The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Have You Stopped Playing Sims 4?

I've noticed lately that there are a lot of threads popping up about uninstalling the Sims 4 and also that there are many Simmers popping up in The Sims 3 GD section to say they're playing again (or for the first time).

Now I know there are many that still love and enjoy The Sims 4 and I think that's fantastic, but for those that have uninstalled, don't play, haven't played, have gone to a different iteration, or are simply waiting for the series to move on, I'm curious as to what made you get to the point? What's the main thing that made you stop and what would make you play again?

Comments

• dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    I still use it but only to practice building. The main reason I rather play 2 or 3 is that I don't want to spend all my money on games and I did everything in this game. Sure, I'm really tempted to buy CL every time it's on sale (although I'm a bit mad at EA for putting Fifa 16 on sale when I bought it just a few hours befor that for about 23 euros) but I resist.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited December 2016
    Evil_One wrote: »
    For me, I uninstalled it because I just can't play it in the style I enjoy... I like creating Sims with unique personalities, and have them live their lives according to their wants (or occasionally I like tormenting my sims); At first the Sims 4 didn't seem to bad to me, but as I played it more and more I realised that aside from appearances (and even there the customisation has a lot of limitations), they're all the same... It doesn't matter what personality I give to them, it's always overridden by their emotions, so an inspired writer, geek, foodie, ETC will all want the same thin

Not only that but they're also incapable of actually reacting to something, it's like every time a sim interacts with another sim, each and every conversation is the first time, a sim that's furious with another can slap the plum of them one minute and the next they're having a friendly chat, or joking around.

And they're smiling, always smiling.

TS4 IMO is like someone bolted a fancy graphical UI onto a facebook game or tablet app, there's no depth there, no numbers behind the game, just a lifeless sham.

like this:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2F1KAoDr83C-U%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&f=1

Only if you don't look too close, does the illusion maintain its integrity.

Heh. It worked for Clint Eastwood >.>

But yeah. I think they got too ambitious with what they could offer opposed to what they could let us build. Pretty sure I got your point though, I think... Maybe.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited December 2016
    I only bought the basegame and Outdoor Retreat. I tried to let my sim improve in a career and do some gardening. Then I also saw that there were some challenging about building collections. But those challenges required me to go to other neighborhoods and just wait there until the objects after a long time would be ready to collect. I am not that much into collecting anyway and the waiting times stopped me from even trying.

So I concentrated on gardening and getting to the top of the career such that I could start a new game and try something else. Then after a promotion the game suddenly told me that my sim now had to wait 14 days before it was possible to get him promoted again. This was too boring for me to even try.

I also investigated Outdoor Retreat a little. But there were not really anything of interest and the main game was boring. The gameplay also seemed to be about (too happy) partying which I weren't really into. The new emotions weren't any improvement anyway and the new multitasking was mostly annoying and about letting my sims waste a huge amount of time on things I didn't want them to do such that they would become too late for work or other things.

There were other things (like building a family, flirting and dating) that I would have tried too if the game had been better. But everything was so simplified, dumped down and easy (except for the boring waiting times) that I didn't think that this would be interesting either and just reading tho forum confirmed it. YouTube videos did the same. So I didn't care to even try it.

So I decided that this was a game which was different and which added new things which were more annoying than good. The earlier games were actually better (except for the graphics) and I didn't even play those old games anymore either. If the Sims 4had been an improvement of TS2 or TS3 I would have played it much more and bought many more expansions. But instead it was a trivial annoying and boring version of the Sims games with simplifications and about building boring collections or just watching parties instead of playing an interesting and challenging game. So I stopped playing it and I don't think that anything could bring me back. Therefore I am now just waiting to see if the Sims 5 will become a better game.
  • sof2106sof2106 Posts: 136 Member
    I completely agree with everything said above. Sure, I bought GTW, GT, CL, stuff packs and whatnot, but I too cannot get past that every sim I make is essentially the same character. I may create a genius sim but the only difference is that they get focused randomly or more often than other sims. But when another sim gets focused (and that's sooo easy) they have the exact same wishes and probabilities to, say, win a chess match! That's not right. In Sims 3 being a genius mattered, they would excel in almost everything and had a huge advantage compared to other sims in skilling. Emotions had potential but are extremely broken and do not feel real. I had a family of two sisters in an apartment which had a great relationship, but when a neighbor started making noise they became furious and started throwing drinks at each other! In Sims 2 the emotions (yes, I believe the sims had emotions, they were just not thrown in our faces like now) were directed towards the right person, they would fight if they encountered an enemy or a person they disliked, or if they were really mean.
    That said, I really enjoy CAS in Sims 4 and making different types of sims, everything is really smooth and easy. I will be playing from time to time for a little, but the gameplay is seriously lacking. And the thing is, I don't see it improving because what? They are going to get rid of the emotions just like that? It is what it is now.
    Maybe it's because my great love of the series has always been TS3 (which is in a whole different direction of the rest Sims games), but I don't think I'll ever enjoy TS4 like TS3.
  • MarcustzbMarcustzb Posts: 140 Member
    Personally i have base game and City Living (Which came out last month)

My Recent 'stop playing' was because of one small reason back in start of December, I'm Just out of ideas how to play the game.

But now i'm continue playing the game since last Thursday but out of ideas again. After this month, i just taking hiatus as the game continues to improve a little or the next EP came out.
    Find me via Origin, Search by my name from my profile :)
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    edited December 2016
    I still have the game on My computer, But I only log in now to check My Gallery, and probably do the challenges, All My homes are filled with My creations, But I am to afraid to even play My families, cause I do not want them messed up with the relationship culling bull, until they fix the game so our Sims do not get messed up like Sims having babies without us there to name them, then I just wont be playing the game much.
    P.S. Sorry forgot to mention that I have gone back to Sims 2 & 3 cause of the Sims 4 mess.
  • GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    I bought it when it was released and I really did get into it for a while. Stopped playing TS3, downloaded a LOT of CC just to make it bearable... but I like playing sort of Legacy style (when I play) and from the hop genetics were borked. I was getting the wide jaw, tiny eye thing on my males.
    Then patched, which said it was fixed. That's fine. Except then I started to get this weird nose on 50% of males born in the game. It didn't belong to either parent and would happen between non-related families. So that sort of blew my interest in generational play (beyond the fact that there are very few interations).
    So then my interest waned and to top it off 'emotions' were driving me crazy. They cycled too much, they didn't MEAN anything. Objects triggered emotions over and over again and I realized that my sims actually didn't have a personality at all, they were just reacting to triggers from objects.

SO, I gave up. I never re-installed it on my PC when I got a new HD. I still have it on my laptop, but the last time I tried to play I was so limited with CAS (no opacity, no customization, few skin colours, few hair colours, few eye colours, limited facial ranges). I just can't. And the fact that there is no SP so to speak. Poor SP was one of the MAJOR reasons that I jumped to MODS in TS3, but that was 'fixable'. I tried TS4 to get something similar, but I just can't. In any way.

So here we are! I get discouraged too when I see EP after EP, (and gp and SP's) that are all basically empty and void of any interesting game content. I can DL a million times better CC objects from awesome creators out there. But the gameplay interactions are missing. I hoped for vastly improved genetics and customization of the gameplay and sims themselves. Its just let down after let down, so I stopped playing.
    Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    I tend to go through phases and, at the moment, I am in a 'stopped playing ts4' phase and loving ts3 again. I am sure I will pick it back up at some point but it's just not for me right now.

I think, with the holiday season here, I wanted to play seasons and Winter and have gift giving. But also, in general, I still feel as though there isn't much to do in ts4. I am not a fan of the semi-closed world because I like to be able to flit from sim to sim in different places and control exactly what each one does.

I do like aspects of ts4, which is why I will probably play it again every now and then, but there is still so much missing which I do not believe will ever get added. TS3 has a lot of what I want and only a few things missing whereas it is the other way around with ts4.
  • MadIrisMadIris Posts: 594 Member
    I tend to go through phases and, at the moment, I am in a 'stopped playing ts4' phase and loving ts3 again. I am sure I will pick it back up at some point but it's just not for me right now.

I think, with the holiday season here, I wanted to play seasons and Winter and have gift giving. But also, in general, I still feel as though there isn't much to do in ts4. I am not a fan of the semi-closed world because I like to be able to flit from sim to sim in different places and control exactly what each one does.

I do like aspects of ts4, which is why I will probably play it again every now and then, but there is still so much missing which I do not believe will ever get added. TS3 has a lot of what I want and only a few things missing whereas it is the other way around with ts4.

THIS.

Funny thing is, 4 was my first ever sims experience.. it's been off and on every since. I bought CL but the constant duplicates from the library walking around and the resetting-when-eating glitch did it for me... now I'm off again. I'm too busy with a Sunset Valley custom world (with the routing issues fixed) to care.
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I try to play from time to time, but TS4 just doesn't hold my interest. It's too limiting, too restricting and too shallow in regards to the way I want to play.
  • AnimebleachfanAnimebleachfan Posts: 1 New Member
    I am a fan of the Sims, and have just started playing. I am a beginner on the Sims and still have a lot to learn, but I love the Sims 4 way better than Sims 3, because the graphics are amazing, and the game play feels as though you were actually that Sim character. I stopped playing the Sims 3 because I became bored, and plus I had my education to worry about such as school and so on! I started playing the Sims when I was in middle school, now I recently just downloaded Sims 4 City Living and absolutely love it so muccccch!! I love that my Sim character can do so much with art, and the apartments are so amazing, now I want to play forever! I just wish EA would come out with more awesome packs just like City Living I would like to see something done maybe with anime, or bringing back pets! I know though, I have to be patient with EA, but I just wish more packs would come more faster!
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,818 Member
    I am a fan of the Sims, and have just started playing. I am a beginner on the Sims and still have a lot to learn, but I love the Sims 4 way better than Sims 3, because the graphics are amazing, and the game play feels as though you were actually that Sim character. I stopped playing the Sims 3 because I became bored, and plus I had my education to worry about such as school and so on! I started playing the Sims when I was in middle school, now I recently just downloaded Sims 4 City Living and absolutely love it so muccccch!! I love that my Sim character can do so much with art, and the apartments are so amazing, now I want to play forever! I just wish EA would come out with more awesome packs just like City Living I would like to see something done maybe with anime, or bringing back pets! I know though, I have to be patient with EA, but I just wish more packs would come more faster!

@Animebleachfan, welcome to the forums. :) This thread is directed to those simmers who no longer play Sims 4. You may want to check out the General Discussion and Expansion Pack forums.

• TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I haven't quit, but I can tell you what makes me want to sometimes. The major offenders for me are things I've already talked about in detail on the forums in other threads. Usually things centering around Emotions, Personalities, Buggy Interactions, and in general, AI that makes me want to ram a fork into my eyeball. I feel like I'm supposed to find the AI's flaws cute, but I generally don't because it's just the same flaws happening over and over in exactly the same way. If the AI was a royal mess and every play session was a new adventure in what will go wrong, that might be endearing. But the AI is on the cusp of being something pretty impressive and the fact that it can't quite get there and instead repeats the same mistakes ad nauseum wears on me.

In general, it's hard for me to do long play sessions because the repetition wears on me.

It's possible that some of it is my own fault and I'm trying to be a cat herder crafting a perfect fantasy, rather than letting the structure of the game and my own whims do some leading.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io