Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Vsync not working for the Sim3 on Windows 10

I always get screen tearing in the sims 3 no matter what I set my fps to in nividia inspector, I have tried using vsync in nividia and d3doverrider and still it tears. I also tried another monitor that never tears with my friends sims 3. My gpu is the GTX960M and sims is recognising it. I just want vsync to work so it won't tear :(

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    have you added the game to nvidia control panel and using vsync there? You need to be in full screen mode for it to work.What game patch are you on 1.67 or 1.69?
  • lloyd118lloyd118 Posts: 8 New Member
    I've done that and it still tears and I'm on 1.69
    have you added the game to nvidia control panel and using vsync there? You need to be in full screen mode for it to work.What game patch are you on 1.67 or 1.69?

Thanks for the reply, I've done that and it still tearing. Sorry should of stated I'm on 1.69
    lloyd118 wrote: »

Thanks for the reply, I've done that and it still tearing. Sorry should of stated I'm on 1.69

Your welcome . People report on 1.69 patch vsync may not work so try nvidia inspector . http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Sorry to barge in here, but hasn't the OP said they already tried Inspector?

@lloyd118 - Are you using the correct executable for these fps limiting tools? It has to be TS3.exe for Patch 1.69, not TS3w.exe (that is, should be the one without the "w") and are you playing in full-screen mode as opposed to windowed?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    igazor wrote: »
    Sorry to barge in here, but hasn't the OP said they already tried Inspector?

@lloyd118 - Are you using the correct executable for these fps limiting tools? It has to be TS3.exe for Patch 1.69, not TS3w.exe (that is, should be the one without the "w") and are you playing in full-screen mode as opposed to windowed?

sorry Im tired. Did not see op state they used inspector but @chesterbigbird maybe able to help with inspector
    @igazor Yes I'm using the correct executables, the fps limiter is working just vsync isn't, or at least it doesn't seem to be as I get tearing. I play mainly in fullscreen, in window mode the tearing isn't as bad but definitely still there.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Reason I asked that one is that vsync isn't even supposed to work in windowed mode, it's full-screen only. But let's wait for chesterbigbird's suggestions as to what to do next, she's an expert on these kinds of things.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Xavy_CatXavy_Cat Posts: 350 Member
    edited September 2016
    I always get screen tearing in the sims 3 no matter what I set my fps to in nividia inspector, I have tried using vsync in nividia and d3doverrider and still it tears. I also tried another monitor that never tears with my friends sims 3. My gpu is the GTX960M and sims is recognising it. I just want vsync to work so it won't tear :(

I am by no means and expert, but I have a laptop with a 960m and Windows 10. You have to enable vsync through the Nividia Control Panel and Intel's graphics properties (At least I think). For the Intel, right click the desktop, go to graphics properties, 3D Settings, then make sure Vsync is set to "Driver Settings". For Nvidia right click the desktop, go to the Nvidia control panel, manage 3D settings, then make sure the TS3w.exe is set to use vsync and to use the Nvidia card. That should do it. I'm not sure why, but turning vsync on through the Nvidia control panel alone doesn't work for me. I think it has something with dual card set ups.
    ms-gif-sims%201_zps4784kijd.gif
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    @igazor Yes I'm using the correct executables, the fps limiter is working just vsync isn't, or at least it doesn't seem to be as I get tearing. I play mainly in fullscreen, in window mode the tearing isn't as bad but definitely still there.

Have you actually looked at the fps in game? use cheat code "fps on" and monitor the fps there. if over 60 come back and let us know.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

Nikoa wrote: »

I am by no means and expert, but I have a laptop with a 960m and Windows 10. You have to enable vsync through the Nividia Control Panel and Intel's graphics properties (At least I think). For the Intel, right click the desktop, go to graphics properties, 3D Settings, then make sure Vsync is set to "Driver Settings". For Nvidia right click the desktop, go to the Nvidia control panel, manage 3D settings, then make sure the TS3w.exe is set to use vsync and to use the Nvidia card. That should do it. I'm not sure why, but turning vsync on through the Nvidia control panel alone doesn't work for me. I think it has something with dual card set ups.

Thanks a lot, no body ever mentioned doing this, and for now it's seems the tearing has gone!!! I am so pleased thank you again, hopefully this is permanent and yes I didn't do the driver setting on Intel for vsync xD

Thanks a lot, no body ever mentioned doing this, and for now it's seems the tearing has gone!!! I am so pleased thank you again, hopefully this is permanent and yes I didn't do the driver setting on Intel for vsync xD

Glad to help! :smile:

We did mention it. I guess you did not read previous posts

edited September 2016

I think OP was referring to also enabling vsync through Intel's graphics properties lol, not just Nvidia's.
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    just make sure the game is using the NVIDIA card and not intel.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

I think OP was referring to also enabling vsync through Intel's graphics properties lol, not just Nvidia's.

Oh lol. My laptop has the intel card disabled
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Gosh, I'm going to try this! My laptop has a 960m and nothing I've tried has limited FPS. I don't get any screen tearing though, just very high FPS even though I've tried Inspector and the Control panel.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Oh my gosh, @Nikoa thank you so much for posting your solution! It's working!! My FPS is saying any 60 or below. You made my day!
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • arellano80arellano80 Posts: 2 New Member
    Another possible solution: :)

Create a desktop shortcut for the TS3.exe or TS3W.exe file located where the game was installed.

Go to the desktop, select the shortcut, press the left button and then select Properties.

in the compatibility tab, select the check box:

"Disable full-screen optimizations"

Ready.

I think this can correct the tear effect on full screen, tested on Intel HD 4600 in Windows 10.