March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So this fits in CL theme & that doesn't ?

Comments

• LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited September 2016
    I wonder if the celebrities and bands/singers stuff could come in a future Showtime-like pack or something like Sims 1's Superstar EP? That'd be cool. :smiley:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited September 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Frustrated with what? People not agreeing with your opinion and not liking your view, or the devs view? Part of life.

I wanted a proper City EP, not the case, not interested.

Frustrated with previous Sims games' intrepretations of cities, especially Sims 3. This time, for me, so far this feels like a proper City EP. And I say that because, as a city-dweller, it reflects to me the actual more-average person's experience of living in a city.

For the record, there are 8 festivals in my city this weekend. Not counting indoor ones. Oh. Also not counting the one my husband ran across when he walked out shopping this morning - it's not on the list I just checked.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    lovejess2 wrote: »
    It really matters on how well those features are done. If they are like Sims 3 then plum to the no (except vampires) I'd rather not have them but if they are done very well and some of them are optional then yes. Tbh I think bowling alleys and cinemas could be better off on another pack they would just feel out of place.
    I did not care for any of the life states in Sims 3 but I was glad it was an option to play with them but it should be an option maybe not at this time but hopefully in the future if there are no limitations to prevent them from making an appearance. :)

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    As someone who lives downtown in a Very Big City (over 4 million), I would say that a lot of those things don't fit in a "City Living" pack for me.

Derivable cars & garages

Nope. Most people who live in the inner city don't drive much if at all. In my son's inner-city high school, only one of his whole extended friend group learned to drive. One. (My son is learning to drive in his 20s, now that he lives in a smaller town -- but they live in a downtown apartment there, too, and don't own a car.) I live in a rowhouse; we don't have a garage. Many of our neighbours have no parking at all. Many don't own cars. Cars are a great fit for a suburban or rural pack. Urban transportation is feet, bicycles, and public transit, if you don't live so far downtown that it's all full by the time it gets to you. (Yes, there are cars: they come from the suburbs. I'm a transportation nerd. I read research on that stuff for fun.)

New Life State "Vampires"

Unless the pack is about nightlife, and yet again ignores that cities are not actually all about nightlife but have vibrant daytime life, I don't see the connection. I prefer the game design choice to put in a broader range of urban life. I think there's a lot more interesting vampire lore they could draw on if they don't stuff vamps into big cities.

Bands

Sure. They could have done that. They've done it before. Maybe they'll do bands this time in a context that allows them to be more front and centre in development.

Cinemas

Meh. Sure, they could have, but they seem to have chosen things that our Sims do more actively, not passively. I'm okay with having karaoke (and a singing skill!) and basketball but not cinemas. Maybe they could do cinemas in a dating-focused pack.

Bowling Alleys

There's one bowling alley left in the inner city here. It's basically a nightclub with a few bowling lanes. All the other ones closed years ago. The nearest bowling alley is an hour-long trip on transit. Bowling alleys are a smaller-town feature, not a city one. Unless your whole view on cities is from 1970s sitcoms set in 1950s cities.

Celebrity System

Meh. I'm tired of that urban stereotype. I'd rather see that done in a separate pack with bands and movie-making and new entertainment careers, where it could be properly fleshed out and not make the city seem like it's nothing but fame and nightlife. Anyone who lives in a city knows that cities aren't really that. Much more of the time, cities are where celebrities can avoid attention. I live in a city where a lot of TV and movies are filmed. You pretty much glance at someone and maybe remember to say later in the day that such-and-such was at the vegetable store when you were, or the coffee shop (<-- true stories from my life).

Attraction system

Meh. There's no more "attraction" in a city than anywhere else. Would be a nice fit for a dating/wedding-focused pack.

Acting / Singer career

Meh. See my comments on bands and celebrity. I think these things would be much more fully developed if they weren't squashed into a city pack. And then they wouldn't be substituting for the fuller life that cities have.

If I sound a little frustrated, it's because I am. What they've put into this pack is city life. Festivals, basketball, graffiti art, a range of cultures living together - that stuff belongs here. The politics career is a welcome return, and a good fit for a "big" city: it's more often big cities that have regional/national government, not just small town stuff. The art critic career is a natural city fit. (Not so sure about social media, but okay.) I got really tired of city life being caricatured as all about nightlife and fame and fortune, and of that stuff being there when there was so much else that could have been done that felt like it would flesh out the city more.
    I know it is not NYC because it is more than 10 Million up from eight where even landfills are prime estate :)

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2016

Frustrated with what? People not agreeing with your opinion and not liking your view, or the devs view? Part of life.

Frustrated with previous Sims games' intrepretations of cities, especially Sims 3. This time, for me, so far this one actually feels like a "proper City EP." And I say that because, as a city-dweller, to me it reflects the actual more-average person's experience of living in a city.

Well I'm frustrated with this one. Loved Late Night and Apartment Life. As a city lover it feels nothing like a real city, but an Into the Future wannabe utopian boring place.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    In America lot of cities have cars, infact that most of the transportation
  • Dramatic-GamerDramatic-Gamer Posts: 713 Member
    So people who says "I live in a city or I've been to one" and don't think that cars should be in this pack , You're trying to tell me that those cities don't have roads for cars ? there are no people driving cars in it ? all people there take trains / bikes etc ... ?
    cmon now , let's be real
    Youtube_Banner_2017.jpg
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited September 2016

Frustrated with previous Sims games' intrepretations of cities, especially Sims 3. This time, for me, so far this one actually feels like a "proper City EP." And I say that because, as a city-dweller, to me it reflects the actual more-average person's experience of living in a city.

Well I'm frustrated with this one. Loved Late Night and Apartment Life. As a city lover it feels nothing like a real city, but an Into the Future wannabe utopian boring place.

I guess we'll just have to beg to differ, then. I've lived in the inner city for most of the last 30 years. So far, this pack feels like living in the city does.

2009 US Census data on workers who live and work in the same principal city (not metro area - so, this is the data once you exclude suburbs): 42.5% public transport, 13.0 percent walking, 34.4 car (including carpooling), 19.4 other (includes cycling). Also, 3 times the proportion of renters as owners take public transportation (national stat, not city-limited). The proportions for driving are higher outside cities than in them. Car ownership stats also show higher rates of car ownership outside cities than in them.

Yes, there are car drivers and owners in cities. But people living in cities drive less and own fewer cars than people not in cities. So if you're going to add cars (and especially garages - apartment buildings don't have those), a city pack isn't your best fit, IMO.

What I'd personally like to see for cars is a Game Pack where cars are the main feature, so you end up with a lot more gameplay instead of just commuting. Sims 2 had fun car gameplay. I'd want cars I can do stuff in and with, and squeezing them into an EP as just one of many features wouldn't do that. This pack that was surveyed would also be fun: "On the Road: Get behind the wheel of different vehicles, including cars, trucks and motorcycles. Fix up old cars, build a hotrod or jump on your ride and explore a number of tourist destinations." Or maybe this one, but I'm a bit less a fan of it: "Sport cars, motorcycles, and road bikes will get your Sims where they want to go with speed and style!  Race against other Sims on unique streets to win upgrade parts, prizes, and unique vehicles or just hang out at the street party." I'd like to see a pack like this also include bicycling and skateboarding, including recreationally.

@Dramatic-Gamer What I'm trying to say is that yes, there are cars, but they're not a factor in the lives of the residents of inner cities to the degree they are in the lives of the residents in suburbs and rural areas. They're scenery that gets in the way, more often than not. The people in them are largely not the people living in the city. This pack appears to be about living in the inner city. The data I gave above isn't even inner-city data. When you start drilling the data down to inner cities, car travel drops off even further.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

I guess we'll just have to beg to differ, then. I've lived in the inner city for most of the last 30 years. So far, this pack feels like living in the city does.

2009 US Census data on workers who live and work in the same principal city (not metro area - so, this is the data once you exclude suburbs): 42.5% public transport, 13.0 percent walking, 34.4 car (including carpooling), 19.4 other (includes cycling). Also, 3 times the proportion of renters as owners take public transportation (national stat, not city-limited). The proportions for driving are higher outside cities than in them. Car ownership stats also show higher rates of car ownership outside cities than in them.

Yes, there are car drivers and owners in cities. But people living in cities drive less and own fewer cars than people not in cities. So if you're going to add cars (and especially garages - apartment buildings don't have those), a city pack isn't your best fit, IMO.

W
    @Dramatic-Gamer What I'm trying to say is that yes, there are cars, but they're not a factor in the lives of the residents of inner cities to the degree they are in the lives of the residents in suburbs and rural areas. They're scenery that gets in the way, more often than not. The people in them are largely not the people living in the city.
    Um no , let me explain. Your right there less people driving cars . But that dosen't mean there not lot of cars in the city . Most of the city, is crowded with a lot of cars . Sure there busses, but most them are cars . I live near a city , most o the transpotation is cars . Threy have taxiis, busses, but most are cars .
    Actually I look up the census , your data is not correct . From the report
    (There were notable differences
    in mode choice between workers
    residing in the suburbs and those
    living in the city (see Table 2).
    Suburban workers (those who lived
    in a metropolitan area and outside
    of a principal city) drove alone at
    a rate of 81.5 percent, compared
    with 72.1 percent for workers
    who lived inside of a principal city.
    Respondents who lived inside of
    a principal city in a metro area
    walked to work at a rate of 4.4 percent,
    higher than that of workers)
    So why there is slight increase in walking to work for cities . Most of them still drive .
  • Sweet_ItalySweet_Italy Posts: 898 Member

W
    @Dramatic-Gamer What I'm trying to say is that yes, there are cars, but they're not a factor in the lives of the residents of inner cities to the degree they are in the lives of the residents in suburbs and rural areas. They're scenery that gets in the way, more often than not. The people in them are largely not the people living in the city.
    Um no , let me explain. Your right there less people driving cars . But that dosen't mean there not lot of cars in the city . Most of the city, is crowded with a lot of cars . Sure there busses, but most them are cars . I live near a city , most o the transpotation is cars . Threy have taxiis, busses, but most are cars .

Right, but as @luthienrising pointed out, owning a car isn't common for people *living* in the city. And as the title of the pack, City Living, suggests... This pack is more focused on the aspects of living in the city, not just visiting or being in the city. And the stats just don't support owning cars while living in the city.

This is not to say I wouldn't like cars, because I do, but owning cars just doesn't quite fit with the theme of City Living.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Twitch: Sweet_Italy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gallery: Sweet_Italy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Check out my Showcase Thread!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Also the percentage of people who uses transportation.

People who live in the city 10 %
    People who live near the city 3.9
    people outside 1.2 %

The reason we don't have cars in the pack . Because in Sims 4 base we don't have cars . If we did , we would probably had taxi s , buses, and food trucks . Features that are in the average city , with new cars also .
  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    I just like the fact it's a different interpretation of a city as opposed to the same old same old that's been done in this game before.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited September 2016
    Maybe we can hope for drive-able cars for some weird future Diesel/Fast Lane pack? (Lol)

Pleeease, devs? :smiley: For the people who want sims to drive cars. We gotta have cars...someday.

I would love the Generations teaching teens to drive interaction as well. Gosh, Sims 3 had so much interesting stuff, now that I think of it. :smile:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    to be honest I don't like the "Cultural mixture" of this expansion pack & would've loved to see it in a world travel kind of pack instead.

I think they should have a cultural mix in every Pack, this game isn't exclusively about American fashion and living.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • NellythekiddNellythekidd Posts: 251 Member
    I just like the fact it's a different interpretation of a city as opposed to the same old same old that's been done in this game before.

Me too! The list of things suggested is ok to me, but much of the items from it are from TS3 Late Night (vampires, bands, celebrity system, acting career, cinema-TS3 rabbithole) and TS2 Nightlife (cars, bowling alleys, vampires, attraction system) so it wouldn't feel new to me especially if combined in this way. But when looking at the list, I started to think about different possibilities and different packs they could be a part of this time round! I've been hoping for a pack similar to TS1 Superstar since TS1 ended, so I'm hoping for a pack that combines all celebrity stuff+working bands (instead of splitting celebrity system and celebrity careers into 2 different packs like TS3 or not getting anything like it at all, like TS2) Here's hoping! :)
    Origin ID / Gallery: nellythekidd
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,826 Member
    As someone who lives downtown in a Very Big City (over 4 million), I would say that a lot of those things don't fit in a "City Living" pack for me.

Derivable cars & garages

Nope. Most people who live in the inner city don't drive much if at all. In my son's inner-city high school, only one of his whole extended friend group learned to drive. One. (My son is learning to drive in his 20s, now that he lives in a smaller town -- but they live in a downtown apartment there, too, and don't own a car.) I live in a rowhouse; we don't have a garage. Many of our neighbours have no parking at all. Many don't own cars. Cars are a great fit for a suburban or rural pack. Urban transportation is feet, bicycles, and public transit, if you don't live so far downtown that it's all full by the time it gets to you. (Yes, there are cars: they come from the suburbs. I'm a transportation nerd. I read research on that stuff for fun.)

Unless the pack is about nightlife, and yet again ignores that cities are not actually all about nightlife but have vibrant daytime life, I don't see the connection. I prefer the game design choice to put in a broader range of urban life. I think there's a lot more interesting vampire lore they could draw on if they don't stuff vamps into big cities.

Bands

Sure. They could have done that. They've done it before. Maybe they'll do bands this time in a context that allows them to be more front and centre in development.

Cinemas

Meh. Sure, they could have, but they seem to have chosen things that our Sims do more actively, not passively. I'm okay with having karaoke (and a singing skill!) and basketball but not cinemas. Maybe they could do cinemas in a dating-focused pack.

Bowling Alleys

There's one bowling alley left in the inner city here. It's basically a nightclub with a few bowling lanes. All the other ones closed years ago. The nearest bowling alley is an hour-long trip on transit. Bowling alleys are a smaller-town feature, not a city one. Unless your whole view on cities is from 1970s sitcoms set in 1950s cities.

Celebrity System

Meh. I'm tired of that urban stereotype. I'd rather see that done in a separate pack with bands and movie-making and new entertainment careers, where it could be properly fleshed out and not make the city seem like it's nothing but fame and nightlife. Anyone who lives in a city knows that cities aren't really that. Much more of the time, cities are where celebrities can avoid attention. I live in a city where a lot of TV and movies are filmed. You pretty much glance at someone and maybe remember to say later in the day that such-and-such was at the vegetable store when you were, or the coffee shop (<-- true stories from my life).

Attraction system

Meh. There's no more "attraction" in a city than anywhere else. Would be a nice fit for a dating/wedding-focused pack.

Acting / Singer career

Meh. See my comments on bands and celebrity. I think these things would be much more fully developed if they weren't squashed into a city pack. And then they wouldn't be substituting for the fuller life that cities have.

If I sound a little frustrated, it's because I am. What they've put into this pack is city life. Festivals, basketball, graffiti art, a range of cultures living together - that stuff belongs here. The politics career is a welcome return, and a good fit for a "big" city: it's more often big cities that have regional/national government, not just small town stuff. The art critic career is a natural city fit. (Not so sure about social media, but okay.) I got really tired of city life being caricatured as all about nightlife and fame and fortune, and of that stuff being there when there was so much else that could have been done that felt like it would flesh out the city more.

I mostly agree with this. Except my big city has quite a few bowling alleys. I would have love if they were included in this pack but I wasn't expecting them
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I live in LA CA so I see cars being driven all over the place I wanted to see buses and taxis even if they were decore because they too are in a city.
  • lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    I really don't want another art-deco city since we've already had that before in late night so it's good that Maxis decided to change it around and finally do a modern take of a city. I live in Brisbane, Australia and the city is mostly modern and very similar to the art district with a good mix of nature and modern design thrown in there so this is the first time in a Sims game where I actually feel that a city represents the one I live in.
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    edited September 2016

W

Right, but as @luthienrising pointed out, owning a car isn't common for people *living* in the city. And as the title of the pack, City Living, suggests... This pack is more focused on the aspects of living in the city, not just visiting or being in the city. And the stats just don't support owning cars while living in the city.

This is not to say I wouldn't like cars, because I do, but owning cars just doesn't quite fit with the theme of City Living.

That's it.

People are stuck with the idea of seeing cars in the city, and well, we'll see cars there too, we are simply not having one this time, as it isn't needed (it was on Sims 3 for obvious reasons and in Sims 2 for they had to visit this distant downtown parting from the suburbs) and not a thing a person living right there in the middle of the gray jungle would commonly have.
    I would very much love having a great transportation game pack now. Where we could have cars, motorcycles and bikes with actual gameplay, maybe taxis and buses instead of rabbit holes in the edge of the neighbourhoods, even some new fx related to that. It would be great.

As for the others like vampires, bands, celebrities, attraction, I also don't see these stuff attached with living in a big city (I don't live in one but I formally study them). Cinemas would be nice? Of course, but yet it would sound like an add-on in this pack. Bowling alleys aren't an usual thing in cities around the world at all, you people need to understand this is a worldwide game now, you can't expect everything within the radius of 1 kilometer from specifically where you live, wherever it is, to be just like that in the game too. That's not from where the world spins around.

Now, for people complaining about the cultural aspect of the city, I just can't take you seriously, you're either naïve and have yet a lot to learn about a metropolis or are just close-minded.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Dramatic-GamerDramatic-Gamer Posts: 713 Member

W

Now, for people complaining about the cultural aspect of the city, I just can't take you seriously, you're either naïve and have yet a lot to learn about a metropolis or are just close-minded.

That was a personal attack towards me actually , just because You study "cities" or whatever You do & that You're interested in mixed cultures doesn't give You the right to say what You just said ! I personally don't like the idea of cultural mixture because I'll simply never use that content in my game ; I live in the middle east & we have a very different cultural clothes and style than the americans but personally I don't want to see any middle eastren style in the game & even if that was there I won't use it.
    this is my opinion & this is the way I like to play my game , calling me naive & closed minded just because I don't like that idea is simply ignorant & I feel really disrespected.
    Youtube_Banner_2017.jpg
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member

W

That was a personal attack towards me actually , just because You study "cities" or whatever You do & that You're interested in mixed cultures doesn't give You the right to say what You just said ! I personally don't like the idea of cultural mixture because I'll simply never use that content in my game ; I live in the middle east & we have a very different cultural clothes and style than the americans but personally I don't want to see any middle eastren style in the game & even if that was there I won't use it.
    this is my opinion & this is the way I like to play my game , calling me naive & closed minded just because I don't like that idea is simply ignorant & I feel really disrespected.

Well, let's see what you said:
    to be honest I don't like the "Cultural mixture" of this expansion pack & would've loved to see it in a world travel kind of pack instead.

You only exposed that you don't like this "cultural mixture", you let it totally open for interpretation, so yeah, I had the right, I'm sorry. The fact you don't think you may have a lot to learn for not being happy with the cultural mixture testifies that. We gotta make our arguments clear when we talk about other's people representation, no matter where we are or what we study. You feel disrespected for relating to what I said about being naïve or close-minded (we all are a tad of both) and I think the same for seeing you complaining about having this in the game when some people might rightfully feel disrespected for not having this in their game.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • HannieHannie Posts: 608 Member

Derivable cars & garages

Bands

Cinemas

Bowling Alleys

Celebrity System

Attraction system

Acting / Singer career

Wait, what? You live in a city with over 4 million people? :open_mouth: That's like my whole country! :lol:

Sorry, off-topic. Got a bit shocked!

• cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited September 2016

W

Yes your opinion :)

Just curious, but which part of the Middle East if you don't mind me asking? It's interesting that you don't want Middle Eastern culture in the game because you're pretty much playing with European culture.