Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disappeared Saved Games

I just got this game about a week and a half or so ago. It's worked fine for me; no issues or anything.

Yesterday, I decided to record a video--a Sims 4 Let's Play for my YouTube channel. Because my computer (MacBook) doesn't have that much space, I ran out halfway through the recording, so I decided to give my computer more room and move Origin and everything pertaining to The Sims 4 onto my external hard drive. Then I continued recording, no problem.

Then today, I went to record part two of the Let's Play. I got onto Origin just fine, started up The Sims 4, got to the load screen...and all of my games were gone. Just gone.

This infuriated me. Before yesterday, I had two other families--one that I made the day I got the game and had several hours put into and a pretty good family tree going, and another I made about four days prior. Then yesterday I made the third family for my YouTube Let's Play. And yesterday, even after moving EVERYTHING pertaining to Origin and The Sims 4 onto the external hard drive, EVERYTHING WORKED. And then I go on today to record part two and all three families are gone?

Now, I've never used the floppy disc and load button that was supposedly on the top right of the load screen to save and load my games. I only used the giant play button to enter my game and the smaller + button next to it to create a new family. I only "save", not "save as", while playing and before closing out of the game for the day. The only time I ever "saved as" was after I created each new family.

I also never deleted my cache files--in fact, I've never even looked inside the folder until today when I read a "fix" that said to delete all cache files. There aren't any cache files in the folder at all. I don't know if that's a problem or not, considering I never even touched them.

Also, the latest save I have for my first two families was the correct time two days ago, when I last played them. I know for a fact that they were there yesterday, though, so this is the first day they were all gone.

Please, I really want a fix. I don't want to restart my families all over again because I know they just won't be the same, and I never put them or their houses in the gallery, so it's not like I can just get them back from there. The only things I can find that are the same as my problem are from two years ago, and there were no fixes then. I'm hoping that in the two years since, at least someone will have found a permanent fix.

Also, if someone does have a fix, please explain every detail as simply as possible. I know nothing about computers. And please remember that I play on a MacBook Pro.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,581 Member
    Hello.
    Are your save game files still in your documents -electronic arts -sims 4- saves folder? Try seeing if they are still there.

If they are, launch the game, and in the main screen, go to the load button ( the one that has the floppy disc sign on it ) press that button, and see if your save game files are there. You can then choose what save game to load from the menu.
    If the load button isn't there, start a new save game, play the game for a little while, save the game. Then come completely out of the game. Go back in to the game, press the load button and see if your save game files are in the menu.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    I don't know much about computers myself, but do you think maybe you are not accessing the hard drive where the games are stored? At least this will bump your thread @rosemow or @DeKay might be able to help.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,581 Member
    Hello
    Your thread has been moved to the Mac section of the forums. Your issue may have been connected to your placement of origin and the other files on an external drive. There will be Mac simmers who wil help you with your issues,
  • eeflynn98eeflynn98 Posts: 5 New Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello.
    Are your save game files still in your documents -electronic arts -sims 4- saves folder? Try seeing if they are still there.

If they are, launch the game, and in the main screen, go to the load button ( the one that has the floppy disc sign on it ) press that button, and see if your save game files are there. You can then choose what save game to load from the menu.
    If the load button isn't there, start a new save game, play the game for a little while, save the game. Then come completely out of the game. Go back in to the game, press the load button and see if your save game files are in the menu.

My save game files are still all there, but when I launch the game, the floppy disc isn't there.

So I did your other suggestion, and when I went back on, the floppy disc was there, but the only game file there was was the one I had just created, none of the ones that I lost...
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    Your thread has been moved to the Mac section of the forums. Your issue may have been connected to your placement of origin and the other files on an external drive. There will be Mac simmers who wil help you with your issues,

Oh, okay. Thank you.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    It sounds as if your Sims 4 doesn't know where to get the stored data from. In other words, it isn't recognizing the external hard drive as the place where to read and write the saved data. Check your external hard drive. What is the time stamp on the saved games from there? If it is the last time you played, then for some reason when the game starts up it is pulling from your laptop and not the external hard drive.

Let us know the answers first and then we'll work on the solution.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    The latest one was yesterday at 1:30 pm, which was the last time I played.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    Have you tried taking out all the files from your Documents (or equivalent to that in Mac) and then start the game? Then, start a new test game and save that and exit. You will get some new files in your Saves folder. Then just move all the ones you had before and replace any 'duplicates'.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    It sounds as if your Sims 4 doesn't know where to get the stored data from. In other words, it isn't recognizing the external hard drive as the place where to read and write the saved data. Check your external hard drive. What is the time stamp on the saved games from there? If it is the last time you played, then for some reason when the game starts up it is pulling from your laptop and not the external hard drive.

Let us know the answers first and then we'll work on the solution.
    DeKay wrote: »
    Have you tried taking out all the files from your Documents (or equivalent to that in Mac) and then start the game? Then, start a new test game and save that and exit. You will get some new files in your Saves folder. Then just move all the ones you had before and replace any 'duplicates'.

So, great news! After reading both your comments, and taking the advice of @DeKay of taking the files out of my Documents folder and restarting the game, I realized that my game really didn't know where to pull the game saves from. So I took my EA folder out of my external hard drive and placed it back on my computer, and voila! All three of my games are back and safe. Thanks all who helped me and gave me your advice!

Have a great evening!
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    I'm glad you fixed it. Next time, try to keep your game in the computer. Sometimes you will might get problems if you play it on an external drive!
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Another hint. You should back up your saves periodically on your external hard drive or have your external hard drive set so that Time Machine (a Mac feature) automatically backs up your files. This means that all your files, programs, etc. will be saved on the external hard drive. I have one connected to my iMac and it saved me a lot of hassles.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.