Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simulation Tech Talk

Comments

• rosehrtgirlrosehrtgirl Posts: 252 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    DOLLDRMS1 wrote: »

Sims need to use their hands while socializing, that's why they are unable to do so while fishing, for example.

Must it be that way? Even just chatting? I mean I often gesture with my hands when I talk, but I can avoid doing so while using my hands for some other task.

Couldn't they just turn their head to the side or nod their head instead of using their hands as if they are having a conversation with each other.

Possibly, but then you'd miss out on some of the interactions that require very animated content. We could individually tag which socials work with fishing, and which don't. If we had to go do that for every other interaction in the game, that's all we'd do. So, we tend to make "all in or all out" decisions regarding multi-tasking. In the end, while it might be upsetting that we didn't get to make Sims fishing and chatting, we got to spend that time making some other really cool stuff.

Interesting, to learn how multitasking works with socials thanks for taking the time to explain it appreciate it. So the only way to my understanding to make it feasible so sims to get social while fishing would be to make a new animated social like fish together similar to the social watch clouds together. Which would make it a non multitasking social, but still look like multitasking.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited September 2016
    lakme wrote: »
    Is there any way that the game could someday have playable Sims assume roles typically fulfilled by townies? I'm thinking waiter, host, yoga instructor, etc.

I'm interested in this too. I'm even more interested in if it's possible within the game structure to assign non-played Sims to NPC roles. Plus I'm wondering why some keep their jobs when I move them into houses (bartenders, chefs, massage therapists...) but others lose them or don't fulfill them (critics, mailmen, fishermen...).

I've got a thread about this in the Ideas Corner - Manage Neighbourhood Options I would be curious to know from @SimGuruEugi whether any of the ideas proposed in that thread were possible, but for me the most important would be the ability to assign our own Sims as NPCs. This worked very well in TS2:OFB with Retail; I'd love it if my Libarians, Postal Workers, Reflexologists, Maids, etc. could have rabbit hole 9-5 jobs and could be seen doing their job around town, with custom uniforms (like the Club outfits or Dine Out employee system).
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    There actually seems to be something iffy about the townie generation...I've noticed the longer I play a file the more "single mom" houeholds I get. These households always have a mother and teen daughter of the same race and then a child son of a completely different race. I usually wouldn't care but after an extended time my worlds end up having very little diversity cause of it.

We're aware of the single mom issue and looking into it :)

@SimGuruEugi - Are you also aware that whenever a Sim tries to adopt, the game generates a single mom household (with no genetic resemblance) for each prospective adoptee? Then the newly generated family from which you choose to adopt a Sim becomes a single woman household. I have never had a single father household generated, or any other kind of household, and there is never any genetic resemblance between the mother and child. It's a very odd system and really puts me off adopting in the game because I feel like I'm taking a child from its mother and/or leaving a bunch of mothers who put their kids up for adoption but didn't find a new home for the kids, leaving the kids with mothers who didn't want them. :( Adoption has never worked this way in the Sims before so I'm really mystified as to why this new mechanic was introduced.
  • SimGuruEugiSimGuruEugi Posts: 503 SimGuru
    Terra wrote: »

@SimGuruEugi - Are you also aware that whenever a Sim tries to adopt, the game generates a single mom household (with no genetic resemblance) for each prospective adoptee? Then the newly generated family from which you choose to adopt a Sim becomes a single woman household. I have never had a single father household generated, or any other kind of household, and there is never any genetic resemblance between the mother and child. It's a very odd system and really puts me off adopting in the game because I feel like I'm taking a child from its mother and/or leaving a bunch of mothers who put their kids up for adoption but didn't find a new home for the kids, leaving the kids with mothers who didn't want them. :( Adoption has never worked this way in the Sims before so I'm really mystified as to why this new mechanic was introduced.

That is going to be fixed in an upcoming patch!

• sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited September 2016
    To any SimGuru, I was wondering if you guys thought of how big a single build grid tile was in the game. And if you guys have, can you share with us how big a single build grid tile is in meters or feet?
  • egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    Curiosity, when was the adoption pool dialed back from 12 to 9 (ish?) selection choices?

If I plan to do an adoption, I trigger it first, then cancel it to look at the choices to see who's the best for my family to adopt. (Show Sim Info mod is STELLAR here!)

Another thing, are these "families" supposed to hang around after a completed adoption, or not? They *always* have, here, but I think it was @luthienrising who said they went away in her game? I've never seen that happen here.

I usually "head canon" my adoption households that the women bringing them to my town are just Foster Moms, not related. It helps that during the adoption process, the kid and "mom" forget each other totally, as part of the changing family ties to finalize the adoption, I guess.

Between SSI and MC Command Center (the two best mods for Sims4 *ever* IMO!),
    I don't miss much about my sims (general info level, at least). I know *something* about all 127 sims in my current hood, even the Hidden ones (Jasmine, PT, detective suspects/criminals, etc).

BTW, why *IS* Jasmine hanging around? I figured she would've left after the event, not hang out clogging a spot. ?

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Another thing, are these "families" supposed to hang around after a completed adoption, or not? They *always* have, here, but I think it was @luthienrising who said they went away in her game? I've never seen that happen here.

My recollection is that around game launch they went away, then at some point they stopped. The first recollection might have been me misremembering.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

My recollection is that around game launch they went away, then at some point they stopped. The first recollection might have been me misremembering.

:o

You can DO that? (Got you on a pedestal here, Luth, y'know that, right?) <3

LOL!

It doesn't REALLY matter that they behave a little differently now, but I admit I *am* interested in the 12 > less shift (when/why, nerd level stuff, sure).
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

:o

You can DO that? (Got you on a pedestal here, Luth, y'know that, right?) <3

LOL!

It doesn't REALLY matter that they behave a little differently now, but I admit I *am* interested in the 12 > less shift (when/why, nerd level stuff, sure).

Shhh! Don't tell anyone. It's our secret.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Is it possible to add sunken floors to the game where the edge of the floor would act as a single or double stair step only wouldn't block its own placement at the corners?
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    I was just looking at some candelabras in the game a moment ago, and it occur to me that there are no single candlesticks with a single candle in it to speak of in the game. Why is that, why is there very few or no single candlesticks with a single candle in it in the game?
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    I did not read all 47 pages, But I will ask this just in case it was not asked, are the Babies ever going to Not be just Objects in their Cradles? Meaning is My Sim parents ever going to be able to push the Babies in strollers or put in swings and such? just curious, or even be able to put different clothes on them as well?

I never rule anything out :)
    I kind of dislike how the babies' clothes are strictly tied to their gender. I'll bring it up to the designers and see what we can do about that! :)

Awesome, Thank you much appreciated.
  • lotarylotary Posts: 111 Member
    I have a question regarding painting easels. Is it possible to change them into portable objects? I always think they should be portable so Sims can paint landscape on the park or anywhere outside the house. We have portable bars so why not for painting easels :)
    Origin ID: lotary00
  • Mikado-chanMikado-chan Posts: 108 Member
    Another adoption question: Why taken away children are deleted? Can't they be moved to some kind of orphanage with the possibility to adopt them by another family?
  • SimGuruMegsSimGuruMegs Posts: 242 SimGuru
    Hi @SimGuruEugi !!

Firstly, thanks for regularly contributing to this thread. I definitely think it means a lot to people.

Now to my topic. I have been playing around with the clubs system and I've been trying to add the popcorn machine to the "watch movies" club rule, but I haven't had any success. When adding new things to club rules, do *all* Svalue and Nvalues of the popcorn machine need to be added to the club rule? So far I've only tried adding the recipe crafting values that (I think) refer to the Sim initially starting the popcorn crafting process, but these don't seem to work as there is no green thumbs up on the popcorn maker and Sims still won't use it autonomously during a club gathering. I hope you can help here.

Speaking of the "watch movies" club rule, it's currently, for the most part, broken. See the bug report I posted yesterday below. There's an issue with autonomous "watch current movie" and "watch movie together", where only one sim can watch movie at a time. Other Sims in the group will attempt to watch the movie, but the autonomous interaction cancels immediately.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/OPEN-Broken-Group-Club-Watch-Movie-Interactions/m-p/5548864#M28359

Thanks again.

Jumping in since I'm familiar with setting up club rules. So for club rules, you need to add the interaction that you want to give the green thumbs up to. In the popcorn machine's case, it would be popcornPopper_StartRecipes. Crafting interactions are very special and you actually need a separate interaction in order to craft autonomously. Unfortunately, the popcorn popper doesn't have an autonomous crafting interaction.

We'll look into the bug with the watch movies rule!

Thanks so much for getting back to me! I'll do what you suggested.

Is there any reason why the popcorn machine has no autonomy, but the ice cream machine does? What kind of decisions are made when deciding if an object has autonomy or not? Quite honestly, I think the more autonomy the better. It makes the game more unpredictable and fun to watch :)

The answer is a bit complicated, it has to do with the way Sims autonomously choose to do actions. So Sims autonomously choose to do actions based on motives they want to solve. In the case of the popcorn machine, the motive that is solved is Hunger. Except, with the popcorn machine, the Sim starts the machine to make the popcorn, but there is no interaction that "holds" the Sim in the popcorn making interaction. That means if the Sim starts the machine to solve their Hunger motive, their Hunger motive is not actually being immediately fulfilled by making the popcorn. Which means they could immediately go do another Hunger-motive solving interaction (like cooking.) This isn't very good autonomy behavior for the Sim, so they decided not to make an autonomous version of popcorn making.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @SimGuruMegs
    Interesting ! Do you know why the ice cream machine had a different behavior with Sims staying interacting with the ice cream machine until it's ready (and sadly can't multitask while they wait). Why do ice creams need Sims supervision, but popcorn don't ? :smiley:
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    @SimGuruMegs
    Interesting ! Do you know why the ice cream machine had a different behavior with Sims staying interacting with the ice cream machine until it's ready (and sadly can't multitask while they wait). Why do ice creams need Sims supervision, but popcorn don't ? :smiley:

I don't have CK so I don't have the ice cream maker but there seem to be different recipes for ice cream. Is it possible they show the sims adding ingredients and that's what keeps them engaged with it? If so, perhaps make different popcorn recipes (kettle corn, cheddar corn, spicy corn, etc.) and have them shake some seasoning into the mixer to keep them at the popcorn maker?
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
    edited September 2016
    @SimGuruEugi something I REALLY want to know is, why can we no longer change the color of an inhabited bassinet? It's a little annoying having to discover what baby gender is incoming beforehand (to buy the color we want), when we used to be able to change the color on the fly. I would like to have that back, please.

With both gender twins+ I don't even bother. I bought a pink crib and a blue crib, and of COURSE, the boy ended up attached to the pink one and the girl to the blue one.

Can this be fixed?

edit: clarity
  • s_stutlers_stutler Posts: 380 Member
    @SimGuruEugi something I REALLY want to know is, why can we no longer change the color of an inhabited bassinet? It's a little annoying having to discover what baby gender is incoming beforehand (to buy the color we want), when we used to be able to change the color on the fly. I would like to have that back, please.

With both gender twins+ I don't even bother. I bought a pink crib and a blue crib, and of COURSE, the boy ended up attached to the pink one and the girl to the blue one.

Can this be fixed?

What's even MORE annoying is how difficult it is to determine the gender beforehand! :( If you don't work at the hospital, you can't just go there. So then since you don't work there, the only time you can go there is when your Sim is in labor. Well, that defeats the purpose of finding out beforehand. By the time you leave the hospital, the baby has already teleported to your house and into the waiting bassinet if you have one, or the randomly generated one from the game. I know for me, this has had a negative affect on my gameplay, and has discouraged me from having babies in my game. I wish there was a way that Sims could visit the hospital all the time. Not just when they work there. And they could find out in the 2nd trimester what they are having, so they can create the nursery. Or just let us change the color of the bassinet after the baby is born... that works too. Just something different, because as it stands, the babies have no individuality, and I know for me, the fun has been completely removed from having a child in game. Just some things to hopefully keep in mind when putting together the next patch :)
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member

Can this be fixed?

Having tried, so far unsuccessfully, to write a mod to allow custom bassinets to be used, I am getting some insight into why the whole thing is so awkward. Correction - *how* the whole thing is so awkward. But I am still confused as to *why* it was designed the way it is. But one thing to bear in mind is that each color of an object is a seperate object. Changing the blue ribbon crib to the yellow ribbon crib is schematically as major as turning a benner coffee table into the tabula coffee table. It's literally changing to a different Object GUID. I think it gets harder once the baby is in it, as there is mapping - one baby ID comes with a particular crib ID and vice versa. I guess it was simpler just to disallow it.
    @IngeJones

Thanks!

Seems to me like the simplest thing of all would have been to not let us do it in the first place, if being able to CHOOSE our own baby's bassinet color was going to turn into such a big deal.

I wouldn't have missed it, if it hadn't been deliberately taken away, after the fact.

As it is, it's kind of a symbol to me, of all the various things we've lost along the way, as they've added new stuff. (No, I'm not making a list.)

Expansions make me very nervous. We'll get new content, cool... I just hope, for once, there isn't also a new "reduce something else" being snuck in.

I recommend we all save a copy of our game to our desktop before the CL pre-patch is released.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,832 Member
    @SimGuruEugi, are you able to shed any light on the decision to confine apartments to San Myshunu and not allow the building of apartments from scratch? I think it would go far in helping players understand why these restrictions exist. Thanks! :)
    @SimGuruEugi, are you able to shed any light on the decision to confine apartments to San Myshunu and not allow the building of apartments from scratch? I think it would go far in helping players understand why these restrictions exist. Thanks! :)

This is just guessing and Eugi or a colleague can tell you the real reason, but I think the apartment block shells might be stuck onto the world like some of the items in the public spaces, and each individual apartment is its own seperate lot, raised up above the normal height for a lot, and positioned so its edges coincide with the walls of the shell. There is no programmatical reason why you can't have 4 seperate lots in the exact same place, but obviously apartments are not exactly the same place, they are different heights.
  • Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member

This is just guessing and Eugi or a colleague can tell you the real reason, but I think the apartment block shells might be stuck onto the world like some of the items in the public spaces, and each individual apartment is its own seperate lot, raised up above the normal height for a lot, and positioned so its edges coincide with the walls of the shell. There is no programmatical reason why you can't have 4 seperate lots in the exact same place, but obviously apartments are not exactly the same place, they are different heights.

I'm pretty sure that it's just the inability to insert the lot and zone data for 'apartment' types into the existing worlds due to lack of pre-existing framework.
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • MinnieMouseMinnieMouse Posts: 262 Member

SimGuruDaniel addressed it here:

I'm sad that we won't be able to build them, but I guess I do understand the reasoning behind it.
    Yes but that doesn't explain it technically.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top