Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has the Sims 4 passed its prime?

Comments

• TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    If it weren't the holiday season, and say, mid-summer instead, I wonder how different this thread would be. Just because the staff have been busy lately (and right now probably aren't around at all), doesn't mean we can't attempt to keep the discussion clean. I see a lot of rule breaks going on.

What a disappointment. :| Holiday cheer, indeed.

As far as the thread topic actually goes, I've already said that I don't believe this game has went past its prime. Most DLC-heavy games don't until they're finished with official support. But I'm starting to think that maybe the series as a whole has. How many versions of pets, seasons, etc can there really be and stay new and fresh and not just rehashed ad nauseum?

This leads to all this circular, never getting anywhere, argument nonsense in the community that we're seeing now. Take the Vintage Glamour SP that just came out, for example. Some people complain that we had to pay for the butler, and in the same post suggest they should've been in an EP, which costs four times as much, lol. They can't be happy that butlers are both back, a quarter of what they used to cost, and just as functional. Why? Because it's redone content again.

For every Halo remaster bundle, there's a new Halo 5 (or was it 4, I forget). For every Modern Warfare remaster, there's Infinity Warfare. But Sims doesn't have that. It has the same stuff, over and over again, with each new game. And while I think Sims 4 has done a decent job and mixing the content up (because what else can be done at this point besides literally calling packs by the same names as before, let's be honest, lol), I don't think it's enough.

Sims needs a dramatic change as a series overall. The next game, if there is one, doesn't need "to go back to TS2 or TS3". It needs to do something that hasn't been done in this series before. Otherwise we really do have a franchise past its prime. I don't know what that change needs to be either, btw. Maybe it's a different genre. Maybe it's a different setting in time, or culturally. Maybe you play as Supernaturals from the start next time and regular Sims are the 'aliens'.

Otherwise, this community will always be comparing 'copies' or 'clones' to the 'original' and we won't be getting anywhere. Succeed or fail as they might, other game franchises at least mix things up every new iteration far more than this series does.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited December 2016
    If it weren't the holiday season, and say, mid-summer instead, I wonder how different this thread would be. Just because the staff have been busy lately (and right now probably aren't around at all), doesn't mean we can't attempt to keep the discussion clean. I see a lot of rule breaks going on.

What a disappointment. :| Holiday cheer, indeed.

As far as the thread topic actually goes, I've already said that I don't believe this game has went past its prime. Most DLC-heavy games don't until they're finished with official support. But I'm starting to think that maybe the series as a whole has. How many versions of pets, seasons, etc can there really be and stay new and fresh and not just rehashed ad nauseum?

This leads to all this circular, never getting anywhere, argument nonsense in the community that we're seeing now. Take the Vintage Glamour SP that just came out, for example. Some people complain that we had to pay for the butler, and in the same post suggest they should've been in an EP, which costs four times as much, lol. They can't be happy that butlers are both back, a quarter of what they used to cost, and just as functional. Why? Because it's redone content again.

For every Halo remaster bundle, there's a new Halo 5 (or was it 4, I forget). For every Modern Warfare remaster, there's Infinity Warfare. But Sims doesn't have that. It has the same stuff, over and over again, with each new game. And while I think Sims 4 has done a decent job and mixing the content up (because what else can be done at this point besides literally calling packs by the same names as before, let's be honest, lol), I don't think it's enough.

Sims needs a dramatic change as a series overall. The next game, if there is one, doesn't need "to go back to TS2 or TS3". It needs to do something that hasn't been done in this series before. Otherwise we really do have a franchise past its prime. I don't know what that change needs to be either, btw. Maybe it's a different genre. Maybe it's a different setting in time, or culturally. Maybe you play as Supernaturals from the start next time and regular Sims are the 'aliens'.

Otherwise, this community will always be comparing 'copies' or 'clones' to the 'original' and we won't be getting anywhere. Succeed or fail as they might, other game franchises at least mix things up every new iteration far more than this series does.

At the risk of straying too far off topic, same type of divide is happening in the Star Wars community.
    Point of entry has a lot to do with an individuals perspective.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    So does it really make one bit of difference if you have been playing the game since Sims 1 that you need to nit pick on TS4 and want it to be like every other sims game from 1- 4? So what if it's not following the other games in the series it's wasn't meant to. I have been playing this game from the beginning but I haven't once said I want them all to like each other. I really hated TS3 because I really hated the open world concept. So I am glad that they ditched it. I buy games to my taste and TS4 was in my taste because it was different it has it flaws where there isn't enough content to keep even me interested but I still love the game.
    But for what?

I can understand it if you mainly like to make sims and to build houses and maybe also like to watch your sims party a little. But what else is there to like?

Raising a family works better in the previous games. The careers do too. Even the hobbies also. Family stories and neighborhood stories work better in TS2. And the funny reactions with consequences were also better. So I can't see TS4 as much more than a tool to make sims and to build houses. Watching the sims party on their own and having them doing angry poops isn't worth looking at for more than a few minutes. So where is the gameplay that earlier could keep us playing for hours everyday for months?

But for what? Why does everybody who likes the game have to justify themselves to those who haven't "played it since June" or since 2015?

Just do not go on and on and on and on and on about how you dislike the game.

Write to EA personally as to how they can change the game to your tastes and stop complaining here. EA obviously do not read such long posts anyway. They have a job to do.

You may have played since "The Sims" for all I know. I have done that and enjoyed them all in their own way but have never complained endlessly as some do here to upset those who do.
    Nobody have to justify anything. I don't mind it if you like the game. I would just like to understand why?

If you could make me understand then I might even begin to play the game again?

Otherwise it sounds to me like you are saying: "Oh I love TS4 because the earlier games were way too complicated for me. I needed a simpler game with fewer age groups and without those complicated terrain tools. I also needed the game to become easier and happier such that the sims could do much more by themselves and such that I only needed to watch them. I also like the fewer interactions with babies and that teens have the same height and behavior as adults because I really needed the game to become more simple and easier for me to "play" and watch."

But I don't believe that this is really what you mean. Or am I wrong? ;)

There you go again.

Putting peoples' arguments for them in order to knock them down.

Enjoy your holiday.

I'm off to play monopoly with the family.

• pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    So does it really make one bit of difference if you have been playing the game since Sims 1 that you need to nit pick on TS4 and want it to be like every other sims game from 1- 4? So what if it's not following the other games in the series it's wasn't meant to. I have been playing this game from the beginning but I haven't once said I want them all to like each other. I really hated TS3 because I really hated the open world concept. So I am glad that they ditched it. I buy games to my taste and TS4 was in my taste because it was different it has it flaws where there isn't enough content to keep even me interested but I still love the game.
    But for what?

I can understand it if you mainly like to make sims and to build houses and maybe also like to watch your sims party a little. But what else is there to like?

Raising a family works better in the previous games. The careers do too. Even the hobbies also. Family stories and neighborhood stories work better in TS2. And the funny reactions with consequences were also better. So I can't see TS4 as much more than a tool to make sims and to build houses. Watching the sims party on their own and having them doing angry poops isn't worth looking at for more than a few minutes. So where is the gameplay that earlier could keep us playing for hours everyday for months?
    I like playing but I have always used mods so my gamestyle is different then most.

It does matter, because we know what to expect in a Sims game. Of course, TS4 had to be different, but the whole point of new iterations is to build on the previous one. I'm not saying that newcomers to TS4 aren't relevant (they are, 100%) but veterans of the series have expectations for the game while newcomers, for the most part, don't know what to expect. I started back in 2010, I thought TS3 was a great game until I got onto the forums and saw a bunch of people making valid criticisms of it (lackluster story progression, poor stuff packs, etc).

So you didn't like open world; that's fine. However, there are plenty of people who did (myself included) and the TS4's performance is already starting to struggle since it had to control four different neighborhoods at once, compared to just one in TS3. It's gotten so bad that the game has to literally remove sims from the game with no warning. In TS3, if the world got overpopulated, the game simply killed off or said that the families "moved away" in the newspaper.
    The only problem with that is my TS3 experience was that the first to be killed were toddlers and babies and my game was a freaking hot mess I couldn't get attached to my sims.

I don't think it's a case of having enough content. Whatever these Sims are given to do they will do it without meaning or depth. I have enjoyed previous versions of this game...all of them...until now. This doesn't even feel like a Sims game to me because these Sims just feel superficial. It's nice that you can enjoy the game but I just can't feel any connection to these poor little misconceived creatures.
    To me it doesn't have enough to keep me busy and i like the careers in the game I can actually finish them. I can get more attached to my sims in 4 because my TS3 game just took me out of their lives because I couldn't keep track of them and mainly because my game babies and toddlers were the first to go if the world was over populated so it ruined rotational play for me.

Just the opposite for me. These TS4 Sims seem to be just so many pixels without a clue. I just don't understand the culling people talk about in TS3. I started playing in 2009 and played just about every day. While I would occasionally get a message about a death at the swimming pool or a family was leaving town I only ever had one played family culled. The others were Sims/families that weren't familiar at all.
    It happened before I knew about mods but basically I would rotational play and toddlers and babies that were in the houses I would play would be gone and in the family tree it just had them as dead. So I had a hard time getting attached to any sim in that neighborhood. But it made it really hard to play because my neighborhoods usually died quicker without a mod to balance out the neighborhood.

JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @pepperjax1230 I don't know why, but culling must have been a far more present problem in your Sims 3 game than in mine. I can get attached to whomever I want in the game (I play generational so there are a lot of dear relatives living in the worlds I play in) without having to say goodbye to anyone. The only times that happened was when a sim was living alone, so I always make sure they live with several sims in a household.

I could swear you changed your avatar into a Sims 3 sim by the way, am I getting delusional :o ? She's very pretty by the way.
    Thanks and ya I did I try to once in awhile play but always end up quitting because its to hard to play I think its just because the game uses tons of resources and so does the mod so the 2 together are resource hogs. Not the best combination.
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    @pepperjax1230 the NRAAS mods for SP have really changed my view on S3. I have more families than I can count that I rotate through, and it all stays the way I like it.

If you're interested, this is a good start for rotational play. It may seem a bit daunting at first, but it's well worth the initial setup: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Story+Progression+Rotational+Caste+Settings

Igazor is also a great help in the S3 section if you ever need help. Just tag him/her there and they're always happy to help. I just don't want to tag them here. I don't think they come to this part of the forum and I have no desire to drag her/him into this thread.

I also have individual sims setup up for certain things with NRAAS. Some never age while others do. There are so many different possibilities with those mods. I always avoided them in the past, but now I don't think I could play without them.
    I have tons of Nrass mods I couldn't play that game without them but it still doesn't mean its a huge hot mess to play.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
    edited December 2016
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    When all is said and done and the content issue is laid to rest I think TS4 will definitely have higher marks than it has now amongst the people who are actively playing and adding to the game,

Hence the answer is no, It hasn't reached it's prime.
    What has happened here is the subject line has morphed into yet another debate as to whether or not it's as good as previous iterations.

So the people who already think the game is the best, will still think it's the best?

The game is two years old, has 3 full expansions, 3 game packs, and 9 stuff packs (that also include gameplay) - shouldn't the "content issue" be resolved? I'd say the issues that have plagued the game since launch run a little deeper than just a lack of content.

The question was has it past it's Prime?
    Not which title do you think is best.

So from the perspective of people who are playing the game and are enjoying it hasn't peaked until they stop making contennt for it.
    For those who never liked the game in the first place the question is moot.

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    @TheGoodOldGamer Good thing you're not a moderator then.
    @pepperjax1230 Well your sim can't be the problem, that's for sure ;) She has the sweetest face. I understand now you were referring to rotational play and I only played rotational once, in the very beginning. It might be possible playing rotational caused unique problems of its own I never came across. I lost one little nephew once, the toddler son of my heir's brother. He had just vanished from the game, his icon in the family tree always remaining a toddler (bit spooky). But apart from that (sticking to one household in a modless game) I've really had very little culling (and like I said, always one sim households).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @TheGoodOldGamer I do agree that it is a shame that it is Christmas and some players are caught up in the usual debate but each to their own.

I have actually taken a break from the forums today as I was busy at work and now I'm relaxing with a glass of wine.

I say that we put our opinions to one side just for one day as it is Christmas, the season of good will and all :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • KajkaElinaKajkaElina Posts: 201 Member
    I don't think it's hit it's prime yet. I think that there is a lot to be improved upon certainly but I hope that will come with time.

You could argue all sims games are repetitive, my Husband is a Gamer but thinks the sims is just the same thing, day after sim day. He does like build mode that said and he likes hearing my funny Sim stories.

I don't think LGR criticising the game means anything and no disrespect intended. I am puzzled why his name continuously pops up on threads. I have seen people state they don't buy anything sims related till they have saw his review specifically. I mean why? Just because he's not an influencer doesn't mean his review is the best thing since sliced bread. Yes he made some valid points in his two years of meh video and I think he did strike a nerve with Simmers who felt/feel similar but his opinions are just that: an opinion!

I think the game has got better since City Living came out. I'm not ready for the sims 5. I would rather see the sims 4 evolve.

Because he is not gushing over how the game is great but says his opinion. And a lot of simmers feel the same as him, so...
    CATS ARE THE BEST!

My Origin ID is catKajka.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited December 2016
    But for what?

But for what? Why does everybody who likes the game have to justify themselves to those who haven't "played it since June" or since 2015?

Write to EA personally as to how they can change the game to your tastes and stop complaining here. EA obviously do not read such long posts anyway. They have a job to do.

You may have played since "The Sims" for all I know. I have done that and enjoyed them all in their own way but have never complained endlessly as some do here to upset those who do.
    Nobody have to justify anything. I don't mind it if you like the game. I would just like to understand why?

Otherwise it sounds to me like you are saying: "Oh I love TS4 because the earlier games were way too complicated for me. I needed a simpler game with fewer age groups and without those complicated terrain tools. I also needed the game to become easier and happier such that the sims could do much more by themselves and such that I only needed to watch them. I also like the fewer interactions with babies and that teens have the same height and behavior as adults because I really needed the game to become more simple and easier for me to "play" and watch."

In other words it's not enough for people to say "I like it, and that's that"
    You feel the need to have someone list the reasons so you have the opportunity to object to them.

It reeks of an eltist attitude that your vision of the game is the "right" vision of the game.
    No I can't object to their true feelings even if I feel differently. They have every right to like the game. I would just like to understand why they like it.

We have all listed our reasons for not liking it. But I have never seen anybody even attempt to tell us why they like the game. Why not?
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    But for what?

You feel the need to have someone list the reasons so you have the opportunity to object to them.

It reeks of an eltist attitude that your vision of the game is the "right" vision of the game.
    No I can't object to their true feelings even if I feel differently. They have every right to like the game. I would just like to understand why they like it.

We have all listed our reasons for not liking it. But I have never seen anybody even attempt to tell us why they like the game. Why not?

Over the past two years there have been countless posts by simmers telling why they like Sims 4. I know I've contributed to some of those threads and I'm done trying to justify my enjoyment of the game. I like it just as much as I do the previous versions and am looking forward to what's coming next year.
    But for what?

Over the past two years there have been countless posts by simmers telling why they like Sims 4. I know I've contributed to some of those threads and I'm done trying to justify my enjoyment of the game. I like it just as much as I do the previous versions and am looking forward to what's coming next year.
    I haven't seen them. Only post that says something like: "You are so wrong critisising this game. TS4 is so perfect and I love everything about it."

The only attempts on giving a reason have been something like: "This game is much better than TS3 because it works while TS3 crashed all the time."

But I need better reasons than some people's problems with TS3. Also not just "I like the looks of the sims in TS4." because what I am curious about is what people do in the game? Do they just use all their time on creating sims and building houses? Do they just watch their sims having parties and multitask on their own for hours? Or has they found something else that they like better but that I can't even imagine?
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    But for what?

I haven't seen them. Only post that says something like: "You are so wrong critisising this game. TS4 is so perfect and I love everything about it."

The only attempts on giving a reason have been something like: "This game is much better than TS3 because it works while TS3 crashed all the time."

But I need better reasons than some people's problems with TS3. Also not just "I like the looks of the sims in TS4." because what I am curious about is what people do in the game? Do they just use all their time on creating sims and building houses? Do they just watch their sims having parties and multitask on their own for hours? Or has they found something else that they like better but that I can't even imagine?

People complain that TS3 crashed all the time?

My only issue with that is certain lots that are built over the water crash when there is snow. That is the lot in my signature and also its smaller counterpart. It is only those two lots that crash and only in the snow. If they render out, the game crashes. It is a mystery why that happens though.

Other than that I get crashes if the game isn't patched properly. The 'Super Patcher' from MTS fixes that and when on a low end machine I got a few occasional crashes.

On the whole, my game is problem free. I can play for hours on end and so do most other players. Crashes and freezes happened in TS1 and TS2 as well and I have seen some ocassional mention of crashes or freezes ipfrom TS4 players as well so that is nothing exclusive to TS3 and no reason to put TS3 down.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • ShanShan Posts: 126 Member
    I feel like the peak is still ahead - personally I've only recently really managed to get into the game after a couple of years being able to only spend maybe an hour in-game. Of course, that could just be my personal opinion and tastes changing and have nothing to do with the state of the game ;D
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Shan wrote: »
    I feel like the peak is still ahead - personally I've only recently really managed to get into the game after a couple of years being able to only spend maybe an hour in-game. Of course, that could just be my personal opinion and tastes changing and have nothing to do with the state of the game ;D

Try spending more time in the game, it seems alright at first... But after a while you'll notice that traits mean nothing and the game is actually very shallow.
    raw
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    But for what?

100% With Erpe there. Why do you like Sims 4 always always always comes down to (did I mention always? always) 'it runs smooth', 'look at those graphics and lighting' and 'at least it's better than and doesn't have this and that Sims 3 has'. In fact that's a major reason I stick around here. Not only did they sacrifice everything that pulled me into this game, it also gets cheered by too many people to feel comfortable about the future of the game from my perspective. Counterposing has be a necessity from day one. The whole 'you critics and us fans' is a hoax anyway. A lot of criticism is coming from people who actually play the game and want to embrace it.
    They have been very reluctant to tell us anything about the way they play. So I suspect that they mostly play with a single sim and just let this sim woohoo with all other sims in the gameworld but are too embarrassed to tell us :) They most likely only prefer TS4 because this way of playing requires less work from them than it did in the previous versions :)
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    A lot of people waited out Sims 3 without being able to understand why others liked it. I was among them, despite that I play it now. I never badgered people to tell me why they liked it. I honestly didn't care.

There really is no reason why anyone should have to justify why they like something. As far as I'm concerned, the question borders on harassment. There are plenty of threads out there that pretty much outline what they like about the game. And like in the S3 days, I stay out of those threads for the same reasons I stayed out of them back in the S3 days.

I simply don't care.

I know I don't enjoy it, but I really don't need to know why others do. We're all different. That's what makes life interesting and diverse.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited December 2016
    A lot of people waited out Sims 3 without being able to understand why others liked it. I was among them, despite that I play it now. I never badgered people to tell me why they liked it. I honestly didn't care.

There really is no reason why anyone should have to justify why they like something. As far as I'm concerned, the question borders on harassment. There are plenty of threads out there that pretty much outline what they like about the game. And like in the S3 days, I stay out of those threads for the same reasons I stayed out of them back in the S3 days.

I simply don't care.

I know I don't enjoy it, but I really don't need to know why others do. We're all different. That's what makes life interesting and diverse.

+1

No one has to justify (especially to the point of being somewhat harassed or indirectly insulted) why they like something.

But...I do feel that.... On the other side of the coin, though, people should also be allowed to dislike something as well (as long as they are not harassing other players/customers or being rude to others).

(BTW, I did the same thing as you: waited out the iteration, with Sims 3).

ETA: To get back on topic, I still think that Sims 4 hasn't had its prime yet, and I feel it's still not positively received in general, so I'm waiting to see how vampires will be approached.

At this point, the devs need to ramp it up to reach the critical acclaim and positive reception and to catch up to the awesome content level (and depth) of the previous three sims iterations.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member

I simply don't care.

+1

No one has to justify (especially to the point of being somewhat harassed or indirectly insulted) why they like something.

But...I do feel that.... On the other side of the coin, though, people should also be allowed to dislike something as well (as long as they are not harassing other players/customers or being rude to others).

(BTW, I did the same thing as you: waited out the iteration, with Sims 3).

Definitely.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited December 2016
    But for what?

Honestly I don't think it's necessary to justify liking something. People like what they like. Having said that I'm still curious about the why on this one. I've seen people say it runs runs well on their computer. To me that's not enough.....again it's not a bad reason it's just not enough for me. I do think they've done a few things well...like CAS....but game play and customization? It just plain disappoints and I have trouble understanding how people can be happy with such a shallow game. They only explanation I can see is that their expectations are different from my expectations......and with a 4th generation of a Sims game in 2014...I expected a lot more.

Actually, I think this is a good subjective, personal reason to like or dislike a game: If a doesn't work, then a person can't really enjoy it in the first place, can they?

As for me, I will give Sims 4 a pro-point for that (for me, personally, IMHO, in my own game, not saying it is for everyone): that I am able to pick it up and play with less stress. Emphasize that: For me, in my own game, I really, really that smoothness that worked for me.

I love that pick up and play aspect, which is why I usually tend to play consoles, handhelds, and retro, and less computer-intensive PC games--or PC games that have some proper optimization or a nice/friendly computer range.

If a game is too computer intense, then I either wait a long time until I can get a new PC that can sort of play it, or, if I can't afford the graphics card or whatever, then I would wait for the console version of it, which many major AAA games nowadays seems to have... (Feels like multiplatforming is the thing nowadays, with some exclusives here and there.)

I would like to play without having to fiddle so, so much with it, so that is one big positive I give to Sims 4--so far--for me, personally. (I know Sims 4 doesn't technically work for and has many bugs for other simmers, but for me, with my own personal computer, it was pretty smooth and only a few minor bugs.)

I am appreciating more and more that pick up and play (without having to fiddle with mods, etc) aspect more and more as I get older and have less time for gaming. Consoles and handhelds (and smaller indie games or casual games) are awesome for me nowadays because of this.

ETA: In terms of Sims games, I am not liking this trend of having to constantly mod the games to get my personal fun out of them. I never felt the need for modding and fixing Sims 1 and 2 (except for that one corruption bug fix), but I had to with the later sims games.

I am not enthusiastic about Sims 5, because I did not have great experiences with those last two sims games so far... I still love Sims 1 and 2, but I fear, with me not enjoying the last recent sims games, that the series has moved on, and I am no longer the customer the series is aiming at anymore... :disappointed:

Oh, well. At least I still got other types of games and indie games out there to play with.
    Post edited by LatinaBunny on
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
    edited December 2016
    For the life of me I can't seem to find where these pro-TS4 bullies & hecklers some of you keep going on about are hiding. If they were out in full force a couple of years ago, you have clearly beaten them into submission with your opinion sticks.

Seems to me every thread criticiszing TS4 rolls along swimingly until someone makes the fatal error of suggesting that perhaps if the perfect Sims game has already been made, maybe you should still be happily playing it?

Man the right to express our opinions torpedos, load the post is off topic gun, fire the threat to have poster banned canon... offender is demolished. everyone high fives, on to the next battle. Rinse lather repeat....

So resounding and comnplete is your victory, you are now policing the boards making sure TS4 cheerleaders don't get out of line?
    "Show me yoiur list" lol you have got to be kidding/i]me. B)
    Post edited by Uzone27 on
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    But for what?

Honestly I don't think it's necessary to justify liking something. People like what they like. Having said that I'm still curious about the why on this one. I've seen people say it runs runs well on their computer. To me that's not enough.....again it's not a bad reason it's just not enough for me. I do think they've done a few things well...like CAS....but game play and customization? It just plain disappoints and I have trouble understanding how people can be happy with such a shallow game. They only explanation I can see is that their expectations are different from my expectations......and with a 4th generation of a Sims game in 2014...I expected a lot more.

Actually, I think this is a good subjective, personal reason to like or dislike a game: If a doesn't work, then a person can't really enjoy it in the first place, can they?

As for me, I will give Sims 4 a pro-point for that (for me, personally, IMHO, in my own game, not saying it is for everyone): that I am able to pick it up and play with less stress. Emphasize that: For me, in my own game, I really, really that smoothness that worked for me.

I love that pick up and play aspect, which is why I usually tend to play consoles, handhelds, and retro, and less computer-intensive PC games--or PC games that have some proper optimization or a nice/friendly computer range.

If a game is too computer intense, then I either wait a long time until I can get a new PC that can sort of play it, or, if I can't afford the graphics card or whatever, then I would wait for the console version of it, which many major AAA games nowadays seems to have... (Feels like multiplatforming is the thing nowadays, with some exclusives here and there.)

I would like to play without having to fiddle so, so much with it, so that is one big positive I give to Sims 4--so far--for me, personally. (I know Sims 4 doesn't technically work for and has many bugs for other simmers, but for me, with my own personal computer, it was pretty smooth and only a few minor bugs.)

I am appreciating more and more that pick up and play (without having to fiddle with mods, etc) aspect more and more as I get older and have less time for gaming. Consoles and handhelds (and smaller indie games or casual games) are awesome for me nowadays because of this.

ETA: In terms of Sims games, I am not liking this trend of having to constantly mod the games to get my personal fun out of them. I never felt the need for modding and fixing Sims 1 and 2 (except for that one corruption bug fix), but I had to with the later sims games.

I am not enthusiastic about Sims 5, because I did not have great experiences with those last two sims games so far... I still love Sims 1 and 2, but I fear, with me not enjoying the last recent sims games, that the series has moved on, and I am no longer the customer the series is aiming at anymore... :disappointed:

Oh, well. At least I still got other types of games and indie games out there to play with.

That's one reason I don't like the way TS4 plays. When I play the Sims it's to escape into my game and it's something I never open unless I have the time to do just that. If I just want something to fill up some time I have a lot of 'time waster' tablet games.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright