Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Might possibly be the end of the sims for my mac... (vent post )

Welp...it seems i've hit a wall...tried everything under the sun to get the game going. even tried downloading a new driver only for it to tell me that my mac is out of date ( which i did, update it to El Capitan 10.11.6) and OS X Sierra I heard can cause a kernal crash. I'm out of options. Not to mention that I can't play the sims 3 for some mysterious reason even after trying to fix it.

It disheartening that I've been going through so man issues trying to get the sims to work in general wether it's origin or the games in general and downloading all of these. :/ i personally think origin is a part of the problem as far as the sims 3 is concerned. Not needing discs seems like a good idea and kinda is but a lot of issues can come of it. Anyways...I guess this is it as far as playing the sims on my mac. I can try and see if i can borrow my sisters laptop ( a PC ). ( though that would mean i cant play it as much as i wold like since 2 people are already using that laptop ) it's just my luck when it comes to mac and sims. always issues left and right.

It's been a good run, unfortunately these problems "conviently" occured right before Sims City Life arrives.

*shrug* I guess it's time to raise the white flag on this one :/
"Be Happy, Stay Happy"-Lee Jooheon ( Stan Monsta X )
tumblr_n5dk7cOnt91qbvmm2o1_500.gif

Comments

• Dayvon64Dayvon64 Posts: 493 Member
    Aww, I hope you find a way to get it to work again!
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    The sims 3 does not do so well on Mac. Have you tried to bootcamp windows? . I would move the thread to TS3 Mac http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/mac-discussions

or ask @igazor , @BluebellFlora or @Tremayne4260
  • Skr0alaSkr0ala Posts: 286 Member
    yeah i've talked with igazor quite a bit and has been very helpful tho i still cat get it to work. and downloading all of these things like maunally installing NVIDIA and now windows bootcamp just has me pretty nervous abut downloading all this 3rd party programs to get the sims to work. thinking about saving up for a PC... cause sims + Mac = not a good experience :(. Heck I even miss playing the sims 2 and i dont even know that that will work with a mac lol!!

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    Help can be provided with the TS3 issues on the board mentioned. From what I have read, not everyone gets the kernel panic issues on Sierra, but I have no first-hand experience with that one. Others do and know what to do about it.

But I have to agree that TS3 for Mac is the problem child in this series. If Bootcamp and running Windows on your Mac is at all feasible, that really is a better way to go -- depends on your Mac's specs (those look fine to me from another thread although with 4 GB a little tight on RAM) and whether you have the available drive space and patience to support two operating systems. The purchase of a retail, standalone copy of Windows is required, presumably 8.1 or 10 now, but the Windows versions of the games you already have registered should be available to you on Origin for Windows should you wish to pursue this.

I've been playing TS3 on my Win 7 Bootcamped late 2011 iMac for years now and have no intention of stopping. Graphics card drivers are not as much of an issue on the Windows side, the notification to update them has to come from Apple though as there are special versions for Bootcamped Macs.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I am sorry to hear about your problem I had the same issue when I first downloaded El Capitan they said it was my graphic's card so I finally after many months played around withe graphic setting and finally I am able to play. It is not perfect I had to reduce my level a bit but at least now I can play a bit. I had the same problems with Sims 3 after downloading El Capitan they told me not to use the disc and to play from origin I can play but my game does crash from time to time. I am not getting a new computer just for the Sims really I think EA should fix it somehow if they want us to buy it.
  • thebigmermaidthebigmermaid Posts: 9 New Member
    Hey there!
    Have you tried removing your mods folder onto your desktop and putting it back?
    And also, Macs outside of the 15 in Pro Retina with max storage are known for their tiny amount of storage and RAM.
    Running out of room can easily cause your game to run slow!
    Maybe try a clean-up of all the things you don't need :)
    Best of luck, I too have struggled with Sims on Mac, and it wasn't until I got their best Macbook that the game works at all with expansions installed.
    tried everything, playing it with mod's without mods entirely. my mac is a 2012 15 inch macbook pro with an i7 processor.

• Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    The question is how much RAM do you have and what exactly is your problem? TS2 is available through the App Store and granted doesn't have all of the expansions that were released for the Windows version, but I can tell you that it runs perfectly.

In regards to TS3, are you trying to run the all of the EPs and SPs because to be honest MacBooks are not gaming computers. And TS3 is pretty memory intensive as well. At least on a Mac.

With TS4, you again need enough RAM (8 GB minimum) to run more than the base game.

Just some suggestions. :)
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Skr0ala wrote: »
    tried everything, playing it with mod's without mods entirely. my mac is a 2012 15 inch macbook pro with an i7 processor.

I also have a 2012 15" MacBook Pro. Mine's non-retina with NVIDIA GeForce 650M GT 1Gb, 2.6 Ghz i7. The game runs great. Do you have the same model but with the 2.3 Ghz i7 and NVIDIA GeForce 650M GT 512 Mb? Because if so then the issue is the Apple/NVIDIA driver built into the OS. You'll need to download it manually from NVIDIA's site. BUT.... Whereas the drivers worked great for me in El Capitan, the Sierra ones have caused kernel panics so I've had to revert back to Apple's. I'm not alone either, a quick Google search will bring up loads of posts saying the same thing. NVIDIA need to sort it out but don't seem to be in any rush to :(
    apple-signature.png
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    I've started experiencing regular kernel panic issues since Yosemite. I don't recognize OS X any longer.
    Now I have a BootCamp partition especially for the Sims. The game runs perfectly on it.
    Candyd wrote: »
    I've started experiencing regular kernel panic issues since Yosemite. I don't recognize OS X any longer.
    Now I have a BootCamp partition especially for the Sims. The game runs perfectly on it.

What's causing the kernel panics?

apple-signature.png
    I think i might have 8 gigs, it says 4 GB installed and then says " Your Mac contains 2 memory slots, each of which accepts
    a 1600 MHz DDR3 memory module." :open_mouth:

• Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    edited November 2016
    Skr0ala wrote: »
    I think i might have 8 gigs, it says 4 GB installed and then says " Your Mac contains 2 memory slots, each of which accepts
    a 1600 MHz DDR3 memory module." :open_mouth:

If it says that you have 4GB installed, then you have exactly that - 4 GB. 4 is 4. 4 does not mean 8. If you had 8, the computer would tell you 8. ;) The fact that it contains two slots just means that there are two slots on the motherboard in which you can put RAM - it does NOT mean that you actually have two RAM sticks installed.

If you KNOW for sure that you manually added RAM and the total is 8GB, but it's only showing 4, then one of the RAM sticks is no longer working and needs to be replaced.
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
    edited November 2016

@BluebellFlora Not enough RAM, I think. Since Yosemite I've always had issues with that, no matter how much memory I have installed, and a large variety of bugs too. It happened extremely rarely with Mavericks, and I had never seen a kernel panic before. I had to replace my Mac but the problem still persists, not quite as often but it's still there. Now I'm condemned to reset PRAM, not often but still from time to time (which solves the problem for a while). I clean cache all the time. I always keep an eye on Activity Monitor. I also use almost exclusively lightweight and customizable applications outside of Apple ones, and I keep very few of them open at any given time. Even when everything is kept clean, it's relatively slow. Much slower than on Mavericks at least.
    Honestly I wonder if 8 GB is enough with El Capitan. I plan to upgrade to 16 GB soon.
    My specs (the 2.9 GHz one)
    All the more reason i need to switch to a PC :neutral: : :s

@BluebellFlora Not enough RAM, I think. Since Yosemite I've always had issues with that, no matter how much memory I have installed, and a large variety of bugs too. It happened extremely rarely with Mavericks, and I had never seen a kernel panic before. I had to replace my Mac but the problem still persists, not quite as often but it's still there. Now I'm condemned to reset PRAM, not often but still from time to time (which solves the problem for a while). I clean cache all the time. I always keep an eye on Activity Monitor. I also use almost exclusively lightweight and customizable applications outside of Apple ones, and I keep very few of them open at any given time. Even when everything is kept clean, it's relatively slow. Much slower than on Mavericks at least.
    Honestly I wonder if 8 GB is enough with El Capitan. I plan to upgrade to 16 GB soon.
    My specs (the 2.9 GHz one)

Not having enough RAM wouldn't cause a kernel panic but having a faulty RAM chip might. You do have enough RAM as the OS will constantly adjust memory management for the Apps you're using. Has your Mac ever beeped three times on startup? Have you run the Diagnostic tool?

If you're near an Apple Store you could book a Genius Bar appointment and have them run AST over your machine :)

apple-signature.png
    None of my Macs beeped 3 times, I didn't use the diagnostic tool (I currently have 3 of them and similar problem). But I called Apple Support and also sent one of them to aftersales (I have no Apple Store in the area but the store is a specialized Apple reseller). Apple Support told me to reset PRAM and it worked, but not eternally, sadly.
    What's strange is that my Macs seem to run out of memory. Once it's all used, the computer gets very slow (almost as if it was freezing, but not quite) and if I do nothing, something will eventually crash. An application, or worse...
    Anyway I'll stop here because I don't want to pollute Skr0ala's thread :smile:
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2016
    None of my Macs beeped 3 times, I didn't use the diagnostic tool (I currently have 3 of them and similar problem). But I called Apple Support and also sent one of them to aftersales (I have no Apple Store in the area but the store is a specialized Apple reseller). Apple Support told me to reset PRAM and it worked, but not eternally, sadly.
    What's strange is that my Macs seem to run out of memory. Once it's all used, the computer gets very slow (almost as if it was freezing, but not quite) and if I do nothing, something will eventually crash. An application, or worse...
    Anyway I'll stop here because I don't want to pollute Skr0ala's thread :smile:
    This might not be any help but the only time my Mac ever ran out of memory (not really sims related, sorry) and behaved like that was when encountering websites with poorly formed flash ads that would cause either FF or Safari and the Flash plug-in to each run away with 3 GB or more and keep going. Haven't seen those lately, but AdBlock type browser extensions certainly help. Of course if I had really been running TS3 for Mac or something equally as intensive at the same time, the game session would also have turned into garbage.

Late 2011 iMac, 8 GB, an older but still capable AMD graphics card, still holding onto El Capitan but it works fine on 8 GB for me with plenty to spare as did Yosemite before it.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    I clean my RAM all the time even when not playing Sims 3. And yes, I do it for Sims 4 as well. Helps both games run much better.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.