Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    @paneinger - love all the paintings throughout! :)
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #181 **Uptown Elegance**

NAME: iampes23

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8987132

LINK TO MEDIA: http://s97.photobucket.com/user/iampes23/slideshow/BnS 181

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: (not entering) http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8987131

LEVEL: intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: placed lot in SV, 20x15, $118,494

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Modern elegance with a few industrial touches. Plenty of outdoor space to enjoy! Cars and motorbike not included in build or price of build, but they may be in some of the pics since the family had moved in.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: no

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: none
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    @iampes23 Great house! I love the Porte-Cochere you built for the vehicles. I wish I had thought of that- I didn't have enough money anyway (lol) but I also didn't think of it. Nice touch!
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    CHALLENGE #181 IS NOW CLOSED.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    Challenge 182 For Your Amusement

You are up to your elbows in blueprints at your drafting table when Rose bursts into your office, slamming the door and throwing her body against it. She’s breathing hard. Her eyes are wide and panicked.

“Rose! What happened? What’s the matter?”

“I...I…there’s someone...outside...just standing there…” The hairs 🐸🐸🐸🐸 on the back of your neck.

“Okay, Rose,” you say, grasping her arms to help her focus. “What else did you see?” Rose hesitates and then her words come out in a whisper.

“I think it’s a CLOWN.” You relax slightly, because as long as you have known Rose, she has been a caulrophobic.

“All right, Rose. Why don’t you stay here while I go take care of this.” She nods and shudders, but moves away from the door. “Just shut the door behind me. It’s going to be fine.” You give her arm one last reassuring squeeze and then head into the reception area where you stop cold.

He’s there on the front walk, eerily illuminated by a single streetlamp. His skin is chalky white, unnatural, and his face bears the unmistakeable makeup of a clown. He is standing completely still, just staring at you through the glass front door. A chill runs up your spine. You give yourself a mental shake, square your shoulders, and then open the door.

“Can I help you, sir?” you ask, hoping he can’t hear the quaver in your voice. No response. “Sir. Do you need something?” Then slowly he comes toward you. As he approaches you see his face more clearly. His makeup is sloppy, with black streaks of mascara running down his cheeks to a red gash of a mouth. When he smiles at you, it is gruesome and you cannot help but shudder slightly.

“Is this you?” He rasps, handing you a business card you hadn’t realized he was holding. You take the card, noting his dirty, too-long fingernails. You glance down to see the firm’s business card with your name embossed on it.

“It is. Who are you?”

“I am called Jangles.”

“All right, Mr. Jangles. What can I do for you?”

“It’s just Jangles. Perhaps I could come inside so we could discuss it.”

“Mr...ah...Jangles, we are just closing up for the night. Why don’t you tell me briefly what it is you need, and then we can set up an appointment time for you.” During daylight hours, you think to yourself.

“I would like for you to build me a funhouse.”

“A funhouse? That’s an unusual request.”

“I find the activities at the Fall Festival to be lacking and pedestrian. As a clown and magician by trade, I would like to offer the townspeople an alternative for fright and delight all year round.”

“That sounds intriguing, Jangles. I’d be happy to help you. Why don’t you take this card and call me in the morning so we can schedule an appropriate time to go over the details.”

“I look forward to it. Good night.” With that, Jangles skulks away into the shadows and you lock the door behind him with a satisfying click.

The Brief:

**Build a funhouse with games, twists and turns, and spooky surprises
    **Community lot in the town of your choice, no larger than 40x40
    **Unlimited budget
    **Include bathrooms and some way for the public to eat (food stands, grill, buffet table, etc.)
    **Create a space for Jangles to perform magic tricks

Optional:
    Create Jangles with the traits of your choice. Show him and the public using the new space.

Deadline: Monday, October 31st, 2016, Midnight CST
    GArBA5W.jpg
    I like this new challenge! I think it it's going to fun!
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    edited October 2016
    I really like all the townhouse/brownstones!! Everyone did a smashing job on them. :)

I watched the videos @iampes23 posted and I think I know how to do the walk down basement now. Thanks so much :)

OMG!!! The new challenge story gave me the shivers :anguished:
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    Glad I could help!! And I agree, everyone's house this time is smashing!
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    Oh this looks like a really interesting challenge, I look forward to seeing what people come up with. I don't know if I will be able to get my game working in time to try to build something myself but hopefully I can.
    ATTENTION INTERMEDIATE ENTRANTS FOR CHALLENGE #181 UPTOWN ELEGANCE:
    Your results can be viewed here.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • paneingerpaneinger Posts: 214 Member
    Thought you all might get a kick out of this...So, I really liked the townhouse idea and decided to expand upon it. Basically I just made the lot wider and added three more townhouse units that I'm working on decorating. I moved in a tester family and was having the mom go around and update everything while the kids checked out the kid-friendly bits. On the very last item that needed upgrading, mom gets electrocuted and dies. Immediately after, as the kids and Grimmy are having a water balloon fight, the fireplaces all start catching on fire (mom had the fireproof homestead trait because I use a ton of fireplaces in my build). Since I always play with the fireproof homestead, I don't use smoke detectors and ended up trying to get the kids to stop screaming at the fire long enough to call the fire dept. Grimmy puts out one fire, then a little window pops up saying that he wants a sandwich, and he disappears. And right before the kids burst into flames, the social worker arrives and I'm booted out to pick a new family to play. I'm starting to think this lot just isn't meant to be lol

Screenshot-529_zpsk63k0doe.jpg

Screenshot-535_zpsxodugawc.jpg
    @paneinger Ha ha ha! I love that story and your town houses look great drawn out in a row like that!
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    @paneinger - LOL too funny!!! Yeah, I guess the game is trying to tell you something...
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • ISHTARJMDISHTARJMD Posts: 260 Member
    Advanced results for #181 Uptown Elegance are now up!
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Thank you for the lovely feedback! I actually just went back and looked at that pattern - no idea what I was thinking! Haha! I hope to join the challenge after this one; clowns give me the heebie-jeebies!
    Congrats to Aricarai and Paneinger! Thanks for the feedback as well and yes there were several times I thought the nanny's apartment was going a "little" (A LOT) over the top but then I was just like, hey she rides a bicycle made out of candy- she just rolls LIKE THAT. LOL I'm nearly done with the Fun House Challenge. Maybe up by tomorrow. Tonight I'm taking my son to a RL Fall Festival that won't be nearly as fun as the one we're all creating, I'm sure, but enjoyable none the less! Congrats again you guys!

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM: #182 For Your Amusement

NAME: TonySterling

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9002365

LINK TO MEDIA: https://www.facebook.com/MyWorldofSims/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1078376338944456

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A

LEVEL: Advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 40X40, Custom Address, Since the budget was unlimited I didn't keep track of the total before play testing but it was most likely around $525,000- uploaded cost, $471,039

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: See Below

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED:None

This is the Fall Festival Fun House- I started this build with a back story in my head and memories of a “haunted house” from when I was a kid. It was the typical house that was in a state of decay with a yard that had long overrun it and, of course, it was inhabited by a menacing, old man who you just knew buried children in his backyard. We would walk a block out of the way to avoid passing it after school in the afternoon. Eventually the man died and someone in town turned his residence into an actual haunted house at Halloween, that’s how known the story was among children in the town where I lived- ha! So I thought along the same lines here.

The house, though brightly colored now and meant for fun is the subject of local lore involving a young, widowed, mother who finds a new suitor one day and re-weds. The suitor is a responsible, young man of means who is as in love with being a father to the woman’s toddler son as he is with being a husband to the mother- who loves only herself with a jealous eye. The young son is in love with the gnome and the fairy living in his back yard (as they are with him)- a proposition the mother despises as she assures him that gnomes do not move and fairies do not exist. The new father encourages the son however to follow his imagination- to the mother’s further anger. In the end one of the three is brutally murdered. I’ve left a few clues through-out the pictures on the build as to who died, who was responsible and how it happened. Although, maybe not enough clues or well enough done, I’m a builder not a mystery writer-lol.

There are three areas of the build connected to the past occupants.

The first is the Dark Maze- representing the mother’s obsession with herself as it is full of mirrors and eventually leads to a room with dark magic books and the enchanted mirror for companionship. The glass doors on the second floor leads an elevator to the roof with the bright joy of ascending skyward in the hot air balloon. One note on this attraction: I had originally planned and built a typical mirrored maze, brightly lit but the large number of mirrors caused graphical issues throughout the lot. I removed many of them and the lights and turned it into the Dark Maze where coming around the corner and seeing your own reflection is the fright.

The second is the Tea Garden maze, representing the father and the whimsy and wonder that the toddler sees him as. There are a few dark notes in the maze. Eventually the maze leads to the ultimate flight of fancy- the Flying Broom Arena.

The Back Yard is the domain of the child with toys designed for younger kids. You can see the small fairy garden here and the gnome who were the original child inhabitant’s friends. Maybe a snow cone for the warmer days and place for your parents to rest while you play.

The Spook House leads the visitor through the dark night of the past when murder happened and a legacy to frighten children in the future was born. The journey begins in the living room hung with pictures recovered from the attic of the house itself. You pass onward into a realm of walls leaking blood to find the hall down the middle blocked with spider webs. The dining room is to the right (careful of the coffin) and the library to the left (you might find the fireplace still smokes a bit). Which was should you chose. An elevator in the back will carry you to the second floor, a gremlin inside is known to trip you up a bit. You have another choice up there- go through the nursery or through the Lady’s Parlor, site of two weddings and one funeral. Either way conjures demons, at the start or at the end.

Hurry along through the quiet empty bedchamber and ultimately exit through the crypt (never mind the eyes looking from underneath it) and at last freedom.

After that enjoy something a little lighter in the arcade full of your favorite games, gum, popcorn and cotton candy! The al fresco restaurant is in the back with table service for a full meal OR maybe you’d prefer dropping inside for more delightful treats like ice cream, chocolate fountains, and fried candy bars.
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @JasonAnthonySterling Awesome job!!! Great use of those silly trees and nice job with the fog emitters, spooky :o

I won't get mine done, I tried to do a Hall of Mirrors and a maze but things just didn't work out. See you on the next challenge :)
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    @JasonAnthonySterling - looks awesome!! Love the mazes :)
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
    Thanks @Kgaff and @FaithofKaela. I finally was able to put some stuff like the Broom Arena and the Hot Air Balloon to work- lol! I really liked using the special effects emitters in the Spooky House- it definitely helped the effect. Kgaff- my hall of mirrors had to be radically changed- the graphical interference was huge- even with the change it's not entirely perfect and occasionally a mirror pops through the wall but it's pretty good. If you ever get it done you should post it anyway- I bet people would love to see it.
  • chrischris8894chrischris8894 Posts: 371 Member
    I have my entry but I'm having a heck of a time uploading the pictures...
    21a63a76613ef59a6ab875e93d138b7c.gif
  • chrischris8894chrischris8894 Posts: 371 Member
    edited November 2016
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM: #182 For Your Amusement

NAME: Chrischris8894

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9003525

LINK TO MEDIA: http://s460.photobucket.com/user/chrischris8894/library/Build-n-Share 182?sort=3&page=1

Password: Clowningaround

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: in pictures

LEVEL: Advanced

LOT SIZE: placed lot in Moonlight Falls

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Come one come all to a spooky scare house that is sure to chill your bones. Once you get thorough that colorful maze everything seems wonderful through the arcade, but if you dare to walk through the garden of statues, you may just find the passage to the graveyard & maybe even to treasure? Try your luck inside Mr. Jangle’s house of mystery & scares!
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: None
    Post edited by chrischris8894 on
    21a63a76613ef59a6ab875e93d138b7c.gif
  • linzlulubelllinzlulubell Posts: 93 Member
    Hi everyone! Can't wait to get started with BNS again! I've been on a hiatus due to pregnancy, tried to compete in the castle challenge but went into labor on the 16th of August half way through the challenge and was unable to finish. Leaving my job to be a stay at home mom so I'll have more time to participate! Get that new challenge up so I can get started!!
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    My build got away from me and didn't work out for the challenge, maybe I can do one soon. Congratulations on the new baby Linzlulubell!
  • linzlulubelllinzlulubell Posts: 93 Member
    Thank you! She's just perfect!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top