Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question on moving EA folder

Hi!

I have a designated external hard-drive for The Sims 4, and have installed all expansions etc. on it. But the Electronic Arts folder is in my Documents in Finder, so it is in the computer harddrive, and it is taking up ALOT of space.

Is there any way I can just move this folder to the external hard-drive without causing any trouble with the game?

Thanks for any help! :smile:

Comments

• Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    As far as I know, the game is hard-coded to always have the Electronic Arts folder in Documents. I've seen people move their entire Documents folder to an external drive, but otherwise, no, I don't think that you can move just the "Electronic Arts" folder by itself.
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Lunder89Lunder89 Posts: 155 Member
    The EA Games folder can not be moved. And moving the entire documents folder involves commands in the terminal. I would not recommend this course of action.
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited October 2016
    I don't think there's a way to save your Electronic Arts folder outside your Documents folder. Whatever hard drive or SSD that Windows or OS X/macOS is installed in, the game will always save there regardless where the game is installed (e.g., another hard drive).

On Windows, I believe you can use symbolic links to have the game save to other drives such as as another hard drive or a USB Flash Drive so I guess that could also be done.
    Post edited by WinMacSims3 on
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    You could always install another copy of OS X /macOS on an external drive and install the whole game on that. So when you want to play you would boot into the external drive instead of your Mac's usual startup disk (usually the internal drive). A bit extreme but very possible. Startup would be slower but the game would be playable and everything would be in one place, plus it avoids any possible conflicts with other 3rd party software installed on your Mac (such as screenshot/recording software and the cheat console) as you are effectively only using your Mac's hardware and screen - the Mac will be running it's 'brain' from the external drive.
    apple-signature.png