Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Load Times

What's the load time supposed to be?

I have a 2015 macbook pro w/ 8 GB ram but it takes about 25 minutes for my household to load at start of game and around 5-10 min when traveling between lots.

I do have 2 gb of CC.
Gallery : VintageSaturday // Simblr : S.E. Sims
ltx83WK.png

Comments

• Options
    Icy_LavaIcy_Lava Posts: 5,461 Member
    It shouldn't take that long :(
  • Options
    RoffeyGleshRoffeyGlesh Posts: 579 Member
    Absolutely shouldn't take that long... My sister has the same MacBook as you and we joke that with her SSD drive, if anything, she can be in the game twice as fast as my Windows laptop!

A suggestion is to remove your CC folder to the desktop and load the game without it just to test... If it's faster, it may be worth rotating your CC around in the game so as to have a faster startup instead of using all of it all the time :)

Give it a go and let us know how it goes :)
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Just remember the more CC you have, the longer it will take your game (any version) to load up.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    vintagesaturdayvintagesaturday Posts: 258 Member
    Yeah, I know people have like 9GB+ of CC and it still loads fine so I didn't think that was the problem because I tried clearing it out and am still having the load issue. I also tried getting rid of my household inventory but it didn't help.

I will try removing all CC and see if it helps any.
    ltx83WK.png
  • Options
    Also, update, I don't have the SSD option. Apparently I have a 500 GB hard drive instead...I think I bought mine literally a month before the new models with a SSD came out.

Does a hard drive vs a SSD make a difference?
    ltx83WK.png
  • Options
    Lunder89Lunder89 Posts: 155 Member
    A regular Mac harddrive can read and write information at 50 - 70 MB/s (Megabytes per second). A good SSD can do 500 MB/s. And the modern Macs SSDs can handle 1000 MB/s.

That was the long answer, the short answer would be: Yes, quite a bit.
    SSDs that can read an write 500 MB/s can be bough relatively cheap, and would be a serious speed up for your Mac. Macs harddrive are slow when they ship, and even slower when they get 2-3 years old.
  • Options
    Thank you, seeing the breakdown helps. Are you saying it's possible for mw to purchase a SSD and upgrade my macbook? My pro is 1 year and a couple months old.
    ltx83WK.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Yes, but depending on model, you might need some special screw drivers, or some professional (expensive) help.

First things first.
    If you click the Apple logo, and then select "About this Mac". Then it will say which Mac you have, on my Mac it says: iMac (Retina 5K, 27'', late 2015)

Paste that here, and I will find the correct guide for you on ifixit. There you can find exactly how to do it, and what you need.

However, if you have the Mac I think you have, the most difficult part will be to reinstall OS X. And that is something I can help you with, as I do almost every day as a part of my work.
  • Options
    NateCurate13NateCurate13 Posts: 5 New Member
    W'll, according to your household and traveling times, it should take around 2 hours, because my PC has the same times.
  • Options
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) - I don't know why it says 2012 though, because I bought it in March of 2015 from the Apple store as brand new.

I am running version 10.11.5 El Capitan
    ltx83WK.png
  • Options
    The reason it says Mid 2012, is because that is when the MacBook was last refreshed. Meaning it hasn't had in upgrade in internal components since mid 2012.

the guide to replace the harddrive is here: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Hard+Drive+Replacement/10378

If you let the Mac run out of battery power (by simply keep using it until it turns off on its own, you can skip the step of disconnecting the battery.

It seems you need a custom screwdriver for removing the screws in the harddrive though.

Since you bought in in March, the warranty is still valid, and taking it apart will void that warranty!
    You might consider getting someone in an Apple Store or Apple authorized workshop to do the actual replacement.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited July 2016
    Lunder89 wrote: »
    Since you bought in in March, the warranty is still valid, and taking it apart will void that warranty!

No it won't. The user can upgrade the RAM and hard drives on that model Mac (in fact all non-retina MacBook Pros) without voiding the warranty. They're classed as user serviceable parts and Apple even provide the instructions on their own website on how to do it. Of course, if the user breaks something whilst doing it then Apple won't cover fixing it but it certainly doesn't invalidate the warranty on the Mac. I promise :)

Excellent article on upgrading a hard drive - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4741
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Thank you for the tip!
    ltx83WK.png
  • Options
    Linabelina360Linabelina360 Posts: 362 Member
    What's the load time supposed to be?

I have a 2015 macbook pro w/ 8 GB ram but it takes about 25 minutes for my household to load at start of game and around 5-10 min when traveling between lots.

I do have 2 gb of CC.

When I first installed TS4 it took that long... I was about to stop playing. I don't know what happened but, it started working much better after a while

Ik this is going to sound stupid and uncomplicated and like, oh that's not going to work, but I'm pretty sure it helped me... did you try to restart your computer?
    tumblr_n9ycvbU66h1tv6zypo1_500.gif
    The heart can't beat with out a rhythm
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Make sure you are updated to the latest patch as well. That has helped several people with the load times.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options

No it won't. The user can upgrade the RAM and hard drives on that model Mac (in fact all non-retina MacBook Pros) without voiding the warranty.

Thanks for the correction. In Denmark the rules are apparently a bit different. Here if we open a computer we void warranty :-)
  • Options
    edited July 2016

No it won't. The user can upgrade the RAM and hard drives on that model Mac (in fact all non-retina MacBook Pros) without voiding the warranty.

Thanks for the correction. In Denmark the rules are apparently a bit different. Here if we open a computer we void warranty :-)

That shouldn't be the case with the Macs I've mentioned though, their policies are worldwide :)

Post edited by BluebellFlora on
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    I am sure if you push the store hard enough, you can get them to cooperate. But this ain't easy. Getting a display replacement on my old MacBook Pro Retina 15" (early 2013) was hard enough. I had to reference the repair docs from Apple to get them to replace the display.
    (In case you are unaware some of the first displays had a common problem, where images would "persist" or burn-in if you will, after closing them.)
  • Options
    I am sure if you push the store hard enough, you can get them to cooperate. But this ain't easy. Getting a display replacement on my old MacBook Pro Retina 15" (early 2013) was hard enough. I had to reference the repair docs from Apple to get them to replace the display.
    (In case you are unaware some of the first displays had a common problem, where images would "persist" or burn-in if you will, after closing them.)

Yep, I remember the ghosting problem. I think they were LG screens? That was a nightmare.

But Apple's policy with the non-retina MacBook Pros and old black and white MacBooks has always been the same with regards to drives and RAM. It used to be the case with RAM upgrades in the older iMacs too. I really hate how the retina MacBook Pros are non-upgradeable. You end up paying way more than you should for extra RAM at the point of sale and can't replace the flash drive if it fails a few years down the line. I'm clinging onto my 2012 15" MBP for dear life!

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Yup, the LG screens where real troublemakers. And to get a replacement was worse. The workshop where it was "repaired" at first said they couldn't find the problem, then they claimed it was the products quality, and the ghosting was suppose to appear. It wasn't until I could prove, that in Apples own stores, customers could demand a Samsung display-replacement, if the ghosting appeared. And then it took a month in repair. But it never did it again. And will likely not do it with its new owner either.

And I guess the price for the thin designs, is the lack of upgradeability. I would just prefer the darn things didn't overheat when they were playing games. What is the point in putting a discreet graphics card in the machines, when after 5 minutes they need to be throttled to 40% performance anyway...

And the worst part is, most PC makers are staring to make thin gaming notebooks, with these problems now.