Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimLit Celebrations and Discussions

Comments

• ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    Jes2G wrote: »
    :o Alice & Kev! <3

Excellent suggestion! <3
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    So I took a peek at the post, and:

I'm actually still amazed and glad readers like that chapter.
    I was worried that since I'm not a middle-aged father of two, I wouldn't get the tone right (and it was mostly for Father's Day, a holiday I tend to fret over constantly)
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    @Jes2G Alice & Kev was the first Sims story I read. I hold it dear in my heart. :)
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    @Jes2G Alice & Kev was the first Sims story I read. I hold it dear in my heart. :)

It was my first too! I had never heard of people writing stories with the game until then. I’ll have to go to your site and see what you said about it. :)
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
    OH! I wrote a short story about adoption once! Wanna see? :)

http://www.jes2gstories.com/welcome-home/
    forum_final.png

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    rednenemon wrote: »
    So I took a peek at the post, and:

I'm actually still amazed and glad readers like that chapter.
    I was worried that since I'm not a middle-aged father of two, I wouldn't get the tone right (and it was mostly for Father's Day, a holiday I tend to fret over constantly)

It was super beautiful. The way you write Dennis really made him come alive for me.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    @AdamsEve1231 So cool! Thanks for the shout-out! I'll see if I can think of stories to mention in regards to your Month of... ideas!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    edited November 2016

@Jes2G I read your short story! It was beautiful! :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

@Jes2G I read your short story! It was beautiful! :)

Thank you! :D
    forum_final.png

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Hi everyone, I have a new SimLit celebration post out - this week celebrating random November holidays and monthly celebrations. You can read it here.

I feature the following writers just so you are aware:

@friendsfan367 the Benders
    @rednenemon Racket-Rotter Chronicles
    @InfraGreen Eight Cicadas
    Kate -Loewe Legacy
    @CathyTea - Thirty Sims at Three Rivers
    @CreamierThanMami - Journey of a Thousand Steps
    LauraEliza - Zahra's Babies
    Robin - Alice and Kev
    @Simcraft81 - O'Raj's Journal

This week I wanted to start discussion on stories based on random November holidays and monthly celebrations... SimLit that includes:
    • adults (or even older children/teens) helping a child learn safety and protection to celebrate Child Safety and Protection Month
    • adoption/foster children to celebrate Adoption Awareness Month
    • caregivers of any kind (elder care, child care, care of those with special needs, etc) to celebrate Caregivers Appreciation Month
    • favorite "sleeping" moments to celebrate National Sleep Comfort Month
    • favorite peanut-butter moments to celebrate National Peanut Butter Lovers Month

Share your favorites below!

thank you. i don't talk abut those 2 chapters a lot because its not something i would do but it came from noels fear not from anger.

thank you. i don't talk abut those 2 chapters a lot because its not something i would do but it came from noels fear not from anger.
    I would be fearful too. I totally understand.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    For Adoption Awareness Month, I'd like to give three cheers (make it four!) to @cshaner 's Orphan Challenge: The Harkins Family.

And, as a special reason to celebrate, this story was completed today!

I loved reading it so much. The family is endearing, the drama is compelling, and we get to see real growth and development among the characters. Plus, it includes many of my favorite pre-mades from Windenburg.

We're celebrating it this week in "It's Done!," so please swing on by to join the celebration!

edited December 2016
    Thanks @CathyTea, @Jes2G, @CitizenErased14, and @Maladi777 for the stories they shared this past week!

SimLit Celebration #4

Since we were talking about Alice & Kev recently on my blog and also on here, I would love to discuss firsts with everyone.

What were some of the first SimLit stories you read? If applicable, How did they inspire you to write also?

Also firsts for the writers...
    What was it like when you first started writing SimLit? Were you nervous, excited, hesitant, hopeful, etc? If you could go back, what advice would you give yourself (and newbie writers)?

This Week's Mentioned Stories:
    Alice and Kev
    @Rorygilmore34's Legacies of the Sims
    Nenpysims' Legacy
    @Munterbacon's Ironbound
    Jfed142's Simhaven Legacy
    @Carewren123's Wren's Nest
    GreenLady555's The Gravity of Being Green
    Rageinthemachine's Dominion and Metamorphosis
    @InfraGreen's Eight Cicadas
    Post edited by AdamsEve1231 on

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    What were some of the first SimLit stories you read? If applicable, How did they inspire you to write also?
    The first I ever read was @Rorygilmore34 's Legacies of the Sims :) It was my first experience with SimLit, and made me realize "Okay, wow. Other people use their sims to tell stories... but they also write them down?! Cool!" :lol: I started writing Dust to Dust like a week or two later :)

What was it like when you first started writing SimLit? Were you nervous, excited, hesitant, hopeful, etc? If you could go back, what advice would you give yourself (and newbie writers)?
    I was extremely nervous because I had absolutely NO idea what I was doing. I also had poked around and saw that the majority of stories seemed to be game-based, so I feared my plot-driven story would be weird or out of place and no one would read it. But I kept remembering that the first SimLit I read was also plot-based, so that helped remind me that it was "okay" haha.

I'd go back and tell myself "calm down and have fun!" :) (That's advice I could still use today, actually :joy:)
    snvAF3B.png
    The first I ever read was @Rorygilmore34 's Legacies of the Sims :) It was my first experience with SimLit, and made me realize "Okay, wow. Other people use their sims to tell stories... but they also write them down?! Cool!" :lol: I started writing Dust to Dust like a week or two later :)

I was extremely nervous because I had absolutely NO idea what I was doing. I also had poked around and saw that the majority of stories seemed to be game-based, so I feared my plot-driven story would be weird or out of place and no one would read it. But I kept remembering that the first SimLit I read was also plot-based, so that helped remind me that it was "okay" haha.

I'd go back and tell myself "calm down and have fun!" :) (That's advice I could still use today, actually :joy:)

i do tell you calm down. lol.
    The first SimLit story I ever read was Alice and Kev. I didn’t even know people did that with the game. I played in a silo back then and only visited the forums when I needed help lol. It was such a wonderful little story, I was inspired to create my own homeless Sim and play through Alice’s challenge. Only, my Sim’s challenges were worse because Alice and Kev was written before Seasons came out! My poor frozen Sim LOL. Anyway, I briefly considered writing a story, but I didn’t feel it was necessary because Alice and Kev was so good and I didn’t feel I could do better. That was the end of my SimLit experience until TS4 came out! Some kind of way I got it in my head to do a legacy challenge. I had heard of them in the latter part of my TS3 days, but it seemed too hard and restrictive for me. When TS4 came out, I decided to check it out, and somehow it didn’t seem so bad anymore. The ONLY reason I decided to write a story was to keep myself interested in the challenge because I knew I would get tired of it and quit. I guess I was a bit naive, being a fan of writing and all. I didn’t factor in falling in love with storytelling in this way, and voila!

When I first starting writing Pruett Family Legacy, I guess I’ll say I was excited. It was new, and I had no idea what was going to happen or how long it would actually take. It took me 17 months and 5 days to do, so if I could go back and give myself advice, I would say, “You’re going to be at this for at least a year and a half…no need to rush! Slow down and don’t put pressure on yourself.”
    forum_final.png

• MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member

The first SimLit story I read was on Tumblr, and was an amazing Sci-Fi story by Nenpysims. Do yourself a favour and check it out when you get a chance, the link I provided takes you to the start of the story.

I was fresh out of writing 50k words during NaNo for my fantasy novel, but I was kind of stuck, so while reading this story I decided to try and "Reverse Engineer" a world set in the same world as my fantasy novel, just thousands of years in the future. With that spark of inspiration, Ironbound was born. It's also worth noting that Nakaia's race was a creation of Nenpy, and I was able to use her in my story with her permission.

All of the above? I wasn't all that confident in my own writing at the time, so I was kind of terrified to hit the publish button. But you cannot learn to fly without first falling, so I took a deep breath and hit the publish button anyway. I was expecting instant results, either people would love it or hate it, but I got nothing... But here's the thing I would tell myself and newbie writers, patience. The notes/likes/comments will come if you continue to write with passion. If you believe in your story, if you believe in the world and the characters that you have created, just keep writing and the note/likes and comments will come.

dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
    I was expecting instant results, either people would love it or hate it, but I got nothing... But here's the thing I would tell myself and newbie writers, patience. The notes/likes/comments will come if you continue to write with passion. If you believe in your story, if you believe in the world and the characters that you have created, just keep writing and the note/likes and comments will come.

I remember when I discovered Ironbound... I think you were already something like 30 chapters into it? I was BLOWN AWAY!

Oh, what a happy summer I had when I read a few chapters of Ironbound every morning! It really helped me through a difficult time--I'd wake up out-of-sorts, focus by making breakfast, playing piano, and drinking coffee, then read a few chapters of Ironbound and get completely pulled into the world, and then, my mind would be working in harmony, and the rest of the day would go so smoothly!

That was a real treat for me and a treasured reading memory!

• MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    I was expecting instant results, either people would love it or hate it, but I got nothing... But here's the thing I would tell myself and newbie writers, patience. The notes/likes/comments will come if you continue to write with passion. If you believe in your story, if you believe in the world and the characters that you have created, just keep writing and the note/likes and comments will come.

I remember when I discovered Ironbound... I think you were already something like 30 chapters into it? I was BLOWN AWAY!

Oh, what a happy summer I had when I read a few chapters of Ironbound every morning! It really helped me through a difficult time--I'd wake up out-of-sorts, focus by making breakfast, playing piano, and drinking coffee, then read a few chapters of Ironbound and get completely pulled into the world, and then, my mind would be working in harmony, and the rest of the day would go so smoothly!

Awww! Thank you for the kind words! :joy:

I am kind of in that difficult time now, all out-of-sorts. I want to get back to that place, where I feel that sense of harmony myself, work just destroys me and I need a change. I hope that with a new job (a desk job) I can find myself (my creative self) again and give Ironbound and my other stories the justice that they deserve.
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)

Awww! Thank you for the kind words! :joy:

I am kind of in that difficult time now, all out-of-sorts. I want to get back to that place, where I feel that sense of harmony myself, work just destroys me and I need a change. I hope that with a new job (a desk job) I can find myself (my creative self) again and give Ironbound and my other stories the justice that they deserve.

or you could have jes curse you.that worked for me. til tonight i spent a month writing angry and sad now i have writers block lol.
    I hope so, too, Munter! Your creativity deserves to be nurtured through a stimulating and supportive environment!

edited November 2016
    I hope so, too, Munter! Your creativity deserves to be nurtured through a stimulating and supportive environment!

how does that work. my kindle isnt charged so i came back

i like how supportive we are here. i have a few people outside the game reading my blog but they never read the whole thing just certain posts and then the commentsaren't related to the story. so i love that people here read it.

okay whining over, sorry.
  • ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    I used to read a bunch of stories on the old TS2 story exchange. I can't remember which one was the very first one, but the first one that got me into sim stories was Jfed142's Simhaven Legacy (archived here if you look for Jfed in the list). I loved the idea of reading other's stories instantly, since I always saw the game as a storytelling device - the ease of finding them all on TS2 story exchange was fantastic. I spent many happy days reading through the stories in the album form :)

One thing that I remember about my favourite TS2 stories is that they were all hilarious. I remember that influencing me when I first started writing simlit myself, I was striving for humour. Not sure when that changed! Also, all of the TS2 stories I loved were legacy stories that strayed from the rules at least a bit - can definitely see an influence there! :D
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    edited November 2016
    I'm enjoying hearing how people started this journey!

First simlit story I read was Care Wren's apocalypse challenge Wren's Nest. I love that story! She's a builder and that's what I was first on the boards. I used to participate in the builders challenges in Sims 3 and that translated into doing the same thing for sims 4. She advertised her story over there and it opened a whole new world to me. Being a writer, I took to it naturally. I must confess writing simlit is way easier than building. I'm not very good at it even though it's my first sim creative love. I don't have time to build now but I'm fine with that.

I was confused how to approach writing simlit. I started with a builders story but that fizzled quickly. I didn't like the characters. Then I did a straight legacy, but again, there's not enough drama for me to sink my teeth into. Once I started the Amazon challenge, I was hooked. That challenge had so much drama built in that it carried me for a long time.

My advice? Write what you love. That's the only way to keep going. And don't worry about readers. Please yourself first. That's what happened with Day & Knight. Its story themes are controversial and not everyone will embrace what I'm writing about. But I didn't care. The story had to be written. It's my least popular story even though it's gaining momentum. I know it's because some readers are put off by the content but it's been the most rewarding story for me to write since I started. That's what will drive you to keep a story going. Your passion.
    iTvMKZ8.jpg