieber while most people don't.

The thing is a lot of the complainers usually stick to 'feedback threads' like this one. Their are actually a lot of 'positive' threads such as 'What you like about TS4' or 'show a nice picture' and I have no reason to go into those threads, I have no need to either. Those are not threads for me and what would be the point of going into them spoiling it for everyone else?

The thing is these threads are for the players who have genuine concerns. They are made by a concerned player and are commented on by other players with similar views.

@king_of_simcity7 - Exactly, exactly - YES! You're spot on here.

As @Pary said, I can't for the life me understand why some can't enjoy the game because others want it to change. I totally respect and get that there are people that like TS4 and that's ok, great even. I don't need to know why, nor do I particularly care why because I have my opinion on the game; I want it to change for the better because I love this franchise and don't want to see it go down the toilet.
    I will add another thing that keeps holding me back and is something else a lot of players keep mentioning.

The lack of progression:

We all know that TS2 and TS3 where steps forwards. TS2 gave us more life stages, real babies, toddlers, teens and elders with the young adults from University being a 'special feature' with an EP but TS3 made them an official life stage, mostly similar to adults but some subtle differences.

What would I expect from TS4 in terms of progression? Pre teens maybe?

Lets look at Pets. TS3 gave us horses as well as cats and dogs and the smaller animals. Some of them you can collect and find across various worlds. Will we get Pets in TS4? If so, will horses even be included, or like the cars are they actually obsolete with no Open World? How about more animals, cows, sheep, chickens in a much requested farm EP or how about lions, tigers and elephants in a zoo EP? A Sim dressed as a bear does not count.

We had houseboats in TS3. What would I expect next? An ocean liner perhaps? That would be wicked if we actually got that, until we find out that we cannot edit it in any way. The blue ocean that surrounds it would only be a backdrop anyway. Houseboats are actually unlikely.

These suggestions of mine are what I call the next steps, building on a previous idea but making it bigger and better before. Now I am sure that TS4 could still throw in a few cool features here and there but most of it would be copied from before, and scaled down some what.

Progression is what a lot of us players are asking for and I hope that one day our requests can be met.

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg