Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    edited August 2016
    Final June Submission List

June's Theme: Balderdash

This month you have a list of unusual words to choose from. You may have heard of some/many/all of them before, but you likely hear every day. Choose one from the list as inspiration for your short story in June. You can use it as this title - you might define your chosen word in your story, but those things are not required. One definite rule this month is that you must use your chosen word at least once in some way in your story. More than one person can choose the same word. (Also feel free to post which word you want to use in the thread.)

dotish, epizeuxis, yokel, hornswoggle, lollygag, xenology, tarradiddle, necromancy, collywobbles, jejune, impavid, wanderlust, grandiloquent, porphyrophobia, bumbledom, kerfuffle, omphaloskepsis, zagadoo

Special Rules: None this month. The usual 500-1500 word and 1-12 screenshot limit are in place.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Submissions:
    Queen Bee by @CitizenErased14 (1st Place)
    Till The End by @SilentWolf101
    The Chair by @lisabee2 (2nd Place)
    Wanderess by @putacece4lyfe
    Dark Rising by @cully_c
    The Line by @Munterbacon
    Bibliotaph by @mastressalita (3rd Place)
    Moment of Calm by @Pegasus143
    Tracks by @CathyTea
    Epizeuxis Epistaxis Excuses by @Peach77

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "For Fun" Entries: (Any stories listed here are inspired by the monthly theme, but don't follow all the rules of the challenge and aren't in the monthly poll. Sometimes writers can't put limits on their creativity, and that's all good. Enjoy!)

Post edited by Carewren123 on
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • JoieWilderJoieWilder Posts: 2,513 Member
    Ooooh, I really like July's theme. I hope I can come up with a good story this month!
    Voting Is OPEN

Voting for June winners is open at this time. (Poll closes at midnight (Central US time) on the night of July 5th. Link below)

Simply list your three favorite submitted stories (You must list three different stories). Rank doesn't matter - you don't have to list 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Just your three favorite in general. The stories with the most votes overall will win. 1st, 2nd and 3rd places will be awarded.

http://carewren123.polldaddy.com/s/june-2017

E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    lmao I'm reading all these comments and in the first moment I'm always like "My theme? What theme did I do?" until I realize people aren't talking about me xD
  • lizzielilyylizzielilyy Posts: 4,863 Member
    @Lizzie1234 yes! :blush: You don't have to have participated in the challenge to vote! Anyone can vote each month :smiley:

July's theme sounds interesting! I'm gonna ponder this one :tongue:

Great! Better get reading! :D
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    lmao I'm reading all these comments and in the first moment I'm always like "My theme? What theme did I do?" until I realize people aren't talking about me xD

LOL That is too funny! @Julyvee94
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

@SummerFalls I had a feeling you might be excited about what I named this theme :) Glad others seem to like it too!
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    Julyvee94 wrote: »

LOL That is too funny! @Julyvee94

Ha ha! This is your name month , @Julyvee94 !
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Spottydog714Spottydog714 Posts: 2,518 Member
    Aww... I ran out of time AGAIN! I think I'm gonna carry on June's story and make it fit July's.
    EkpFDaf.png
    Stories: Looking For Mum's Murderer | The Bachelorette | Fifteen
  • Emma-LeeXOXOEmma-LeeXOXO Posts: 549 Member
    Hey, I couldn't find the post where all the submission for Jun are?
    sMggKkh.png

• Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    It's here
  • SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    Voted! :D
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    @Carewren123 July's theme sounds amazing! I love starting and ending stories with the same sentence if I can so I'm really going to try to submit this July. At least there is an extra day this month... 31 days instead of 30.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    Pegasus143 wrote: »
    It's here

Thanks for asking @Emma-LeeXOXO because that reminds me I forgot to add the link to the front page. The third post of the front page of the thread is where you can find all our previous challenges. I'll go add June now.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    My friends' webserver has had some hardware failures and he's working on repairing it right now. This is the server I store all my story images on. Because of Wordpress's "image caching" (this is due to the fact that I'm linking to images stored on my friend's server, which is http, but WP is on a secure socket site, https, so to avoid security layer errors it then locally "caches" all my linked images somewhere on their servers), it appears (from my end, at least) that the images on my stories are still appearing (as they are loading out of WP's cache rather than directly off my friend's server). However, if anyone encounters any issues (as I know the Short Story voting is up right now, which is pretty much the one time people will roll in to actually read my monthly short story, heh), please hold tight! Server fuctionality will be restored probably before the end of the night, as he's already hard at work on the issue.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    My friends' webserver has had some hardware failures and he's working on repairing it right now. This is the server I store all my story images on. Because of Wordpress's "image caching" (this is due to the fact that I'm linking to images stored on my friend's server, which is http, but WP is on a secure socket site, https, so to avoid security layer errors it then locally "caches" all my linked images somewhere on their servers), it appears (from my end, at least) that the images on my stories are still appearing (as they are loading out of WP's cache rather than directly off my friend's server). However, if anyone encounters any issues (as I know the Short Story voting is up right now, which is pretty much the one time people will roll in to actually read my monthly short story, heh), please hold tight! Server fuctionality will be restored probably before the end of the night, as he's already hard at work on the issue.

Good luck to your awesome friend! :) I'll read yours tomorrow (I did peek at it earlier, and Wow! The screenshots are gorgeous and really amazing!)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    All files on my friend's server have been restored, so if any files were missing on my site (I don't think they were due to WP's caching) they should be back. All the images I use here on the forums, which were affected, are now working as well. No one should encounter any "missing image" issues now that the HDD is swapped out. Todd is still in Fremont fixing a few final things with the server (user accounts aren't restored yet) but all files are reuploaded and accessible. ^_^ (I have to say, having image hosting from a tech-savvy friend on a personal server is pretty awesome.)
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • Spottydog714Spottydog714 Posts: 2,518 Member
    edited July 2016

@mastressalita I didn't understand a word of that - too technical for my tiny brain - but I did get that something is broken and you're trying to fix it (unintentional ColdPlay reference there) but I'll sit tight and wait :)

Edit: Oh okay. It's fixed. Yay! I'm too late. Oh well.
    EkpFDaf.png
    Stories: Looking For Mum's Murderer | The Bachelorette | Fifteen
  • sweetnightingalesweetnightingale Posts: 2,084 Member
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to this thread but heard about it from another community I belong to *winks at @CathyTea*. This sounds like a lot of fun, so I'll be participating for the first time this month. :) How fitting that the theme for this month is a reference to Harry Potter since I'm a HUGE Harry Potter junkie. :grin:

I don't want to give too much away, but my story will feature characters from my story "Forever in Time." I've been toying with the idea of writing some shorter pieces that won't make it into the main story but will suppliment it in some way. That's all I'm gonna say about it for now. I just hope I can keep within the parameters. LOL! I tend to get diarrhea of the fingers when I'm on a roll; shorter pieces are a bit more challenging for me but I'm looking forward to it. :)
    36314395402_b6f8316264_z.jpg]
    Simming With Sweet Nightingale.Forever in Time, Short Stories, and much more
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Oh goodness, I only have until tomorrow to read the rest of the stories and vote for June! Ahhhhh!

@Carewren123 how has the voting turn out been? I feel concerned because of the holiday in the US that there won't be a lot of votes yet -- I know I'm certainly behind!
    snvAF3B.png
    Oh goodness, I only have until tomorrow to read the rest of the stories and vote for June! Ahhhhh!

@Carewren123 how has the voting turn out been? I feel concerned because of the holiday in the US that there won't be a lot of votes yet -- I know I'm certainly behind!

@CitizenErased14 The turn out has been comparable to previous months. Actually it already has a couple more than last month. And you have all day tomorrow. That being said... does anyone think we need a little extra time this week? I can extend it if needed.
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to this thread but heard about it from another community I belong to *winks at @CathyTea*. This sounds like a lot of fun, so I'll be participating for the first time this month. :) How fitting that the theme for this month is a reference to Harry Potter since I'm a HUGE Harry Potter junkie. :grin:

I don't want to give too much away, but my story will feature characters from my story "Forever in Time." I've been toying with the idea of writing some shorter pieces that won't make it into the main story but will suppliment it in some way. That's all I'm gonna say about it for now. I just hope I can keep within the parameters. LOL! I tend to get diarrhea of the fingers when I'm on a roll; shorter pieces are a bit more challenging for me but I'm looking forward to it. :)

@sweetnightingale We're happy to have you here. Welcome!
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• sweetnightingalesweetnightingale Posts: 2,084 Member
    edited July 2016

@sweetnightingale We're happy to have you here. Welcome!

@Carewren123 -Thank you so much. :) It's certainly nice to be here and I look forward to participating.
    36314395402_b6f8316264_z.jpg]
    Simming With Sweet Nightingale.Forever in Time, Short Stories, and much more
  • TwiggyTwiggy Posts: 995 Member
    Oh my, that's time well spent! Great job on those June entries. Loved reading the stories and got my votes in.

I like this month's theme! Hopefully, I'll find some time this month to write and submit a short story again too ;)
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    @Carewren123 I think I'll be fine with the deadline staying as-is! :) I just wanted to check in haha. I definitely know what I'll be doing tomorrow :tongue:
    snvAF3B.png
  • SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    @Carewren123 Hehe, I'm fine since I've already voted, but I wonder how other people are doing as well... There is a whole day left, not including today, but some people have schedules to keep... Hmmm...
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges