Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

RAM and City

My imac already has Get to Work and the base game on it, but I want to get City Living too, so how much RAM would I need to be able to use all three on my computer?

Here are the specs:

Mac 20-inch, Early 2009

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Comments

• oopsdaiesoopsdaies Posts: 37 Member
    (discussion title wasn't finished lol)
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    You'd need to upgrade to more RAM. If you only have 2GB the game will struggle to run the extra data. Are you sure you only have 2GB of RAM?
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • sutivirus12sutivirus12 Posts: 110 Member
    According to Apple, your iMac can be upgraded to 8GB of RAM. If you can upgrade it yourself, that would be the best.
    thesims4galleryhousessignature_zps7u25o7vp.png
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Your NVIDIA graphics are also going to struggle but you only have 2Gb RAM? I'm amazed you can play at all at the moment, especially as the minimum is 4Gb. What version of macOS are you running?
    apple-signature.png
  • oopsdaiesoopsdaies Posts: 37 Member
    @Tremayne4260 Yes I'm positive. (when I first downloaded sims 4 I didn't know too much about computers so thats why I'm playing with so little RAM)

@sutivirus12 So 8GB of RAM would be recommended to play with City Living and Get to Work?

@BluebellFlora I haven't had too much trouble with graphics, but if I start having trouble I'll see what I can do :)

Version 10.9.5

• ParkPark Posts: 625 Member
    Actually, 2 gb was the "minimum" for the base game, when it went to market with "4" being the "recommended" size. However, I rather suspect that when one installs additional content, such as the expansion packs, game packs or what-have-you, those minimum and recommended figures are bound to advance upwards a tick.
  • Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    edited November 2016
    Also note that your graphics card WILL struggle in the San Myshuno world if you intend to have the settings turned up. The "recommended" card is a GTX 650, which is on average about 600% better than your 9400. (Comparison here and here)

Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
    Park wrote: »
    Actually, 2 gb was the "minimum" for the base game, when it went to market with "4" being the "recommended" size. However, I rather suspect that when one installs additional content, such as the expansion packs, game packs or what-have-you, those minimum and recommended figures are bound to advance upwards a tick.

2Gb was the minimum for Windows, 4Gb for Mac.

@oopsdaies you won't be able to do anything about your NVIDIA graphics apart from lower your in game graphics options to the lowest possible, you cannot upgrade the graphics card. I suspect that you're managing to play because your Mac is running Mavericks, not El Capitan or Sierra which use more RAM. 4Gb should be the minimum you go up to, 8Gb preferably.

apple-signature.png
  • ParkPark Posts: 625 Member
    Oh I see. So unused to dealing with Macs that I failed to note the difference, and I had forgotten that the Mac version of the game came out later.

Don't mind me, carry on and good luck.
    Park wrote: »
    Oh I see. So unused to dealing with Macs that I failed to note the difference, and I had forgotten that the Mac version of the game came out later.

Don't mind me, carry on and good luck.

Yes, there are a lot of differences between Macs and Windows PCs. I never touch a Windows thread, I barely know how to turn one on (unless it's installed on my Mac ;) ).

apple-signature.png