Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This is buggin the plum out of me!!!!! PLEASE ANSWER ANYONE, HECK EVERYONE

There is a discussion on here that's saying some things about peoples finances being a possible culprit as to why the sims 4 is sub par...

3 questions and PLEASE answer all/ anything you can relate to (I'll go first of course) :)

1. I wanna know... If the sims 4 had 1,2,3 (and some main important bug fixes corrected) game play and all that other great stuff that made all of the other series great, would you purchase the necessary PC /LAPTOP to support the "RECOMMENDED SPECS" to play the game? (knowing the possibility of a large expense)

2. What is your price/ and or limit?

3. Do you think that "Not Being Able To Buy and expensive PC/Laptop as for the reason why Sims 4 can't/won't do what we want" is Foolish/or Logical? Why?

Now I'm not talking about a perfect game with no issues... Heck it's software none is perfect...

My Answers:
1.Yes

2.I would not spend a million in one fell swoop but I know if the sims franchise could make it happen I'm sure over a 2-3 year period I spend that easy. No problem... even more cause I'd be looking for more. You know what I mean? And to mention I'd spend at most $3000.00 on a system to play sims... Yes I love the idea of it that much. :D<3

3. I think it is foolishness... People travel to Gaming events all over the world to PREVIEW new gaming and tech. Spend more on sporting events, and even more on any material item you can think of just because they want it and what it has to offer... There are people who buy gaming consoles for $700 + and they don't even come with games and controllers... maybe one game and one controller... and still people buy ish like decals for the system and controllers, shirts, headphones, and on and on.... So Yes! I think it is absolutely foolish.

Comments

• Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    1.idk, I don't like a being forced to buy something at a high price just to play it . I mostly stick console games because you spend one set amount knowing that all game you get for it will run no matter what. There is no having to put more money into it.

2. I'd be willing to pay several hundreds like maybe 400-500 but if a game is going to require me to spend over 1k just to get my system to the minimum requirements then no. Especially it is just for one game.

3. Idk, by a business stand point making the game available to more people by lowering the needed requirements is smart. More people more money. But at the same time you shouldn't lower them too much because then you might be limiting yourself and your players in what is possible. So I guess it's just about finding the right balance because you shouldn't make a game just for the elite, the "PC master race" because it limits the audience that you'll have but you don't want to make it low grade that you can barely do anything with it.
  • Options
    Sims_4funnSims_4funn Posts: 103 Member
    VentusMatt wrote: »
    1.idk, I don't like a being forced to buy something at a high price just to play it . I mostly stick console games because you spend one set amount knowing that all game you get for it will run no matter what. There is no having to put more money into it.

2. I'd be willing to pay several hundreds like maybe 400-500 but if a game is going to require me to spend over 1k just to get my system to the minimum requirements then no. Especially it is just for one game.

3. Idk, by a business stand point making the game available to more people by lowering the needed requirements is smart. More people more money. But at the same time you shouldn't lower them too much because then you might be limiting yourself and your players in what is possible. So I guess it's just about finding the right balance because you shouldn't make a game just for the elite, the "PC master race" because it limits the audience that you'll have but you don't want to make it low grade that you can barely do anything with it.

Thanks so much for your answers
  • Options
    CarpeNoctemSimsCarpeNoctemSims Posts: 328 Member
    edited December 2016
    I'd rather not comment that much on the finances of others because not everybody is fortunate. I will say this, does any other game on caliber with the ranking that TS4 has take into consideration what the players can afford? By that I mean, do they limit the game so that everybody can play it while charging the same high prices as the games that are only intended for high end gaming computers?

I think that's a bigger problem.

Charging the same amount as top tier games while holding the game down to a lower tier so that those with entry level computers can play it.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    1) I had a regular computer for Sims1, then got a little bit of a better one for Sims2, then a better one for Sims3. Didn't need to get another one for Sims4 though. My Daughter did get me a new Mac desktop for my birthday though, its not a gaming computer though, but it does good for my Sims games. I dont know much about computers, but my son got a gaming one and it is huge, so I know somewhat of a difference in his vs. mine. I only cared that I had a computer to play my sims with <3

2) I usually stuck with HP computers, didn't get them right away. Waited till they were on sale and used my income tax refund money. Having 5 kids.....a computer was not at the top of my priority list. They needed clothes, shoes, food, etc. I can totally relate and am happy that they are making Sims4 for the ones who can't afford new ones. I have been there myself. I am glad others are able to enjoy the Sims as much as I have over the years. I would sacrifice my happiness for others because thats just me :D

3) If people have the money to go to sporting/gaming events, buy consoles, etc.......then no, I don't think that is foolish. If that is what they do for enjoyment, then good for them. Life is too short so enjoy it while you can. Keeps them out of trouble, LOL. People could think I am foolish because I have bought everything in the Sims Series......I don't see it that way.....because I actually get enjoyment from it.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Sims_4funn wrote: »
    There is a discussion on here that's saying some things about peoples finances being a possible culprit as to why the sims 4 is sub par...

3 questions and PLEASE answer all/ anything you can relate to (I'll go first of course) :)

1. I wanna know... If the sims 4 had 1,2,3 (and some main important bug fixes corrected) game play and all that other great stuff that made all of the other series great, would you purchase the necessary PC /LAPTOP to support the "RECOMMENDED SPECS" to play the game? (knowing the possibility of a large expense)

2. What is your price/ and or limit?

3. Do you think that "Not Being Able To Buy and expensive PC/Laptop as for the reason why Sims 4 can't/won't do what we want" is Foolish/or Logical? Why?

Now I'm not talking about a perfect game with no issues... Heck it's software none is perfect...

My Answers:
    1.Yes

2.I would not spend a million in one fell swoop but I know if the sims franchise could make it happen I'm sure over a 2-3 year period I spend that easy. No problem... even more cause I'd be looking for more. You know what I mean? And to mention I'd spend at most $3000.00 on a system to play sims... Yes I love the idea of it that much. :D<3

3. I think it is foolishness... People travel to Gaming events all over the world to PREVIEW new gaming and tech. Spend more on sporting events, and even more on any material item you can think of just because they want it and what it has to offer... There are people who buy gaming consoles for $700 + and they don't even come with games and controllers... maybe one game and one controller... and still people buy ish like decals for the system and controllers, shirts, headphones, and on and on.... So Yes! I think it is absolutely foolish.

1. I have always strived to upgrade any machine to be better to play better games for me and my family. It's not an issue. If I have to sell something I love to get better parts that is what I would do.

2. I won't discuss finances but I'm frugal so even pc parts are on sale somewhere.

3. I think this game was never 'built' in consideration of the player who can't afford better equipment. I think it was the online atrocity it is and why it is not what long time veterans of the series would have wanted as number 4. It had absolutely nothing to do with low-end laptop users. It was an online MMO and that is why it's such a horrible hybrid.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    I have a wife and daughter to support. What's more important - putting food on the table or playing a computer game? I shouldn't have to spend several thousand dollars on a high end PC just to play TS4.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    If you have a wife and daughter to support, maybe you shouldn't be buying video games at all. Maybe you should save your money for your daughter's higher education.
  • Options
    zubrowkaszubrowkas Posts: 375 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    If you have a wife and daughter to support, maybe you shouldn't be buying video games at all. Maybe you should save your money for your daughter's higher education.

I thought the same but to each their own I guess. :D
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

By the same token, though, video games might be the one outlet for entertainment -- if you're got a family, you're not likely to be out at the bars every night or attending sporting events. A computer should theoretically last about 3-5 years before you have to upgrade or purchase a new one; at least that's been my experience.

EA has a choice -- they could make a game that caters to a very small group of niche players, or a game that is accessible to more people. They chose to go with the latter because, honestly, they'll make a lot more money that way. If you make a game that only 100 people can play because of the specs, not only are you not going to make much money, you're also not going to be attracting new customers. However, if you lower the specs just a bit, you'll open the game up to more players and have the potential to make more money. EA's a business; they have a responsibility to their shareholders.

Maybe WinXP OS was a bit too old to support -- but many people who enjoy the SIms and can't go out and buy the latest and greatest computer right away appreciate that. Adding in 64-bit support has helped; I could see Sims 5 (if that's on the horizon) being 64-bit right out of the box which would make the lowest end computer able to play Win7, though they could up that to Win8 most likely.

Sims 4 has probably suffered more from the change in focus mid-development (from an online game back to the traditional sandbox style, after the SimCity disaster). It seems to be getting on a better footing; it just needed a little extra time to get up to speed.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    blugar44blugar44 Posts: 229 Member

hey, everyone's human, everyone's got stresses and everyone deserves an outlet for those stresses. The fact that he supports a family doesn't mean he isn't entitled to spend his own money on luxuries as well if it fits the budget :)

Regarding the questions...
    1) I have considered purchasing a better PC in the past for gaming but at the moment it's simply not feasible within my meagre student budget hahaha. If I had the expendable cash, sure, even with TS4's current level of content.

2) I'm not bankrupt but everything slots tightly into my budget including luxury expenses like TS4 packs now and again. I guess you could say I'm one of the people EA is catering for by having lower recommended specs than TS3, love me or hate me :O

3) I can understand where you're coming from, if you have the cash you don't wanna feel limited by us underlings holding you back from the perfect game. But at the end of the day, the 1% is the 1%... a small niche market.... and EA is well known to be characterised as a company interested in big bucks, mass consumerism etc. I think it's logical to have a game for low-mid range computers because that's the majority and that's where the money is I guess.
    Honestly, I have hopes that even if their engine is as limited as rumoured, they'll find work arounds. If you think about the apartment system they implemented, I think it was actually clever how they overcame boundaries by creating vertical neighbourhoods. Sure, it came with its limits and maybe exposed some of the limitations of the engine itself, but at the end of the day they did produce functional (yeah yeah, I know some people disagree) high rises.
  • Options
    ThePoeticPreacherThePoeticPreacher Posts: 531 Member
    1) I had a regular computer for Sims1, then got a little bit of a better one for Sims2, then a better one for Sims3. Didn't need to get another one for Sims4 though. My Daughter did get me a new Mac desktop for my birthday though, its not a gaming computer though, but it does good for my Sims games. I dont know much about computers, but my son got a gaming one and it is huge, so I know somewhat of a difference in his vs. mine. I only cared that I had a computer to play my sims with <3

2) I usually stuck with HP computers, didn't get them right away. Waited till they were on sale and used my income tax refund money. Having 5 kids.....a computer was not at the top of my priority list. They needed clothes, shoes, food, etc. I can totally relate and am happy that they are making Sims 4 for the ones who can't afford new ones. I have been there myself. I am glad others are able to enjoy the Sims as much as I have over the years. I would sacrifice my happiness for others because thats just me :D

3) If people have the money to go to sporting/gaming events, buy consoles, etc.......then no, I don't think that is foolish. If that is what they do for enjoyment, then good for them. Life is too short so enjoy it while you can. Keeps them out of trouble, LOL. People could think I am foolish because I have bought everything in the Sims Series......I don't see it that way.....because I actually get enjoyment from it.

@charlotteprice
    I feel you, i brought all of the sims 3 games just to get all emotion lambs in the sims 4 probably was a 180 bucks in total...so i would buy a new computer for the sims game, because it's the only PC game i enjoy....but commenting on what you said about not knowing much about computer, you want to pay attention the memory, Hard Drive, speed, and the intel processor for PCs....for me a computer/laptop with 16 GB of memory is good to have more is awesome. a Hard drive of 1 TB or 2 TB is good more is awesome....the speed can be like 2,4 anything higher is good, and you would want the very latest intel cored processor..and eternal memory drive would be good to......you can get a computer like thee specs i mentioned from Dell like 1,000 and up at Dell (com) or any store that sale Dell computers....
    pO5uos8.jpg
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I have a wife and daughter to support. What's more important - putting food on the table or playing a computer game? I shouldn't have to spend several thousand dollars on a high end PC just to play TS4.

This is a null argument. If I wanted to play something like WOW I know I have to upgrade. And also upgrade my internet to keep up and win.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    HannieHannie Posts: 608 Member
    edited December 2016

I have a daughter as well and she needs stuff all the time. She's 2 and she grows out of her clothes and shoes quicker than I can count. As long as my laptop is working I'll be sticking with it, she needs my money more than I do. And before anyone tells me I shouldn't be able to play videogames because I have a child (which imo is a really, really thoughtless comment to make);

In my country you don't pay for education the same way you do in the states, it's not something you save up to. However, I STILL put away money in her account every month.

I don't use money on my self in ANY OTHER way than simsgames. I don't go out drinking, I don't go out with friends, I don't buy new clothes for myself (if I have to I buy on sale or used), I do absolutely nothing for my self that costs money except Sims, and I only play after her bedtime.

You still think I shouldn't play, or that I should use my money on something else? Just because I can't afford to buy a new computer? And even if I did save up money it's likely I'd end up using it on something familyrelated in stead.
  • Options
    sinnyoncesinnyonce Posts: 88 Member
    1. never played 1, 2, and 3 so not sure what to answer. after getting a laptop of my own two years ago, i decided to start sims 4. i guess my answer is no...?
    2. i wouldn't buy a new computer...i didn't buy a new laptop even though i wanted to play overwatch..definitely wouldn't get a new one for sims
    3. i think it's logical enough. i wouldn't have a bought the sims 4 because the desktop at home would have exploded. getting a new laptop that barely matches the specs was the push for me to buy the game. so no, it's not foolish at all. your answer to this question sure reflects how privileged and ignorant you are.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member

2) I usually stuck with HP computers, didn't get them right away. Waited till they were on sale and used my income tax refund money. Having 5 kids.....a computer was not at the top of my priority list. They needed clothes, shoes, food, etc. I can totally relate and am happy that they are making Sims 4 for the ones who can't afford new ones. I have been there myself. I am glad others are able to enjoy the Sims as much as I have over the years. I would sacrifice my happiness for others because thats just me :D

@charlotteprice
    I feel you, i brought all of the sims 3 games just to get all emotion lambs in the sims 4 probably was a 180 bucks in total...so i would buy a new computer for the sims game, because it's the only PC game i enjoy....but commenting on what you said about not knowing much about computer, you want to pay attention the memory, Hard Drive, speed, and the intel processor for PCs....for me a computer/laptop with 16 GB of memory is good to have more is awesome. a Hard drive of 1 TB or 2 TB is good more is awesome....the speed can be like 2,4 anything higher is good, and you would want the very latest intel cored processor..and eternal memory drive would be good to......you can get a computer like thee specs i mentioned from Dell like 1,000 and up at Dell (com) or any store that sale Dell computers....

Yep, I know nothing about computers. I like my Desktop, all in one. NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1024MB. Says its a 1 TB SATA Disk, 906.2 GB free of 999.03 GB. It contains 2 memory slots, each accepts a 1600 MHz DDR3 memory module (each slot is 4GB each) Processor is 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5. Hope this carries me thru my Sims, because I don't plan on getting another one (my daughter got me this one). I would have never spent the money on a computer, but she did ;) I was really missing my HP though. Never really had a problem with it. It was a 1TB also. I just hope this one last me till the end of my time :p Not sure how to tell the speed, but it works good, so I am happy! Thanks for giving me the info, do you think this computer will last thru the Sims?
  • Options
    ThePoeticPreacherThePoeticPreacher Posts: 531 Member
    I would say if evey
    sinnyonce wrote: »
    1. never played 1, 2, and 3 so not sure what to answer. after getting a laptop of my own two years ago, i decided to start sims 4. i guess my answer is no...?
    2. i wouldn't buy a new computer...i didn't buy a new laptop even though i wanted to play overwatch..definitely wouldn't get a new one for sims
    3. i think it's logical enough. i wouldn't have a bought the sims 4 because the desktop at home would have exploded. getting a new laptop that barely matches the specs was the push for me to buy the game. so no, it's not foolish at all. your answer to this question sure reflects how privileged and ignorant you are.

I would say if everyone was privileged didn't it would be easy to get up and buy a new desktop/laptop for the Sims game. Seems like the technology is changing every year so haven't the same computer for 5 years might be convenient for a person but their could be so much one is missing out on with newer system. But i would say even the less privileged at least in America if they have a good credit score you can get credit with a computer company like but a expensive computer on credit and pay the minumum amount monthly,and you can also add more if you want to pay it off quickly bout time you pay it off 2 or 3 might have passed and you can always get a new one when it comes...I mean in these days if it's not 16 GB of memory and 2TB or more of Hard Drive then i don't want it
    pO5uos8.jpg
  • Options
    ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    I have no problem affording anything and everything and I have a high end computer, a Lenovo Erazer gaming computer and all the games are running great on it, I played sims2 two nights ago, sims 3 last night and will play sims 4 today. I do not think, however, that is the reason why the development team is not making expansions. I do think if people want to get the most out of the games, they need a good desktop gaming computer and the investment is well worth it. It was the best decision I ever made.
    As far as what is lacking in Sims 4 and the reasons for it, I am completely nonplussed. It is not making sense to me at all.
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Everybody needs a release from the real world.I think it's EA is culprit not the PC.If they spent more time testing and less time with investors then folks wouldn't need a high end PC.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I'll just say that I'm saving for a computer to play TS3 on ultra settings. Take what you want from that.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited December 2016
    Yes, I would get a new computer for the game, but I would wait until I can afford to do so.

Basically, if I can't afford to upgrade the computer, or had already bought a new computer recently and don't want to deal with the hassle of upgrading the graphics card, then I would just have to live without that game. Simple.

If I can't afford the computer or graphics card, then I don't buy said game and play other games instead.

I have console systems, and most games are multi-platform, so I would usually get the console version. I also have handheld systems, so that is another alternative. I also love playing with less intense indie or casual PC games.

I had to skip Sims 3 throughout most of its lifespan for various reasons, and tech was one of them.

I can skip another sims iteration if it gets too computer-intensive like that again. :wink:

However, I feel that sims games should progress with the tech, so even if I am not buying it, then the game should suit the advanced tech for the audience that have the advanced tech (and properly optimized and programmed for the range to a certain extent).

Anyway, I am not an exclusive sims player. I have other interests and other games, so if I can't afford the tech, then I will buy other games my current tech can handle or use other systems.
    Post edited by LatinaBunny on
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited December 2016
    1. I've already done it to replace one of my computers for playing TS3. It's a refurbished iMac, 1400 €, almost 2 months of income. 1900 € if I bought it new.

2. It depends on how much money I have saved. It also depends on the purpose and use. I wouldn't spend 3000 € to play the Sims on ultra settings if I can play on medium-high for half the price. But I might decide to spend that much if that means a much more powerful machine for volunteer computing, for example. I'm the kind of person who saves as much money as possible, but I'm ready to buy an good multi-purpose computer because I find it important.

3. Games such as TS3 are demanding. If I want to enjoy it fully, I need to spend some money. If I can't spend the money, then I won't buy it. And it's not even that much money. If I didn't want a Mac, I could have bought a decent gaming PC for half the price of my iMac. I deeply regret that important features such as the open world have been sacrificed to allow what originally was excellent games to run on 10-year-old computers that are already reaching the end of their life anyway. It saddens me.
  • Options
    ClaimingTheFifthClaimingTheFifth Posts: 417 Member
    I think that here's the mistake we're assuming that EA made: the assumption that the youth (to whom EA tries to appeal, i.e. excessive partying, potty humor, woohoo) have no money. Who are they kidding?? Look at what they spend on clothing, ripped jeans, iphones.... Indeed, they ARE the ones with the spendable money. I think THAT'S why the game is so juvenile. They may say that they're trying to make the game accessible to all... but their cheapness can not be for the young who supposedly don't have the money....EA is just being CHEAP. :p That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! =)
    That light at the end of the tunnel? It's a train.
    The five-second rule does not apply when you have a two-second dog.
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    Any computer that I own will always be able to handle any game that I want to play. It will be upgraded, as needed, or replaced. However, I do have a set limit that I'm willing to pay so I'm not ever going to go out and buy a $5,000 system just to run a game.

I totally understand that there is a time in everyone's life when other things take priority over gaming rigs - kids, college, repairs, etc. Real life always comes first. Games come and go and computers can be replaced, but family can't.

I don't think that there can ever be a "perfect" game. Developers can test until their fingers fall off and their brains are numb but it's not until a game ships and people start playing that all the little (or big) flaws and foibles will be uncovered.

I don't know if the OP's definition of the perfect Sims game is the same as mine. TS1 I'd like to see the return of the Mime or Drew Carey if your party was a failure or success. I saw the Mime more often. Would every Sims player want that? Probably not.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Ive never seen the point in getting a bottom range PC, unless you use it for wordprocessing only.

So, to the questions.

My first PC ran ts1... sort of, with all the packs it laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagged.
    My second PC was built for gaming, it ran TS2 with little trouble.
    My third PC was built to be able to handle TS3, and did... until IP.
    My current PC was not built for gaming, its a hand me down, originally built for photo editing and general use. I've added my graphics card from my previous PC, and so far, it handles TS4 without any trouble.

I'd spend up to $1200 AU.
    And it'd be a custom build.
    But I wouldn't want to spend more than that, just on parts.
    My previous PC cost me half that, and as I said, it ran TS3 pretty well.

The sims games need to be able to run on a range of different computers, not everyone has a lot of money they can spend just for a bit of entertainment, especially if the sims is the only game they play.
    That said, I've got no problem with it requireing a better family PC, or a lower end gaming machine. It's a nice middle ground. If you want to run TS5. Get yourself a new PC. You'll have it for the duration of the game.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    MaeraMaera Posts: 1,575 Member
    I have been a computer gaming for almost 30 years, so upgrading my computer is nothing new to me. I'm always willing to spend money on upgrades, although because I have real life responsibilities and a family to support sometimes that means I can't have it "right now" and I have to wait awhile to play the newest games. So yes if the Sims 4 had been so cutting edge that my system required updating I would have done so.

A gaming computer doesn't have to break your wallet either. For what people spend on sub-par store bought systems you can easily build yourself a good gaming rig. Buy your parts online, piece by piece when sales hit. There are also people (think craig's list or kijiji here in Canada etc) & some computer shops that will put it together for you for around $100 if it's really something you're not comfortable with or don't have the time to learn. I did my last system this way over the course of 3 months and ended up spending under $600 for a game that runs all current games on Ultra. I do need a bit more ram now just to be ahead of the curve, but other than that I should be fine for quite awhile. So I guess I'm willing to spend on upgrades as needed. I've spent more keeping up with my son's consoles (and don't get me started on the cost of those games) than I've spent on my own system in the same time period.

I don't think any gaming company should be holding back on the quality of their games out of fear that people don't have good enough equipment to run the games. I realize that gaming companies want/need their games to run on a variety of systems, but EA seems to take it to extremes. Supporting slightly older systems is one thing...designing a game to run on toaster/dinosaur systems is quite another.