Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fan Hyper-working

After the recent update, my iMac's fan always got very loud whenever I enter TS4. It would sometimes before, but now it cracks up all the time.
Would it damage the computer itself?

Comments

• Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    It could. Check to make sure that you do not have anything blocking any vents.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    It could. Check to make sure that you do not have anything blocking any vents.

Hum, my computer is on a location with decent circulation. The fan does not ventilate as loud when I use other performance-heavy tasks (e.g., graphic designing), and it definitely did not before the October patch (well, it did ventilate louder in TS4 than other apps, but not as loud as it gets now).
  • Options
    Lunder89Lunder89 Posts: 155 Member
    I don't have an idea as to why the fan suddenly spins up. But about it being dangerous, NO. The fans task is to keep the computer cool, and if it can't, Macs are smart enough to limit the output performance to a point where it can be cooled.

But what iMac do you have? Specs?
  • Options
    Lunder89 wrote: »

iMac Retina 5K, late 2014 model
    w/
    Intel Core i5
    8 gigs memory (DDR3)
    AMD R9 M290X
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    It's a good thing, it's cooling itself down so it doesn't overheat. If you're concerned try lowering your graphics settings in game.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    YouGotJunoYouGotJuno Posts: 48 Member
    I don't own an iMac but I do own an old-ish macbook pro so I hope this helps, while it's normal for the fan to work overtime while playing the sims you should probably check if your fan is dusty and clean it with those canned airs or a sliiightly damp towel, dust buildup usually makes the fan work less efficient if it makes any sense >.<
  • Options
    Lunder89Lunder89 Posts: 155 Member
    Lunder89 wrote: »

iMac Retina 5K, late 2014 model
    w/
    Intel Core i5
    8 gigs memory (DDR3)
    AMD R9 M290X

Nice setup.
    If you set your settings to a resolution of 1920x1080 (no retina, since it kills the performance easily), all the settings to the left, set them to high, and very high where possible.

On the right side, set edge smoothing to medium, the next two settings to High. The 1st and 3rd checkbox unchecked, and the middle one checked.

Try that. Those are the settings I am using on the 2015 5k iMac.

On a side note. The R9 M290X has so much performance, it actually gets throttled in performance, the fan inside the iMac is not able to spin fast enough to keep it cool, when it is performing at 100%. So after 5 min. or so, it will slow down. Sad fact, but fact :(
  • Options
    Thanks @BluebellFlora , @YouGotJuno , and @Lunder89 for your inputs! I'll try them next time I enter the game.
    Many thanks again :)